Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
My money on the powder on the purple mattresses is that it's a mold release agent that they don't bother to rinse off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaginaface
Aug 26, 2013

HEY REI HEY REI,
do vaginaface!

Vaginaface posted:

What's a good temporary sleeping arrangement?

Wow, great question! Here's a great solution.
Take:
1x camping pad
1x -30° down mummy bag
6x random blankets

Wrap each of items 1 and 2 in one of the more cushioned blankets, then stack them vertically. Next, fold the remaining blankets into ~3' wide strips, and add them to the pile. Lay the far 1/3 of the final two blankets over the pile, and you'll be able to wrap yourself awkwardly.

Functioning adults HATE this one easy trick.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

signalnoise posted:

My money on the powder on the purple mattresses is that it's a mold release agent that they don't bother to rinse off.

I thought they already acknowledged that it functions as lubricant for shipping. The question is, what the hell is it made of?

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?

Shooting Blanks posted:

I thought they already acknowledged that it functions as lubricant for shipping. The question is, what the hell is it made of?

Upon doing a bit of reading it looks like the coating is polyurethane. I recently purchased a purple mattress and it's been great. I'm now trying to figure out how much I should worry about this.

From the dude's video it looked like he had to press pretty hard to actually get some of the stuff on the shirt, and that's after removing two layers of material on top of the mattress.

Obviously I'd rather not breathe this stuff in but I'm really not sure how big a deal it functionally is. I suppose you could volatilise the coating by jumping up and down on the mattress or by smacking it really hard. I don't see anything when I do that.

KoB
May 1, 2009
I was thinking about giving Purple a try but when theyre being so weird about this powder and instead of telling people whats in it theyre suing mattress reviewers doesnt leave me with much confidence.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
So far this thread has been recommending mattresses with an emphasis on economical, but if I were willing to spend thousands instead of hundreds, could I actually find better quality in terms of comfort and health? Or are all needs more or less optimized for within the hundreds range and spending more is like buying gold-plated cables?

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

KoB posted:

I was thinking about giving Purple a try but when theyre being so weird about this powder and instead of telling people whats in it theyre suing mattress reviewers doesnt leave me with much confidence.

Purple has joined into an agreement with Mattress Firm, and so they will likely be available to try in store in a few weeks/months. There was a really big [anemic] press event where Mattress Firm brought in Steve Wozniak to reveal products. Unfortunately, most all of the products were already carried, but sure why not.

jon joe posted:

So far this thread has been recommending mattresses with an emphasis on economical, but if I were willing to spend thousands instead of hundreds, could I actually find better quality in terms of comfort and health? Or are all needs more or less optimized for within the hundreds range and spending more is like buying gold-plated cables?

Speaking as someone who knows entirely too much about beds, there are noticable increases in quality with more traditional bedding as you step up in price. Important breakpoints are ~$500 (I would strongly recommend against getting beds in this price range for everyday use for adults), ~$1k, and $2k. For example, if you look at the difference between a $700 beautyrest and a $1200 beautyrest, you'll find both more foam and a higher coil count (meaning better support, comfort, and durability), and you would see a similar bump in quality going up to the $1700 BR mattress. Once you move beyond it, though, the coil count tends to be somewhat similar, and instead price increases come from more sophisticated comfort layers and supplemental support layers.

If you've got specific needs, I can make some recommendations. I'm well acquainted with the biggest brands, and most of their product lines.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Anyone have any longer-term opinions on their Purple or other synthetic mattresses?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Bought a purple pillow here because of Page 1. Sure hope that there wasn't anything in between that was poo poo.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Thanatosian posted:

Anyone have any longer-term opinions on their Purple or other synthetic mattresses?

Still love it, the pillows are great too. Also got their special sheets. Only downside of Purple stuff is it takes for loving ever to deliver. It's worth it though.

The mattress powder has caused a terrible wasting pox to fall upon my house, however. I'm the only one left alive, withered to naught but bone & leathery flesh, lying beside the corpse of my wife on our Purple mattress, possessing just enough strength to type product reviews online.

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.
So I've been sleeping on buying a mattress for months and I'm still indecisive.

Basically, it's a tossup between
Nest Bedding, Love and Sleep, $600 plus pillow $99
Ghostbed, $795, including two pillows or $100 off

I'm also thinking about higher quality options like Nest Bedding Alexander Signature or Hybrid.

Anyone have experiences with these mattresses?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Why not just order the Ghostbed, if you decide you don't like it, return it and try one of the Nests?

