Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Endorph posted:

wait holy gently caress futaba wouldnt have even been born when that happened

its us, we're the lovely adults

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Endorph posted:

wait holy gently caress futaba wouldnt have even been born when that happened

what a convenient alibi

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.
Floral Pants Man resides in us all

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Endorph posted:

that literally never happens. he mentions his circumstances sometimes but he never once even suggests anyone else pay for him. are you some kind of rich guy who's never had a buddy go 'nah i cant im broke' or what.
On further reflection I guess all the big food/party scenes are paid for by Treasure or other sources so w/e

Still doesn't change my main criticism of him though, which is that there's never any sense that the rest of the gang actually likes him. Like they let him into the group because he's a Phantom Thief and they tolerate his presence, but his relevance to the main plot disappears after Madarame and for the rest of the game he's just kind of there. He's just this weird aloof guy that the rest of the gang occasionally dunks on when he speaks because all he ever says is weird aloof poo poo. Everyone else seems like they could at least be friends outside of Phantom Thievery, but I'm not seeing it for him.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.

Scorps posted:

Floral Pants Man resides in us all

Floral Pants Man: The new Funky Student

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

On further reflection I guess all the big food/party scenes are paid for by Treasure or other sources so w/e

Still doesn't change my main criticism of him though, which is that there's never any sense that the rest of the gang actually likes him.

if you truly believe this you are straight up delusional

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Still doesn't change my main criticism of him though, which is that there's never any sense that the rest of the gang actually likes him. Like they let him into the group because he's a Phantom Thief and they tolerate his presence, but his relevance to the main plot disappears after Madarame and for the rest of the game he's just kind of there. He's just this weird aloof guy that the rest of the gang occasionally dunks on when he speaks because all he ever says is weird aloof poo poo. Everyone else seems like they could at least be friends outside of Phantom Thievery, but I'm not seeing it for him.

The weirdest psychosis

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

uh, ryuji is buddies with him in like half the mementos conversation and he and futaba seem really fond of each other.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Everyone likes Yusuke because he's too spacy to hold any rancor towards anyone around him while simultaneously being the most empathetic member of the entire gang.

Like when everyone else is rushing headlong towards the Okumura trap he's the only one going "we really need to consider the implications of what we're doing and why we're doing it."

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Yusuke is an emotional core of the team, and bounces well off Futaba. Additionally, his art is what cements the hat/mask as the logo of the thieves. You could just as well say "what role does Ann / Ryuji play in the team?" Joker, Morgana, Makoto are the movers and shakers. They're there because it would be boring to have three characters on the team when two of them have a specific skill set.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Yusuke's SL is one of the few I completed on my 1st PT and explores his feelings towards art but at the same time realizing how money is an important factor despite how disappointed he was in his teacher's palace. His paintings are pretty cool and so is his skill.

However, it was wrong of him to try to blackmail Ann to pose even for art and Yusuke learns from this event and doesn't creep on her later on. I did try to convince him to use Joker as an artist's model but he declined :sigh:

Yusuke should've been my cooler roommate...

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
If Yusuke living with you had lasted throughout the whole game, it would've sincerely been a better game

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

TheLoser posted:

He would just waste it all on hookers and blow art supplies two lobsters (but only so he can paint a picture of them, not eat them)

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence

Moltrey posted:

If Yusuke living with you had lasted throughout the whole game, it would've sincerely been a better game

I would've been pretty annoyed having him around whenever I called my prostitute maid teacher over.

Seems he'd be cramping my style is all.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
It really feels like Yusuke was meant to be romance-able at some point and Atlus chickened out. Hell, he has more "date" spots and more room decorations than most of the actual romance options. Why can't I date best boy...

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
He'd save up money to buy his own maid outfit.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Alder posted:

Yusuke's SL is one of the few I completed on my 1st PT and explores his feelings towards art but at the same time realizing how money is an important factor despite how disappointed he was in his teacher's palace. His paintings are pretty cool and so is his skill.

However, it was wrong of him to try to blackmail Ann to pose even for art and Yusuke learns from this event and doesn't creep on her later on. I did try to convince him to use Joker as an artist's model but he declined :sigh:

Yusuke should've been my cooler roommate...

Wasn't he all for you getting naked in the church? I recall a priest having to run up and stop you making him go "Ah right... maybe not the best idea then."

