Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

Lakbay posted:

I had the the Nightmare spawn when I renewed the neuromod licenses and I thought they only had a chance to spawn when you installed a Typhon mod

I got it when I first got to the Crew Quarters and I don't have any Typhon mods either. That's a pretty common location apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

It's about ethics in gaming journalism.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Tunahead posted:

I got it when I first got to the Crew Quarters and I don't have any Typhon mods either. That's a pretty common location apparently.

It's weird because January specifically says "the Typhon sent it out because you installed a Typhon neuromod" when I clearly didn't

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I feel like it was a really bad design decision to have January explain all this to you after it has come into your sight and noticed you and is running at you to explode your head with psionic attacks and big stompy Godzilla feet.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Yeah as far as I can tell you can only scan the tentacles. Which is a shame because going face to face with that kind of stuff in hard vaccum is a beloved space trope.

Theoretically you might be able to get back outside the station if there are console commands to give yourself godmode or something like that. All the actual airlocks are blocked but you might still be able to get out through the makeshift shipping container airlock if you didn't die as soon as you stepped in that room. Safe to assume it would just look like normal outside even if you managed to cheat your way out though, it's not like they would have actually created a giant Apex model for that scenario.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I had zero trouble with that thing, oddly enough. I just ran right up to it and shotgun dumped, same as I did for literally everything else difficult. Apparently the only mods you need to trivialize the game are Security Weapons II and Gunsmith II.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Maybe January made the connection about the nightmare and Typhon mods after it happened.

Maybe they'll fix that bugged dialogue line. I guess it happens the first time a nightmare hunts you?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 17:25 on May 11, 2017

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Stevefin posted:

Game Spot gave it a 6, and did not have the game breaking bug. panned it for being misleading and uninspiring, The critic in me kinda wants to say they are giving them worse, or crappy reviews purposely as an act of defiant of Bethesdas new review policy, I think Prey is the first game on it too

Who in their right mind would give this game a 6? Even if I hadn't liked it, I'd still give it at least 7.5 because you can FEEL the quality oozing out of the screen.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Im one of the folk with corrupted saves. My Neuromod division was broken and I couldnt do some interesting sidequest things in there as a result. Now December is destroyed because I was forced to move on. I'm not sure if that was the cause of death though. My questions are essentially whether or not I now missed out on some interesting quests, if this changed things down the line and if I am still early enough in the game that a restart is not a bad idea.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

khwarezm posted:

Man, this game is getting some harsh reviews.

being forced to rush through the game to get reviews out probably had a little to do with it but overall it has more good reviews than bad ones. Some though, like the IGN review, are Godhand levels of WTF. The complaints of "doesn't do enough to elevate genre" are horseshit in my opinion---that didn't stop everyone from giving Uncharted 4 perfect scores last year, did it?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

BigglesSWE posted:

Who in their right mind would give this game a 6? Even if I hadn't liked it, I'd still give it at least 7.5 because you can FEEL the quality oozing out of the screen.

Reading through that review, the guy has some serious nostalgia goggles for what Bioshock was. No wonder they can't see how Prey improved upon it.

Also saying that the rooms in a space station look samey is grade A insane, especially considering all the microgravity sections like the G.U.T.S.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 17:35 on May 11, 2017

Serf
May 5, 2011

I'll never forget when Justin McElroy got confused by fishing in Nier and gave it a 0 for Joystiq. I always found that very funny.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

DLC Inc posted:

being forced to rush through the game to get reviews out probably had a little to do with it but overall it has more good reviews than bad ones. Some though, like the IGN review, are Godhand levels of WTF. The complaints of "doesn't do enough to elevate genre" are horseshit in my opinion---that didn't stop everyone from giving Uncharted 4 perfect scores last year, did it?

