Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

it would be one thing if there was some doubt about the nature of the new synths, like how they were made? maybe they're just kidnapped wastelanders? NOPE. instead the main story forces you to take a tour where you literally witness a synth production line. There is no loving ambiguity here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Rutibex posted:

is ther a mod that makes the story not suck

no i downloaded an alternate start mod specifically so that i could not touch the story with a 10 foot pole.

then i console commanded my way into kellogg's bunker so i could have the bos in my game and i haven't done anything remotely resembling a quest since. just a lot of dungeon crawling.

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
on a similar note with retarded fallout storyline poo poo, what the hell is up with people getting the enclave so totally wrong?

i always see people going on about how "oh it's the survivors of the american government, here to make it great again!"

like it was a pretty loving huge plot point and twist in fallout 2 that the enclave were the illuminati, but for some idiots apparently stopped listening between "remnants" and "of the shadow government of the united states". and like if they aren't confusing them for some stupid direct lineage from the presidential bloodline or what the gently caress ever, they jump immediately to "the enclave are nazis" which is just as far from the truth. they weren't a loving government, they were a secret society hell bent on a pogrom to enforce their new world order.

why are so many fallout fans so stupid?

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

SpaceClown posted:

I've modified it in a lot of meaningful yet arbitrary ways and it's become one of the best games I've ever played.

A short list of what I've done:

1.) Got a regrowth mod that adds actual vegetation everywhere. Just makes the map more interesting and feels better.

2.) Got a spawn mod that massively increases the amount of patrols and vertibirds that spawn

3.) Got a leveled list mod that redistributes power armor across the factions. BoS deploys T-45 with knights, T-51 with paladins and T-60 with star paladins (when they are deployed with power armor, of course). Gunner colonels are often found in suits of X-01.

4.) Got a raider overhaul mod that adds a ton of content to raiders. Also a lot more raider power armor is deployed.

5.) Multiple weapon and armor mods, specifically centered around adding as much content as possible to the game. I still don't know half the poo poo in these weapon and armor packs and I'm 10 hours into a savegame.

6.) Power Armor mod that makes the wearer invulnerable so long as it's armored. It's imperfect and there are a lot of tweaks I want to do with it, but I just haven't had the time to really mess with it in the creation kit. As it stands though, it makes power armored enemies an extremely serious threat, as they can soak up thousands of rounds of small arms fire before you even put a dent in their armor. In Fallout canon, a single soldier in power armor was capable of liberating an entire town single handedly and this really manifests with this mod. When heavy support rolls onto the scene, it's time for a real change in tactics.

7.) Hardcore damage mod. Everything is lethal, even moreso than on Survival. This is a two way street, no more bullet sponge soft targets. Again, imperfect. Ideally I would like to make Deathclaws, Mirelurk Queens and Sentry bots just as unkillable as power armored soldiers, but again I just haven't had the time to mess with it in the creation kit.

8.) Damage threshold mod, readds the very much loved mechanic of damage thresholds to some armors so that you need more than a pipe rifle to kill a gunner sergeant clad in ballistic armor.

9.) Vertibird enhancement mod that makes them extremely resilient (almost impossible to bring down with small arms) and also gives them a lot of firepower. The sound of vertibirds in the air is an indicator to run for cover before it spots you and lights you up.

That's about the extent of it. Almost everything else is minor cosmetic stuff (like weather mods that make weather that much better) or requirements for other mods.

It's fun to kill an hour or so every so often to play in the sandbox of post apocalyptic hell. I completely ignore quests and just enjoy the gunplay, which is actually really nice once you get rid of the loving terrible bullet sponges. Yes I realize I made power armored units are even bigger bullet sponges than anything in the base game, but it's nice. They feel like bosses and if you don't have power armor with you when you run into some heavy metal ground pounders it's a pretty frantic fight of hit and run tactics to try and destroy some bit of their armor so you can actually hurt them. Or the BoS/Gunners come in and ruin the party with CAS vertibirds laying down a poo poo ton of fire support which blows right through power armor.

You convinced me to spend some time this weekend modding it.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I have also modded fallout 4 in a similar fashion but I still tihnk its a disgrace it needs all these mods to be fun whatsoever

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Rutibex posted:

is ther a mod that makes the story not suck

There is a mod that ignores the beginning and turns you into a random wanderer who stumbles across the institute kidnapping plot and goes from there.

Dale-Taco
Feb 19, 2009

Dying Light is the best zombie game. drop-in co-op + grapple hooks = fun as all hell.

A dumb game with co-op is better that a serious AAA single player game. Ex. Serious Sam 3: BFE

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Alright, got a couple more harsh truths to drop.

Wonderful 101 is mediocre and way overrated by people who were either starved for Wii U titles or generally like to slobber all over Platinum's cock.

