Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Bad Munki posted:

Whoa now, nobody said lawyers are people.

Law students count as 20% though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

spacetoaster posted:

Do you accept guns as payment?

One of the worst things about being a PD. You can't take pay or barter and your clients don't have anything left anyway.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Guys is this pretty accurate at how lawyers interact with clients?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpcEietIoxk

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Vargatron posted:

Fairly accurate. Also in terms of client stupidity.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Vargatron posted:

Nah, it's more like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFf5NPfj4Wk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXKqbB8bJIM

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
Boston, MA apartment question: Is it technically under the law for landlords to put utility bills in their name? I remember being told this, but could not find it in on the mass.gov landlord rights site.

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013
I'm not familiar with MA specifically, but it is very common practice. Why would it be a problem?

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Unload My Head posted:

I'm not familiar with MA specifically, but it is very common practice. Why would it be a problem?

Someone just asked me and I thought I heard it was. I've had really awful problems in the past though with bills in my name that my roommates wouldn't pay me or would keep paying late. Having the bills in the landlords name would ensure none of the tenants would get screwed.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

Someone just asked me and I thought I heard it was. I've had really awful problems in the past though with bills in my name that my roommates wouldn't pay me or would keep paying late. Having the bills in the landlords name would ensure none of the tenants would get screwed.

I mean... Assuming the landlord paid them on time, maybe. But I've had way more experience with poo poo landlords than poo poo roommates.

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013

Thanatosian posted:

I mean... Assuming the landlord paid them on time, maybe. But I've had way more experience with poo poo landlords than poo poo roommates.

Considering it's a crime for the landord to allow the utilities to be shut off...

Seriously though, many apartments around here are rented with water/sewer/dumpster included in the price. This is almost always because the building plumbing isn't broken out and so billing tenants individually is impossible.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Fiddly question about 501c3 law - if a member of a nonprofit who is on the board of directors also Does Stuff on the organization's behalf, but isn't paid a stipend because this particular 501c3 has zero paid employees, is the irs going to consider that a conflict of interest (since it really just wants boards doing oversight and not execution, paid employees are specifically named as ineligible for board membership, unpaid members are not specified as ok)

We're already pinging a lawyer, I'm mostly just curious what y'all think.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

PopeCrunch posted:

Fiddly question about 501c3 law - if a member of a nonprofit who is on the board of directors also Does Stuff on the organization's behalf, but isn't paid a stipend because this particular 501c3 has zero paid employees, is the irs going to consider that a conflict of interest (since it really just wants boards doing oversight and not execution, paid employees are specifically named as ineligible for board membership, unpaid members are not specified as ok)

We're already pinging a lawyer, I'm mostly just curious what y'all think.

I'm confused. You are on the board, you are doing work on behalf of the non-profit, and you are receiving no compensation for either the work or the board seat? Why would the IRS see a problem?

If you mean you are receiving compensation for the work but not the board seat, then sure things get trickier. I don't know about the IRS but that kind of situation should be carefully vetted and approved by non-interested board members. (Really, just ask your lawyer about all this stuff. Tax things are super weird, and conflicts between board members and entities also get complex unless you are very careful to follow both your articles & bylaws and applicable laws.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Was googling contact information for a lawyer, and apparently he's a member of AV Preeminent, whatever that is, which autogenerates YouTube videos stating that "THIS LAWYER has been recommended by his peers for excellence in THEIR FIELD OF EXPERTISE. We are very proud of THIS LAYWER for joining the AV Preeminent family".

What courses should I take to become an expert in NULL?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Also, this might be my favorite Law Firm banner yet

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

"Watching your settlement go off into the horizon".

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

What courses should I take to become an expert in NULL?

I'm actually qualified to certify you as an expert in NULL for a very low fee! Inquire within for details. I accept cash or Western Union.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

They almost matched the dude to the background. almost.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
They needed to turn down the tolerance on the magic wand tool a few points to get his head right.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Googling a bit tells me that an enforceable agreement is called a contract, and basically any agreement written by a lawyer is probably a contract.

But google translate (which is less horrible than you might think, when translating legalese) insists on translating every single instance (from the original Hebrew into English) as "agreement". Does it know something I don't? Any instances where a legally binding written proposal would be referred to as an agreement?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Xander77 posted:

Googling a bit tells me that an enforceable agreement is called a contract, and basically any agreement written by a lawyer is probably a contract.

But google translate (which is less horrible than you might think, when translating legalese) insists on translating every single instance (from the original Hebrew into English) as "agreement". Does it know something I don't? Any instances where a legally binding written proposal would be referred to as an agreement?

The terminology is not particularly relevant.

You have a lawsuit if you can go to Court and sue to enforce a series of reciprocal obligations. That's a legal "contract", and technically an "agreement." Call it what you want, but in American an "agreement" doesn't have the same connotation as a "contract."

