Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

sleepwalkers posted:

Does anyone know the reason behind third-party launchers not being able to swipe for Google Now?

Also, Nova can allow you to open it via gesture, just not the swipe right on leftmost screen gesture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I have a question re: automatic Android OS updates. Sorry if this has been covered, thread is huge.

Q: Is it possible to truly prevent the OS from automatically updating? If so, how?

Here's my situation.

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S6
OS: Android System Version 7.0 (current, after last update)
Wireless provider: AT&T

I'm a physician and the phone is effectively my beeper when I'm on call, I receive vital and time sensitive calls, texts and emails on it.

I was on call and the device gave me notification that an OS update was available. I kept choosing the "not now" option (whatever it was called) and it seemed to be allowing me to wait until a time of my choosing and didn't initiate the update.

I went to bed that evening and woke up with the phone having updated the OS and me having to go through the various steps to restart it. This presumably means that in the time between the software update and me waking up and restarting it, the phone was essentially offline and I was unable to receive any communications. Luckily for me it appears that nothing happened during that time and no one was trying to reach me.

I was trying to avoid a 15-30 minute communications blackout but instead got one that might have been for hours. Of course if I'd known that this would have happened I would have parked myself next to a hospital phone, told my office that I was going to be at that number for the next 15-30 minutes while I updated my phone OS, and sat there until it finished and then called, texted or emailed to let them know I was back online.

When the OS updated I was also not on wifi. I have it set so that apps only automatically update when I'm connected to the web via a Wifi network. The automatic update didn't wind up being a big issue for me in terms of the data usage but that's another problem with it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's going to sound glib, but it's going to come up.

This is why you buy a Pixel.

OS updates happen in the background, you choose when to reboot, the reboot itself is only slightly longer than a normal reboot since the update is already done prior to reboot, if your phone DOES reboot when you don't expect, the Pixel still allows texts and calls to come through before you decrypt it.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

C-Euro posted:

At $5/month extra on my plan it's not a big deal, no.

Also, what's the best way to make sure everything gets properly transferred from one phone to the next? I'm sure the phone store will get all of my contacts/~accounts~ transferred to the new device, and my Google Play account will let me download all the apps I have on the old device, but what if I want to get app-specific settings or data from the old phone to the new one (such as a list of subscriptions in a podcast client)? Can I just install the app on my new phone, then take a certain file from the old phone to the new one?

Sorta app dependent unfortunately. Setup the new phone and see what syncs but don't wipe the old one until you're sure you got everything.

If you aren't using Pocketcasts for podcasts (and you should be) it syncs to the cloud as long as you've created an account and all your episodes/seasons etc will be synced to the device.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

bull3964 posted:

It's going to sound glib, but it's going to come up.

This is why you buy a Pixel.

OS updates happen in the background, you choose when to reboot, the reboot itself is only slightly longer than a normal reboot since the update is already done prior to reboot, if your phone DOES reboot when you don't expect, the Pixel still allows texts and calls to come through before you decrypt it.

Pixel or an iPhone even (I'm not sure how iOS updates work). If people's health may literally depend on your phone working, I can't say I'd recommend an outdated Samsung. I don't always agree with the level of harsh treatment that Samsung gets in this thread, but your needs seem to require extreme reliability.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Zwabu posted:

I have a question re: automatic Android OS updates. Sorry if this has been covered, thread is huge.

Q: Is it possible to truly prevent the OS from automatically updating? If so, how?

Here's my situation.

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S6
OS: Android System Version 7.0 (current, after last update)
Wireless provider: AT&T

I'm a physician and the phone is effectively my beeper when I'm on call, I receive vital and time sensitive calls, texts and emails on it.

I was on call and the device gave me notification that an OS update was available. I kept choosing the "not now" option (whatever it was called) and it seemed to be allowing me to wait until a time of my choosing and didn't initiate the update.

I went to bed that evening and woke up with the phone having updated the OS and me having to go through the various steps to restart it. This presumably means that in the time between the software update and me waking up and restarting it, the phone was essentially offline and I was unable to receive any communications. Luckily for me it appears that nothing happened during that time and no one was trying to reach me.

I was trying to avoid a 15-30 minute communications blackout but instead got one that might have been for hours. Of course if I'd known that this would have happened I would have parked myself next to a hospital phone, told my office that I was going to be at that number for the next 15-30 minutes while I updated my phone OS, and sat there until it finished and then called, texted or emailed to let them know I was back online.

When the OS updated I was also not on wifi. I have it set so that apps only automatically update when I'm connected to the web via a Wifi network. The automatic update didn't wind up being a big issue for me in terms of the data usage but that's another problem with it.