IGN :can:

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 17:57 on May 11, 2017

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I can see how the ending would leave a bad taste in people's mouths and color the reviews. Plot issues aside, the entire ending sequence was a giant parade of loading screens. It was really dumb how they make you run all the way to Psychotronics to plant the nullwave device, and then all the way back up to the bridge just to push a button, where the scariest thing on the whole route was a voltaic phantom. Alex you don't have to wait for me to get there, just shoot January and push the button yourself, I don't mind.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
I find it to be a real shame that this game disappeared off the steam top sellers pretty much the next day after it came out.

BigglesSWE posted:

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Reading through that review, the guy has some serious nostalgia goggles for what Bioshock was. No wonder they can't see how Prey improved upon it.

I would have thought more reviewers would know about system shock 2. This game feels pretty much exactly like it, only with a modern coat of paint and even more choices on how to play.

It really is a drat shame that some pissy reviewers are unjustly giving it poor reviews. The only bug I've run into (on the un-patched version) was that a camera in the volunteer quarters was not attached to the ceiling but just floating in the air.

For people running low on metal and synthetics: recycle packaged foods and drinks and mimic tumors(requires skill). They provide substantial amounts of the stuff over the course of the game. Operator husks provide a good amount of metal too. Has anyone found a good environmental object that provides synthetics?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Also saying that the rooms in a space station look samey is grade A insane, especially considering all the microgravity sections like the G.U.T.S.

The design of Talos-1 is great, it actually looks like the sort of functional science station NASA might build if they had unlimited funding and the functional capability to do so. Massive solar panels on the exterior, pipelines running all over the place, separate chambers for cargo storage and transportation, etc. It looks like a real station instead of video game nonsense or a "futuristic" setting where everything is made of energy crystals and holograms.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

The design of Talos-1 is great, it actually looks like the sort of functional science station NASA might build if they had unlimited funding and the functional capability to do so. Massive solar panels on the exterior, pipelines running all over the place, separate chambers for cargo storage and transportation, etc. It looks like a real station instead of video game nonsense or a "futuristic" setting where everything is made of energy crystals and holograms.

Hell, Alien Isolation was ten times worse than this with samey corridors all throughout and everyone loved that.

Serf
May 5, 2011

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

And then outside there are golden statues and the inside has a weird art deco style that I really dig. Austin Walker said that the older Shock games were about ideology, but this game is about history, and I feel like that's really accurate.

Also I reckon that people leave out System Shock 2 because the majority of their audience has no idea those games exist and think Bioshock invented this whole style of game.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I was going to say that SS2 wasn't that old and I'm surprised but then I remembered that people born the year it came out are now in college :gonk:

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

iRend posted:

Jealous reading about all these people who have opinions on the game, having finished it.

I'm stuck trying to locate loving Kaspar, who is outside the station somewhere, has no indicator despite me being on the beta patch, and i've been unable to find after several hours of searching.

Go to teh carbo bay. There should be a red light and a panel missing around the blown opening of the carbo bay, he is around there.

Or at least he was for me when I had the exact same issue.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I was 10 years old when System Shock 2 came out. I don't think I played it until I was 12, but still probably not the best game for a kid. But yeah the game is old.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Broose posted:

I would have thought more reviewers would know about system shock 2. This game feels pretty much exactly like it, only with a modern coat of paint and even more choices on how to play.

I honestly think games journalists are some of the least-informed people on video games, especially if they're older than a decade or so.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I believe Kaspar's location is randomized each playthrough because he's been nowhere near where everyone else is mentioned

Also some safe codes are randomized each playthrough so you have to find the code again. The magnetosphere safe had a different code this time

Also the scope and suit mods are different too, dishonored did similar stuff with bonecharms

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
This game has amazing level design, garbage enemy design, pretty bad human design/animation, decent-ish weapons, cool and fun powers, and a story that becomes laughably terrible towards the end. Also good lord the bugs.

Its not the second coming of christ but it is a good game.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Genocyber posted:

I honestly think games journalists are some of the least-informed people on video games, especially if they're older than a decade or so.

