Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

TheKingofSprings posted:

I've watched 7 episodes of this so far, and went to load the next one up and realized I just did not care about it enough to watch it anymore.

I think there are some very good ideas in this season but I do not think this is a good season.

It's real harsh to describe Samurai Jack the same way a lot of people talked about reading Bleach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

mycot posted:

It's real harsh to describe Samurai Jack the same way a lot of people talked about reading Bleach.

Hey, at least Samurai Jack has actually been good for most of its run.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
there's like
two more episodes

two more. ever.

episode 8 was bad but come on, finish what you've started.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
There is only the tiniest amount of hope left alive in me that maybe the development team will have spent as much effort on the show's finale as they did the first three episodes, and the reason that these episodes in the middle suck so much is because of that distribution of effort. But we all know as much as I do that that is a goddamn lie.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I can't believe that gnndy tartavosky ruined television forever and fired the director of the fbi

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Augus posted:

I can't believe that gnndy tartavosky ruined television forever and fired the director of the fbi

:same:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

EagerSleeper posted:

There is only the tiniest amount of hope left alive in me that maybe the development team will have spent as much effort on the show's finale as they did the first three episodes, and the reason that these episodes in the middle suck so much is because of that distribution of effort. But we all know as much as I do that that is a goddamn lie.

Hope
Is lost.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Got to get back. Back to the past('s glory). Samurai Jack

Annointed fucked around with this message at 07:42 on May 10, 2017

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Why don't we talk about the past, then?

What do you guys consider the all-time best episode(s) of the original run of the series? The worst? The moments that got you hooked into this show all those years ago?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Aku and makos performance are what made the show for me.

Also the walking music
dunna DUN DUN dunna dunna DUN DUN

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Augus posted:

Episode 8 of Season 5 was the unspeakable evil Aku unleashed.

Regalingualius posted:

What do you guys consider the all-time best episode(s) of the original run of the series? The worst? The moments that got you hooked into this show all those years ago?

Jack vs. The Ultra Robots/The Ninja/The Minions of Set. Jack and the Farting Dragon. Jack 'murdering' that huge army of beetle drones while screaming like a lunatic.

Seeing that three part pilot air for the first time was great.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I wanna bring us back to the episode people are being a half-step too dramatic about how bad it is to ask a controversial question.

Everyone keeps saying Ashi's like 18 or something, are you guys being literal or no? Because I always thought there was some weird advanced aging going on since I assumed magic was involved to get seven- or is it eight?- of them in the first place.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Hemingway To Go! posted:

there's like
two more episodes

two more. ever.

episode 8 was bad but come on, finish what you've started.

I'm gonna give that amazing turd the benefit of the doubt and say that maybe they needed some of the animation budget for the best two final episodes ever. There seemed to be an unusual amount of repeated animations and extended still images that you usually only see in really cheap anime. What a weird fuckin' episode, it almost felt like they did it as a joke or something.

Jellymouth
Jul 9, 2009
Fun Shoe
I am hoping that the previous episode where Ashi meets all the people that Jack helped is foreshadowing a huge battle scene featuring all of them and then some at the end. It would be fanservicy as hell, but drat it would be awesome.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Surely we'll at least see the Scotsman and his army of daughters, or else that one scene in the earlier episode would be completely pointless.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
Honestly I doubt the last two episodes could be that bad. At the very least we'll see Scotsman again, and I'm hoping we see full-on Aku tear some poo poo up and make some whacky jokes.

I hope Ashii isn't used as a damsel in distress, or like as leverage and Jack has to choose between sacrificing her and killing Aku or something. I'm thinking of a few different possibilities for the ending and they're all bad, so I just hope they have better writers than me.

Sjs00 posted:

You are posting in TVIV. There is nothing more to invest.

I'm trying to avoid thinking about my emotional bankruptcy.

RareAcumen posted:

I wanna bring us back to the episode people are being a half-step too dramatic about how bad it is to ask a controversial question.

Everyone keeps saying Ashi's like 18 or something, are you guys being literal or no? Because I always thought there was some weird advanced aging going on since I assumed magic was involved to get seven- or is it eight?- of them in the first place.

She's born way past the point where Jack is a fully grown man trying to beat up Aku, and Jack is now like at least 70, but it's okay because he's still hot? It's just really dumb and stupid. She was invented to give Jack someone to gently caress basically.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Jack will stay with his Waifu in the future

OR

She will now be Pregnant but he wil ditch her and move to the past.

Aku's grandson, Jack & Ashi's child, will be the supreme ruler of Earth forevermore.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

RareAcumen posted:

That is one of the few beefs I had with the first three episodes, in episode one the movement of time was shown in a real weird way. You get Jack running around doing stuff, then a scene of the assassins being born, then a scene of Jack doing more stuff, followed by another scene of the assassins but they're young kids now. So there's two timelines progressing. At least I assumed it was two timelines, I didn't get the feeling they aged quickly or anything. But still it was communicated awkwardly.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
So there is not way this is gonna end well, is what we're saying.
Watch Out!

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Regalingualius posted:

I got into it because of the 3 part pilot but I mostly fell off when the rest of season 1 was just kind of ok. All the scotsmen episodes are, at worst, pretty good. I liked the one where Jack is attacked by a muppet and a southern belle on a train (and loses). The Princess and the Bounty Hunters is the best episode in the original run.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Regalingualius posted:

Only episode of Samurai Jack I won't defend (other than season five episode eight I guess) is the Woolies one.

