Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

the fact that youtube of all things blows broadcast tv out of the water now is crazy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Olivil posted:

wasnt there cheap af "720p" tvs that actually used 1366x768 panels?

i think what you're thinking of is those lovely 42" plasma TVs where the resolution was actually some dogshit like 1024x768

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

is there a modern freeware Windows (or, hell, cross platform) program for very basic video editing (cutting, cropping, etc). Virtualdub was always my go to but it seems to crash constantly on Windows 10

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i think what you're thinking of is those lovely 42" plasma TVs where the resolution was actually some dogshit like 1024x768

nah tons of 720p tvs used 1366x768 panels, because they were available cheap and also let you advertise it as suitable for computer monitor use, while also being large enough to display 1280x720 video

and of course some tvs actually did have 1280x720 panels, but would report themselves as 1366x768 when connected up by vga or hdmi, and you'd just lose the outer edges of the signal from computers and some other digital video devices if you couldn't switch them to put out plain 1280x720

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Linguica posted:

is there a modern freeware Windows (or, hell, cross platform) program for very basic video editing (cutting, cropping, etc). Virtualdub was always my go to but it seems to crash constantly on Windows 10

vlc has you covered
http://www.videolan.org/vlmc/

edit lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UY_UMZJLoOA

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Fraunhofer has terminated their MP3 patent licensing program, so I guess MP3 is now "officially" patent-free.

Linguica posted:

will avidemux suit your needs?

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 03:11 on May 2, 2017

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
virtualdub mod?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Perplx posted:

my tv has uncorrectable overscan, no menu options at all

i did figure out it will display correctly if it has an hdmi signal without sound

so laptop >hdmi cable> TV = overscan with sound
but laptop > displayport to dvi > dvi2hdmi > hdmi cable > TV = no overscan and no sound

because dvi doesn't carry audio

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Linguica posted:

ffmpeg

to crop use the crop filter. this is an actual simple cross platform answer

OldAlias fucked around with this message at 06:11 on May 2, 2017

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Openshot and KDENLive are both cross platform ffmpeg frontends.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
They are also both extremely bad, with KDENLive being a lot less bad. You'd be a lot happier with a creative clod sub or Vegas like a frag video memelord

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

pagancow posted:

and SLAP ANY MOTHERFUCKER who calls anything under four thousand pixels across "4k"

this but anyone who says 2k

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

fishmech posted:

the tvs in question don't actually require overscan, like they do have full 1920x1080 panels. but the default modes have hdmi/dvi input set up so that they get blown up like 10% with horrible non-integer scaling all over the screen and the edges cut off.

the hotel i stayed at over thanksgiving had their tvs set to do this on the digital inputs every time you turned them on. the cheap lcd tv i just got also had it turned on by default but it was an easy change to keep it off.

i have no idea why this feature a) exists b) is the default on any tv that has a full resolution panel.

i have tried to disable this on my tv but there is no setting for it that i can find, i am not a video pro though

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Munkeymon posted:

because dvi doesn't carry audio

it can. hdmi is basically dvi-d and audio is sent during the vblank period. pretty much every video card can send audio via the dvi port if the device at the other end supports it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Share Bear posted:

i have tried to disable this on my tv but there is no setting for it that i can find, i am not a video pro though

Just try changing every setting there is. On my TV it ended up being a change of a setting from "video" to "graphic"

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Share Bear posted:

It only tends to be a setting on the TV itself on "higher end" sets, generally you adjust the overscan on the device generating the output

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

akadajet posted:

Can we agree that broadcasting in 720p instead of 1080p these days is unacceptable?

People on twitch still do 720P!

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Linguica posted:

Just suck it up and get davinici resolve. You wont get any color management until you buy some hardware.

use ffmpeg CLI to convert any dogshit formats you have to real ones that Resolve supports.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
how critical is frame synchronization on the camera side when shooting 2-camera stereoscopic 3D

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
pretty critical, i'd imagine. otherwise, when played back one "eye" will be ahead of the other.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

The_Franz posted:

it can. hdmi is basically dvi-d and audio is sent during the vblank period. pretty much every video card can send audio via the dvi port if the device at the other end supports it.

huh

still I'm not surprised you'd lose that through a converter since they're probably bargain basement poo poo inside

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Munkeymon posted:

huh

still I'm not surprised you'd lose that through a converter since they're probably bargain basement poo poo inside

hdmi<->dvi convertors don't have any active circuits inside. they're just pin adapters.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

atomicthumbs posted:

how critical is frame synchronization on the camera side when shooting 2-camera stereoscopic 3D

you can pull off some clever effects with judicious use of desync, but mostly you'll just headaches.

