Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

CJacobs posted:

Smough also a contender because he's a creepy fucker. I am so sorry Ornstein.

Imagine being this noble knight captain who was once head of an entire army of dragonslayers and you fight these monstrous immortal creatures at the beginning of time and there's fire storms and plagues and lighting going off over your head 24/7 and then in your twilight years instead of being like Gough and retiring somewhere quietly you have to put up with this cannibalistic fatass to guard the daughter of the guy you serve and revere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Thankfully for the poor soul, Dark Souls 3 reveals that it wasn't actually him. Smough was real, Ornstein was not, he was too busy loving off to beat up the rest of Gwyn's family.

No Wave posted:

Solaire's arc is bad.

I disagree. Seeing the poor guy get slowly crushed over the course of the whole game is exactly what DS1 needed to reinforce the hopelessness of the journey and how the exact moment when you give up is the moment you cannot recover from.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What happens if you kill Gwyndolin before Ornstein and Smough? IIRC you can get a ring in the Catacombs that dispels the illusory wall near the Darkmoon Tomb bonfire that then leads to his boss door. Does that work at all?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Ornstein and Smough are best friends and I'll hear nothing to the contrary.

Jay Rust posted:

What happens if you kill Gwyndolin before Ornstein and Smough? IIRC you can get a ring in the Catacombs that dispels the illusory wall near the Darkmoon Tomb bonfire that then leads to his boss door. Does that work at all?

Nothing changes.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Jay Rust posted:

Nothing changes. Through hacking you can fight them in dark Anor Londo though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBhfdCygLbg

The lordvessel will just be sitting on Gwynevere's chair for you to pick up iirc.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Oh I see. I thought it was disturbing Gwyndolin that caused Dark Anor Londo. Would've been a pro way to skip the silver archers at least.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Ornstein definitely seems sad when Smough dies(while on the other hand, Smough just gleefully crushes Ornstein's corpse) so I would assume he respects Smough(but I think that's a one way street)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Jay Rust posted:

Oh I see. I thought it was disturbing Gwyndolin that caused Dark Anor Londo. Would've been a pro way to skip the silver archers at least.

Nope, Anor Londo will stay light until you kill Gwynevere. Even then, there was a hinky bit when the game first released where Gwyndolin would contact you even after his death to let you know you hosed up. No idea if it's still in the game as it is today. :downs:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jay Rust posted:

Which Dark Souls NPC has the best laugh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do6evG7s9bA

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

skasion posted:

I still have no idea what the blue moon sword plot point was even going for apart from maybe "thought you could get an op weapon early by merking this guy? Lol nah". It's like an insanely drawn out joke on the poor guy that isn't in any way funny. They don't play up the irony at all, he keeps on using the sword without any problems or getting even slightly discouraged. He's just wrong, and you can't even break his heart by letting him know that or anything.

One of DS2s themes is that so many cycles have passed no one knows any longer what is real and what is an imitation.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I think ds3 communicates that idea better

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I don't recall that coming up in DS3.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Maleh-Vor posted:

Also you guys are forgetting that if you save Solaire, he gets sad in some pit, but you can summon him for Gwyn, which means he at least got to that point. I like to think he linked the first flame and became his own Sun.

Siegmeyer keeps trying to do his quest and you keep doing it for him, and after Izalith and you save him yet again, he realizes he's not a very good adventurer and goes hollow, since he thinks he can't do anything without you helping him out, and his daughter has to put him down like a rabid dog.

That's only one possible outcome for Siegmeyer (or actually a merging of two of them). At that point he can either a) die. B) live with less than half health, give you a ring and then die from poisoning. C) live with more than half health and get to kill one of those plants, in which case he moves on, eventually meeting his daughter who tells him his wife died which drives him hollow and so she puts him down. Or d) the four chaos eaters are dead before he jumps down in which case he gives you a ring, decides he sucks at this adventuring lark and gives up, disappearing, as he realises you are a hero and he is a sucker.

Oxyclean posted:

Solaire hollows out? by accomplishing his "goal" - so you help him by stopping him from doing that.

Solaire doesn't hollow out either way, he just goes crazy. That's why he's still chatty when you run into him. If he doesn't get the bad end, he makes it all the way to Gwyn, becoming his own sun.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I just picked up DS3 and I can't get enough. How good are Faith Builds? I cruised through DS1 using Katanas, miracles, and parrying dudes.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

And Tyler Too! posted:

I just picked up DS3 and I can't get enough. How good are Faith Builds? I cruised through DS1 using Katanas, miracles, and parrying dudes.

Full faith isn't great, but there are lots of great supporting miracles if you want to go DEX/FTH.Try the classic 40 DEX, 30 FTH with Sunlight Blade, Tears of Denial, etc.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Shoutout to my main dude HaB for helping me farm Vertebrae Shackles

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

The entire point was From trolling the player on the meta level. They give this perfectly friendly guy a sword that the player thinks is badass. It tempts you into killing him to get it. If you actually go through with it, your reward is a plastic piece of trash. From enjoys loving with people on a meta level like that.

