Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The best way to do a Doctor Doom plot would be to have him basically be Darkman; a hobo with a mission and way too much free time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Medullah posted:

Back then liking comics was generally not an acceptable thing. It was for us nerds and dweebs. So Marvel had to do what they could to stay alive. Then good ol RDJ came along and made comic movies cool and the Titanic unsunk itself, but they sold off their best characters to Fox and Sony, and had to rely on the B team of the Avengers to bring things back.

The best part is that they didn't really have any expectations for Iron Man. The script was more-or-less written as they went along, the lead was a washed-up relic of the 80's with a spotty past, and no one even knew who the gently caress Iron Man was until that perfect first trailer came out.

I went back and rewatched Iron Man the other day and as awesome as Guardians, Doctor Strange, and Civil War were, Iron Man is still the best "film" to come out of the whole MCU.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

This season of The Americans has probably been my favorite since season 2. So much character movement, and I can definitely see how they're setting some pieces up for the final season.

I mean, yeah, it feels like the whole season is just setting up for the next season. It feels like this season doesn't have its own season arc and it's just build up for the final seasom.

There is a lot of good character stuff, I agree.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

precision posted:

The best way to do a Doctor Doom plot would be to have him basically be Darkman; a hobo with a mission and way too much free time.

This isn't far from his Ultimate Universe origin and it was loving horrible.

And for those asking why the Marvel rights are so splintered, they were drat near done for and piece-mealing out their character rights kept them afloat.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

muscles like this! posted:

Our long national nightmare is finally over! Last Man Standing has been canceled.

Huh. I thought for sure the current political climate would've ensured at least FOUR MORE YEARS of the lovely old Boomer/ex-coke dealer delivering 22 minute parables about what's wrong with lovely entitled idiot liberal kids these days.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Medullah posted:

Back then liking comics was generally not an acceptable thing. It was for us nerds and dweebs. So Marvel had to do what they could to stay alive. Then good ol RDJ came along and made comic movies cool and the Titanic unsunk itself, but they sold off their best characters to Fox and Sony, and had to rely on the B team of the Avengers to bring things back.

I knew plenty of non-nerd/dweeb kids in middle/high school that were into comics in the '90s. It's just that a lot of comics in that era were really, really bad.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Marvel should just create a character called Dr. Mood. Just have it be how Agents of SHIELD had not-Nightcrawler, not-Electro, and a ton of not-X-Men as inhumans in the TV show. Just reappropriate or invent a new character that is essentially the same but legally different.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Just bring back Madame Masque from Agent Carter. Everything about her MCU version is Doctor Doom--obsessed with her perfect face that's been ruined by an accident, is associated with a metal mask, is a scientific--but very proud--genius dabbling in magic.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

swickles posted:

Marvel should just create a character called Dr. Mood. Just have it be how Agents of SHIELD had not-Nightcrawler, not-Electro, and a ton of not-X-Men as inhumans in the TV show. Just reappropriate or invent a new character that is essentially the same but legally different.

Maybe give him some sort of ring?

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
What the hell was the need for that whole wedding scene in the latest Americans? It came out of goddam nowhere. What is the thematic importance of that from a creative perspective and where was the context to justify the character being compelled to do right then and that way.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Looten Plunder posted:

where was the context to justify the character being compelled to do right then and that way.

The end of the preceding scene with Margo Martindale.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

raditts posted:

What he needs to be producing is more Atlanta

And albums. Star Wars ruins everything.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

BRING BACK COMMUNITY

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

better yet, don't

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Donald Glover has earned so much goodwill from me with the projects he's been involved with (30 Rock, Mystery Team, Community, Childish Gambino, and Atlanta) that I'd watch or listen to anything of his regardless of what it was.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 13:22 on May 11, 2017

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Atlanta was so good that a Deadpool cartoon almost seems beneath him at this point tbh.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Guy Mann posted:

On the other hand, when your most successful show is literally just poo poo people can watch for free on YouTube padded out with talking head segments you may as well start digging a grave for your platform then and there.

The one upside was that eventually they realized they could just ditch Tosh and give money to the funny YouTube people directly.

But then who would provide all the top notch racist, sexist, ablest, punching down and mean spirited toxic commentary?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

less laughter posted:

Atlanta was so good that a Deadpool cartoon almost seems beneath him at this point tbh.

