Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Fargin Icehole posted:

How old is Goku at this point? Or does it not matter because people kept getting brought back to life in the Z Saga?

how old is he physically or how old is he actually because the answer is different

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
He's what, 43? 44?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
it depends on if he aged during the 8 or so years he cumulatively spent dead and how we count the years spent in the hyperbolic time chamber.

You could make an argument for anything from early 30's to late 40's probably.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Old Kai gave Goku his remaining life energy in the Buu Saga. Kais have a lifespan measured in tens of thousands of years at the very least. Goku is going to live for literal centuries.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Fuego Fish posted:

Old Kai gave Goku his remaining life energy in the Buu Saga. Kais have a lifespan measured in tens of thousands of years at the very least. Goku is going to live for literal centuries.

I'm so happy to hear this!!!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Actually, Goku will die soon alongside the rest of his universe once they lose to the Pride Troopers, because justice always wins.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

lmfao

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I really dislike the Isekai genre with only one or two exceptions and epic Yamcha is really super good enough to one of them. Hope his fellow reincarnated dude is motherfucking Chiaotzu

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

Lunatic Sledge posted:

My favorite is still Pan, because holy poo poo, it's the triple whammy.

Pan is the Japanese word for bread. Gohan pun.

Pan is a horned mythological figure with goat hooves. Videl pun.

A pan flute is a musical instrument. Uncle Piccolo pun.

It's also a prefix meaning "all" or "relating to all parts." It is Toriyama's masterpiece pun.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
that was really fuckin cool

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Plutonis posted:

I really dislike the Isekai genre with only one or two exceptions and epic Yamcha is really super good enough to one of them. Hope his fellow reincarnated dude is motherfucking Chiaotzu

What is Isekai?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Mraagvpeine posted:

What is Isekai?

it means "other world" and is a genre where people get sent to alternate fantasy worlds where they're chosen ones

it's wildly popular in light novels to an absurd degree but if you want to be technical even, like, the narnia books and el-hazard were isekai stuff

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
There's a poo poo ton of isekai light novels and cheap manga where the whole gimmick is "I [was-summoned-to/died-and-was-reborn-in] a fantasy world where everything is just like [poorly conceived notion of what video games are like] and because I'm a hopeless videogame-lovin' nerd just like the author and the intended audience, I know better than everyone else who has lived in this world their entire life."

It's a rather specific setting, but it makes up a big chunk of the subgenre these days, because people fuckin' love their video games, even if it's just having characters open up a magical status window every chapter and go "wow I sure do have skill points!"

Admittedly there are some fairly inspired takes in the bunch, like "I'm a Spider, So What?" where the protagonist gets reincarnated as a lovely level 1 spider in a dungeon and must claw her way up through the hierarchy of monsters. It's fuckin' adorable.

But there's also ones with titles that are practically their own novel, like "When a Military Otaku is Reincarnated to a World of Magic, He Established a Harem Army with Modern Weapons!?" which is about a huge loving dipshit who apparently has a photographic memory when it comes to gun designs, and decides to manufacture a bunch of magic firearms to give to catgirls with huge tits or whatever.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I honestly have no idea if you're joking about that being a real title or not.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

ImpAtom posted:

I honestly have no idea if you're joking about that being a real title or not.

It's real and now you must suffer knowing so.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Does Dragon Ball count as one of these "isekai" stories since Goku is an alien from another planet? Or is it just reserved for stuff like ReZero and Grimgar and so on?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

dragon ball doesn't count

Caros
May 14, 2008

Raxivace posted:

Does Dragon Ball count as one of these "isekai" stories since Goku is an alien from another planet? Or is it just reserved for stuff like ReZero and Grimgar and so on?

The latter. The genre also has an american name, LitRPG. It's in its infancy here so the stories are largely poo poo.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Raxivace posted:

No, its explicitly when someone from the real world gets taken to some kind of other world through some kind of reincarnation/magic/VR etc.

Now I kinda want to write a short story where a wizard from a fantasy world ends up on Earth, which works just like his magic video games and he conquers America with his working knowledge of nuclear weapons.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Zore posted:

Now I kinda want to write a short story where a wizard from a fantasy world ends up on Earth, which works just like his magic video games and he conquers America with his working knowledge of nuclear weapons.
The Doctor?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

I've read this manga, it's absolute garbage and the artist can't draw women except one certain way. It looks really loving derby.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

I'd say Harry Potter would be the most popular western example.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

harry potter doesn't count

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Petiso posted:

If I understand the genre correctly, Harry Potter would only be true if Harry Potter was some dude who got *reincarnated* as Harry Potter. Just being the chosen one is a stock fantasy trope.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Fargin Icehole posted:

How old is Goku at this point? Or does it not matter because people kept getting brought back to life in the Z Saga?