Similarly, how Pate seems very Patches-like, but tells you straight up that you're walking into a trap, and isn't responsible for it. I mean, I guess he leaves the chest trap for you if you off Creighton.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Cavelcade posted:

Solaire doesn't hollow out either way, he just goes crazy. That's why he's still chatty when you run into him. If he doesn't get the bad end, he makes it all the way to Gwyn, becoming his own sun.
Losing your mind is like the most important aspect of going hollow though. I just assumed he wasn't so far gone yet that he was mute(or looking like a zombie). Obviously how exactly it works varies from character to character, you have some who have lost or are losing their minds but look human(map guy in ds2 is another example aside from solaire), some who look like a zombie but can still mostly talk and reason(like ds1 moss lady), and some(especially enemies) who look like a zombie and also have lost their mind and speech.

And Tyler Too! posted:

Pretty good in PvE but not as good as ds1 and it takes a while to get offensive stuff. Extra healing won't hurt of course.

later on sunlight spear and lightning arrow smash dicks in the dlc and pvp

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

And Tyler Too! posted:

Honestly pyromancy is better. Pyromancy is really good in this game outside of the tiny handful of bosses that resist fire.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Nuebot posted:

Honestly pyromancy is better. Pyromancy is really good in this game outside of the tiny handful of bosses that resist fire.

Yeah, pyro isn't vastly better than the other magic schools in the long run but it reaches a very high level of power quite a bit earlier than them which means it's better for most of the game. Then you hit Ringed City and haha eat poo poo filthy swamp wizard

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

skasion posted:

Yeah, pyro isn't vastly better than the other magic schools in the long run but it reaches a very high level of power quite a bit earlier than them which means it's better for most of the game. Then you hit Ringed City and haha eat poo poo filthy swamp wizard

Well I mean, Great Chaos Fireball and Chaos Bed Vestiges are both super easy to get and spam and they do spectacular damage against most enemies with very little cast time too. When it comes to sorceries your soul spear isn't quite as strong and you don't really get the crystal magic stuff until you reach grand archives which is near the end of the game.

Faith is just kind of frustrating because you don't have too many great ranged options.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

How important is the scaling for pyromancers?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

skasion posted:

pyro is actually definitely way better than sorceries and also stays good forever

black flame and chaos bed vestiges are killer and demon's scar is sick

Jay Rust posted:

How important is the scaling for pyromancers?
you wanna hit 40/40 faith/int

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

skasion posted:

Then you hit Ringed City and haha eat poo poo filthy swamp wizard

More like haha pick two flavours of magic or lightning and stomp midir because that sucker doesn't have a gas mask.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Sorceries and miracles have utility spells that no one gives a poo poo about. Pyromancy is raw damage so it is a more satisfying school of magic.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
using sacred flame on ringed knights :ssj:

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

IronicDongz posted:

using sacred flame on ringed knights :ssj:

gently caress it, does using Aldrich's Sapphire still give you FP back when you use sacred flame? That's better than flailing at them with a dark followers saber.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I have no idea if it actually counts as a critical attack. It does mondo damage if you learn when it can be safely done against them though, and if you learn the timing you can sacred flame them right after they get up from a backstab or parry(the timing is tight because you can't sacred flame something for a short period after it gets up from a crit for some reason, but you can still grab them before their attack after getting up comes out).

So you can backstab them after they attack, then grab em and explode em a split second after they get up. ultra combo

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Finally got home to try out my new glasses on my gaming PC!

Hooooly poo poo lol I knew my PC ran good, but I didn't know it ran this good! I mostly kid but the last time I got new glasses was probably over 4 years ago (when I got off my parent's insurance) and the effect is pretty loving massive, even if I could scooch up close to see all the details. It's sharp as poo poo!

Dark Souls 3 looks so loving pretty....

E: Are glasses one of those things we take for granted as a species?? woah dude...

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 05:58 on May 12, 2017

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

What the hell was the deal with Benhardt meeting you in the Giant's Memory and not acknowledging this fact in even the slightest?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Augus posted:

What the hell was the deal with Benhardt meeting you in the Giant's Memory and not acknowledging this fact in even the slightest?

It was a memory.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Augus posted:

The flow of time is convoluted

ha ha ha ha!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Augus posted:

He got lost

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Augus posted:

No he does recognize you that's what's even weirder about it.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Finally got most dlc things done on my current solo playthrough character and jumped into the next ng (i totally forgot they called it "journey") to fight some of my favorite bosses again and i'm enjoying how maxed out sellsword twinblades (resin applied to taste) tear through most early bosses, i made it to Pontiff in like 30-40 minutes on cruise control while unlocking various shortcuts and ignoring a few bothersome invasions. Felt pretty much invincible.

And then of course Pontiff just stops me dead in my tracks and combos me to death without me scratching him. :allears: I missed that guy, feels like it's launch day again.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

No he does recognize you that's what's even weirder about it.

Yeah I know he does recognize you but he's just like "Hey how's it going? Fine weather we're having today huh?"

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Yeah it's bizarre. He's also a summon for the final fight. Is he suppose to be following the same path as you? Aldia keeps saying how unique you are

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Augus posted:

Yeah I know he does recognize you but he's just like "Hey how's it going? Fine weather we're having today huh?"

A lot of the DS2 NPCs don't have much of anything to say about where they are or what they're up to at the moment. There's some exceptions but Lucatiel never comments on her location whatsoever for example, even in Black Gulch she's too busy raving about her brain problems. I suspect it's because they wanted to be able to put characters wherever they thought would be good without being beholden to any plot points.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Honestly, Benhardt taking everything in his stride and not thinking any of this weird is kinda in character for him. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Shoutout to my main dude HaB for helping me farm Vertebrae Shackles

:hfive: