Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Tino Sabbatelli makes his once-every-4-months appearance to remind us he's still employed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
One of these days, WWE will write a Mexican heel without making him say "perro" every other word.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Hideo's shoulder is ugly goddamn

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
lol at Shawn Michaels getting ads for his crappy Jesus movie on the Network

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Benne posted:

lol at Shawn Michaels getting ads for his crappy Jesus movie on the Network
Poor Brett Dalton

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Roddy/Hideo is really loving good

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Benne posted:

Roddy/Hideo is really loving good
Shame Hideo is a shell of his former self

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Benne posted:

Tino Sabbatelli makes his once-every-4-months appearance to remind us he's still employed.

Still has a dope theme

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/totaldivaseps/status/862459814710063104

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...
I keep seeing these rumors about Aleister Black not being long for developmental, but I just have a hard time seeing him succeed on the main roster.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

It's the main roster. You're supposed to go in expecting them to be doomed, which makes it a happy surprise if it works out

People weren't happily surprised by Finn and Bayley because they fully thought those two were the ones that couldn't be hosed up, which just made it worse when they were

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

I love how this thread has become the Aleister Black fan zone. His BOLA 2015 match with Speedball Mike Bailey was amazing, and made me a huge fan of both guys.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Jenkem Delivery posted:

I love how this thread has become the Aleister Black fan zone. His BOLA 2015 match with Speedball Mike Bailey was amazing, and made me a huge fan of both guys.

His PWG debut match against Hero is also fantastic. He has the sickest jumping knee strikes I have ever seen.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Also any of his matches in PROGRESS against Marty Scurll. Dude's the loving coolest.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Marty Scurll looks sounds dresses and smells like he has a Youtube where he talks too much about video game censorship.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

RacistGuidingLight posted:

Marty Scurll looks sounds dresses and smells like he has a Youtube where he talks too much about video game censorship.

His villain gimmick is obviously working

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Jenkem Delivery posted:

His villain gimmick is obviously working

Is that his actual gimmick or does he think he's Professor Moriarty, in a cool way?

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

RacistGuidingLight posted:

Is that his actual gimmick or does he think he's Professor Moriarty, in a cool way?

His gimmick is more like a comical British TV villain than Moriarty

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
That's a niggling distinction, if even a distinction.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Think more Monty Python

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Jenkem Delivery posted:

Think more Monty Python

Okay like Mister Devious from the Bishop sketch? He's far more like Moriarty than that.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Moss and Sabbatelli are really, really bad. They were in the ring with #DIY and still couldn't look like decent wrestlers.

Itami/Strong was... very good. Wow!

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

No Irish Need Imply posted:

Moss and Sabbatelli are really, really bad. They were in the ring with #DIY and still couldn't look like decent wrestlers.

Yeah, you could tell that DIY really toned down their style and gave them a lot of offense in hopes of making them looking good. They're ... a work in progress, which might be putting it kindly.

Tino as an arrogant jock heel might have some potential, but otherwise he's the most generic WWE Developmental Guy imaginable. Just give him black trunks and he'd fit right in with the NXT game show era.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Benne posted:

Yeah, you could tell that DIY really toned down their style and gave them a lot of offense in hopes of making them looking good. They're ... a work in progress, which might be putting it kindly.

Tino as an arrogant jock heel might have some potential, but otherwise he's the most generic WWE Developmental Guy imaginable. Just give him black trunks and he'd fit right in with the NXT game show era.

Ciampa basically just let them whip his rear end for about five minutes and they still looked very boring. Oh a forearm shot. Oh a punch. There's a kick. Annnnnnnnd a fall-away slam. Hoo boy, this sure is a couple of pro football players that for some reason, WWE just won't give up on.

edit: the rest of the show was great though. Itami/Strong was fantastic, AB was great, I will always love Ellering and AOP and Nikki Cross is wonderful. NXT revived itself way, way quicker than I thought it would following the mass exodus.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I always find it funny when these muscular stiffs show up on NXT and the announcers put them over hard as "former football stars!" Like, if they were actually any good at football, wouldn't they still be playing football, instead of slumming it in a fancy Orlando gym on an obvious career change?

