Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Don't "shhh!" me, you rich bastard!
I am Joel's lovingly-rendered-in-toothpick model of Monticello.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I am the size of Luxembourg

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
I'm Joe Don Baker :(

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

MisterZimbu posted:

I'm Joe Don Baker :(

I see now that you in no way meant to imply this, but I immediately had to go check wikipedia to make sure Joe Don Baker hadn't died.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Joel once made the comment that the right people would get the jokes they made.

The "Hamilton, Joe Frank, and Reynolds" skit had to have been written for me. Having grown up listening to 70s Top 40 AM radio, it was the perfect sketch.

Odd bit of trivia: Tommy Reynolds left the band, but they didn't change the name.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I'm Crow's friend Timmy.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I'm having Critter's varmint

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

drrockso20 posted:

on the topic of cheesy movies that would be good for season 12, I nominate Bless the Beasts and Children, even if it is somewhat better in quality than a lot of the movies MST3K riffs, I do feel it's got more than enough corniness to work well, plus it's already got a connection to MST3K, as it's referenced in four separate episodes of the original run(Rocketship X-M, King Dinosaur, Gamera vs Zigra, and Being From Another Planet) so clearly it made some sort of impression on Joel(especially for a comparatively obscure 1971 film that as far as I can tell didn't get a home video release till the DVD era)

admittedly I've got a bit of a personal reason for suggesting this movie beyond it's suitability for riffing, as like Catalina Caper before it, it was partially shot on Catalina Island, and also my mother and uncle as kids have extremely brief blink and miss appearances as background extras

I nominate every movie from Best of the Worst that hasn't already been covered in the show.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

I'm that robot that Crow and Servo built that only speaks in volumes of foam.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I'm the second half of Crow when he cuts himself in two after the Industrial Arts short.

Mister Kingdom posted:

Joel once made the comment that the right people would get the jokes they made.

The "Hamilton, Joe Frank, and Reynolds" skit had to have been written for me. Having grown up listening to 70s Top 40 AM radio, it was the perfect sketch.

Odd bit of trivia: Tommy Reynolds left the band, but they didn't change the name.

"Why would I want to turn my crank to Frank?"
"Wynona."

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I'm the second half of Crow when he cuts himself in two after the Industrial Arts short.

"Why would I want to turn my crank to Frank?"
"Wynona."

Brooks and Dunn.

edit: Get platinum so I can PM you "BROOKS AND DUNN"

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Egbert Souse posted:

Brooks and Dunn.

edit: Get platinum so I can PM you "BROOKS AND DUNN"

what is wynona

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Magic Hate Ball posted:

what is wynona

Do I need more Reba?

I watched Last of the Wild Horses for the first time today. I'm guessing they did the clever alternate universe thing because the movie was so boring. Though, some good riffs "Here, the director thinks he's John Ford". I'm surprised no one pointed out the round-faced guy was Grady Sutton, character actor that appeared in a bunch of W.C. Fields movies.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I'm Cam-Bot.

While everyone else is having fun, I just sit in the back, silently. Watching. Staring. Unblinking. Committing everything to memory.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Jet Jaguar posted:

I'm that robot that Crow and Servo built that only speaks in volumes of foam.

I AM THE ATOMIC-POWERED ROBOT. PLEASE GIVE MY BEST WISHES TO EVERYBODY.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
My backer reward coffee mug and keychain arrived today.

The keychain is really nice, with the MST3k "moon" logo that can freely rotate inside a frame. Unfortunately, this means it would probably last about five minutes in my pocket before breaking, so it will hang from the shelf above my desk.

The coffee mug is super disappointing. There's no handle, it's nearly spherical and hard to pick up, and it's not dishwasher or microwave safe. Pretty bummed about that, as it's basically useless as a functional coffee mug. I guess I needed a pencil cup?

Add to the wrong-sized T-shirt they sent me a few months ago, and I'm a little disenchanted with the physical rewards.

The new episodes make up for it though!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rollersnake posted:

I see now that you in no way meant to imply this, but I immediately had to go check wikipedia to make sure Joe Don Baker hadn't died.

haha :same:

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Metroid sighting huh? Well, I did just pour this coffee...it will still be there tomorrow.
As I'm rewatching the series from the start, I'm finding quite a few episodes that I just have zero memory of. Being From Another Planet is a pretty good riff, and weird rear end movie, and I just never remembered it. Also a pretty glaring bit of nudity that somehow didn't get cut or blurred.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Egbert Souse posted:

I'm having Critter's varmint

I'm an Icky Elf!

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
My mom got me into MST3K when I was a kid, and yesterday I had the privilege of introducing her to new MST3K. She misses the old bots, but generally seems to really like the new cast, Patton Oswalt in particular. She was laughing hysterically at riffs that I didn't think were particularly great, so it's safe to say the show has retained its multi-generational appeal. :v:

Also after watching Carnival Magic a second time, I have no qualms about calling it one of the best episodes in the show's history. If anything it was funnier the second time around because I'd gotten over the film's sheer sleaziness.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Rewatched Red Zone Cuba. I forgot how horrible it was, but the riffs are funnier than I remembered.