I agree tbh

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

less laughter posted:

I was thinking about this too. Sure, the Deadpool we all know and love is the insane kooky lolrandom one from the movie and comics, but there's a hypothetical depth to the character that has only recently been explored. Brian Posehn (Sarah Silverman Program and a million other things) was writing Deadpool for a few years and did something that none of the previous writers had done--give him a conscience, which lead to him dealing with the realities of his life that he'd ignored before (the death of his parents and the daughter he didn't know he had). While it sounds boring and dark on the surface, it was actually a really good exploration of the effects of grief and loss have on a person while still remaining true to the character (and funny as gently caress to boot).

Maybe that's the direction they're gonna go with in the show, or maybe Donglover just wants a project that isn't super serious. :shrug: After all, he started in comedy.

[Edit: Also, comedies can also have serious drama moments. Rick & Morty and Bojack Horseman do a great job balancing the two, and two of You're The Worst's best episodes about depression and PTSD, respectively.]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 14:49 on May 11, 2017

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Time travels shows: Why don't they say gently caress it and reboot The Time Tunnel? It was good and horrible garbage. I bet CBS would love it.

Dr. Doom: I have thought about this forever and I cannot come up with a way they could make him cool. Maybe like an Iron Man suit but be all evil? IDK Fox makes garbage marvel movies, they're as bad as CBS.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Croatoan posted:

Time travels shows: Why don't they say gently caress it and reboot The Time Tunnel? It was good and horrible garbage. I bet CBS would love it.

Dr. Doom: I have thought about this forever and I cannot come up with a way they could make him cool. Maybe like an Iron Man suit but be all evil? IDK Fox makes garbage marvel movies, they're as bad as CBS.

Didn't Timeless start out as a Time Tunnel reboot?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Rhyno posted:

Didn't Timeless start out as a Time Tunnel reboot?

I don't know but that'd make sense as they both sucked. I thought The Time Tunnel would hold up better with today's writers and special effects but I guess Timeless had them. Just not good writers.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Made a thread for Master of None s2: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3820126

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

IRQ posted:

But then who would provide all the top notch racist, sexist, ablest, punching down and mean spirited toxic commentary?

But on the plus side, he has been responsible for some amazing comedy.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

precision posted:

They just need to make a movie based on the comic where Luke Cage comes after Dr. Doom because Doom owes him like, 200 bucks. I remember gently caress all about the plot or the reason, but Cage borrows the Fantastic Four's jet, flies all the way to Latveria, breaks into Doom's castle and tears through an assload of Doombots because Doom welshed on a bet or something.

E: Honestly, I always liked Dr. Doom when he wasn't like flat out evil. Like, when he was morally dubious or he got his moments of 'haha gently caress you Richards', or even in things where he came out the good guy after all (even if it was in stuff like 'what ifs')

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 19:50 on May 11, 2017

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Speaking of comic books stuff, finally some good news for those who want the CW to do a superhero show

http://tvweb.com/black-lightning-tv-series-order-the-cw/

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

lelandjs posted:

Marvel's been limited with the characters they can use in their films and on TV because they sold some of the rights to some of their characters to Fox and Sony ages ago. Fox has rights to *most* of the X-Men and Fantastic Four characters for TV, film, and merchandise (but not all of them, which is how Marvel was able to make a Legion TV series). Sony's got the rights to Spidey and his associated characters, but since they're batting 1/5 with the Spider-Man films (Spider-Man 2, fight me) they traded the film rights to Marvel for Civil War and Spider-Man: Homecoming in exchange for the merchandising rights for the character.

This... complicates things quite a bit when it comes to movies and TV shows featuring Marvel characters, even ones that Marvel makes. It's incredibly unclear about which characters, exactly, fall under the "X-Men" banner, since a LOT of Marvel heroes have had the reason for their powers identified as a mutation. This has actually lead to some characters having the source of powers retconned in the comics Marvel publishes (a recent issue of Squirrel Girl, published when buzz about her getting a TV show was first starting up, explicitly stated that she was not, in fact, a mutant).

However, Marvel and Marvel alone holds the rights to animated versions of all of their characters, and they're the ones making this new animated series. This means that, in the upcoming animated series, we could very well see Deadpool, Spidey, and The Thing team up to kick the poo poo out of Namor (movie rights owned by Universal).

