Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Use them to build resume, get certs, and go work somewhere that will pay.

I did. I'm a windows admin now :D

:negative:

In the same vein: Decree came down from upon high that
We are moving to office 2013 from office 2010 (good I suppose)
We will not push the Skype for Business 2016 client except to select people and IT (for really no good reason)
We will use Lync 2013 client instead.

Okay... whatever. I'm about to deploy the client when suddenly another decree:
We are going to use the Skype for Business 2015 client, not the Lync 2013 because "it comes on Windows 10"
Really, it comes as a KB update for office 2013... but potato - tomato I suppose. Also, we're on Windows 7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

crayon85 posted:

For me, wearing at least smart trousers and a shirt lets me put on work clothes and more importantly take them off at the end of the day. I don't go full on suit but I do have work and non-work clothes, and it helps to be able to act according to what I'm wearing especially when working from home, a privilege I enjoy from time to time.

I get that, but the only slacks I have found that fit nearly as well as my 501s are like $80-100, and gently caress getting a rotation of those.

Work from home dress code is pajama pants, slippers, and a sweater.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I did. I'm a windows admin now :D

:negative:

In the same vein: Decree came down from upon high that
We are moving to office 2013 from office 2010 (good I suppose)
We will not push the Skype for Business 2016 client except to select people and IT (for really no good reason)
We will use Lync 2013 client instead.

Okay... whatever. I'm about to deploy the client when suddenly another decree:
We are going to use the Skype for Business 2015 client, not the Lync 2013 because "it comes on Windows 10"
Really, it comes as a KB update for office 2013... but potato - tomato I suppose. Also, we're on Windows 7.

I think you might have gotten a secret decree that you're upgrading to 10.

Rassle
Dec 4, 2011

Linux is free. I am not.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Linux is free if your time is worth nothing.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Fil5000 posted:

Do they actually fit? Because the last two places I've worked have provided front desk and security staff with suits and they always either look like they've borrowed their dad's suit or they ARE the dad and they've borrowed their teenage kid's grammar school uniform. Also they're usually the sort of horrendous polyester suit that costs about thirty quid at Asda.

Man yeah that always looks so dumb.

Any company that's going to require everyone to have suits or other formal dress should really be required to provide free tailoring services so that everyone's clothes don't look awful. A lousy fitting suit easily looks so much less "professional" or "trustworthy" or whatever the company was trying to go for than some generic dress shirts and slacks. Sometimes it even looks worse than people just wearing whatever jeans and stained t-shirts they had lying around.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

And on that note, company branded dress shirts that are some loose fitting polyester abomination look a million times worse than a nice polo shirt.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The problem is that 90% of the American directors/VPs/executives in suits look like poo poo because they don't know how they should fit, so they don't see a problem.

The people from Asia and the UK are on point most of the time.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Thanks Ants posted:

And on that note, company branded dress shirts that are some loose fitting polyester abomination look a million times worse than a nice polo shirt.

The kind with the sweat flaps and the fat guy panels? I dislike those as well, just use polos, they'll always work out.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You see it in seemingly every tech video from trade shows, some poorly fitted shiny short-sleeved shirt, and it looks ridiculous. Also I imagine that due to their low cotton content they are really uncomfortable.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I've been in important meetings with the CIO while wearing jeans, an IT Crowd t-shirt, and "local sports team" baseball cap.

Different strokes, I guess.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I had a short meeting with our CEO and a board member last week while I was wearing jeans and a hoody.

The CEO was wearing jeans with a dress shirt and a sport coat, the board member was wearing carharts and kuspuk.

Different strokes indeed.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

The Fool posted:

I had a short meeting with our CEO and a board member last week while I was wearing jeans and a hoody.

The CEO was wearing jeans with a dress shirt and a sport coat, the board member was wearing carharts and kuspuk.

Different strokes indeed.

The most 'hr hip' large to large-ish companies do "Dress for your Day" which is the best relaxation of the corporate dress code I've seen so far.

This is also somewhat tangential, and I have not a shred of proof for it, but I have this feeling that I can't shake that HR reps just browse Linkedin and Facebook most of the day. How else does it take forever for the simplest of requests?

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Fil5000 posted:

Do they actually fit? Because the last two places I've worked have provided front desk and security staff with suits and they always either look like they've borrowed their dad's suit or they ARE the dad and they've borrowed their teenage kid's grammar school uniform. Also they're usually the sort of horrendous polyester suit that costs about thirty quid at Asda.

Yeah they actually get sent for a fitting once a year, so they fit for a month or so at the very least. It's a proper suit, as in jacket tie black shoes etc. No monogramming or anything like that! It comes out of a client relationship budget, and clients are our everything.

Phrosphor fucked around with this message at 02:41 on May 10, 2017

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Pacra posted:

The most 'hr hip' large to large-ish companies do "Dress for your Day" which is the best relaxation of the corporate dress code I've seen so far.

This is also somewhat tangential, and I have not a shred of proof for it, but I have this feeling that I can't shake that HR reps just browse Linkedin and Facebook most of the day. How else does it take forever for the simplest of requests?

That's always the policy with the work from home crowd. Have a meeting that needs to use webcam? Better put a shirt on, I guess. No meeting? No shirt. Always no pants.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Always no pants.

So much this.

The missus come into my home office / mainland every now and then and is shocked to see me in my boxers at my desk.

