Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Pacra posted:

Anyway. Here's Cap being a gym dick to the D-Man! (Should be from Avengers Vol. 3)

Nope! It's from Captain America v1 #402.

For context, D-Man has just (like, the issue before... I think, but the timeline is convoluted because a ton of books were derailed by Operation:Galactic Storm) been pulled out of the Arctic Ocean, where he was frozen in suspended animation for a while just like Cap back in the day, and was in shock; he was compliant, able to understand what he was told, but entirely non-responsive. Cap was actually trying to get some kind of response out of him and jar him back to some semblance of sanity.

Steve Rogers is not being a gym dick to D-Man! He's trying to help! D-Man is his friend! And also my friend, and cool and good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Nope! It's from Captain America v1 #402.

For context, D-Man has just (like, the issue before... I think, but the timeline is convoluted because a ton of books were derailed by Operation:Galactic Storm) been pulled out of the Arctic Ocean, where he was frozen in suspended animation for a while just like Cap back in the day, and was in shock; he was compliant, able to understand what he was told, but entirely non-responsive. Cap was actually trying to get some kind of response out of him and jar him back to some semblance of sanity.

Steve Rogers is not being a gym dick to D-Man! He's trying to help! D-Man is his friend! And also my friend, and cool and good.

Steve Rogers would never be a dick to D-Man. And yeah, I actually really have a lot of fondness for that character, and I think the early-2000s internet tendency to go longbox diving and pull out forgotten characters just to point and laugh and call them dumb loving rubes ended up seeping into the way the character was treated in the actual comics, which is a shame.

The main thing about poor old D-Man was that he had a really good heart (and I say this knowing that, in fact, he had a relatively weak heart as a result of his strength augmentation treatments). The thing about Gruenwald's run on Cap, at least in terms of the original characters he created and wrote, was that they all had some sort of point to make. I feel like D-Man's point was cautionary: being a superhero would actually be pretty terrible, no matter how pure your intentions. (Even Quasar, arguably his pet/self-identification character, got eleven colors of poo poo kicked out of him in his solo title.) I mean, every kid who grew up reading comics probably at at least one point wished they could be a superhero, if only they'd get bit by that spider or chosen for Super-Soldier serum testing or or or (etc). That was basically D-Man's through line: he got handwavey super-strength, he got rich as a wrestler, and then just straight up decided, more or less, hey, I'm gonna be Captain America's sidekick! And it went very badly for him. And to look at the character from a remove and go, "hey, what a loving dum-dum" misses the point. Of course he was. He was a fanboy trying to live the fantasy, and Earth-616 is was no place for gentle people with a good heart to try and make a difference.

Pastry of the Year fucked around with this message at 14:22 on May 7, 2017

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Pastry of the Year posted:

And yeah, I actually really have a lot of fondness for that character, and I think the early-2000s internet tendency to go longbox diving and pull out forgotten characters just to point and laugh and call them dumb loving rubes ended up seeping into the way the character was treated in the actual comics, which is a shame.

I agree, I think D-Man could have some good contemporary stories going for him, it's weird that some marvel writers went for this treatment in the past and it's apparent that it has colored my perception of him even in his earliest comic incarnations.

To be fair though, Marvel did him no favors with the costume, even if it was originally origin-intentional... he's their 100% in-house on-purpose version of 'orginal character do not steal'.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

D-Man is a solid boy.

[Captain America #328]

Cap doesn't pull him up on his suit not featuring pirate boots or dainty head wings.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Yeah, that was a joke from the get-go.

E: hahahaha beaten, but only just

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Pastry of the Year posted:

Steve Rogers would never be a dick to D-Man. And yeah, I actually really have a lot of fondness for that character, and I think the early-2000s internet tendency to go longbox diving and pull out forgotten characters just to point and laugh and call them dumb loving rubes ended up seeping into the way the character was treated in the actual comics, which is a shame.

The main thing about poor old D-Man was that he had a really good heart (and I say this knowing that, in fact, he had a relatively weak heart as a result of his strength augmentation treatments). The thing about Gruenwald's run on Cap, at least in terms of the original characters he created and wrote, was that they all had some sort of point to make. I feel like D-Man's point was cautionary: being a superhero would actually be pretty terrible, no matter how pure your intentions. (Even Quasar, arguably his pet/self-identification character, got eleven colors of poo poo kicked out of him in his solo title.) I mean, every kid who grew up reading comics probably at at least one point wished they could be a superhero, if only they'd get bit by that spider or chosen for Super-Soldier serum testing or or or (etc). That was basically D-Man's through line: he got handwavey super-strength, he got rich as a wrestler, and then just straight up decided, more or less, hey, I'm gonna be Captain America's sidekick! And it went very badly for him. And to look at the character from a remove and go, "hey, what a loving dum-dum" misses the point. Of course he was. He was a fanboy trying to live the fantasy, and Earth-616 is was no place for gentle people with a good heart to try and make a difference.