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Anyone sleep on a Casper? Been thinking of getting one.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Texibus posted:

Anyone sleep on a Casper? Been thinking of getting one.

Target acquired Casper not too long ago. By this point, most Targets (at least the big ones) should have Casper mattresses available to try.

I'm going to try to keep my professional opinions to myself regarding beds in a box so I can feel less like a shill. :v:

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Shill away, I asked for opinions. I'm a back/side sleeper around 200lbs who can get very hot in the night.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Just over 4 months with a Purple bed reporting back, and still very much enjoying it!
I don't fall asleep instantly because I have terrible habits that keep me awake at night, but it is way more comfortable than my couch or guest bed by a very wide margin.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I'm sending my Leesa back. Back to pillow tops.

It seems the world has gone toward foam mattresses so most of the thread is recommendations for those. Leesa, Casper, Purple, etc. Are there any pillow top recommendations? I'm kinda prepared to spend twice as much on a mattress that will last half as long, but I'd prefer not to go into the purchase blind.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

It seems the world has gone toward foam mattresses so most of the thread is recommendations for those. Leesa, Casper, Purple, etc. Are there any pillow top recommendations? I'm kinda prepared to spend twice as much on a mattress that will last half as long, but I'd prefer not to go into the purchase blind.

From what I understand pillowtops tend to get the stinkeye because the top can bunch up/fall apart in months.

If you want to look at a mattress brand that's not the usual Leesa/Casper/Ghostbed/Tuft & Needle/Purple medley, my dad and his co-workers apparently swear by Bob O' Pedic mattresses, and they're all cranky blue-collar utilities workers with arthritis and lumbago and questionable opinions on kids these days.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Oxxidation posted:

From what I understand pillowtops tend to get the stinkeye because the top can bunch up/fall apart in months.

If you want to look at a mattress brand that's not the usual Leesa/Casper/Ghostbed/Tuft & Needle/Purple medley, my dad and his co-workers apparently swear by Bob O' Pedic mattresses, and they're all cranky blue-collar utilities workers with arthritis and lumbago and questionable opinions on kids these days.
Eh my queen pillowtop is older than I care to admit and is the best night's sleep I can ask for. I'll have to get some real reading done on alternatives.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

It really depends on what you want out of the bed. Generally speaking, you'll be spending at least $650ish for a good-enough pillow top. If you chip in about $1k you can get some good stuff from most places. I sell a fairly high amount of pillowtops and plush mattresses around the $1k-$1.3k range, and they're quite good mattresses. I can make a few recommendations, but I'm somewhat hesitant to point blank give away my credentials willy-nilly, but that's because of the paranoia that graduate school instilled in me wrt personal info online. Shoot me a PM if you want some ~expert advice~. You wouldn't be the first one I've helped. :h:

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Any advice for obese side/stomach sleepers? I actually was talking to the guy who runs the sleepopolis blog and he suggested avoiding foam/latex designs because they will probably have lifetime issues with "heavy sleepers". The fact that most seem to have a max weight capacity on their twin beds between 200 and 300 pounds supports this. I almost pulled the trigger on a WinkBed on his suggestion, and noticed they actually do make a bed for obese sleepers, specifically [*excepted from an e-mail]:

winkbeds posted:

That being said, we actually do produce another version of our bed, which is designed specifically for users who would exceed the weight recommendations for our standard WinkBed mattress. In the custom bed which I am describing, we've upgraded the components of the mattress to a more supportive and more durable design. The custom bed uses two types of foams, Hypersoft and Latex, both of which are resilient and chosen for their durability qualities.

I've never had a problem with the support of beds for normal sleepers through, and between the two versions of the winkbed and just all the other brands out there have been a bit paralyzed by choice.

What would you recommend?

Chuu fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Aug 14, 2017

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Chuu posted:

Any advice for obese side/stomach sleepers? I actually was talking to the guy who runs the sleepopolis blog and he suggested avoiding foam/latex designs because they will probably have lifetime issues with "heavy sleepers". The fact that most seem to have a max weight capacity on their twin beds between 200 and 300 pounds supports this. I almost pulled the trigger on a WinkBed on his suggestion, and noticed they actually do make a bed for obese sleepers, specifically [*excepted from an e-mail]:

I've never had a problem with the support of beds for normal sleepers through, and between the two versions of the winkbed and just all the other brands out there have been a bit paralyzed by choice.

What would you recommend?