Gonna echo the other goons and say the Pixel is your best option on Android.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

If it's that important you should probably have a home phone line in addition to the mobile. Mobiles aren't exactly super reliable.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Evis posted:

If it's that important you should probably have a home phone line in addition to the mobile. Mobiles aren't exactly super reliable.

A Pixel or iPhone is pretty drat reliable! An S6 is not.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Surprised they have to worry about updates on an s6 at all, tbh.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
The Pixel, LG V20, LG G6, and the Galaxy S8/S8+ should all handle updates like that, as shipping with Nougat out of the box is a requirement for updates to work that way.

You used to be able go to "About Device" in your phone's settings to disable automatic OS updates but that option was removed in Marshmallow. Supposedly the Nougat update brought the option back, hidden under developer options this time. As a physician you'd probably be better off with an iPhone though.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

RZA Encryption posted:

Surprised they have to worry about updates on an s6 at all, tbh.

This, basically. They're still releasing updates for the S6?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

My friend with an S6 just got Nougat.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

bull3964 posted:

How could you possibly be friends with such a disgusting creature?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

As a certified Pixel Warrior, I choose my friends very carefully let me tell you

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
All my friends have iPhones, so

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Okay, I've recently gotten an android phone so that I can use my phone plan in Europe. And apparently there's going to be a Travel Ban that would make bringing my old ipad back into the states difficult.

I mostly use my ipad for reading.
On the ipad, I have a pdf reader called good reader. From dropbox, I can select "Open in Goodreader", and boom it's in a pdf reader that remembers where I am in the pdf and lets me have bookmarks I can name, and I can use them offline.

There's no goodreader on android phone, Adobe automatically connects to dropbox and finds things saved to the phone but does not allow named bookmarks, I tried to use something called ebookdroid but you can't open into it from dropbox and it can't find the pdf I saved to my phone.
Any other suggestions?

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 18:47 on May 11, 2017

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Any other suggestions?

Moon+ reader

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Desk Lamp posted:

The Pixel, LG V20, LG G6, and the Galaxy S8/S8+ should all handle updates like that, as shipping with Nougat out of the box is a requirement for updates to work that way.
I don't think Google is requiring it from OEMs and I don't think the S8/S8+ do seamless updates. The first two updates to my S8+ have both went the same as they did on my S7E.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Blue Train posted:

Moon+ reader

This is perfect, thank you.

Tincans
Dec 15, 2007

Within two weeks I'm already on my second s-pen.
First time I've been Samsung'd, certainly won't be the last.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Tincans posted:

Within two weeks I'm already on my second s-pen.
First time I've been Samsung'd, certainly won't be the last.

What the gently caress did you do to it, chew on it? I've never gone through S-pens.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
My Nexus 5X has been very unstable since about the last 2 security updates. It'll just randomly hang with no apparent pattern, although bluetooth stays active. Occasionally, it comes back from the hang after a while, but that's happening less and less. Is there anything I can do to troubleshoot, like check logs over adb or something?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Jan posted:

My Nexus 5X has been very unstable since about the last 2 security updates. It'll just randomly hang with no apparent pattern, although bluetooth stays active. Occasionally, it comes back from the hang after a while, but that's happening less and less. Is there anything I can do to troubleshoot, like check logs over adb or something?

Since 7.1.2 I noticed my Pixel XL doing that too. I did a factory reset and it's completely fixed, so I recommend that.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

datajosh posted:

I don't think Google is requiring it from OEMs and I don't think the S8/S8+ do seamless updates. The first two updates to my S8+ have both went the same as they did on my S7E.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised they'd gently caress up something so simple.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

CLAM DOWN posted:

Since 7.1.2 I noticed my Pixel XL doing that too. I did a factory reset and it's completely fixed, so I recommend that.

I had the same issue as well. Doing a factory and letting everything restore from backup didn't fix it. I bought a pixel after that, but then for funzies I put Android O on it w/o restoring anything and it fixed it..
I felt that something in my backup was loving up the OS. CALM DOWN, did you restore anything? or just install fresh?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

deong posted:

I had the same issue as well. Doing a factory and letting everything restore from backup didn't fix it. I bought a pixel after that, but then for funzies I put Android O on it w/o restoring anything and it fixed it..
I felt that something in my backup was loving up the OS. CALM DOWN, did you restore anything? or just install fresh?

I did restore, used the backup of the same phone from an hour prior.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

S8/S8+ only fast changes when the screen is off.

http://phandroid.com/2017/05/11/psa-the-galaxy-s8-and-s8-wont-fast-charge-while-youre-using-it/amp/

If your screen is on, even if you aren't doing much, it changes at a rate that will take 3 hours to reach complete charge.

