Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Wow, OK. New Vegas allowed for you to do that so I wasn't even considering that something unique.

On the ending: I guess it makes sense for the story. It's one of those things that in terms of content and pacing would be a great cap to a short story but feels a bit grating at the end of a 25 hour experience. That said, I enjoyed almost all of those 25 hours so I'm not going to lose sleep over the ending of anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Not every game can be Horizon when it comes to having perfect endings, I suppose. I'm still stewing on the ending myself, I'll probably end up posting my thoughts on it just to get them out there.

n4
Jul 26, 2001

Poor Chu-Chu : (

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Solution

No, you can only temporarily shut it down so that you can run inside to grab the key card. You actually can go inside even without shutting it down and take no damage, but I think you die if you are inside when the pulse occurs.

oh I got the keycard. But how do you access that computer without hacking?

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.
Odd question but is there an animated gif of anyone looking at a looking glass (while moving to show teh dimensions) then shattering it?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

n4 posted:

oh I got the keycard. But how do you access that computer without hacking?

I don't think you can, IIRC but there really isn't anything on it other than the temp shutdown option.

n4
Jul 26, 2001

Poor Chu-Chu : (
Oh ok good. I thought I needed it so I could look at HER EMAILS

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
I liked what RE7 did with its demo. Having some kind of ARG or super deep puzzle hidden within the game is always fun to participate in.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
I think I missed an explanation for a plot-thread: Why were so many people on the station having emotional and neurological issues, like Calvino forgetting about his glass order? Was it because they'd been neuromodding themselves, and it was personality drift? Or was it the typhon in their heads going active after the outbreak?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
From what I gathered in the data logs: both at the same time

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

3Romeo posted:

I think I missed an explanation for a plot-thread: ...like Calvino forgetting about his glass order?

He has Alzheimer.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

So green tea increases your psychic energy but coffee doesn't, huh

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Haha, just beat my second game. Only Typhon powers, all humans saved.

The ending has additional quips if you do it that way. Not only Igwe mentions how you've changed their expectations despite your nature. Honestly felt like the most fleshed out? Like I did mixed first and Igwe basically had a throwaway "he dipped into Typhon powers though it could just be his nature.". Watched the all human powers and it's just "It only used human powers, maybe that means it's trying to be more like us?".

All Typhon got a "Well I mean it is a Typhon organism, it does what it knows." but Sarah and Danielle made very specific mentions to me BEING a Typhon and using Typhon powers yet still going out of my way to save everyone.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
by all humans saved, do you mean all plot characters, or like, stun-gunning everyone affected by telepaths, etc

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Knifegrab posted:

This game has garbage enemy design, pretty bad human design/animation, and a story that becomes laughably terrible towards the end. Also good lord the bugs.

I love how the thread 180'd from "this game is the best System Shock" to "this game is a TRASH FIRE" so quickly.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Another plot point I'm not sure I understood entirely: What's the exact purpose of the coral? From what I could tell, the weavers exist as a special form of mimic to produce the stuff and it's all linked together. There are diagrams for neural networks on various whiteboards throughout the station and Alex refers to them as well. As I understood it, the entire coral network is one giant machine learning structure which is built out of the "consciousness energy" of humans the mimics have killed, and when it grows past a certain threshold it alerts the Apex to tunnel through space to its location.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

VolticSurge posted:

I love how the thread 180'd from "this game is the best System Shock" to "this game is a TRASH FIRE" so quickly.

It's one dude who has been saying that over and over for several pages :confused:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

VolticSurge posted:

yeah man I really love this nonexistent thing too

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

VolticSurge posted:

I like how you edited out the parts where Knifegrab said it has good level design and in general is a good game.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
SS3 is an actual thing actually being worked on btw (lots of industry vets but unproven studio). Avellone also involved in the writing.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

by all humans saved, do you mean all plot characters, or like, stun-gunning everyone affected by telepaths, etc

Full humans saved. Checked the crew roster and wrote down every Nominal person, then made sure they survived by stun gun/trickery.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

The ending is a perfectly effective Twilight Zone reveal

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

Rinkles posted:

SS3 is an actual thing actually being worked on btw (lots of industry vets but unproven studio). Avellone also involved in the writing.

honestly I don't envy their situation after this game

they have quite a bit to live up to now

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I really like the contrast in leveling up between this is Dishonored 2. Like, a few levels in, you're ridiculously powerful in Dishonored 2, which is part of the fun, but also not particularly challenging. Upgrades in Prey are more like a red queen's race, where it's all you can do to keep up with the big enemy populations the game throws at you in the later half of the game. You're always on your toes.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I just discovered that after looting a typhon corpse you can additionally recycle grenade it for even more exotic material.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
by the way, anyone looking for metal, please recycle turrets and operator corpses. they're by far the best source of it i've found, i put together a little pile of like four turrets and a couple of operators and came out with like 10 blocks of metal

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

What gets you synthetics, though, that ended up being the big bottleneck for me in the second half

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Is there some gimmick I don't know with the poltergeist? They don't show up until long after you get the slowfall jets so they just lift you briefly into the air before you land safely and wrench them to death. I never took a single point of damage from them the entire game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
One time I found synthetic and organic material in the trash can in a bathroom :stonklol:

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Mzbundifund posted:

Is there some gimmick I don't know with the poltergeist? They don't show up until long after you get the slowfall jets so they just lift you briefly into the air before you land safely and wrench them to death. I never took a single point of damage from them the entire game.

They also throw stuff at you for pretty reasonable damage

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Mzbundifund posted:

They're supposed to throw heavy crap at you but I rarely see em do it

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I just break down most of my spare parts and suit repair kits. There are so many engineering operators around, and not much to use spare parts on, so those things are more useful as ammo.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I once got hit by a giant crate which knocked me into an electrical field and then a surge killed me.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Mzbundifund posted:

They have no way of hurting you, and the skill you unlock from scanning them is just as useless as when they use it on you. Only thing I can think of that makes them dangerous is they cause the fear effect, so if there's a poltergeist nearby and other enemies as well it can get a bit hard to see what you're doing. Definitely the most pointless enemy in the game.

e: Never mind, I guess they throw stuff at you? I took the time to kill them whenever they showed up and all they ever did was use the lifting spell.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Mzbundifund posted:

I died to one. They surely make combats complex when combined with others.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Rinkles posted:

jesus christ they called prey 2 system shock 3

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

There's also a System Shock 1 remake in the works by a different team.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Palpek posted:

There's also a System Shock 1 remake in the works by a different team.

The proof of concept alpha demo was short but fun too.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

VolticSurge posted:

Did you not even read the second line of my post?

Knifegrab posted:

Its not the second coming of christ but it is a good game.

Also you editted out how I mentioned the game has spectacular level design.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Oh yeah, people mentioned not noticing anything after adding that thing to the water supply. I have done it yet, but maybe drinking from water fountains gives you psi too after?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

Oh yeah, people mentioned not noticing anything after adding that thing to the water supply. I have done it yet, but maybe drinking from water fountains gives you psi too after?

Yeah, I haven't gotten around to it either, but that's what I assumed.