D-Man was a True Believer in the very best way, like Six Pack.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Ghostlight posted:

Cap doesn't pull him up on his suit not featuring pirate boots or dainty head wings.

Also, in keeping with funny panels and Gru-Cap chat

prefect posted:

D-Man got (apparently) blown up because he was trying to save an ULTIMATUM rank-and-file dude from getting killed.

That's a true believer.

Pastry of the Year fucked around with this message at 00:45 on May 8, 2017

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
I reread Gruenwald's Cap run recently and anyone who says D-Man is bad is a horrible person and I will fight them. :colbert:

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Anyone remember what issue of Secret Wars focused solely on D-Man for half the book?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

SilverSupernova posted:

Anyone remember what issue of Secret Wars focused solely on D-Man for half the book?

Secret Wars, Too

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Yeah D-Man has the greatest day of his life, Jarvis tells him that Cap talks about him all the time and respects the hell out of him, he gets in the ring again and wins the championship with his new Tag-Team partner Rage and eats a bunch of pie. The issue ends with D-Man sitting on a bench looking up to see the Ultimate Earth slamming into 616.

Secret Wars Too had a solid pile of little stories, I even enjoyed the goofy Cyclops vs Wolverine vs Beardevil vs Foggy vs Bear Foggy bit.

TGG fucked around with this message at 07:52 on May 9, 2017

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
It also has the best resurrection gag I've seen.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
'Underverse' is a pretty lame name for an afterlife/demon dimension.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Pureauthor posted:

'Underverse' is a pretty lame name for an afterlife/demon dimension.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpMVJZ05No4&t=7s

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

biracial bear for uncut posted:

It also has the best resurrection gag I've seen.

Oh god drat it I just got the pun

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Welcome to the limit!

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

dont even fink about it posted:

Welcome to the limit!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZu5iDTtNg0

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

FF #67

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
dang it, another nega-reed. ben, get the broom.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I like this one better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJqEUg9dRzs

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

We get it, Reed, you're disappointed with your Fitbit.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Brilliance

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

prefect posted:

In the context of the book (All-Star Section 8 #6) this is less 'haha' funny and more 'existence is incredibly bleak' funny. But it does track pretty well with the "it would actually be terrible to be a superhero" aspect of D-Man.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

[Avengers #11]

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
That face is brilliant.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Should that be :thor:, or :forsooth:?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

[Avengers #11]

Jesus, Thor is pissed about the hair comment.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Hell I'd be pissed too if someone came at me with a gendered insult like that.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Should that be :thor:, or :forsooth:?

:thorsooth:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Ghostlight posted:

[Avengers #11]

Spider-Man is suffering from microcephaly in that panel.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Mikl posted:

Sleepless Domain (it's a webcomic)

In this setting many girls have superpowers, which they use to fight monsters. While at school the protagonist Undine (blue-haired girl) is eating lunch with Heartful Punch, whose power is "punches things very hard".

I dunno, I and all of my casual lifting friends thought this was delightful.

Her super name should be Powdermancer, though. Or maybe PowderNancy

That Ignorant Sap
Nov 20, 2010

YOU AIN'T LOOKIN' AT A
BUNCH OF RHINOS, HERE.

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

That face is brilliant.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Mile'ionaha posted:

I dunno, I and all of my casual lifting friends thought this was delightful.

Mary Cagle is delightful in general.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

ImpAtom posted:

Jesus, Thor is pissed about the hair comment.

Just stick to calling him a beardless whelp.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
John Cassaday draws the poo poo out of classic Cap.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Things that made me chuckle this week:

Star Wars - The Screaming Citadel 1

Rock Candy Mountain 2

Bug! The Adventures of Forager 1

Old Man Logan 23

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

John Cassaday draws the poo poo out of classic Cap.

Forget Nazi Cap, this is definitely the much bigger travesty against Captain America in the past few years! This stupid push to redesign his costume to be all "realistic" and movie like. BRING BACK THE HEADWINGS!

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Bug! The Adventures of Forager 1

Is that supposed to be Lump from Sandman?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Is that supposed to be Lump from Sandman?

The dude in red and yellow is the golden age sandman, so it seems like a safe bet.