Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

DJExile posted:

hey oilers :)

fixed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~

Slappy Pappy posted:

Dear Jesus, let me wake up tomorrow as the fan of any other hockey team.

Pro: Your wish has been granted

Con: You are now a Canucks fan

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

kalensc posted:

I'm happy the Pens won and am thrilled for MAF, but it sucks that the Caps (and Jackets) were the opponents this far. Finally seeing Ovie and Kuz and Holtby and a bunch of others in at least a conference final would have been wonderful. Dumbasd seeding method.

And we get to witness plenty of terrible hot takes, such as https://twitter.com/SlavaMalamud?s=09

What a clown

I like how he blasts Ovi for being "Always told he is the greatest, teammates must be worthy" when I loving guarantee you 99% of the players in the NHL (or really pretty much any top-tier league) were told the same loving thing as kids.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

It's probably not possible for people in general to deserve the things we've seen happen.

But it's clear now that I deserve it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Albino Squirrel posted:

I can't even shave my playoff beard 'cause I have a beard all the time :(

So do i, but a bet's a bet. :(

linked because people don't like lookin at dead hair and stuff https://i.imgur.com/nmxOuPqh.jpg

It was like sheering a sheep and i look like a child now :(

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

dont be mean to me posted:

It's probably not possible for people in general to deserve the things we've seen happen.

But it's clear now that I deserve it.

Really I still have my playoff beard from 2010 but at this point it's really just a spiral of depression beard.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Albino Squirrel posted:

I can't even shave my playoff beard 'cause I have a beard all the time :(

Same. I've started growing my beard since August and given the Oilers overall success this season there's no way I can ever shave it off.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

gently caress the ducks and all, but with the win the stars second round pick they got for eaves turns into a first. And they're picking 3rd overall to boot!

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

JoelJoel posted:

gently caress the ducks and all, but with the win the stars second round pick they got for eaves turns into a first. And they're picking 3rd overall to boot!

I'm still not clear on that. The conditions for the deal were that the Ducks had to make the 3rd round and Patrick Eaves had to play in atleast half the games.

Well mission accomplished making the 3rd round, but now Eaves is out with an injury with no timetable for return.

So yeah, he's been in 7 out of 11 games so far, but that ratio will fall below 50% in the 3rd round if he does not return.

I think he's supposed to be pretty likely to play again so very probably they have that pick, but I'd like to get confirmation on what happens if Eaves for whatever reason doesn't return to the lineup. Is that pick locked in or what?

**ok apparently my inquiry has been checked up on (great minds think alike I guess), and the pick is locked in. I guess the trade was structured so that the ratio of 50%+ games played is only counted from the first two rounds. Doesn't matter if Eaves never plays again.

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 06:35 on May 11, 2017

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Neat.

Considering they're a year removed from winning a strong west and they have a full slate in this year's draft including two firsts and one in the top three, I think they'll bounce back alright. I feel like bishop could go either way but he's definitely an upgrade. Now just spend a couple picks to get Vegas to take garbage Finn 1 or 2, sign, I dunno, orlov and another plug on D, and not have the whole team dead to start the season.

Things trending up.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Duke Chin posted:

I hate this stupid loving season.

A Predators cup is literally, LIT ER AH LY the only way to redeem this loving trashfire of a year.

Started in 2016, is garbage, checks out.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
but will Subban go to meet the president ?!?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Schlesische posted:

Started in 2016, is garbage, checks out.

The winners have to meet trump anyways.

Oilers will win in 2018 and meet president Ryan.

e:

JawKnee posted:

but will Subban go to meet the president ?!?

Yeah, but he'll have to come in through the servants entrance.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 06:52 on May 11, 2017

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

JoelJoel posted:

Neat.

Considering they're a year removed from winning a strong west and they have a full slate in this year's draft including two firsts and one in the top three, I think they'll bounce back alright. I feel like bishop could go either way but he's definitely an upgrade. Now just spend a couple picks to get Vegas to take garbage Finn 1 or 2, sign, I dunno, orlov and another plug on D, and not have the whole team dead to start the season.

