Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

If only that applied to humans too :smith:

humans just get lighter and smaller as they approach their 90s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The blackbird is the prettier busa and the busa is the faster blackbird.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
If anyone else is wondering, I was just looking and they were imported to the states until 2003, but sold in Europe through 2007.

I don't know that I've ever seen one in the wild.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

God drat the Blackbird is nice looking. Reminds me of my old '93 CBR1000F, but sexier. I loved that bike.

(i miss you, you steel 600lb piece of poo poo.)

content : cleaned the garage last weekend to move the girls back in together for the season. and now, 2 weeks of steady rain :(

Nerdrock fucked around with this message at 14:50 on May 5, 2017

Evil the Cat
Oct 18, 2001

make that shit sound like rock music!

Its going to rain all weekend!

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Evil the Cat posted:

Its going to rain all weekend!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H93kPnDQEqA

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

relevant username

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Re feet chat, my coworker bought a 450 motard. He's a scrawny 20 yo adrenaline junkie know-it-all, and doesn't have any kind of motorcycle category on his drivers license. I tried to talk to him a bit about protective gear and that went about as well as I expected. I tried.

Two weeks later, I'm away at a conference when he calls me and, between moaning and whimpering, tells me he's in an ambulance and he thinks he's broken his foot. Turns out he broke his right foot and cracked his left. Two operations later he's gonna be on sick leave for 10 weeks.

For protective gear, he wore a helmet and nothing else, and as far as I can tell from the info I have, he was practicing wheelies at very low speeds and somehow got his foot caught between the spokes and the swing arm. I told him I thought it was a bad idea to use the back pegs for wheelies. :colbert:

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Go get a big fat wreath with a card that says "I told you so" and have it delivered to his hospital room.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Yay, new bike day!

Unfortunately, it's a rainy day and no plates yet so I've only gotten to ride it around the block, but this thing rips.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
It finally arrived?! Nice bike, make sure you tell your wife thank you.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Koruthaiolos posted:

Yay, new bike day!

Unfortunately, it's a rainy day and no plates yet so I've only gotten to ride it around the block, but this thing rips.

ohhhh my god

dema
Aug 13, 2006

I want both the 701 and the Backbird.

Excellent.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Re feet chat, my coworker bought a 450 motard. He's a scrawny 20 yo adrenaline junkie know-it-all, and doesn't have any kind of motorcycle category on his drivers license. I tried to talk to him a bit about protective gear and that went about as well as I expected. I tried.

Two weeks later, I'm away at a conference when he calls me and, between moaning and whimpering, tells me he's in an ambulance and he thinks he's broken his foot. Turns out he broke his right foot and cracked his left. Two operations later he's gonna be on sick leave for 10 weeks.

For protective gear, he wore a helmet and nothing else, and as far as I can tell from the info I have, he was practicing wheelies at very low speeds and somehow got his foot caught between the spokes and the swing arm. I told him I thought it was a bad idea to use the back pegs for wheelies. :colbert:
Stupid human does stupid tricks, wins stupid prizes.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
God drat do people on here ever have fun? We're now getting lovely at people for practicing wheelies properly?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

nsaP posted:

God drat do people on here ever have fun? We're now getting lovely at people for practicing wheelies properly?

The first step to practicing properly would be to wear boots instead of chucks, but ok.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

:woop: A fantastic choice you are gonna love. I can never get over how good the design and color scheme of those is.

Question: How tall are you? You make the 701 look small, and I know husky didn't just shrink the 690.

nsaP posted:

A-T-G-A-T-T
Six capital letters
Printed in gold
Cause working feet make the girls sweat even more

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Jesus wept man. What a colossal dumbass, on every level. I have a buddy that hosed up his foot and ankle, probably for life as it still hurts months later, because he was wearing sneakers in a crash. He now has a pair of hiking boots he wears riding and insists he doesn't need actual riding shoes. :eng99:

I should probably have better than shorty gloves for summer riding, but otherwise I don't understand skimping on gear. It's more fun riding when you don't feel like humpty dumpty, anyway.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Coydog posted:

:woop: A fantastic choice you are gonna love. I can never get over how good the design and color scheme of those is.

Question: How tall are you? You make the 701 look small, and I know husky didn't just shrink the 690.

It's definitely some kind of optical illusion caused by the camera angle/steepness of the driveway. I'm 5'11" and on both tip toes. It's actually more comfortable at a stop than my TR650 just from being so much more narrow. I think people often fail to take width into account when thinking about if a bike is too tall.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Koruthaiolos posted:

Yay, new bike day!

Yesssssssss

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

That husky is just so darn pretty. I love those colors.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Coydog posted:

Yesss! Have mine for 2 months now and I love it. One thing though, do something about the fuel line rubbing the frame near the seat release, here's how I fixed it on mine. I'd describe the built quality as, idk, workmanlike, it's obviously meant to be ridden and abused, not to remain pretty, as evidenced by stuff like the brake lines rubbing the face mask.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I wish they'd start selling the 401 already so I can see by just how much I can't afford one. Such a pretty colour scheme, good god

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

High Protein posted:

Yesss! Have mine for 2 months now and I love it. One thing though, do something about the fuel line rubbing the frame near the seat release, here's how I fixed it on mine. I'd describe the built quality as, idk, workmanlike, it's obviously meant to be ridden and abused, not to remain pretty, as evidenced by stuff like the brake lines rubbing the face mask.

