Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

You just have to get angles on them with corners mostly, that and if you can dodge their little shackle reliably they're screwed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

BioEnchanted posted:

It's amazing just how poorly Mirror's Edge 1 has held up with it's controls. I've played a Free Running game on the PS2 that controlled easier than that (The one I did for Insetik's extreme sport game thread).

What game? I love.mirror's edge, and loved insetik's old thread. I submitted some terrible fanfics for it :(

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

FactsAreUseless posted:

You really don't need to be switching Plague Knight's equipment a lot mid-level. You might want a different setup at the start, but SK levels are pretty consistent in how they work from start to finish.

I switch around a lot because they're all fun to use and I like taking care of problems safely. Using the fish bomb and dragon punch staff arcanas liberally definitely help mitigate the issues, but it really could be a lot quicker and smoother.
Like give me a Dawn of Sorrow item set button or let me quick swap the casings and it would be so much better.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Action Tortoise posted:

Holy poo poo Upper Cathedral Ward is rear end.

These mindflayers with their hyperarmor grab attacks and freeze spells. I've lost so much insight I've become Charlie at the end of Flowers for Algernon.

That part is hard but I ended up liking it. You exploit the hallways to kill the werewolves and then the two brainguys do the same thing to you. It's a straight up test of reflexes, I never found a way to outsmart it (unless the magic shield works (whoa))

The grab animation takes too god drat long though!!

BioEnchanted posted:

It's amazing just how poorly Mirror's Edge 1 has held up with it's controls. I've played a Free Running game on the PS2 that controlled easier than that (The one I did for Insetik's extreme sport game thread).

i thought that was good too. it's more finicky and more responsive than other modern platformers, it's like FPS mario. It's been a long time since I played it though.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Action Tortoise posted:

These mindflayers with their hyperarmor grab attacks and freeze spells. I've lost so much insight I've become Charlie at the end of Flowers for Algernon.

I breezed through this with zero difficulty on my first playthrough and then every time since I've lost like 20 insight slogging through.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Turned out fire was a big weakness. Got me to respec my saw spear and go back to it after spending so much time with ludwigs sword

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Is there any game-mechanic worse than Demon's Souls with its unique upgrading-items that are randomly-dropped from non-respawning enemies that laugh at you when you miss them?

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 23:40 on May 9, 2017

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Is there any game-mechanic worse than Demon's Souls with its unique upgrading-items that are randomly-dropped from non-respawning enemies that laugh at you when you miss them?

Obtuse poo poo like the Zodiac Spear in FF12 or the entirety of Unlimited SaGa

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

swamp waste posted:

That part is hard but I ended up liking it. You exploit the hallways to kill the werewolves and then the two brainguys do the same thing to you. It's a straight up test of reflexes, I never found a way to outsmart it (unless the magic shield works (whoa))

The grab animation takes too god drat long though!!

For me it's more their range with the chasing grab and the instant recovery when they cast a spell. They can freeze you up and walk down the entire hallway and still grab you before you break out. And yeah having to find guys with such ridiculous range in cramped hallways is not the ideal environment you wanna fight them.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
edit:
Apparently I kind of posted this post in the pyf little things too, but that's been quoted so I guess I'll edit it out here.

scarycave has a new favorite as of 01:14 on May 10, 2017

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Action Tortoise posted:

You want some kind of thrust weapon for those guys, I think.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

BioEnchanted posted:

Tbh, I think the only thing that's held up from Mirror's Edge is the fantastic art design.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

So has the soundtrack by solar fields.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
The problem with Mirror's Edge is less the platforming, which is at least decent for what it is, and more the level/encounter design. They should have made the maps a touch less linear, so that if you don't make one specific jump pixel-perfect, it doesn't kill your momentum. It's not fun when you're attempting the same section over and over, but it's not bad when you get a good flow going.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gloryhold It! posted:

the entirety of Unlimited SaGa

There might be a game with a single worse design decision than unlimited saga, or even several very bad decisions, but nothing stacks up to the complete gently caress you of Unlimited Saga.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Was Unlimited Saga the game where you can play as a squirrel man and you fight using a roulette wheel thing and move around a board game like thing while getting killed by traps?