Things trending up.

I dunno, there's alot of rubbish filling the lineup at the moment..

There's literally almost too many things on the to-do list to even predict how the roster will look like next season. Stars management needs to earn it's salary this offseason.

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003
Well, if you're a Washington Capitals fan, at least

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Powershift posted:

Yeah, but he'll have to come in through the servants entrance.

:stonk:

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Starsfan posted:

I dunno, there's alot of rubbish filling the lineup at the moment..

There's literally almost too many things on the to-do list to even predict how the roster will look like next season. Stars management needs to earn it's salary this offseason.

Oh, no doubt. And Nill and Co haven't been impressing anyone lately, but they're in a good position with a good core of forwards, they addressed the goaltending issue (3 years too late), and look good in the medium to long term, IMO.

That said, other than goaltending and an average or slightly below d corps they were in decent shape heading into the offseason last year and welp.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Good job Oilers. You had to win one game.

Now I have to keep watching the Ducks' stupid faces.

Why don't you think about my needs for once.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

But seriously, the white house thing was supposed to be one of the perks of winning everything. the fact that players have to give it up or have their pictures taken with a racist fuckhead is probably going to kill the whole tradition.

Unless he gets taken down, i'd imagine by year 4 teams aren't even going to be invited.

Jonny Nox posted:

Good job Oilers. You had to win one game.

Now I have to keep watching the Ducks' stupid faces.

Why don't you think about my needs for once.

Actually, they had to win 16.

As long as Mcdavid and Draisaitl stick around for a few years and the cap hit of the second line doesn't kill them, it should be a competitive team for years.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Slappy Pappy posted:

Monkey's claw curls up as you wake up to Styx's Renegade and have a mullet

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
As a Caps and Devils fan, I have to say, gently caress hockey for the next five years, probably.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

kalensc posted:

I'm happy the Pens won and am thrilled for MAF, but it sucks that the Caps (and Jackets) were the opponents this far. Finally seeing Ovie and Kuz and Holtby and a bunch of others in at least a conference final would have been wonderful. Dumbasd seeding method.

And we get to witness plenty of terrible hot takes, such as https://twitter.com/SlavaMalamud?s=09

What a clown

Malamud's always had something against Ovechkin; there's something personal going on there. What a weird rant to go on in the face of the obvious evidence, stat-wise and eye-test, that the Caps largely out-performed the Pens and were within a margin of inches of advancing against the second best team in the east (decimation by injury aside). And who looks at Ovie and says, he just doesn't have the passion and desire to win? Dellow pointed out in a pretty measured series of tweets about hypothetical trade scenarios that Ovie didn't really earn his full cap hit this season. A fair criticism, but it didn't actually seem to matter in 2016-2017. It is more a concern going forward given who is rolling off of ELC and cheap RFA contracts, but these twitter rants are as stuck in the past as the Caps' mindset.

Also, the Leonsis stuff seems very off-base given the obvious emotion he has invested in this team; dude has literally fought fans before (lol).

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

https://twitter.com/MartyBannister/status/862483125422698497

Seriously though, are there people who still question the guy's desire to win? Look at him after he scores literally every goal, you can't fake that.

:ohdear: can you?

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

JawKnee posted:

NHL N/V Loser City: Oil crashes amid Capital loses

Want to make sure this gets a little recognition

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Arabian Jesus posted:

Want to make sure this gets a little recognition

It did for a bit. Then a better title appeared.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Now we'll never know if an Ottawa-Washington series would have led to some Trump twitter tirades towards Trudeau.

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum

flakeloaf posted:

https://twitter.com/MartyBannister/status/862483125422698497

Seriously though, are there people who still question the guy's desire to win? Look at him after he scores literally every goal, you can't fake that.

:ohdear: can you?

There's no doubt at all that he wants to win. It's just that he also wants me to be unhappy.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/862665080785309696

it's finally going to happen

edit:

https://twitter.com/SabresPR/status/862670204895199234

winning the offseason

whatis fucked around with this message at 15:07 on May 11, 2017

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
So a couple of years ago I met a guy who was a professional skating...instructor, or something. He said then that McDavid was already one of the best skaters he'd ever seen, and this was when he was still in juniors. I assumed he was exaggerating and playing into McDavid draft hype, etc.

