Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

White Rabbit posted:

How the gently caress am I supposed to feel watching Alien now?

You can feel however you want about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
There seems to be a whole bunch of people who hate Prometheus for all the wrong reasons and another bunch that like it for all the wrong reasons. :smuggo:

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i think that even if alien cov does suck, alien OG will probably survive just fine

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
What's Covenant called in Japan? Ariyen Cabinet? I could really go for an Aryan Cabinet.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Oram walked in on David trying to tame the Neomorph that had killed a bunch of his friends and was moments earlier feasting on a very visible decapitated corpse. Oram trusting David after that was moronic, particularly as the scene setup was so comically villainous. Hadn't Oram ever seen a movie?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

idk they might be against his religion?

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
I read a blurb by the writer John Logan that Covenant is like Wizard of Oz meets Hammer's Frankensteins, is this accurate? Cuz it's getting me stoked

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Shaocaholica posted:

There seems to be a whole bunch of people who hate Prometheus for all the wrong reasons and another bunch that like it for all the wrong reasons. :smuggo:

I want to hear the "right" reasons to like Prometheus.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

it looks cool
it makes you happy to watch
fassboners
charlize gets crushed by a big space wheel
idris maybe fucks a robot
literally any other reason

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Timby posted:

This is precisely the reason. The studios discovered that movies were being sold at the street markets within days of their North American release, particularly in eastern Europe and China, and so they flipped their release schedules around. The US is rather frequently among the last to get a release.

Is it considered easier to bootleg a movie in a theater in the US compared to those places or something?

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Tenzarin posted:

It's funny and scary and beautiful

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

White Rabbit posted:

It's as much of a trainwreck as Prometheus was, with even more clinging to the original films, clearly just selling out the franchise; its soundbites, its creatures, its dark and mysterious mythology - everything must be explained!! With surgical precision and in broad daylight.
None of this sounds like any of the complaints about Prometheus to me.

Beyond people not liking the "reveal" of what the Engineers look like, what was overexplained? Or are you saying Covenant is just as bad but for completely different reasons or something.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

If only there was some kind of website that aggregated reviews. What a world we would live in!

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Electromax posted:

Is it considered easier to bootleg a movie in a theater in the US compared to those places or something?

The implication seems to be from the other angle, that its those foreign markets where the bootleg DVDs appear on market stalls and, because the locals are forced to wait for the movie release, they buy them and then don't go to the movie when it is finally released. Americans on the other hand are too discerning to lose out on the theatre experience and/or dodgy market stalls don't exist in numbers to damage box office receipts.

Which all seems like nonsense as just everyone torrents and goes to the cinema in whatever numbers globally regardless but I dunno.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Tenzarin posted:

The same year they made a movie from the board game movie Battleship, Ridley Scott topped them with a movie from the board game Don't Wake Daddy.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Despera posted:

If only there was some kind of website that aggregated reviews. What a world we would live in!

How would that help answer his question?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Just watched alien, why does Ripley have a bloody nose right before ash attacks her? I never noticed that til now.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Kingtheninja posted:

Just watched alien, why does Ripley have a bloody nose right before ash attacks her? I never noticed that til now.

space cocaaaaaaaine

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Schwarzwald posted:

How would that help answer his question?

Because reviewers would give reasons they liked the movie. Then when there were multiple reviewers saying that something was positive then you would have the right reasons to like it. Any more questions?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Despera posted:

Because reviewers would give reasons they liked the movie. Then when there were multiple reviewers saying that something was positive then you would have the right reasons to like it. Any more questions?

Yes. Why do you think multiple people sharing an opinion makes it more "right?"