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Were any of the Saga games any good? I remember playing Saga Frontier when I was a kid and I liked the multiple characters idea but as I recall the story was really loving bad and it was REALLY grind heavy.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Barudak posted:

There might be a game with a single worse design decision than unlimited saga, or even several very bad decisions, but nothing stacks up to the complete gently caress you of Unlimited Saga.

I used to work at a game store that had a no returns policy except for Unlimited Saga, because we knew for a fact nobody would like it. Maybe there was that one insane person out there who thought it was the best game ever, but it was never any of the people who tried to buy it.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

OldTennisCourt posted:

Were any of the Saga games any good? I remember playing Saga Frontier when I was a kid and I liked the multiple characters idea but as I recall the story was really loving bad and it was REALLY grind heavy.

The first one on the gameboy, which was released as FF Legend let you kill god, who was an amish man.
The others I played were good, but a little obtuse.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Gloryhold It! posted:

The first one on the gameboy, which was released as FF Legend let you kill god, who was an amish man.

Who you can kill in one hit with a saw. Good game.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
One of the PS2 Sagas has a sweet commercial with one of the characters walking along as the world changed and characters passed by him.

I have no other knowledge of the series besides that.

Should I finish the rest of Bloodborne's base game bosses or add the Old Hunters and finish those before fighting Mergo's Wet Nurse? I've got Nightmare of Mensis left and I've barely dipped into the Chalice Dungeons.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I'd say go for The Old Hunters as soon as you feel comfortable. Its difficulty ramps right up, but the first boss is incredibly satisfying.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Old Hunters has the most fun weapons in the game so do it as soon as possible.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Finally beat the boat level in Mirror's Edge. I think I only have 2(?) levels to go, and hopefully there won't be nearly as much fighting to come. The boat is possibly the worst level in the game. The doors with the wheels take far too long to open and it all but forces you to actually fight the cops, who can kill you really quickly, so that you can platform in peace. And the fights with the assassin sucked. Is Mirror's Edge 2 actually better, or does it have enough issues to make it about the same?

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
server room

you may die
Dec 15, 2013

Action Tortoise posted:

One of the PS2 Sagas has a sweet commercial with one of the characters walking along as the world changed and characters passed by him.

Should I finish the rest of Bloodborne's base game bosses or add the Old Hunters and finish those before fighting Mergo's Wet Nurse? I've got Nightmare of Mensis left and I've barely dipped into the Chalice Dungeons.

Yeah if you're up to Mergo's Wet Nurse you're probably levelled enough to start Old Hunters. It's harder than the base game so if you can get through it then the last few bosses of the base game are way easier than the last few bosses of OH. The big thing is that you can't access the DLC until you're several hours into the game (and it'll take much longer before you're leveled up enough, though I haven't played NG+ so I'm not sure how that scales) so you'll want to play through the DLC before you trigger the endgame if you plan on doing it at all.

There's some good late game gear in Nightmare of Mensis before you fight Mergo's Wet Nurse though.

edit for content: a little thing I love in Bloodborne is the language of the notes. I haven't played any other From Software games so I don't know if they're the same way but some real gems can come from the terminology they use and the rhythm of the way clauses link. I cracked up when I fought the Witch of Hemwick, a boss where a second, identical witch spawns partway through the fight, and found a note that said "Have audience with small woman / and have audience with small woman"

you may die has a new favorite as of 22:54 on May 10, 2017

Barudak
May 7, 2007

OldTennisCourt posted:

The very first, FF2, is fine and the first official Saga game is fine. Each afterwards adds a new layer of unexplained unpredictable complexity and weird quirks like ending a campaign during the final boss fight and just freezing the screen until you ended up with unlimited saga where the "basic mechanics" explanation in a strategy guide runs dozens upon dozens of pages before ending with some notes they still dont understand what causes certain things.