The ending of Jack and the Lava Monster where the dead warrior literally ascends to vahalla blew my mind as a kid.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Ehh, in hindsight, I'd say something like half of S1 was fairly mediocre after the intro movie, though the other half absolutely showed potential even back then.

I'd say I'm tied between Jack and the Rave and Jack versus the Guardian for my all time favorite; I still tune into the BGM from the former even now.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

i hope the instant Jack kills Aku he starts to rapidly age until he's a old man who passes on his sword before going to meet his ancestors.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

You must give me a warriors death Ashi

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

:gas:

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I know when I watched Samurai Jack, I enjoyed the episodes where Jack gets new shoes, and the one where he turned into a chicken. I think my first time seeing the episode where Jack gets infected with Aku's evil scared me back on the first time I saw it, but now I appreciate seeing it as the one time Jack was about to lose completely. Thank god for Buddhist monk geckos to help him out.

edit: the two parter with the Sirens was pretty cool too.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Jump good.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Megaspel posted:

She's born way past the point where Jack is a fully grown man trying to beat up Aku, and Jack is now like at least 70, but it's okay because he's still hot? It's just really dumb and stupid. She was invented to give Jack someone to gently caress basically.

I mean

Okay dude, sure. That's fair but really not what I was trying to ask about at all? I'm asking what specifically makes everyone say 18 years old and not why they made her to begin with.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

That is one of the few beefs I had with the first three episodes, in episode one the movement of time was shown in a real weird way. You get Jack running around doing stuff, then a scene of the assassins being born, then a scene of Jack doing more stuff, followed by another scene of the assassins but they're young kids now. So there's two timelines progressing. At least I assumed it was two timelines, I didn't get the feeling they aged quickly or anything. But still it was communicated awkwardly.

So yeah, I just couldn't really follow what was going on there and I just assumed they'd been rapidly aging since that's where my thought process leads to. I didn't think the beetlebot fight was year 32 and then we go to him taking out another giant beetlebot in the middle of a road 18 years later and then they're suddenly there too and ambushing him.

Since I can barely remember any of the episodes I'd have to say the Scotsman episode was my favorite.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

RareAcumen posted:

So yeah, I just couldn't really follow what was going on there and I just assumed they'd been rapidly aging since that's where my thought process leads to. I didn't think the beetlebot fight was year 32 and then we go to him taking out another giant beetlebot in the middle of a road 18 years later and then they're suddenly there too and ambushing him.

I thought it was a series of flashbacks catching up to the present in which they hunt him.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

my dad posted:

I thought it was a series of flashbacks catching up to the present in which they hunt him.

This seems like the natural assumption to make.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

RareAcumen posted:

I mean

Okay dude, sure. That's fair but really not what I was trying to ask about at all? I'm asking what specifically makes everyone say 18 years old and not why they made her to begin with.

Ah right, yeah, I don't know what makes people say 18 specifically, but it's good shorthand to emphasize the age difference. It doesn't matter if she's 18 or 25, it's still pretty weird, maybe if she was 40 or something it'd be less weird, once she's actually experienced the world and isn't recovering from a terrible gaslit upbringing. I don't think they've been magically aged, although that would make it more hosed up, but Jack has been in the future for at least 50 years, which is plenty of room to fit in raising the children, non-linear storytelling and all that. Magical ageing didn't enter into my mind in that scene, I just assumed flashbacks.

I agree the time jumping around makes the show pretty confusing. Like they shoehorned the Ashii and Jack relationship into a really short amount of actual real time, but it could very well have been years in universe. It does seem like Ashii is a lot more comfortable and confident in the new world she's experiencing now, but the pacing seems to be all screwed up.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Why are people stuck on the physical age? That doesn't really seem like the actual issue to me

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

my dad posted:

I wasn't aware anyone could take it any other way.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Das Boo posted:

Neither was I until reading this thread. :v:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Das Boo posted:

never underestimate human stupidity

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Sentient Data posted:

Why are people stuck on the physical age? That doesn't really seem like the actual issue to me

Same. Though, I probably would have been more bothered by it had they kissed while he had the beard.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

I don't understand the goon consensus of this being middling, this show blows the original series out of the water and has been a far more complete story than before, and I've been gripped the entire time and enjoyed every episode so far, although some more than others.

Like, what is making this bad for y'all?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

The first three episodes were absolutely perfect in terms of pacing, tension, etc. A lot of the complaints kind of center around how everything after that feels a bit rushed due to only having ten episodes to wrap everything up with.

I personally feel like the episode where he reclaimed his sword could've cut out the orc army to get an extended Ashi vs. Matriarch fight, as well as Jack having a more climactic dispelling of his inner demons.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Regalingualius posted:

The first three episodes were absolutely perfect in terms of pacing, tension, etc. A lot of the complaints kind of center around how everything after that feels a bit rushed due to only having ten episodes to wrap everything up with.

It actually could also be due to it just being a really difficult show to work on. I've been listening to the commentary track for "Birth of Evil", and it was illuminating in a few ways. Here's part 1, for you all to enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSihW-O-ekU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

C-SPAN Caller posted:

I don't understand the goon consensus of this being middling, this show blows the original series out of the water and has been a far more complete story than before, and I've been gripped the entire time and enjoyed every episode so far, although some more than others.

My 2 cents: It's awesome, however the two instances of Nude Ashi were blatant fanservice. And the Scaramouche-as-comedy felt tacked on. Still awesome.

• Locked thread