The effects are less severe the farther away your subject is from the camera rig though

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

*turns 360 degrees and walks far away from fishmech*

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

pagancow posted:

Just suck it up and get davinici resolve. You wont get any color management until you buy some hardware.

use ffmpeg CLI to convert any dogshit formats you have to real ones that Resolve supports.

The free version of DaVinci Resolve is a disgustingly good deal - the real things you get if you pay $300 (used to be $1000, used to be $30,000) are multi-GPU support, >UHD export, noise reduction, and the ability to have multiple people working on the same project simultaneously. Woo.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

it made some sql or other nerdy thing pop up after boot on my mac forever until I found some terminal commands online to kill that process

but otherwise its good for free

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

oh yeah it was postgres, maybe???

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

wait was the davinci resolve thing a real suggestion. i thought it was pagancow pagancowing

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Linguica posted:

wait was the davinci resolve thing a real suggestion. i thought it was pagancow pagancowing

Yeah he is - they've taken what was previously just a color correction app (albeit very good) and tacked on editing. Originally it was about as good as you'd expect it to be, but now it's getting to be surprisingly decent. If you're actually editing for anything real you'll still want to do Avid/Premiere.

I wouldn't say that this is a 'broken clock twice day' situation but pagancow is pretty much this: technically right on average but the getting there is insane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WBzHm2fqHE

Blackmagic's business strategy is apparently 'wait for some pro A/V company to nearly go bankrupt, bail them out, actually finance their product development' and surprisingly this actually works well, because you can still charge comical amounts of money for hardware as opposed to even 'pro' software. lol if you think someone's gonna color correct a TV series with a MacBook Pro and an iPad as a control surface when the budgets currently exist to support post houses that cost 4 and 5 figgies per hour.

Jimmy Carter fucked around with this message at 06:53 on May 11, 2017

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Jimmy Carter posted:

The free version of DaVinci Resolve is a disgustingly good deal - the real things you get if you pay $300 (used to be $1000, used to be $30,000) are multi-GPU support, >UHD export, noise reduction, and the ability to have multiple people working on the same project simultaneously. Woo.

it worth noting that their fusion product has a free version with similar restrictions. a free node-based vfx compositor that's comparable to nuke (which costs thousands) is pretty cool, plus it integrates with resolve

it's pretty sweet that today you can basically get a cross-platform, pro-tier editing suite for free

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

The_Franz posted:

hdmi<->dvi convertors don't have any active circuits inside. they're just pin adapters.

you're stacking a couple of adapters to get there so I just assume weird poo poo will happen for some reason and my best guess was lovely adapters - maybe the manufacturer skipped a resistor somewhere because it Seems to Work

granted this is a holdover assumption from when everything was analog so maybe I should expect better nowadays?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

if you can skip a resistor somewhere you can save a cent and that poo poo adds up!!!

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Bulgakov posted:

oh yeah it was postgres, maybe???

it's not used anymore. they have been migrating away from a mega database for a few years now

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

fishmech posted:

you can pull off some clever effects with judicious use of desync, but mostly you'll just headaches.

The effects are less severe the farther away your subject is from the camera rig though

i'm thinking of putting a pair of cameras at equal altitude on the sides of mountains in the desert to make the desert small

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

atomicthumbs posted:

i'm thinking of putting a pair of cameras at equal altitude on the sides of mountains in the desert to make the desert small

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

atomicthumbs posted:

NASA shot 3D footage of the shuttle like this.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

gota light the scene to keep your iso at native.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

atomicthumbs posted:

shouldn't be too bad then

obviously better if you can rig up a remote activation system, or just a partner who you can radio over to switch them on at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

god tier dadding

• Locked thread