Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Probably because a lot of complexity doesn't stream/vid well. People get turned off to all the choices. Particularly in a city builder I think. Modders will get around it, so there'll be the best of both worlds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Lorini posted:

Probably because a lot of complexity doesn't stream/vid well. People get turned off to all the choices. Particularly in a city builder I think. Modders will get around it, so there'll be the best of both worlds.

I don't see how CO would be at all concerned about how well micro management features would look on streams...?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Why do you think they give out free copies to streamers? :)

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Skylines isn't really a super popular streaming game and hasn't really been since the initial beta thing they did where tons of people streamed it. Most companies give streamers and youtubers free copies for marketing. Unlikely they are developing their game around the few hundred people who bother to watch those streams.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

Skylines isn't really a super popular streaming game and hasn't really been since the initial beta thing they did where tons of people streamed it. Most companies give streamers and youtubers free copies for marketing. Unlikely they are developing their game around the few hundred people who bother to watch those streams.

I will only say I'm confused by this.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Lorini posted:

Why do you think they give out free copies to streamers? :)

It's standard operating procedure at Paradox to hand out stream keys for a number of their games, including things like Europa Universalis and Stellaris, which are not exactly the most exciting games to watch being played.

Lorini posted:

I will only say I'm confused by this.

e: In contrast, the latest dev diary has 250,000 views. The one about monorails has 450,000.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 00:42 on May 11, 2017

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I never got why anyone streams or makes VLPs of city builders. They're not exactly exciting to watch if you're not playing.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

So there's a Network Extensions Project and a Network Extensions 2 mod on Steam. Which one is The Right One™?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Enourmo posted:

So there's a Network Extensions Project and a Network Extensions 2 mod on Steam. Which one is The Right One™?

Go with the mod that has the description saying that it's the current development version and to unsubscribe from the other one.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Grand Fromage posted:

I never got why anyone streams or makes VLPs of city builders. They're not exactly exciting to watch if you're not playing.

I've watched some videos where people show off detailing tutorials or cool tricks, like actual informative videos. But someone just live streaming or having an LP series? Uhg. Then again I don't understand how streaming is so popular and sometimes profitable with the kids these days. I watched a Soma LP once because the guy had good comments and I'm way too scared to play such games but that's about it, horror games you're too scared to play your self.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It's weirder for me since I've done two SSLPs of city building, so I feel like I get a good idea of interesting to boring ratio. I post an update with 20 screenshots and that's probably six or seven hours of gameplay condensed into the parts that anyone would actually be interested in seeing. Streaming it would be like watching paint dry.

Not that it isn't fun to play, but to watch someone spend an hour futzing around with rails to get the tunnels and slopes to look right? Nope.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Sips had some good Cities Skylines series but that's more because I like watching sips and he makes up stupid backstories for everything.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

turn off the TV posted:

Go with the mod that has the description saying that it's the current development version and to unsubscribe from the other one.

I figured, but it's not listed under the same author as the original so I wanted to doublecheck. Thanks!

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

mutata posted:

Sips had some good Cities Skylines series but that's more because I like watching sips and he makes up stupid backstories for everything.
Come to think of it, I think this is why I had more fun doing the SC3k LP because I made a stupid backstory up as well (it was easy to make up poo poo about the advisors in the game) and I looked forward to doing each little episode.

Whereas when I started SC4 I tried making it more of a dry instructional thing (because 4 was "hard" because you could muck up your cashflow until you discovered there were sliders for the civic building budgets - although sometimes the RCI demand would do strange things if you did a lot of region play. Suffice to say I ended up abandoning that after a couple of months.

Doing city builders with video? Oh god no. I can easily gently caress around with an interchange for an hour trying to optimise it and make it look realistic and it would be deadly boring to watch. I did enjoy watching bits of the pre-release stream from the guy who was doing it for Paradox but that's because the game wasn't out yet.