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Benne posted:

I always find it funny when these muscular stiffs show up on NXT and the announcers put them over hard as "former football stars!" Like, if they were actually any good at football, wouldn't they still be playing football, instead of slumming it in a fancy Orlando gym on an obvious career change?

Well for tino's part he was actually a starter for five years. Four? I can't remember. And he DID show up to the performance center in a goddamn maserati just like the announce team said.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Platypus Farm posted:

Well for tino's part he was actually a starter for five years. Four? I can't remember. And he DID show up to the performance center in a goddamn maserati just like the announce team said.

I'm looking up Tino's NFL career, and it's actually longer than I remember. Being a second-round draft pick is nothing to sneeze at, he was a legit starter for a few years, and it looks like only injuries cut his career short. That's certainly a better run than Baron Corbin (random practice squad geek) or Roman Reigns (never sniffed the pros) can boast.

Still, Tino is already 33 and turning 34 later this year. If the light doesn't switch on soon, then it's probably never happening. He was already portrayed as a "cut line" guy on Breaking Ground.

Also his shoot name is Sabby Piscitelli, which is somehow even more of a mouthful than "Tino Sabbatelli."

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

I think that whole match can be summed up in the moment where Ciampa is waiting to hit his signature flying knee off the apron but can't wait any longer for Moss to get his dumb rear end up and then he just drops a knee instead.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Man NXT has really been getting good again recently, the roster is feeling pretty sturdy again.

African AIDS cum posted:

I don't think you would need permission to post a dailymotion link

I had a slight concern because I wasn't sure if it was taken from Stardom World's online service or their televised content, but it was approved by an admin which settled things nicely :)

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Jerusalem posted:

Man NXT has really been getting good again recently, the roster is feeling pretty sturdy again.

Yeah I've really enjoyed the last month or so of TV. The women's division in particular is much improved -- Nikki and Ruby gave them some much-needed fresh faces, I still have high hopes for Ember despite her promo struggles, and Asuka is staying over by reinventing herself and avoiding the staleness that plagues most champs riding a long win streak. Plus we have Hojo coming in soon, and if all goes well she could be the best babyface in the company.

After wasting like 6 months trying to make Billie and Peyton a thing, the women's division is compelling for the first time since the Four Horsewomen era.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

As amazing as Nak, Joe, Owens and Finn were and are, after two years of "this person is an impossibly powerful wrestlemonster" SNK Boss syndrome at the top of NXT, having Roode as a more traditionally vulnerable champion has really opened up the booking. No one was buying a contender to Nak or Joe who wasn't Nak or Joe; it's a lot more believable that anyone above the Almas level could beat Roode and, shockingly, the title picture becomes a lot more engaging when its talent pool has more than two people in it.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

CarlCX posted:

As amazing as Nak, Joe, Owens and Finn were and are, after two years of "this person is an impossibly powerful wrestlemonster" SNK Boss syndrome at the top of NXT, having Roode as a more traditionally vulnerable champion has really opened up the booking. No one was buying a contender to Nak or Joe who wasn't Nak or Joe; it's a lot more believable that anyone above the Almas level could beat Roode and, shockingly, the title picture becomes a lot more engaging when its talent pool has more than two people in it.

Yeah, the only problem with moving those four to the main roster is that finn and Joe are pretty much wasted with boring rear end raw.

Also, w/r/t Almas, I'm loving him. Him eyeing up the backstage interviewer on last night's taping whose name I've forgotten was pretty perfect. he was fairly boring when he was just a guy in white suspenders, but now that he's a party guy creep, it's really good and he plays it off well.

Also also, I'm amazed at how effective aleister black is. For all the people complaining about him being an edgelord or whatever, I dont' see it like that at all. To me he just screams killer monster that's also smarter than everyone else, so he can just sit there and glower in the middle of the ring and then pop up and break someone's skull in.

And "ruuuuuuubyyyyyyy....ruuuuuuuuuubyyyyyyy" will never get old.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

CarlCX posted:

This is actually another thing I loved they did with the women's title. For most of the year the talking point was "nobody is ready for Asuka," which was mostly a fan debate about the quality of the women's division. They even made that the storyline, and did something kinda brilliant to handle it.

How do you make someone ready for Asuka? By having her completely disappear up her own rear end, get a planet-sized ego, and make that her eventual downfall. Now suddenly we have a handful of viable contenders, because the story stopped being about "who can have a great match with Asuka" and more about "who could take down Asuka with the right timing/luck."

The best thing NXT is doing right now is getting away from the "indy supercard" mindset of booking matches, and back to the character-driven stuff that made Sami/Neville/Owens/Horsewomen such beloved acts.

Benne fucked around with this message at 05:43 on May 12, 2017

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

CarlCX posted:

yeah if anything nxt has too many people i wanna see at a takeover again. i know the 4 titles will be defended, but after that, does roddy have a match? ohno? black? they set up galloway v whichever of murphy or blake that was but that was next week right?

Black is the only one getting the nakamura "murder jobbers on sight" push so there's a lotta upper-mid guys who would be guaranteed takeover spots last year that might be left out right now.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Benne posted:

This is actually another thing I loved they did with the women's title. For most of the year the talking point was "nobody is ready for Asuka," which was mostly a fan debate about the quality of the women's division. They even made that the storyline, and did something kinda brilliant to handle it.

How do you make someone ready for Asuka? By having her completely disappear up her own rear end, get a planet-sized ego, and make that her eventual downfall. Now suddenly we have a handful of viable contenders, because the story stopped being about "who can have a great match with Asuka" and more about "who could take down Asuka with the right timing/luck."

The best thing NXT is doing right now is getting away from the "indy supercard" mindset of booking matches, and back to the character-driven stuff that made Sami/Neville/Owens/Horsewomen such beloved acts.

I think you're right on with asuka. Really, no one can possibly hope to go out there and have a real fight with her, but drat if you can't break somebody's jaw by just going nuts and cracking their head into a ringpost at the right time.

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC

Benne posted:

I'm looking up Tino's NFL career, and it's actually longer than I remember. Being a second-round draft pick is nothing to sneeze at, he was a legit starter for a few years, and it looks like only injuries cut his career short.

Sabby Piscitelli was The Worst Buccaneer

the SBNation article posted:

I am not exaggerating here. Piscitelli was horrifying. He tried to play safety, but looked more like a safety valve for the offense. He couldn't cover anyone. His angles to tackles were atrocious. He routinely whiffed on tackles even when his angle was good. He caused more blown coverages than anyone I can remember. According to Football Outsiders, he led the NFL in missed tackles in 2009. The entire NFL. And not by any small margin, either: he had 24 missed tackles. No one else even had 20.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

beggar posted:

Sabby Piscitelli was The Worst Buccaneer

Well that certainly explains why he never connects on wrestling moves :haw:

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Platypus Farm posted:

Also also, I'm amazed at how effective aleister black is. For all the people complaining about him being an edgelord or whatever, I dont' see it like that at all. To me he just screams killer monster that's also smarter than everyone else, so he can just sit there and glower in the middle of the ring and then pop up and break someone's skull in.

Was this the first time he's used that spinning laser projection logo in the ring during his entrance? That was neat.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Benne posted:

It's more like a single injury can end your professional football career, which I think most people know, and football stars gots to be double-tough. Goldberg, like most humans who make the attempt, sustained an injury while playing for the Falcons. He made gadzooks more money in wrestling than he ever would have as an 11th round DT, so...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Yeah there are tons of football failures that become great wrestlers. The problem is the football failures that also suck at wrestling, which is where we are currently with Tino and Moss. They could end up being good but if you aren't having a good match pulled out of you by good wrestlers doing their best to put you over as a threat, then you aren't ready for TV.

• Locked thread