By pure years, he's 44 years old. However, he didn't age for the 7 years he was dead after Cell, but has spent 3 years in the hyperbolic time chamber, so he's really 40.

Vegeta made a comment that saiyans don't start aging until their 70s. Vegeta is 48, but spent 5 years in the hyperbolic time chamber so he's really 53.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

One of the few good things about Continuum was coming up with terminology for this. "Objective age" is your age according to the calendar. "Subjective age" is how many years that you personally have lived through. So, Goku's objective age would be 44, but his subjective age would be 40 47 because being dead would still count.

Okay, maybe it's not perfect. :downs:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Continuing to age in the afterlife would be pretty friggin horrible if you think about it

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

seiferguy posted:

By pure years, he's 44 years old. However, he didn't age for the 7 years he was dead after Cell, but has spent 3 years in the hyperbolic time chamber, so he's really 40.

Vegeta made a comment that saiyans don't start aging until their 70s. Vegeta is 48, but spent 5 years in the hyperbolic time chamber so he's really 53.

Goku was also dead for a year between Raditz and Vegeta/Nappa, so shouldn't it be 39?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

rare Magic card l00k posted:

Goku was also dead for a year between Raditz and Vegeta/Nappa, so shouldn't it be 39?
Good catch.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Lunatic Sledge posted:

My favorite is still Pan, because holy poo poo, it's the triple whammy.

Pan is the Japanese word for bread. Gohan pun.

Pan is a horned mythological figure with goat hooves. Videl pun.

A pan flute is a musical instrument. Uncle Piccolo pun.

And, get this, you can't say Pan-chan without punch.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Petiso posted:

No, that doesn't fit at all. The second and third Matrix movies, maybe.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Mordaedil posted:

No, that doesn't fit at all. The second and third Matrix movies, maybe.

The western example is The New Testament where God himself reincarnates as a man and has a bunch of adventures.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

seiferguy posted:

Wait, didn't the time chamber used to have a rule that you could only ever enter it twice back in the Cell Saga?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Eopia posted:

Wait, didn't the time chamber used to have a rule that you could only ever enter it twice back in the Cell Saga?

It also had a rule where only two people could go in. But then Buu, Piccolo, Trunks, and Goten all went in. Clearly Mr Popo just makes up rules because he is tired of cleaning that poo poo up when these idiots keep blowing it up.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Zore posted:

No, its explicitly when someone from the real world gets taken to some kind of other world through some kind of reincarnation/magic/VR etc.

The reverse of the "I'm in video game world now!!" is a Korean webcomic called "The Gamer" where magic and stuff already exists (in secret) but the protagonist gets given the power to treat life like a video game. All the other people with special/magic powers who already exist in the world complain that he's overpowered as poo poo and it's great up until, like, 150 chapters in when the author seems to start running out of interesting ideas.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Rutibex posted:

It also had a rule where only two people could go in. But then Buu, Piccolo, Trunks, and Goten all went in. Clearly Mr Popo just makes up rules because he is tired of cleaning that poo poo up when these idiots keep blowing it up.

Wasn't it that it only could hold enough food for 2 people for a year, and that's why they only let 2 in at a time?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Fuego Fish posted:

The reverse of the "I'm in video game world now!!" is a Korean webcomic called "The Gamer" where magic and stuff already exists (in secret) but the protagonist gets given the power to treat life like a video game. All the other people with special/magic powers who already exist in the world complain that he's overpowered as poo poo and it's great up until, like, 150 chapters in when the author seems to start running out of interesting ideas.

Yeah, The Gamer was really good at first. He realized that his newly awakened "Gamer Body" made him immune to the normal effects of fatigue, and instead left him beholden to a numeric fatigue meter. This was around the same time he realized that any time he tried to just "do a thing", his power would manifest by defining a Skill for it, with known numeric effects on his or others' stats. So he almost immediately found a skill that could recover fatigue in less time than it takes to sleep, and started using that to game his own system to grind more levels and skill points. The initial chapters were very much a comedy about poorly-designed MMO mechanics.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I think Dende repaired the time chamber and made improvements to allow for longer time in it. I dunno, but Vegeta had 2 days in there in the Cell saga, then him and Goku were in there before the U6/U7 tournament. So yeah, the rules are bullshit, or Toriyama just forgot.

Edit: of course someone compiled all the ages here:

http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_character_birth_dates_and_ages

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 16:40 on May 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

That's an interesting twist at the end of the yamcha chapter and I'm wondering where the story will go now that there's no way for a human to keep up with the sayian cast.

• Locked thread