Seriously, everyone should try to play Unlimited Saga at least once.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Gloryhold It! posted:

The others I played were good, but a little obtuse.
There's a great Jackie Kashian bit about this, which is probably why she has never found mainstream success in comedy.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Action Tortoise posted:

Yes, do Old Hunters. It's going to seem insanely difficult at first, but it's even harder on NG+1 so it's best to do it in your first game. The Chalice Dungeons, on the other hand, are actually better to do in NG+1 and beyond since the enemy difficulty there doesn't get influenced by it at all, and you'll have better weapons and a higher level

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

FactsAreUseless posted:

There's a great Jackie Kashian bit about this, which is probably why she has never found mainstream success in comedy.

That's literally why it popped into my head so readily

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Gloryhold It! posted:

That's literally why it popped into my head so readily
lmao I love Something Awful

you may die
Dec 15, 2013

Kit Walker posted:

Yes, do Old Hunters. It's going to seem insanely difficult at first, but it's even harder on NG+1 so it's best to do it in your first game. The Chalice Dungeons, on the other hand, are actually better to do in NG+1 and beyond since the enemy difficulty there doesn't get influenced by it at all, and you'll have better weapons and a higher level

I had to put in some substantial work on the chalice dungeons just to grind up enough to beat Old Hunters, but others' mileage may vary because I'm pretty sure I failed to git gud at any time and just managed to beat the game by pure level grindage.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Barudak posted:

like ending a campaign during the final boss fight and just freezing the screen

if your game doesn't end with me suplexing satan in hell from now into eternity i don't want to play it

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Action Tortoise posted:

Only downside to Plague Knights gameplay is having to pause the action to switch up his gear. I know it's supposed to be a holdover from its megaman/castlevania roots but it still breaks up the flow.

The 3DS version doesn't have this problem and is thus the definitive version of the game.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

BioEnchanted posted:

Finally beat the boat level in Mirror's Edge. I think I only have 2(?) levels to go, and hopefully there won't be nearly as much fighting to come. The boat is possibly the worst level in the game. The doors with the wheels take far too long to open and it all but forces you to actually fight the cops, who can kill you really quickly, so that you can platform in peace. And the fights with the assassin sucked. Is Mirror's Edge 2 actually better, or does it have enough issues to make it about the same?

Don't worry the boat level is the only level with mandatory fighting outside the Ropeburn QTE.
Honestly the boat level is the thing dragging Mirror's Edge down for me since it so poorly laid out and has unique elements that don't really work with the game(the van, the bulkhead doors, boss fights)

ME:Catalyst would be an ok game if it was just the story missions, but the open world really sucks, it''s made up of islands with very few "bridges" so you are going to be running over the same route a lot of the time. Also it really upped the mandatory combat and it breaks the flow a lot.
Say what you will about upgrade systems but having to buy basic traversal stuff really sucks.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

This is just a blanket complaint but is there some kind of blood pact on video games that says your character has to have an alcohol tolerance of a blue jay? Seems like every game besides LISA that lets you drink makes your vision sway around like you've shakycam going after one drink. And if you go for more than one then you're totally hosed and everything's just a blurred after-imaged mess that you can't keep track of poo poo with.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
To be fair it's hard to simulate "slightly buzzed" or "eh, a little tipsy".

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Maxwell Lord posted:

It'd be nice to not have the screen sway around like you're tackling the high seas in a rowboat after 1 drink too.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

Just make enemies appear slightly lower levels, and any floating damage numbers you do are higher than the damage you actually deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

RareAcumen posted:

This is just a blanket complaint but is there some kind of blood pact on video games that says your character has to have an alcohol tolerance of a blue jay? Seems like every game besides LISA that lets you drink makes your vision sway around like you've shakycam going after one drink. And if you go for more than one then you're totally hosed and everything's just a blurred after-imaged mess that you can't keep track of poo poo with.

I guess the boring answer is that alcohol in a lot of games functions as some sort of health boost or buff and comes with the wobbly screen consequence to give you some sort of risk/reward to evaluate. The only place I've really found alcohol to be fun in a game is in GTA, and only then because it fucks with your controls as well turning driving a car into a guaranteed series of increasingly worse crashes.