Thanks! I definitely check into that fuel line fix. Also, not sure if you're aware, but they're shipping with a new seat now. My dealer said he was pretty sure they'd be replacing the old ones, so you might want to check into that. The new one has more of a gripper top and no stickers.

What rack do you have? Trying to figure out the best way to setup my Kriega pack.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Koruthaiolos posted:

Thanks! I definitely check into that fuel line fix. Also, not sure if you're aware, but they're shipping with a new seat now. My dealer said he was pretty sure they'd be replacing the old ones, so you might want to check into that. The new one has more of a gripper top and no stickers.

What rack do you have? Trying to figure out the best way to setup my Kriega pack.

I have the Perun Moto rack and heel guards. I made a plastic adapter plate to attach the Kriega rally pack to the rack. It would also be possible to bolt it directly to the fender, but now I can also carry a larger bag in front of the Kriega.

Other mods:
-Removed outer tail section and bolted plate to upper part (adhesive LED license plate light under rear fender)
-Jaybee biker bits fork and swingarm sliders
-Tach + oil temp display
-Lowered the rear brake pedal a ton, needed a longer bolt for that
-Factory tuning kit (exhaust, filter, mapping, emissions removal)

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Sweet bike, Koru; congrats!

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Took the 701 out on the track for the first time yesterday, it's great learning looking at the pictures; when the speed goes up my technique starts to suffer. Sitting too far back and not moving to the side of the seat, not sticking elbow out, leg dangling way too the side. I.e. riding lazily.
Here it still looks ok, apart from the elbow:

Not so good:

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Blackbirds are really nice streetbikes, I did not find the ones I've ridden cramped, but both ones had riser bars. I rode a Busa / Blackbird back to back once, the Busa is more fun/raw feeling, the blackbird is more confidence inspiring. Both are great bikes.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Koruthaiolos posted:

Yay, new bike day!

Oh hell yeah!

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

'17 SV650, just picked it up Saturday and have about 300mi on it so far - it's a very good bike.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Carth Dookie posted:

The Blackbird is one of those bikes I love but wouldn't own because I know that I'd find it too uncomfortable on my back for me to ride and that'd make me bitter and start to hate it.

Maybe if I could afford two bikes. A SV 650 for the weekday commute and a Blackbird for weekend fanging...

If you can tolerate the ride on a SV650, almost anything else is going to be pretty comfortable.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

King of the Beach posted:

'17 SV650, just picked it up Saturday and have about 300mi on it so far - it's a very good bike.

Looks good. That rear fender needs to go though :barf:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

King of the Beach posted:

They're good bikes, birch

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

hot sauce posted:

Looks good. That rear fender needs to go though :barf:

Thanks! It's my second (and first new) bike after spending the last two years and 7500mi on a Honda XL250R, so far it's everything I've been wanting from a bike. Now I just have to constantly remind myself to treat it like a newborn baby unlike the old dual sport which took all my carelessness and idiocy in stride.

That's high on the list of things to do, already impulse bought an Arrow X-Kone slip on and a whole new set of gear while not-very-patiently waiting to take delivery (delayed due to ECM recall the day before I was originally supposed to) - now I'm just waiting for my bank balance to recuperate a bit so I can pick up a new helmet that will be a bit more appropriate than my trusty, sun-faded FX-39 DS (which I'll definitely still keep around as a "I don't care if nicked helmet") and then I'll likely blow all my Zillacash on the fender kit...and then I should be sorted for a while~

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

You're going to love it over 5k rpm. I just hit 1400km on my '17 SV650 and I'm having a loving ball.

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

Odette posted:

You're going to love it over 5k rpm. I just hit 1400km on my '17 SV650 and I'm having a loving ball.

Oh yeah definitely, I'm sure I've dipped into the 5-7k RPM range a couple times so far and you can tell (also the intake growl has been a nice, unexpected bonus - sounds especially wicked when quickly rev-matching on downshifts).

Did you bring yours to the dealer for the scheduled break-in service or did you take care of it on your own?

I was planning on having it done at the dealer to have it all done by the book and documented but I wasn't planning on it apparently costing up to $200 (at least according to anecdotes I've come across) for what the manual shows to be little beyond an oil change/lube/filter + basic inspection and torquing some bolts - that's like half a new helmet or an additional pair of riding pants!

So unless I'm missing something here I'll just DIY it this weekend when it's raining and save the cash and the trip to the dealer to waste good money for some ape who could probably give a gently caress less about my precious new bike to change the oil as well as also trust that they aren't blindly signing off on the checklist to get paid and move on to the next RO or be revving the poo poo out of it for shits and giggles in the shop. Nah thanks, I'm good. :)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah do the stuff yourself.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yeah do the stuff yourself.

I couldn't do it this time due to time constraints. I do almost all basic maintenance myself but because I'm renting, I can't really do any of the stuff that needs space.

Evil the Cat
Oct 18, 2001

make that shit sound like rock music!

omg you'll catch a cold

PuntCuncher
Apr 21, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
Blackbird and I have been getting acquainted this week.

I love the cockpit and seating position. Plenty of room to move, comfortable for miles and the wind protection is awesome. Instruments are great, easy to read and there's a clock. Don't think I've ever had a clock on a scoot before.

The brakes feel pretty ordinary to me, need to get the local Honda guru to turn a spanner on them and give the whole thing a once-over.

Motor has 107,000klm on it and feels really solid. Pulls effortlessly up to license shredding territory.

Best thing about it is how much time it's taken off my commute. I've managed to half my travel time each day, even more on a "good traffic" day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
Taped and ready to go on Sat.