Now...I think he was right, and McDavid is probably the best all around hockey skater I've ever seen.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
If one looks at how Sakic and Roy were great players and shithouse execs, Buffalo Sabres fans are in for one hell of a great ride.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

bewbies posted:

So a couple of years ago I met a guy who was a professional skating...instructor, or something. He said then that McDavid was already one of the best skaters he'd ever seen, and this was when he was still in juniors. I assumed he was exaggerating and playing into McDavid draft hype, etc.

Now...I think he was right, and McDavid is probably the best all around hockey skater I've ever seen.

He's certainly the fastest skater I've ever seen. I'd put Crosby/Bure's edgework right up against Mcdavid's though.

All around though yeah you can make the case. Hard to compare across eras though but I don't think a player has made others look as silly with their skating ability since well....Orr.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That move he made behind the net last night in the 3rd to stop on a dime and cut out in front of the net was just ridiculous.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

He's certainly the fastest skater I've ever seen. I'd put Crosby/Bure's edgework right up against Mcdavid's though.

I dunno about that. Maybe its because his competition was that much slower (or my personal bias), but Bure remains the fastest player I've ever seen at full speed. He could start several strides behind a guy at centre ice and have a clear cut breakaway by the blueline, I don't think anyone else in history that can match that. McDavid is better at quick pivots and stops, and he's probably the fastest player in the league today, but he doesn't touch Bure for acceleration or top end speed. McDavid is about a thousand times the distributor that Bure was though.

Seriously, I think people forget just how quick he really was before all the injuries

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSckoQzAITs&t=1111s

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 15:44 on May 11, 2017

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Pre-injury Bure was probably faster (certainly was faster relative to his competition) but I don't think he was really close to McDavid for balance and agility. McDavid is crazy strong on his skates and makes turns that do not seem like they should be allowed by physics.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

I dunno about that. Maybe its because his competition was that much slower (or my personal bias), but Bure remains the fastest player I've ever seen at full speed. He could start several strides behind a guy at centre ice and have a clear cut breakaway by the blueline, I don't think anyone else in history that can match that. McDavid is better at quick pivots and stops, and he's probably the fastest player in the league today, but he doesn't touch Bure for acceleration or top end speed. McDavid is about a thousand times the distributor that Bure was though.

Seriously, I think people forget just how quick he really was before all the injuries

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSckoQzAITs&t=1111s

I dunno, it's close. I do think Bure was better with his shiftiness/edgework though. Mcdavid is fantastic at that too, but Bure absolutely embarrassed fools with his lateral movement. He was very Crosby-like in that regard but unlike Crosby he also had a top gear that was unmatched.

Bure was fuckin' ridiculous basically. I wish we'd seen him in today's NHL. It's perfectly designed for his game.

Mcdavid just has those long strides though. He kinda fools teams because sometimes it doesn't even look like he's going at mach 10 but it's two or three long quick strides and he's suddenly creating a chance out of nothing. With Bure he was smaller so you knew he was coming at you at light speed but you still couldn't stop him.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Comparing McDavid to Bure seems a bit silly. Bure could score goals.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

bewbies posted:

I'd love if one of these dudes would put a detailed analysis online somewhere. Not that anyone could really make use of the information, but getting the insight from people who have actually skated or trained at NHL levels would be a fun read.

"He's the best" or "his edgework is insane" doesn't really inform much.

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

Jordan Eberle For Sale

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Bure having his knees taken out is one of the worst things...even after all those knee problems though he could still fly and burn people like it was nothing. It's just that one last knee injury pretty much broke him. loving Curtis Brown

in other news this makes me very mad

https://twitter.com/HartnettHockey/status/862679812393062400

gently caress off. You jackasses have been saying that for the past couple of years where you've embarrassed yourselves in the playoffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum

Slappy Pappy posted:

Well I woke up today and it turns out I don't like hockey at all.

• Locked thread