Aside from that, I don't get streams, at least not the ones that aren't basically podcasts of two or three people shooting the poo poo while playing some random game (because I can understand that).

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

People are bitching everywhere that they only have stop signs and not yield signs as well. It's the dumbest complaint that they're all hung up on, because

In real life, the difference between the two is that yield signs are slightly faster at processing traffic but trade off safety on high volume roads. Except in Cities: Skylines, there is no concept of traffic safety, so if they offered both, people would only ever use one, Yield. So they should only offer one. And stop signs are better to offer from that point of view because of the visual feedback the cars coming to a stop produce. The efficiency of whichever they chose would be tuned to whatever they think is fair balance anyway.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The Deadly Hume posted:

Come to think of it, I think this is why I had more fun doing the SC3k LP because I made a stupid backstory up as well (it was easy to make up poo poo about the advisors in the game) and I looked forward to doing each little episode.

It was a good LP. Jim Lives.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Enourmo posted:

I figured, but it's not listed under the same author as the original so I wanted to doublecheck. Thanks!

The CS modding community is pretty good in that, as far as I'm aware, there hasn't been any real drama involved in it. One guy took down a bunch of his buildings about a year ago, but they were all reuploaded pretty quickly. I think that you can pretty safely assume that when it comes to people rehosting or creating new branches for mods that they're being honest in their descriptions. Dynamic resolution, TM:PE, Improved Asset Panel, Find It, etc. are all on the level.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 15:51 on May 11, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

They work very nicely if you edit them, watching roads grow in fast motion is cool.

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

"Hey look, I'm flying a giant dong"
For those of you looking at the new junction tools and thinking they look worse than what is already in traffic manager, you'd be right. If you look at the bottom of the traffic manager's steam page,

then at least traffic manager is going to work after the expansion.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Dred_furst posted:

For those of you looking at the new junction tools and thinking they look worse than what is already in traffic manager, you'd be right. If you look at the bottom of the traffic manager's steam page,

then at least traffic manager is going to work after the expansion.

I'm pretty sure that CO has sent them the code changes for the new expac, they usually send those out to the more popular mod creators.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah, I'm going to let this game stew for at least a few weeks after the next DLC for not only the existing essential mods to be updated, but new mods that take advantage of new features emerge.
I'm mostly worried about the improved transit control mod not being updated. If I can't specify the number, vehicle type, and auto-unbunch my transit that's a dealbreaker :(

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

turn off the TV posted:

I'm pretty sure that CO has sent them the code changes for the new expac, they usually send those out to the more popular mod creators.

There's a closed modder's beta.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah, I'm going to let this game stew for at least a few weeks after the next DLC for not only the existing essential mods to be updated, but new mods that take advantage of new features emerge.
I'm mostly worried about the improved transit control mod not being updated. If I can't specify the number, vehicle type, and auto-unbunch my transit that's a dealbreaker :(

IPT is already dead in the water, sadly. Transport Lines Manager does everything it does in a more convoluted way, and hopefully it'll be updated pretty quickly.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

turn off the TV posted:

IPT is already dead in the water, sadly. Transport Lines Manager does everything it does in a more convoluted way, and hopefully it'll be updated pretty quickly.

Yeah, thats stripping away my ability to feel human :( Most of the game for me is transit line management and IPT made it so nice and easy, it felt like an in-game interface rather than a janky convoluted system so many mods end up being. IPT also let you on the fly set the capacity of vehicles, can TLM do that too?

I'd download some transit vehicles from the workshop, open the IPT settings for them and adjust them to correct values (some modders have no clue what to set them as) and then assign the vehicles to the correct lines in the correct numbers. It was so simple and nice, one of the few mods that just worked really well.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah, thats stripping away my ability to feel human :( Most of the game for me is transit line management and IPT made it so nice and easy, it felt like an in-game interface rather than a janky convoluted system so many mods end up being. IPT also let you on the fly set the capacity of vehicles, can TLM do that too?