Which is weird, because it seems like a basic requirement to be a reviewer. Hell I didn't play System Shock 2 until at least 2008 and it wasn't literally my job.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Is there a way to fix the magnetosphere? I must have spent 30 minutes scouring every corner looking for something but all I found were the multiple caches of stuff. Also is there a code somewhere for the safe there?

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.
Just bought System Shock 2 after finishing this game - I've played it at least 3 times before but never actually got close to the end, just far enough to get on the Brickenbacker or whatever. Still feels as awesome playing as all those years ago.

n4
Jul 26, 2001

Poor Chu-Chu : (

Broose posted:

Is there a way to fix the magnetosphere? I must have spent 30 minutes scouring every corner looking for something but all I found were the multiple caches of stuff. Also is there a code somewhere for the safe there?

I was stuck on this last night. I'm doing a Typhon only run and I couldn't unlock that computer that controls the magnetosphere. It just shows error status and won't let me do anything.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.
Just remembered something - there was a bunch of people locked in that IT Room in the T1 Lobby, never did find the keycard to get inside. Has anyone been successful?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Kontradaz posted:

Just remembered something - there was a bunch of people locked in that IT Room in the T1 Lobby, never did find the keycard to get inside. Has anyone been successful?

From what I read on Reddit there's no actual way to get inside, it's purely there to store a few people who are then spawned into the game if you're on a psychopath murder run.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Broose posted:

I find it to be a real shame that this game disappeared off the steam top sellers pretty much the next day after it came out.

it's #2 on the top sellers right now? if you're using the steam client it doesn't show games you already own on the top sellers list unless you hit the view all top sellers button.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

n4 posted:

I was stuck on this last night. I'm doing a Typhon only run and I couldn't unlock that computer that controls the magnetosphere. It just shows error status and won't let me do anything.

Solution

No, you can only temporarily shut it down so that you can run inside to grab the key card. You actually can go inside even without shutting it down and take no damage, but I think you die if you are inside when the pulse occurs.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Cowcaster posted:

it's #2 on the top sellers right now? if you're using the steam client it doesn't show games you already own on the top sellers list unless you hit the view all top sellers button.

Saw a lot of people coming to this same conclusion for other games after they made this change to the steam client lol

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Knifegrab posted:

This game has amazing level design, garbage enemy design, pretty bad human design/animation, decent-ish weapons, cool and fun powers, and a story that becomes laughably terrible towards the end. Also good lord the bugs.

Its not the second coming of christ but it is a good game.

Yeah, I feel the same way. Bugs aside (lol I somehow flew into the geometry while in space and could just clip through the whole space station) there's too many things that hold this game back from being really god drat good.

When does the story begin to fall apart? I just got to the crew quarters and I'm still enjoying it but I guess it's not off the rails yet?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
The ending is pretty divisive. I thought it was lame but others said it worked for them

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

s.i.r.e. posted:

Yeah, I feel the same way. Bugs aside (lol I somehow flew into the geometry while in space and could just clip through the whole space station) there's too many things that hold this game back from being really god drat good.

When does the story begin to fall apart? I just got to the crew quarters and I'm still enjoying it but I guess it's not off the rails yet?

I'd say it starts getting lovely and bad around there. It stagnates where you are at until it gets to the final act which is just strictly bad.

Its pretty funny because a lot of people are calling out games journos as being bad, and well a lot of them are, but the people doing it are exactly the same just in the opposite direction.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Did we learn what the secret way of playing that dev mentioned on Twitter is yet?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

fadam posted:

Did we learn what the secret way of playing that dev mentioned on Twitter is yet?

Not yet! I am eager to find this out as well.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
It's not going to be a grand secret, it's just going to be some combination of killing NPCs at weird times and doing things in a weird order that the dev is smug about having predicted and included a line or two of dialogue to acknowledge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

fadam posted:

Apparently it's just this:

https://twitter.com/ShawnElliott/status/862424710956634112

Kind of weak, really. I was hoping for some obscure ending that can only be achieved by performing a really specific series of tasks or something like that.