Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

President Ryan, or President Hatch? Tough choices, very rough choice-making.

I say we burn the Constitution in the hopes that a gaping vortex forms under D.C. and hastens this national apocalypse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

Best Friends posted:

There is no Constitutional mechanism for new presidential elections. It goes Ryan, Hatch, then down the list of cabinet secretaries by order of the department. And if you run out of those it's the apocalypse anyway.

Mr. Nice! posted:

It's not a hypothetical. We already have a succession act. If T&P are both out, Ryan is president full stop. If he's out, too, it's Orrin Hatch from the senate.

That seems, uh, kind of dumb. I can understand it from an emeregency perspective, i.e. potus/vp both die somehow and continuity of government needs to be secured, but wouldn't impeachment etc. be a textbook example of a scenario where new elections would also be wholly appropriate?

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
If number 4 was to be president because everyone else was on trial, the GOP would have to be on every street corner giving out blowjobs promising UHC just to keep their job.

A man can dream.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
https://twitter.com/th3j35t3r/status/862753811307388929

Oh snap.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Missionary Positron posted:

That seems, uh, kind of dumb. I can understand it from an emeregency perspective, i.e. potus/vp both die somehow and continuity of government needs to be secured, but wouldn't impeachment etc. be a textbook example of a scenario where new elections would also be wholly appropriate?

That's not how it works. They made an elaborate line of succession because they were planning on nuclear war with russia.

Also, so not to completely clutter the CE thread with tweets and poo poo, I made a trump tinfoil thread for people to sit back like I am agape at the fact that the entire republican party has been funneling russian money through it for years.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3820146

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLXEj4UowF8&t=18s

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Office Pig posted:

President Ryan, or President Hatch? Tough choices, very rough choice-making.

I say we burn the Constitution in the hopes that a gaping vortex forms under D.C. and hastens this national apocalypse.

No since this is the darkest time line we get President DeVos. It'll be just like Battlestar Galactica

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

GoGoGadget posted:

No since this is the darkest time line we get President DeVos. It'll be just like Battlestar Galactica

She'll have a whiteboard with a number on it but instead of people still alive it'll be Republicans that are still in office and not being tried for treason. Also the number goes up, not down.

The Pi dude
Oct 19, 2013
Buglord

GoGoGadget posted:

Would her brother be the crown Prince?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/862758098892619780

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Guess where he got that from?

r/The_Donald

https://twitter.com/Walldo/status/862761102769246208

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...a004_story.html

quote:

Federal authorities on Thursday searched the offices of a political consulting firm in Annapolis that has worked with Republican candidates nationwide and was sued in 2014 on allegations of fraudulent fundraising practices.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
After Pence, Ryan and Hatch, Tillerson is next in line for succession. That's also not really an improvement. But after Tillerson is Mnuchin, and then Mattis! If Hatch gets a heart attack upon hearing that Trump, Ryan and Pence fell over their Russia ties, Tillerson steps down because his wife tells him to for some reason, you would only need to get rid of Goldman Sachs banker Mnuchin.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
If Pence, Ryan, and Trump somehow got taken down, then Mattis publicly murdered his way to the presidency, he just might have bipartisan support for looking the other way.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Torrannor posted:

After Pence, Ryan and Hatch, Tillerson is next in line for succession. That's also not really an improvement. But after Tillerson is Mnuchin, and then Mattis! If Hatch gets a heart attack upon hearing that Trump, Ryan and Pence fell over their Russia ties, Tillerson steps down because his wife tells him to for some reason, you would only need to get rid of Goldman Sachs banker Mnuchin.

would Tillerson even want to be president?

Also if Pence becomes president (even if its just temporary) could he appoint his own VP and then resign or does he not get a VP? Or would his VP become Ryan?

PookBear fucked around with this message at 21:40 on May 11, 2017

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Reverand maynard posted:

would Tillerson even want to be president?

God's not done with him yet.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

mlmp08 posted:

If Pence, Ryan, and Trump somehow got taken down, then Mattis publicly murdered his way to the presidency, he just might have bipartisan support for looking the other way.

He could just pardon himself right?