Likely I would steer you towards foam that is high density. It should be durable enough to handle whatever weight you may be, without any long-term issues.
Latex, I have no opinion or professional experience on.
If you want to lean towards traditional mattresses, I'd suggest a firm pillowtop. If you have the money (or financing capability), the Beautyrest Black lines or Legend lines should be plenty durable enough. Black beds all have triple braided coils, while Legend beds have a half-inch layer of latex to assist with durability (my only experience with latex). Depending on your weight, you may want a bed labeled as a firm (coils are stouter).

High density foams are going to be pricey, and both of those BR lines will have a premium. "Firm" generally designates the firmer (read: thicker) coil, with cushion firm and luxury firm designating a softer top on the firm coil.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Eh my queen pillowtop is older than I care to admit and is the best night's sleep I can ask for. I'll have to get some real reading done on alternatives.

I've heard good things about saatva mattresses. They quilt their pillowtops to keep the stuffing from getting all scrunched around. I'm thinking of getting one in the new year, possibly.

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Why not just order the Ghostbed, if you decide you don't like it, return it and try one of the Nests?

Thanks, dude. When I first read this, I was like :aaa:

I ordered the Nest Love and Sleep Medium mattress and Easy Breather pillow a month ago. I'm super happy with the purchase.

The mattress sleeps cool and is neither too hard nor too soft. It might actually be too soft for stomach sleepers, and as a chronic stomach sleeper myself, that worried me. However, now the bed and pillow allow me to fall asleep on my back or side, so that's a big plus.

The pillow is fantastic and you can easily take out some of the shredded memory foam to adjust the feel of the pillow. It's a bit warmer feeling than the mattress, but somehow it doesn't seem to matter. It's like putting your head on a cloud.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Shooting Blanks posted:

Purple is suing one of the mattress review blogs. Not a good look for them.

https://www.honestmattressreviews.com/purple-sues-honest-reviews/

So, links to purple mattress on that site no longer go anywhere and there's a lovely banner stating:

quote:

THE OWNER OF HMR, RYAN MONAHAN, HAS PREVIOUSLY HELD HIMSELF OUT TO THE PUBLIC AND THE COURT AS INDEPENDENT AND UNBIASED. HOWEVER, THE FEDERAL DISTRICT COURT HAS FOUND THAT MONAHAN HAS A SIGNIFICANT BUSINESS RELATIONSHIP WITH GHOSTBED AND ITS CEO, MARC WERNER, FROM WHICH MONAHAN DERIVES SIGNIFICANT INCOME. THE COURT ALSO FOUND THAT HMR HAS BEEN CONSISTENTLY FAVORABLE TO GHOSTBED, AND UNFAIRLY CRITICAL OF PURPLE’S PRODUCTS, ONE OF GHOSTBED’S PRIMARY COMPETITORS. FOR MORE INFORMATION, CLICK HERE

So I guess purple won that one? I didn't click here to read more. Are people still liking their purple mattresses? I'm going to be shopping for a new mattress after I move out of state in a few weeks and am pretty interested in the purple.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

fknlo posted:

So, links to purple mattress on that site no longer go anywhere and there's a lovely banner stating:

So I guess purple won that one? I didn't click here to read more. Are people still liking their purple mattresses? I'm going to be shopping for a new mattress after I move out of state in a few weeks and am pretty interested in the purple.

Yep, looks like Purple won.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

I wanted to slide in here and thank the person that posted about Tuft and Needle. I got a hold of one of their fulls and it's amazing. I'm a side sleeper and it's extremely comfortable.

Just need to figure out a new pillow situation now.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Ordered a Brooklyn Bedding Best Mattress Ever and a bunch of stuff from Brooklinen last night. Hopefully I like it all!

Ordeith
Oct 26, 2002

If I troll again, I will eat Hello Kitty's brains with a spork

Preechr posted:

I've had a Tempur-pedic mattress for years. It is the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in. As it is essentially really expensive memory foam, it is hot as balls if you sleep warmly at all. Doesn't bother me unless it's the summer and I'm not running the A/C. Doesn't seem to make sex any more difficult, just quieter.

Another vote in support of Tempur. I bought one of the Cloud mattresses years ago, as well as the support structure for it (replacing the 'box spring'). The support structure has, I think, around 20 zones that are individually adjustable to provide extra firmness or make the area more soft. I leave it all on the 'medium' setting and sleep like a dream on it.

On the heat part - yeah, if the ambient temperature in a room is 30C+ you're going to have a bit of a rough time. But, barring that, the heat has not been a problem for me.