Sonic Adventure 1 is way better and had way more heart than Sonic Adventure 2, which was linear, boring, and began the tryhard edgelord poo poo that would taint most future Sonic titles.

Also Mario Galaxy 1 is superior to Mario Galaxy 2, which mostly feels like a collection of the first game's leftovers mixed in with Yoshi gimmick levels.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i don't get the hype for stardew valley, it seems like a by-the-numbers ripoff of harvest moon

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

get that OUT of my face posted:

i don't get the hype for stardew valley, it seems like a by-the-numbers ripoff of harvest moon

consider this: there is no harvest moon available on PC and not everyone wants to play roms or find hard copies of the old games

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

exactly

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

basic hitler posted:

consider this: there is no harvest moon available on PC and not everyone wants to play roms or find hard copies of the old games
makes sense. also you can't make mods like this for harvest moon

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Life imitates art.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Edit: i pasted this comic from pyf on a gamble, not clicking the link but sure that any mod for harvest moon was gonna be related to the comic

dk2m
May 6, 2009
half life 2 is just an ok game, even at the time. episode 1 and 2 are way better.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

nier automata is a chore

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SpaceClown posted:

I'm curious as to on what technical level you conclude this at?

Don't get me wrong, I think the hatred for it was massively overstated and you can tell that most of it was rage at the game not living up to some stupid idealization (very obvious once you see how it's all thinly veiled by a focus on a single feature that literally nobody was talking about pre-release), but it hasn't pushed procedural technology any futher, and it doesn't truthfully do anything impressive with already established technology.

The hatred was because there was no loving game. All the ships the same. All the enemies unevolving. All the NPCs the same. Even the randomization he was talking about sucks.

It was a walking simulator without a plot. Barely there combat, nothing to explore, nothing to customize. The biggest slog I've ever seen.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Rutibex posted:

tank controls are awesome and RE without them is not a real RE game.

I'll cut some slack for 7. 7 was a real fun game.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

basic hitler posted:

you know how fallout 4 has an entire faction that's supposed to be the good guys, who insanely believe that manufactured automatons deserve human rights?

how about that huh.

I bet you don't think Data is alive either. smh.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The Dennis System posted:

I bet you don't think Data is alive either. smh.

not a question of being alive or a simulacrum of life but whether or not a fully synthesized being deserves full rights and no not really. the institute made synths to supplement their very lacking nerd labor force and data exists to make us question what it is to be human.

the institute is also retarded mind you because there was no loving reason aside from a paranoid desire to spy on the wasteland to make fleshy ghola synths. keeping them as robots would've been the smart thing to do.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

tyrell corp was justified

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

it has better controls than Harvest Moon

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

dk2m posted:

half life 2 is just an ok game, even at the time. episode 1 and 2 are way better.

Episode 1 is pure distilled action from base HL2. The hospital shootout is amazing and the zombie subway station is like a shorter version of Ravenholm. Plus it doesn't feature those awful turret sections that broke up Nova Prospekt.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The 3D Fallout games are uniformly bland and boring. As far as sandboxes go, there is like nothing to do and everything is just garbage recycled assets.

The games themselves are just a handful of poorly designed and clunky mechanics held together with string.

It's embarrassing that a game that contains mutants and power armor and lasers and toxic bear-wolves conveys all of this to you so poorly and that so much of it hinges on a storyline that literally, actually, no one gives a gently caress about.

I played FO 3, and the only good quest is when you get stuck in the AI's Leave it to Beaver/Pleasantville world, and skimming any YouTube video tells me that NV is just the same lovely game but maybe good writing and FO4 is just actually as bad. Why these games are getting prestige while Prey is getting picked over is staggering to me lol

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Bust Rodd posted:

The 3D Fallout games are uniformly bland and boring. As far as sandboxes go, there is like nothing to do and everything is just garbage recycled assets.

The games themselves are just a handful of poorly designed and clunky mechanics held together with string.

It's embarrassing that a game that contains mutants and power armor and lasers and toxic bear-wolves conveys all of this to you so poorly and that so much of it hinges on a storyline that literally, actually, no one gives a gently caress about.

I played FO 3, and the only good quest is when you get stuck in the AI's Leave it to Beaver/Pleasantville world, and skimming any YouTube video tells me that NV is just the same lovely game but maybe good writing and FO4 is just actually as bad. Why these games are getting prestige while Prey is getting picked over is staggering to me lol

lol you never played New Vegas

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Prey sucks.

Fallout 1 and 2 recycled assets just as often and Fallout 2 is easily just as poorly written as 3

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Maya Fey posted:

nier automata is a chore

Can confirm

SpaceClown posted:

Prey sucks.

:shittypop:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bust Rodd posted:

new vegas is good you dummy, and not just for the story. you are right about all the rest of it

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

SpaceClown posted:

Prey sucks.

