Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I like Griffin talking about eating the flowers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Coffee And Pie posted:

Hatchi matchi!

This is the only McElroyism that regularly zooms through my brain and I have to try really hard not to start saying lest I sound like a weirdo

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Somewhere Jay Sherman sheds a tear and whispers "it...stinks"

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

SpacePig posted:

I've used "In a grip" to mean in a long time more times than I even realize, probably.

this is 100% from UYD originally.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

well why not posted:

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

Somewhere Jay Sherman sheds a tear and whispers "it...stinks"

every mcelroyism is an appropriation

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Coffee And Pie posted:

Hatchi matchi!

I went through my hatchi matchi phase when the Critic was on like a normal person

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Drunkboxer posted:

I'm still in my hatchi matchi phase from when the Critic was on like a normal person

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

People watched The Critic?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Waffleman_ posted:

Everybody watched The Critic! I watched The Critic when it was on ABC!

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Waffleman_ posted:

The Critic is amazing!

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
It was and is a good show.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

It was no Clone High or Duckman for that matter.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I didn't know The Critic existed until it was brought up in this thread but hachi machi is a great term that I now use often thanks to Justin.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

well why not posted:

I knew about hachi machi, but this is news to me. Well.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I sometimes sing the song Final Pam sang to Metal Son to our puppy. My wife gives me weird looks when I tell the dog she's full of coffee grounds.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
Let's part the kimono a bit.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
I like when the McElroys use the word "the". Such a funny and original creation!

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
You think this is bad, UYD used to have an extensive wiki that had incredible pinpoint references to running injokes, turns of phrase and transcripts and everything. It was really something else.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I really like that MBMBaM for the most part avoids arcane and long-running in-jokes. That poo poo sucks and is anti-humor; it's what I dislike most about stuff like Comedy Bang! Bang!

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Colonel Whitey posted:

I really like that MBMBaM for the most part avoids arcane and long-running in-jokes. That poo poo sucks and is anti-humor; it's what I dislike most about stuff like Comedy Bang! Bang!

agreed and that's why the fushigi fanfiction contest announcement episode was so loving terrible, it wasn't funny and was just a forced in joke

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Colonel Whitey posted:

Fair enough on CBB, but in their defence the anniversary and especially the year-end best-of eps are pretty accessible. The recent 8th anniversary ep is a loving hoot, thanks to a new character being a riff on The Chief from the Where in the World Is Carmen Sandiego? game show.

MBMBaM brings back in-jokes once in a while like during MaxFunDrive or live shows but it's really deliberate fanservice when they do. Otherwise they do well to keep things fresh instead of milking them to death.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Poque posted:

agreed and that's why the fushigi fanfiction contest announcement episode was so loving terrible, it wasn't funny and was just a forced in joke

on the other hand
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boMDysWnpIY

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Kenny Logins posted:

Fair enough on CBB, but in their defence the anniversary and especially the year-end best-of eps are pretty accessible. The recent 8th anniversary ep is a loving hoot, thanks to a new character being a riff on The Chief from the Where in the World Is Carmen Sandiego? game show.

MBMBaM brings back in-jokes once in a while like during MaxFunDrive or live shows but it's really deliberate fanservice when they do. Otherwise they do well to keep things fresh instead of milking them to death.

Oh yeah I mean I love CBB but I just hate it when a fan favorite character comes on and they rely heavily on backstory and jokes that were established like 3 years ago

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Kenny Logins posted:

You think this is bad, UYD used to have an extensive wiki that had incredible pinpoint references to running injokes, turns of phrase and transcripts and everything. It was really something else.

What's UYD?

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I will say, 20🐍: Zag On 'Em has been pretty good so far

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Kenny Logins posted:

So you haven't seen the MBMAM wiki, then

Serf
May 5, 2011

I feel like they used to say "part the kimono" a lot and now they don't. Which is an example of retiring an old in-joke I guess. Apparently they'd like "am I good" to die too but it refuses.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

well why not posted:

I swear like half of Griffin's language is pulled from Uhh Yeah Dude.