I'd download some transit vehicles from the workshop, open the IPT settings for them and adjust them to correct values (some modders have no clue what to set them as) and then assign the vehicles to the correct lines in the correct numbers. It was so simple and nice, one of the few mods that just worked really well.

Transport Line Manager allows you to create line prefixes, which are basically a set of predefined settings that can be applied to individual routes. TLM allows you to set vehicle numbers, or alternatively to set individual budget levels for different times of day, which is really handy for Rush Hour. You can also adjust which vehicles run on the route, set prices, view vehicles. It doesn't allow you to change vehicle capacities, but you can do that in AVO. It also doesn't have an unbunching script, so cross your fingers on a zombified IPT or the standalone unbunching mod working after the update.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I don't mean to yell about city builders but
HOW THE gently caress IS UNBUNCHING NOT A PART OF THE VANILLA GAME??!?!?!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It's realistic I guess, I can't count the number of times I wait for the bus and then four of the exact same bus number show up all together. Not sarcastic it happens all the time.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Yeah that's a normal occurrence haha

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
You don't understand, he wants to build his model miniature wonderland and have the simulator validate it by animatedly making the little people run around perfectly efficiently.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Grand Fromage posted:

It's realistic I guess, I can't count the number of times I wait for the bus and then four of the exact same bus number show up all together. Not sarcastic it happens all the time.

Sounds like Toronto.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Mandalay posted:

You don't understand, he wants to build his model miniature wonderland and have the simulator validate it by animatedly making the little people run around perfectly efficiently.

The bus unbunching used by mods is also used by real world transit systems. It's just having vehicles stay at each stop for a designated amount of time before moving on. Like in real life this still can result in problems, and it's much more realistic than what's in the game right now.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

turn off the TV posted:

The bus unbunching used by mods is also used by real world transit systems. It's just having vehicles stay at each stop for a designated amount of time before moving on. Like in real life this still can result in problems, and it's much more realistic than what's in the game right now.

Okay well someone needs to bring this revolutionary idea to the UK

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Mister Adequate posted:

ban white van man and anyone driving an Audi, immediate 100% reduction in accidents and more efficient bus arrivals

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Mister Adequate posted:

They probably have it. Timing stops works for ideal conditions, but when you introduce congestion problems, for both roads and passengers, it starts to have problems where buses can end up bunching anyways.

The university I went to at has a really good urban planning school, and they used a similar system for their bus network. They have a couple of stops along their routes where they do the timed unbunching, usually at either end, and they'll just sit there for a certain amount of time until it's their time to go. The buses that used this system were almost always on time or within a few minutes. I only remember seeing two once or twice, and that was because of some mechanical problems.

In the case of CS, it's also a really good idea because it would likely boost performance for most people. Pedestrians and Cims using public transit use much less CPU time than those driving cars, and when Cims redirect after waiting for a vehicle too long you lose that benefit.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

ban white van man and anyone driving an Audi, immediate 100% reduction in accidents and more efficient bus arrivals

Add beemers and we're getting somewhere

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Mister Adequate posted:

Add beemers and we're getting somewhere

any german car really

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

The PDXCon video where a group of devs and streamers compete to build the biggest city in one hour was amusing.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Biffa will have a Mass Transit video up tomorrow, so I assume your favorite City Skylines streamer/YouTuber will too :)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mister Adequate posted:

I think we have it but what it means is that your bus is late, you get three of them together, and the one you're on stops for five minutes at random before moving on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

After watching Biffa's videos, the question in my mind is why anyone would use blimps. He had 10 blimps but nearly 1000 people at stations waiting for blimps, and each blimp only holds 35 people. He also had monorail which seems to me to nearly the same thing as blimps but they hold 180 people. He doesn't mention the costs so I have to assume that the costs of running blimps is a lot cheaper than monorail but it'd be nice to know exactly what the ratios will be when the game comes out.