Or I'm sure Duckworth would be happy to walk up and knife some people to clear the way and gracefully accept her pardon from him.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/862767872879325185

What's that psyduck smilie that goes full nuclear

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

If he slits the throat of Nazihobo on the steps of the capitol with a Ka-bar it's all good.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Is this even real loving life anymore, everything's sliding.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

PookBear fucked around with this message at 21:43 on May 11, 2017

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

No, the Psyduck that explodes into more Psyducks

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Missionary Positron posted:

One way to explain it is that America was the beta testing of democracy as a form of government. Mistakes were made and lessons were learned. Once we're done dropping thousands of pounds of freedom on a country and we try our hand at nation building we go with forms of democracy better than ours. Ones that fix the bugs left over because "holy poo poo the electoral college what the gently caress?" and things like our current cluster gently caress of succession being merely a different flavor of bullshit instead of a solution.

The original programmers left in a way to update things to keep up with changes thay they knew would be necessary. Unfortunately with the raging dumpster fire that things have turned into if we give anyone the chance to fix those bugs they'll screw EVERYTHING up with the power it grants them so welp, we're hosed.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
What's the outside chance of Pence meeting with the Cabinet and Hill Republicans to invoke the 25th and remove Donnie from office? Just cut Trump himself out, say mission accomplished, and try to walk away from the Russian stuff?

I can get the optics but Pence isn't an idiot. He's got to be looking at every angle. He doesn't seem the type to just go down with the ship with The Donald.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Force de Fappe posted:

Is this even real loving life anymore, everything's sliding.

Guys I think this might actually be the best timeline.

The Pi dude
Oct 19, 2013
Buglord

Pesticide20 posted:

No, the Psyduck that explodes into more Psyducks
This one?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

That's the one. That's about how this whole thing is going

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Thwomp posted:

What's the outside chance of Pence meeting with the Cabinet and Hill Republicans to invoke the 25th and remove Donnie from office? Just cut Trump himself off and try to walk away from the Russian stuff?

I can get the optics but Pence isn't an idiot. He's got to be looking at every angle. He doesn't seem the type to just go down with the ship with The Donald.

Pence has already gone on air calling stories of Russian collusion fake news, he's as complicit as anyone else.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Does laughing up their sleeves make more sense in the original Russian?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Thwomp posted:

What's the outside chance of Pence meeting with the Cabinet and Hill Republicans to invoke the 25th and remove Donnie from office? Just cut Trump himself out, say mission accomplished, and try to walk away from the Russian stuff?

This will only happen if Trump tries to nuke someone. Maybe not even then.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

bird food bathtub posted:

One way to explain it is that America was the beta testing of democracy as a form of government. Mistakes were made and lessons were learned. Once we're done dropping thousands of pounds of freedom on a country and we try our hand at nation building we go with forms of democracy better than ours. Ones that fix the bugs left over because "holy poo poo the electoral college what the gently caress?" and things like our current cluster gently caress of succession being merely a different flavor of bullshit instead of a solution.

The original programmers left in a way to update things to keep up with changes thay they knew would be necessary. Unfortunately with the raging dumpster fire that things have turned into if we give anyone the chance to fix those bugs they'll screw EVERYTHING up with the power it grants them so welp, we're hosed.

The electoral college is the one computer on the network still running an unpatched copy of Windows XP because the developers are too lazy to rewrite the single application that runs on it which accounting uses once every four years.

SwampDonkey
Oct 13, 2006

by Smythe

(and can't post for 4 years!)

May 2017May 2017

oops

https://twitter.com/KeithOlbermann/status/862778275193638912

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

Нет

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Merriam-Webster to the rescue. :eng101:

https://twitter.com/MerriamWebster/status/862770069100789763

SwampDonkey
Oct 13, 2006

by Smythe

(and can't post for 4 years!)

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/862788002594127873

What? When the gently caress did this happen? What?

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Eight years. Put your tiny dicks away.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Yeah, that Claude Taylor dude is now in the Louise Mensch zone. Pretty sure no other search warrants were executed today, and the one that did get executed might have been about something else entirely. So that whole tweet chain about the FBI and U.S. Marshals getting ready to roll out is bullshit, because I'm pretty sure they would have rolled out by now.

lol nothing matters.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
lets make peace

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Wait, which one is the Nazihobo? I thought Sessions was Racist Perjury Elf.

• Locked thread