"You were wearing pants when you walked in here. There they are folded up on the floor!"

Yes. But I take them off for all those who cannot.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Agrikk posted:

So much this.

The missus come into my home office / mainland every now and then and is shocked to see me in my boxers at my desk.

"You were wearing pants when you walked in here. There they are folded up on the floor!"

Yes. But I take them off for all those who cannot.

It's good enough for news anchors, it's good enough for IT professionals :colbert:.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

duz posted:

We don't have a dress code beyond not wearing shorts in winter but our mothership has an office casual dress code that used to include no jeans. Then when they bought us up, the execs had to keep visiting us and would take the chance to work in jeans. Now the mothership's dress code allows jeans.

Our office is about 80% jeans, slacks as positions (or customer on-sites) demand.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
RE: A ticket came in: I take off my pants for those who cannot.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

quote:

"My Candy Crush Levels are not showing on my new phone. Fix this immediately"

Verbatim

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Forwarded to HR/Supervisor for inappropriate use of time during work.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Forwarded to HR/Supervisor for inappropriate use of time during work.

lol if you think that ticket isn't coming from a C-level

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Mr. Fix It posted:

lol if you think that ticket isn't coming from a C-level

Bingo!

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Thanks thread, because of the cryptotalk here I installed the Anti-Ransomware File System Resource Manager Lists on our file server and adjusted the GPO to disable Windows Scripting Host. Hopefully now a ticket won't come in!

Any other measures I can take (apart from user education)?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

sixth and maimed posted:

Any other measures I can take (apart from user education)?

That's basically like trying to train emu to remember complex tasks. Same caveats apply; you will require a reward and training must occur daily

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Good times:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/keylogger-found-in-audio-driver-of-hp-laptops/

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

What possible legitimate use could there be for this?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

pixaal posted:

What possible legitimate use could there be for this?

The intention of the application is to watch for hotkeys. Passing all keystrokes to a log file/public API was probably done for debugging then never turned off.

I'm running an hp shop, but none of my workstations have conexant audio, thankfully.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

The Fool posted:

The intention of the application is to watch for hotkeys. Passing all keystrokes to a log file/public API was probably done for debugging then never turned off.

I'm running an hp shop, but none of my workstations have conexant audio, thankfully.

That matches the build quality on the Elitebooks. The G3s aren't good, but they're still a step up from the earlier models.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Are there not provisions in Windows that can be used to monitor hotkey presses, rather than having to look at every keypress?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

Are there not provisions in Windows that can be used to monitor hotkey presses, rather than having to look at every keypress?

Not really, no. You have to install a global key hook and then just ignore/pass on keys you don't want.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

Yes, but we are talking about a lovely system tray app for a lovely audio driver from a lovely chip manufacturer.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

All our laptops are in the models affected. I checked and they all have the log file, but it's zero bytes.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

GreenNight posted:

All our laptops are in the models affected. I checked and they all have the log file, but it's zero bytes.

You're going to want to remove the tray application, because even if it doesn't log it, its sending keystrokes to a public API.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

GreenNight posted:

Linux is free if your time is worth nothing.

Luckily Microsoft is there to charge you a ton of money for a server product that takes just a much time to admin!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

The Fool posted:

You're going to want to remove the tray application, because even if it doesn't log it, its sending keystrokes to a public API.

I just heard back from our HP rep. They're saying HP is going to have a solution to resolve by the end of the day.

Install this manual patch!

:(

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Azhais posted:

Luckily Microsoft is there to charge you a ton of money for a server product that takes just a much time to admin!

rms?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

One of my links went down to a remote manufacturing facility. I start putting in a ticket with the provider and get a highly entertaining call from the on site electrician asking why no remote connectivity works and also by the way we were doing some work back there and moved a white box about two feet on the wall.

Had them send me a picture it was the ATT demarc box, complete with all of the labels covering it saying don't loving touch this call this number etc. :suicide:

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
A ticket came in, one of the security cameras was down. I take a look and sure enough it's down... and has been for two months.

Take a look at my network rack and whaddyaknow, the patch cable is missing. I patch it back in.

A ticket came in seconds later, every remote site on the wireless bridge is down.

Now how the gently caress could an IP camera in a switch take down the wireless bridge network?? I spend ten minutes losing my loving mind trying to figure out what happened to no avail.

A ticket came in, "Hey I accidentally bumped the power switch on this black box in the storage closet and now my email won't work" :eng99:

What a lovely coincidence that made me question everything I know about networking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Judge Schnoopy posted:

A ticket came in, one of the security cameras was down. I take a look and sure enough it's down... and has been for two months.

Take a look at my network rack and whaddyaknow, the patch cable is missing. I patch it back in.

A ticket came in seconds later, every remote site on the wireless bridge is down.

Now how the gently caress could an IP camera in a switch take down the wireless bridge network?? I spend ten minutes losing my loving mind trying to figure out what happened to no avail.

A ticket came in, "Hey I accidentally bumped the power switch on this black box in the storage closet and now my email won't work" :eng99:

What a lovely coincidence that made me question everything I know about networking.

We had an HP printer completely shutdown a whole leg of our network.
Apparently with the firmware it was running, this particular model "responds as if it were a router in some Cisco environments".
If I can find the case notes I'll post em up.

• Locked thread