Bad news for those who hope to get a quick top off while watching a movie or using navigation.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
I shipped my G4 back to Moto on Monday for repair and the replacement device is already waiting for me at home.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I had an s6 and never had a problem with it?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

bull3964 posted:

http://phandroid.com/2017/05/11/psa-the-galaxy-s8-and-s8-wont-fast-charge-while-youre-using-it/amp/

If your screen is on, even if you aren't doing much, it changes at a rate that will take 3 hours to reach complete charge.

Bad news for those who hope to get a quick top off while watching a movie or using navigation.

Isn't that pretty common and not unique to the Galaxy S8 at all?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

bull3964 posted:

That's too bad. The faster it changes the better!

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I've got a Samsung Galaxy S4 that I think is on its last legs. I'm on my third battery, which is only a few months old and 6,000 mah, so I don't think it's that. It's been restarting pretty randomly for awhile now, not sending text messages for hours, burning through the battery like mad (100% at 7:30 am, 30% by noon with little use)... how is the S8? I checked the OP but it says the S5 is the latest and greatest so I think it's kinda outdated.

I really don't like replacing my phone often, and want something that'll last awhile - I don't like the idea of non-serviceable batteries but I can be convinced that it's an OK thing. I also like sticking my microSD card in my phone.

edit: it's also charging very slowly. It's plugged into my computer at work, granted, but it's been stuck at 7% for an hour. I took it off for a bathroom break prior to that and in ten minutes it went from 14% to 7% and restarted.

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 22:00 on May 11, 2017

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Fame Douglas posted:

Isn't that pretty common and not unique to the Galaxy S8 at all?

Not common at all, no. Phones with proper thermal management base charge speed on a feedback loop, keeping the temp of the battery from getting too high while maximising charge.

Samsung, apparently still stung from the Note 7, decided to play it very conservative with charging.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Yeah that update fixed the poo poo battery issues my wife's S6 was experiencing. Which is good since only wireless charging works because the charging port is broken...

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

bull3964 posted:

Not common at all, no. Phones with proper thermal management base charge speed on a feedback loop, keeping the temp of the battery from getting too high while maximising charge.

Samsung, apparently still stung from the Note 7, decided to play it very conservative with charging.

but but but, it needs to be .000001mm thinner or consumers won't buy it!

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

bull3964 posted:

Apparently this has been a thing since the S6? My wife and I have never noticed with the S6, S7, or S8 and my wife uses her phone with the screen on while charging quite a bit. I'm guessing this is one of those things that really doesn't matter much in day-to-day use.

CornHolio posted:

I've got a Samsung Galaxy S4 that I think is on its last legs. I'm on my third battery, which is only a few months old and 6,000 mah, so I don't think it's that. It's been restarting pretty randomly for awhile now, not sending text messages for hours, burning through the battery like mad (100% at 7:30 am, 30% by noon with little use)... how is the S8? I checked the OP but it says the S5 is the latest and greatest so I think it's kinda outdated.

I really don't like replacing my phone often, and want something that'll last awhile - I don't like the idea of non-serviceable batteries but I can be convinced that it's an OK thing. I also like sticking my microSD card in my phone.

edit: it's also charging very slowly. It's plugged into my computer at work, granted, but it's been stuck at 7% for an hour. I took it off for a bathroom break prior to that and in ten minutes it went from 14% to 7% and restarted.
It could still be a battery issue, aftermarket batteries aren't known for their reliability. Everyone is going to tell you to buy a Pixel but I like my S8+. If you're still using a S4, either the Pixel or the S8 would be a huge upgrade.

Now, if you're buying outright at retail price, you might want to consider the Moto G5 Plus.

datajosh fucked around with this message at 22:28 on May 11, 2017

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

CornHolio posted:

You shouldn't have any issues with the S8, although I'd recommend the S8+.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

datajosh posted:

It could still be a battery issue, aftermarket batteries aren't known for their reliability. Everyone is going to tell you to buy a Pixel but I like my S8+. If you're still using a S4, either the Pixel or the S8 would be a huge upgrade.

The S8+ is an amazing phone, highly recommended.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

datajosh posted:

Apparently this has been a thing since the S6? My wife and I have never noticed with the S6, S7, or S8 and my wife uses her phone with the screen on while charging quite a bit. I'm guessing this is one of those things that really doesn't matter much in day-to-day use.

Now, if you're buying outright at retail price, you might want to consider the Moto G5 Plus.

Maybe I'll order a new battery and do another factory reset, kick this can a little further down the road if I can. Otherwise, S8 it likely is.

The Pixel looks great too but it sure seems expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

CornHolio posted:

The Pixel looks great too but it sure seems expensive.

Is it that much more than the s8