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Utgardaloki posted:

I would've been pretty annoyed having him around whenever I called my prostitute maid teacher over.

my dude, he's an artist

you're cramping his style

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Firebert posted:

It really feels like Yusuke was meant to be romance-able at some point and Atlus chickened out. Hell, he has more "date" spots and more room decorations than most of the actual romance options. Why can't I date best boy...

Apparently there was romance dialogue with him up to the point of having English VA recorded, but Atlus dummied it out.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I thought that was Yosuke? I mean it could be both, but I haven't heard of anyone finding anything of the sort for Yusuke.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
If you weren't sold on Yusuke the moment he gives that bitchin' smile at the end of his awakening cutscene, then you aren't worth saving.

Namnesor fucked around with this message at 20:02 on May 11, 2017

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Instant Grat posted:

Morgana gets Mercury because Hermes (his Greek counterpart) had the ability as the Divine Messenger to effortlessly flit between the realm of the Gods and the realm of humans - similarly to how Morgana can move between the Metaverse and the real world without the MetaNav.

Hermes was also the god of thieves. :eng101:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ChaosArgate posted:

I thought that was Yosuke?

eugh

MyLoathsomeCowboy
May 6, 2007
A fictitious force
When someone floated the idea of Yusuke moving into LeBlanc I actually said "pleeeaase" out loud.

Yusuke is Nozaki if Nozaki were the slender bishounen he wishes he was

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yusuke was good and cool, outside of his early Ann obsession.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Coffee pentagram holy poo poo

Edit: Of course Yusuke would be in on that

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
the always sunny one works better with goro saying wild card

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
More like Mild Card

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Sojiro isn't falling for "I can't find my phone"

He's more of a "they've got them in Juvie you little gently caress" dude

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

tentawesome posted:

You should really be able to share some of your dungeon loot with Yusuke because he's the one who actually needs money

Yusuke doesnt need money, hes just a moron that wont stop buying canvas and lobsters he doesnt need (and I wouldnt have it any other way)

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
yusuke needs lobsters badly

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Utgardaloki posted:

Yusuke is worth it and I don't think he'd care really since he lived with his artist teacher weirdo since a kid. I do feel bad for him having to sleep on the couch though. I like to think he ended up graduating HS and getting into art college and working p/t at LeBlanc after Akira goes home.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

This is canon now

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Yusuke definitely moves into Leblanc after Joker heads home. That's canon.

One small thing about Yusuke that I really like is how much he ends up respecting Sojiro. Like, there's that part where he confides in him about his feelings about Madarame, which comes up in his confidant a bit, but even after that he consistently thinks really highly of him whenever he's brought up. And anyone who respects Sojiro is an incredibly good and cool dude imo.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Yusuke definitely moves into Leblanc after Joker heads home. That's canon.

One small thing about Yusuke that I really like is how much he ends up respecting Sojiro. Like, there's that part where he confides in him about his feelings about Madarame, which comes up in his confidant a bit, but even after that he consistently thinks really highly of him whenever he's brought up. And anyone who respects Sojiro is an incredibly good and cool dude imo.

I like that everyone basically respects Sojiro a whole lot once they meet him, especially after they get over the "oh no is he abusing his daughter?" thing. Yusuke definitely looks up to him a lot. Haru wants to learn about coffee from him. Everyone calls him Boss and wants him to think highly of them (especially poor Morgana, whose attempts to be nice to Sojiro are undermined by Futaba at the end :smith:).

Sojiro's my favorite character, probably.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Harrow posted:

I like that everyone basically respects Sojiro a whole lot once they meet him, especially after they get over the "oh no is he abusing his daughter?" thing. Yusuke definitely looks up to him a lot. Haru wants to learn about coffee from him. Everyone calls him Boss and wants him to think highly of them (especially poor Morgana, whose attempts to be nice to Sojiro are undermined by Futaba at the end :smith:).

Sojiro's my favorite character, probably.

Sojiro loves the team and the team loves Sojiro and it's very good.

He's my fav character too.

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.
Persona 5 memes are the best, the Sunny ones are my absolute favorites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Sojiro definitely gets the award for most improved character over the course of the video game.

All of his reveals and motivation stuff is really well done. The whole moment when you learn about Futaba and it re-contextualizes the entire front half of the game is genius.

• Locked thread