Here's a neat graphic showing which companies own the film rights to various Marvel characters:

[Edit: If you want to get really confused, the DC hero you think of as Captain Marvel is now known as Shazam, not to be confused with Marvel Comics' completely unrelated character called Captain Marvel. Comics are confusing as gently caress.]

I thought Universal still had the right to solo Hulk movies.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I don't think Making History has actually been canceled yet.

Spoke too soon. It was canceled today along with Son of Zorn and APB.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

lelandjs posted:

I was thinking about this too. Sure, the Deadpool we all know and love is the insane kooky lolrandom one from the movie and comics, but there's a hypothetical depth to the character that has only recently been explored. Brian Posehn (Sarah Silverman Program and a million other things) was writing Deadpool for a few years and did something that none of the previous writers had done--give him a conscience, which lead to him dealing with the realities of his life that he'd ignored before (the death of his parents and the daughter he didn't know he had). While it sounds boring and dark on the surface, it was actually a really good exploration of the effects of grief and loss have on a person while still remaining true to the character (and funny as gently caress to boot).

Maybe that's the direction they're gonna go with in the show, or maybe Donglover just wants a project that isn't super serious. :shrug: After all, he started in comedy.

[Edit: Also, comedies can also have serious drama moments. Rick & Morty and Bojack Horseman do a great job balancing the two, and two of You're The Worst's best episodes about depression and PTSD, respectively.]

Joe Kelly plumbed alot of that IMO, along with Nicezea (can never get his name right).

Do need to catch up on the current run, haven't read his comics in the last couple years.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Awww, dammit. Son of Zorn getting cancelled probably means more Johnny Pemberton as Bo on Superstore :(

Freakin' Bo. A character that would've felt dated 20 years ago.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

I actually kinda enjoyed Making History, the amateur Drunk History-esque vibe it had going for it was charming. It always felt kinda "webseries" to me but in a good way, if that makes any sense.

Son of Zorn was terrible and I won't miss it at all, and the concept for APB was so tone deaf that I didn't even bother (even though it had Jo from Eureka).

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

lelandjs posted:

Son of Zorn was terrible and I won't miss it at all, and the concept for APB was so tone deaf that I didn't even bother (even though it had Jo from Eureka).

My boyfriend liked APB, but I for the life of me could not follow the plot for an entire episode. I'd be watching the whole time, but it's like my brain would do that 'you have my undivided attention' *cartoony barn animals dancing* Simpsons gag about five minutes in. The only shame is that I'm always happy to see Ernie Hudson getting work.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

American Gods got renewed.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Shageletic posted:

I thought Universal still had the right to solo Hulk movies.

They do. Same as Namor.

Also they have all animation rights, which is why the new Deadpool cartoon has to be a co-production because Fox can't do it without them.

Also I've missed a week of TV shows due to a death in the family and have no desire to catch up on any of them. I might just sit them all out until later in the summer.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Last Man Standing is cancelled

https://twitter.com/JRLeathal/status/862669283041710080
https://twitter.com/stayensafe/status/862671247808897024
https://twitter.com/theblaze/status/862724423455051776

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Gotta read those comments.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

How the hell did Tim Allen still have a sit-com in 2017, what the gently caress.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Scene from episode "Precious Snowflakes"

quote:

Allen’s character, Mike Baxter, is asked by his daughter Mandy to speak at her business school’s graduation — but there’s a catch: A school committee has to check the speech for microagressions.

Microaggressions?” Baxter asks. “You mean, like, ‘midget warriors’?”

“No,” she replies. “They’re objectionable words or phrases. For instance, ‘Midget warriors.'”

“I know what microaggressions are,” Baxter shoots back. “It’s the latest liberal attack at free speech. And a lot of fun if you do ’em right.”

Mandy then redlights her dad’s speech for phrases such as “Ladies and Gentlemen” and that America is the “land of opportunity” — but he’s having none of it.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
It was definitely politics, and had nothing to do with the fact that it was a show that had already hit that sweet syndication deal, was pulling in 7 million viewers on a good week, and was almost certainly looking at increased costs entering a 7th season.

MiddleOne posted:

How the hell did Tim Allen still have a sit-com in 2017, what the gently caress.

It was ABC's attempt to get in on that "god drat millennials, I miss the good old days" formula that works so well for CBS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I liked Last Man Standing because the middle daughter was hella hot and she always dressed like a slut

plus it was one of the only redpilled shows left on television

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

• Locked thread