Though, I will not do the knee test

Rollersnake posted:

My mom got me into MST3K when I was a kid, and yesterday I had the privilege of introducing her to new MST3K. She misses the old bots, but generally seems to really like the new cast, Patton Oswalt in particular. She was laughing hysterically at riffs that I didn't think were particularly great, so it's safe to say the show has retained its multi-generational appeal. :v:

Also after watching Carnival Magic a second time, I have no qualms about calling it one of the best episodes in the show's history. If anything it was funnier the second time around because I'd gotten over the film's sheer sleaziness.

When I was in middle school, my uncle showed me The Movie. I vaguely recalled MST3K on Comedy Central, but from Short Attention Span Theater. I probably saw The Movie 20 times before I was out of high school and practically memorized it. My mother would usually watch new episodes with me back in high school. I just showed her Reptilicus and Cry Wilderness, both of which she found hilarious. She burst out laughing during the latter when they invoked The Final Sacrifice since that's one of her favorites, as well as liked the Pee-Wee references (I think she enjoyed Pee-Wee's Playhouse more than I did as a child).

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
The knee test totally works

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

The knee test totally works

Don't do it during the speech!

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Metroid sighting huh? Well, I did just pour this coffee...it will still be there tomorrow.
We never had Comedy Central when I was kid, so I had no idea this existed. Then one week, the cable company was trying to figure out which channel to add to the package. This was in the days when we only had about 30-40 channels on our cable package. After the preview, cable customers got to vote on which channel to add.

So they gave a free preview for a couple of days. On a Saturday night, I flipped to the preview channel which was Comedy Central. And of course, they were playing an episode of MST3K. I don't really remember what episode was playing, but I immediately fell in love.

Unfortunately, Comedy Central didn't win the voting, and it would be several years before I could see another episode. One of the VHS subscription services started offering the individual episodes as a standalone subscription. I signed up and every month or so I'd get a new VHS. Pod people was the first, and it remains my favorite episode. Cave dwellers came next, then Eegah.

I didn't get to see episodes airing until I went to college and got access to the sci-fi channel. By then they were already in season 10. I managed to record all the reruns that were airing, and since then I've been obsessively collecting all the DVD sets.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I recorded every Sci-Fi episode except for The Undead. Ended up having to throw out all my MST3K tapes last year because the tape itself was covered with mold from being in my parents' garage for 15 years.

Meanwhile, a box of Betamax tapes I saved from a school dumpster is in pristine condition.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Just started Wizards 2 and the kid in this movie sounds like he can't wait to bomb some Dodongos!

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

TL posted:

Just started Wizards 2 and the kid in this movie sounds like he can't wait to bomb some Dodongos!

It took me one painful teenage voice squeak to suddenly remember that he was the teenager in Tremors.

God Wizards 2 is a bad movie/great MST3K episode

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

The Prune song from the Christmas That Almost Wasn't ranks very high on the "WTF am I watching?" list of MST3K moments. :psyduck:

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
The Christmas movies are always so delightfully misguided because everyone who makes a Christmas movie has a radically different idea of what whimsy entails.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Crazy Ferret posted:

It took me one painful teenage voice squeak to suddenly remember that he was the teenager in Tremors.

Oh my God, that's who he is. What a career.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Gavok posted:

The Prune song from the Christmas That Almost Wasn't ranks very high on the "WTF am I watching?" list of MST3K moments. :psyduck:

So fuckin low effort, it's kind of amazing.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Gavok posted:

It reminded me a little of the song Bob Hoskins sings when he's killing the weasels in Roger Rabbit

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The Christmas movies are always so delightfully misguided because everyone who makes a Christmas movie has a radically different idea of what whimsy entails.

I don't remember which episode, but the riff about pulling Santa Claus over and going "Hey buddy, you gotta license for dis whimsy?" kills me

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Magic Hate Ball posted:

This is true. Looking at all the films MST3K and RiffTrax have covered, the most solid Christmas movie is about Martians.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Bruceski posted:

I'm M. Waverly

I love how he's in the sticker pack. :3:

drunkencarp
Feb 14, 2012

Kazy posted:

I love how he's in the sticker pack. :3:

I laughed out loud when I saw that.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

So many of the shorts are so good that it's hard to rate them, but this one, the weird opera about the car showroom, and, of course, A Case of Spring Fever will always stick out to me.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I always liked the one about the girl whose brother brings home a hot guy and she woos him by extolling the wonders of their all-electric home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I always liked the one about the girl whose brother brings home a hot guy and she woos him by extolling the wonders of their all-electric home.

That one's definitely number four.