Fallout 1 and 2 recycled assets just as often and Fallout 2 is easily just as poorly written as 3

This is fuckin' truth.

Fallout 2 was injokey and pretty bloated with references and bad writing.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Fallout 2 gets more of a pass than 3 because it at least was coming up with new ideas in a "throw everything at the wall and see what sticks" method of creation, while fallout 3 just regurgitates fallout 2 elements but does them poorly.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
It's really telling that, even back in the day, people would be like "Fallout 2 is really fun if you go to this end-game place and steal some overpowered weapon as soon as you leave the village" and it's like hmm yeah this game's only fun if you sequence break the poo poo out of it, skip 75% of the content and go straight to the part where you see an animated .gif of a raider exploding over and over. Play it properly and it's 5 hours of kung fu fighting against ants and scorpions in a brown temple, followed by about a decade of slowly hitting geckos with a crowbar in featureless wastes, and then if memory serves there's a marathon rat smashing session in the world's most boring tunnels. Thrilling poo poo my droogs!

All the Fallouts stunk. All the Baldur's Gate games stunk. Planescape: Torment stunk the most.

Overwatch is a good game.

Also bacontotem's "i hanjo" stuff in the Overwatch threads was barely funny at first and is now just tiresome. Kinda smells of some dude getting mad cause he sucks and making a fairly blatant stab at becoming a zAnY InTeRnEt PeRsOnAlItY.

Payday 2 is an awful piece of poo poo game. Most Humans vs. AI style stuff tends to be godawful skinner box nonsense, but Payday 2 takes it to the next level. Run the same mission 30,000 times to unlock a slightly different sprocket for your gun for the next time you run it, woo.

I generally think videogame stories are a bunch of horseshit to skip past but I really think Hotline Miami and Hotline Miami 2 have achieved the perfect mix of storytelling and gameplay. I can sperg out on that poo poo, yo. Undertale, by contrast, is just cringe inducing.

I really like bridge building games and it saddens me that most of them suck.

Disgusting Coward fucked around with this message at 19:01 on May 11, 2017

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Disgusting Coward posted:

Planescape: Torment stunk the most.
Power word: Kill poster

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

You owe it to yourself to play new vegas. Yeah it reuses assets but so did Fallout 2 and it managed to surpass its predecessor. The tangible value of new assets on gameplay is pretty limited, fallout 4 demonstrates that well.

New vegas isn't just better written, the game is balanced better. Energy is viable from the start, you can be a punchman or melee man and it's a viable build not just a stupid loving hamstrung gimmick to play for laughs. F3 is basically impossible to play without using vats, and new vegas has iron sighting and more often than not it's better to just play it like a straight up shooter. The world makes sense. The capital wasteland and boston are a bunch of nonsense dropped on top of a crumbling city map, new vegas takes some effort to make the wasteland feel alive, as much as the engine would permit in 2010 anyway. The retarded Karma system is still in-game, but functionally totally useless, and is more or less replaced by a robust faction system that actually does meaningful things to your gameplay experience.

I won't keep sucking NV's dick because i doubt I can sell you on trying it really, but if you see it on sale for cheap on steam, you should pick it up. The main story is excellent and the worst piece of DLC is still okay, and the best of it is really good.

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Fallout 4 has the best gameplay of any of the games.

It's the stupid shoehorned RPG elements in what should have been a hardcore straightforward dungeon crawler that are bad.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I like the gunplay in fallout 4, but i actually pretty much hate everything else about the game.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

basic hitler posted:

and the worst piece of DLC is still okay

With ya right up til here. Ulysses squawking in my ear "the Divide, the Divide, the Divide" made me sad that you can only kill him once.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
open-world games get boring too fast and I have trouble remembering one that I've actually finished

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

a bone to pick posted:

open-world games get boring too fast and I have trouble remembering one that I've actually finished

your not supposed to finish open world games. just play it until you are bored

End boss Of SGaG*
Aug 9, 2000
I REPORT EVERY POST I READ!
The Dead Money dlc in New Vegas had an annoying premise. Every character insists that you're :qq: so greedy :qq: for coming to loot this legendary place, even though you just got kidnapped while scavenging an abandoned bunker and the only way your character would even hear about the place is a couple crappy posters scattered around the world. Then they "force" you to give up on a bunch of wealth in the form of gold bars, but if you did the right thing earlier you get unlimited free poo poo after the DLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Yeah. Dean? Greed. Dog/God? Gluttony/greed. Christine? Wrath.

And the guy who got excommunicated from the BoS for being too extreme? The guy who derided you all the time as "just like the others" and only in it for the loot? Yeah, greed.

It was a good one with a good premise but holy poo poo there were some plot holes you could drive a truck through and sometimes the sequences didn't match up.