Uhh Yeah Dude, a comedy podcast hosted by Seth Romatelli and Johnathan LaRoquette, son of the famous actor of the same name. It's one of the McElroys' biggest influences, but honestly I couldn't get into it.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Serf posted:

I feel like they used to say "part the kimono" a lot and now they don't. Which is an example of retiring an old in-joke I guess. Apparently they'd like "am I good" to die too but it refuses.

I don't think they retired part the kimono because it was an old in-joke, but because some people said it was offensive or something along those lines.

edit: they even explicitly mentioned UYD in the latest ep when Travis does his horse name game, because it's something UYD has done a whole bunch.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

It's the show Travis borrowed the kentucky derby bit from

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Uhh Yeah Dude, explicitly cited as an inspiration for MBMBaM early on. It's good, topical chat, and OK to jump into whenever, generally, as long as you don't hit a live ep IMO. The only real thing to know is that one of the hosts is John Larroquette's son.

I... had not. Perusing the two, the UYD one was still more impenetrable, but that show's been on a lot longer.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I love Car Boys but they could really stand to stop forcing 'antagonist' narratives onto the show. The stuff the blob does is wild but they always try to force this narrative of 'containing' some pretend threat. Busto happened pretty organically but even that ended up dragging on a bit. The stuff with the blob is the opposite of organic.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

purple death ray posted:

The stuff with the blob is the opposite of organic.

Yeah it looks more like some sort of plastic

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Kenny Logins posted:

Uhh Yeah Dude, explicitly cited as an inspiration for MBMBaM early on. It's good, topical chat, and OK to jump into whenever, generally, as long as you don't hit a live ep IMO. The only real thing to know is that one of the hosts is John Larroquette's son.

Especially agree about the live ep thing for new listeners. UYD has gotten good over the years about gradually retiring bits and callbacks, EXCEPT when it comes to live eps. They know what the fans want to hear, so they break out the old standards (It's the only time you'll hear stuff like Weed/Horse/Mind's Eye and Ask Amy/Jonathan these days.)

When I started listening to MBMBaM I briefly thought "Man, these guys are biting UYD's steeze pretty hard," but they cop to it readily and regularly (See: This week's cold open.)

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 17:28 on May 11, 2017

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Uhh Yeah Dude, a comedy podcast hosted by Seth Romatelli and Johnathan LaRoquette, son of the famous actor of the same name. It's one of the McElroys' biggest influences, but honestly I couldn't get into it.

Thanks. But I don't know who John LaRoquette is, so now I gotta Google that.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Colonel Whitey posted:

I fell off listening to CBB much last year when I got into McElroy podcasts. I just can't bring myself to listen anymore because every time I see an interesting looking episode, they're still doing Hey Nongman or something that was already years old when I stopped listening. And they don't even make new jokes with injokes. They just say something to reference something that was funny the first time and think that substitutes having to be funny now. It's not the only problem, but it irks me the most.

Speaking of McElroy influences, I've noticed how influenced Griffin's cadence seems to be by Matt Gourley ever since the TTAZZ where he mentioned Angus came from the ghost boy from Superego. Every time Griffin changes up syllable stresses in sentences, I hear a bit of Gourley in there. Not that that's the worst thing. He incorporates it naturally, and Superego and Matt Gourley are amazing.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

Crocoswine posted:

I don't think they retired part the kimono because it was an old in-joke, but because some people said it was offensive or something along those lines.

edit: they even explicitly mentioned UYD in the latest ep when Travis does his horse name game, because it's something UYD has done a whole bunch.

I feel like part the kimono came up as an example of a gross business phrase they hear a lot and hate, and then they kept using it ironically.

They always seemed to hate hearing it.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Who What Now posted:

Thanks. But I don't know who John LaRoquette is, so now I gotta Google that.

He's the bad guy from Richie Rich.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Coffee And Pie posted:

I will say, 20🐍: Zag On 'Em has been pretty good so far

I'm not saying that the inspiration of Zag On 'Em is THE reason I did this last week, but I definitely thought about it when I booked the appointment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Also I've picked up Griffin's weird way of saying 'yeah.'