I balked initially at the cost of buying one, not believing that it could make such a difference, but it really does. I sleep like a stone wrapped in a hug on one of these.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Reene posted:

I wanted to slide in here and thank the person that posted about Tuft and Needle. I got a hold of one of their fulls and it's amazing. I'm a side sleeper and it's extremely comfortable.

Did you put a pillow top on the mattress, or sleep directly on it?

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Directly on it. I prefer a firmer feel.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
So I've had my Best Mattress Ever for 2 nights now and my Brooklinen stuff for about a week.

I loving love the Brooklinen stuff. The sheets feel great and breathe fairly well, the down pillows and comforter are cool too. I was absolutely sleeping cooler with them on my old mattress. The down comforter creates this weird warmth that is really warm but not as overpowering as the insanely heavy synthetic comforter I was using. So far I'd definitely recommend their stuff if you're looking to blow a little money.

I obviously can't give a good review on the mattress yet, but no complaints so far. I got the medium firmness and I'm not gonna lie, it's quite a bit firmer than I was expecting. I'm primarily a stomach sleeper so this isn't a bad thing for me.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Reene posted:

You're welcome and you want to go get the two biggest, heaviest extra-firm down pillows you can find and two of these:

http://www.sleepinnovations.com/product/forever-cool-gel-memory-foam-pillow/

I found them at a Big Lots for $15 on a lark but would gladly pay $60 each to replace if anything happened to them. They're a good firm base layer to go under a down pillow but unlike any other foam pillow I've had, are completely formable to shape.

E: of course, if you're REALLY serious about pillows...

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Oct 19, 2017

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

fknlo posted:

Ordered a Brooklyn Bedding Best Mattress Ever and a bunch of stuff from Brooklinen last night. Hopefully I like it all!

I picked one of those up a few months ago and I love it. Best bed I've slept it.

Jazu
Jan 1, 2006

Looking for some URANIUM? CLICK HERE
I got a cheap memory foam mattress (the zeni or whatever that shows up on amazon), and lying on it was okay, but the heat was a deal-breaker. I ended up waking up sweaty, and stopped using it. So apparently other people have had this happen? Has anyone tried cheap vs. expensive foam? Is latex better?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Jazu posted:

I got a cheap memory foam mattress (the zeni or whatever that shows up on amazon), and lying on it was okay, but the heat was a deal-breaker. I ended up waking up sweaty, and stopped using it. So apparently other people have had this happen? Has anyone tried cheap vs. expensive foam? Is latex better?

My best mattress ever seems to be better as far as heat goes than my foam bed from Costco but it's too early to really tell for me. I'm still getting warm but that might have something to do with me getting the "all season" comforter instead of the lightweight one. The new sheets I have absolutely breathe better than my old ones though.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
Trying to debate between the Ikea latex mattress or the purple since that seems to be a fan favorite. Anyone want to way in on the pros and cons of either of them?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
This is amazing, and makes me never want to buy a mattress again.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Chillyrabbit posted:

Trying to debate between the Ikea latex mattress or the purple since that seems to be a fan favorite. Anyone want to way in on the pros and cons of either of them?

Latex is good and very durable as long as it doesn't get wet. In general, it doesn't disapate heat very well, but if that doesn't matter for you, go hog wild. I'm unfamiliar with the exact mattress you have your eye on, I just know that Ikea tends towards ultra-firm (for Americans) mattresses. Purple, in contrast, seems to be quite soft. I can't speak to the cooling properties of Purple products, as their weird polymer layer is certifiably unique.

Mattress sales is a highly lucrative business, and (ecommerce, especially) is cutthroat as gently caress. Their add campaigns, as a rule, tend to be very colorful, trendy, and derogatory towards any and all competitors. I don't know how much Casper may have changed since being acquired by Target, but Tuft & Needle and Purple seem to enjoy a no-holds-barred approach to their advertising. Brick-and-mortar stores, in my experience, tend to be tamer because of the actual human face-to-face interaction. Not always, of course, but the meanness is on a much smaller scale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Synastren posted:

Latex is good and very durable as long as it doesn't get wet. In general, it doesn't disapate heat very well, but if that doesn't matter for you, go hog wild. I'm unfamiliar with the exact mattress you have your eye on, I just know that Ikea tends towards ultra-firm (for Americans) mattresses. Purple, in contrast, seems to be quite soft. I can't speak to the cooling properties of Purple products, as their weird polymer layer is certifiably unique.

I pulled the trigger on a purple one as I figure if I don't like it I get the 100 day free trial and can go get an Ikea locally. Wanted to mix it up.