We can be in agreement that the sky is blue, but you can't sue me for it. We can have a contract wherein you "agree" to mow my lawn and I "agree" to pay you $25.00. If I pay you and you don't mow the lawn, I can sue you.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

blarzgh posted:

The terminology is not particularly relevant.

You have a lawsuit if you can go to Court and sue to enforce a series of reciprocal obligations. That's a legal "contract", and technically an "agreement." Call it what you want, but in American an "agreement" doesn't have the same connotation as a "contract."

We can be in agreement that the sky is blue, but you can't sue me for it. We can have a contract wherein you "agree" to mow my lawn and I "agree" to pay you $25.00. If I pay you and you don't mow the lawn, I can sue you.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
What are the odds I can cold call a huge-rear end lawfirm that handled closings for some small bank that sold a foreclosed apt. back in 2009 and ask for a copy of a HUD a client lost?

Yes, I've tried the realtor and the title co.

God, I hate clients.

Bad Titty Puker
Nov 3, 2007
Soiled Meat
I got a small check as part of a class action lawsuit against PayPal. The check expired in November 2016. My wallet was stolen, cash was removed, and much later (obviously) I recovered my stolen wallet. Is it worth trying to get a replacement check cut, or is it one of those too late deals?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Please tell me this guy practices Rail Law.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I was watching "Lockup" last night and they said that almost everybody who goes to prison goes to jail first. They said it three times during the episode and all three times they said "almost". What kind of scenario would result in a person going to prison without having to go to jail first?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

FrozenVent posted:

Please tell me this guy practices Rail Law.

Hopefully criminal law because I'm about to call the fashion police over that tie. How wrong can you be

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

SkunkDuster posted:

I was watching "Lockup" last night and they said that almost everybody who goes to prison goes to jail first. They said it three times during the episode and all three times they said "almost". What kind of scenario would result in a person going to prison without having to go to jail first?

It's not a prerequisite, after all. I imagine a lot of white collar, tax evasion stuff they don't see any reason to hold someone before trial. I mean, unless there's flight risk, which there usually is. Honestly, I suppose it varies. I can think of a lot of cases where the police don't hold before trial, but then I'm in a non-US jurisdiction.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

SkunkDuster posted:

Post bail

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

SkunkDuster posted:

If by "goes to jail" you mean actually spends time incarcerated, then like others are saying someone could avoid that if, say, they turn themselves in after being indicted and immediately post security or are released on their own recognizance. They would be processed, photographed/printed, and released with a court date. That could happen at the jail facility or police station, or other government building, but the person wouldn't get the "squat and cough" treatment and wouldn't be held in a cell.

I guess it could also mean that almost everybody who ends up in prison has some prior brushes with the law that land them in jail.

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 21:03 on May 23, 2017

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Where do they hold federal prisoners before trial?

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

BgRdMchne posted:

Marshals have a holding facility in the courthouse, at least here.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

BgRdMchne posted:

They tend to contract with county jails

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

BgRdMchne posted:

Here's an example.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropolitan_Correctional_Center,_San_Diego

That red building on the right side of the picture is the federal courthouse.

There is also a tank under the courthouse where they keep people before bail/arraignment.

All federal courthouses have holding tanks for prisoners. Many courthouses are adjacent to jails/CCs with bridges or tunnels between the two, so that there is no transportation issue with prisoners.

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 21:04 on May 23, 2017

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming
My apartment is getting shown regularly and the landlord has not been giving us notice. And they called today to complain that it's not picked up when they show it...

Could I get in trouble if I was nude every time they come by? I walk around the place nude a lot anyway, and I don't see how they could force me to put clothes on in my own home.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

goodness posted:

My apartment is getting shown regularly and the landlord has not been giving us notice. And they called today to complain that it's not picked up when they show it...

Could I get in trouble if I was nude every time they come by? I walk around the place nude a lot anyway, and I don't see how they could force me to put clothes on in my own home.

Your lease probably has a paragraph about reasonable notice, that they'll probably ignore. Read the lease.

In general, escalating hostilities between you and your landlord will make your life worse, not better.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

But it will make the thread funnier. Do it.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

It's probably a safe assumption that if OP's apartment is getting shown to prospective tenants, that OP's landlord will not be his landlord for long, though, yeah?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

goodness posted:

Build a room in the back of the apartment and offer to sublet to the prospective viewer.

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013

goodness posted:

Some states actually legally prohibit the tenant from doing anything that would prevent the landlord from showing the unit once notice has been given of the showing.

The more important question is why you are fighting this? Do you want to force them to eat a month of rent out of spite or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Unload My Head posted:

Some states actually legally prohibit the tenant from doing anything that would prevent the landlord from showing the unit once notice has been given of the showing.

The more important question is why you are fighting this? Do you want to force them to eat a month of rent out of spite or something?

I suspect it has to do with the randoms walking into his home without any notice.