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 03:25 on May 12, 2017

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012

Kingtheninja posted:

It's from a scene that was cut before it was filmed:

Alien Wiki posted:

Another lengthy scene cut during filming was to have Parker encounter the Alien near the Nostromo's main airlock when he goes to refuel Dallas' flamethrower. The creature does not see him, and he quietly contacts Ripley and Lambert on the ship's bridge, telling them to slowly open the inner airlock door. They do so and a spinning green light apparently mesmerises the creature, luring it inside the lock. Parker orders the airlock opened, but as Ripley shuts the inner door and opens the outer one an alarm sounds and scares the creature away. As it flees, its arm gets caught in the inner airlock door as it closes, tearing it off.[ Parker is knocked unconscious by the Alien as it runs away. Ripley goes to investigate and when she arrives, the blood spilled from the creature's severed arm finally burns through the inner airlock door, decompressing the area. A safety bulkhead supposed to separate Ripley and Parker from the breach gets jammed by one of the cylinders of flamethrower fuel Parker had been carrying, trapping them in the decompressed area, but Ripley, blood frothing out of her nose and ears, manages to free the obstruction.

Lambert and Ash arrive to give the wounded crewmembers oxygen. Ripley accuses Ash of setting off the alarm and alerting the creature, and intends to prove it by accessing MU/TH/UR.

It appears in the novelization and IIRC one of Alien: Isolation's DLC levels was based on it.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Schwarzwald posted:

Yes. Why do you think multiple people sharing an opinion makes it more "right?"

Because the more people it convinces the likelyhood of it being a persuasive argument increases.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Despera posted:

Because the more people it convinces the likelyhood of it being a persuasive argument increases.

If there are "a whole bunch of people who hate Prometheus for all the wrong reasons" then having a lot of people believing something clearly does not make it right, regardless of persuasiveness.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 03:33 on May 12, 2017

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Logic

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Horrible Taste posted:

It appears in the novelization and IIRC one of Alien: Isolation's DLC levels was based on it.

Surprisingly since they didn't seem keen on this seen they actually did film some of this (just Ripley and Lambert chatting/then speaking with Parker) along with Yaphet Kotto's voice overs over the intercom, it's with the Quadrilogy/Anthology features.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Schwarzwald posted:

If there are "a whole bunch of people who hate Prometheus for all the wrong reasons" then having a lot of people believing something clearly does not make it right, regardless of persuasiveness.

A lot of people can believe whatever. Its a matter of the majority of people. A larger group than "a whole bunch" liked the movie. My argument isn't if 10 people are convinced it must be true, but if 90 out of 100 are convinced it (a work of art) probably is.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

A lot of people in this thread post similar arguments for the artistry in Prometheus, and I still don't enjoy the film, even with them in mind.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 03:52 on May 12, 2017

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

A lot of people in this thread post similar arguments for the artistry in Prometheus, and I still don't enjoy the film, even with them in mind. I'd be quite concerned if that swayed me.

Most of the reviews, even the negative ones noted that the visuals were impressive. It's your opinion against theirs and there is simply more of them.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Despera posted:

A lot of people can believe whatever. Its a matter of the majority of people. A larger group than "a whole bunch" liked the movie. My argument isn't if 10 people are convinced it must be true, but if 90 out of 100 are convinced it (a work of art) probably is.

That doesn't really address the question of if there is a right or a wrong reason to like a film.

Like, I don't necessarily disagree with you. I just don't see how it's relevant.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Despera posted:

Most of the reviews, even the negative ones noted that the visuals were impressive. It's your opinion against theirs and there is simply more of them.

There's artistry beyond visuals. I didn't have a problem with the production value of the visuals, except that when viewed on IMAX some of the CGI looked absolutely dire.

It's just not a film for me. But reading it as a farce was the only way I got any enjoyment out of any of it at all.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Schwarzwald posted:

That doesn't really address the question of if there is a right or a wrong reason to like a film.

Like, I don't necessarily disagree with you. I just don't see how it's relevant.

I dont see what's wrong with saying most people liked it because of x.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I am really interested in the "right" reasons to like Prometheus, maybe I'm watching it wrong.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I think we're going in circles.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

I am really interested in the "right" reasons to like Prometheus, maybe I'm watching it wrong.

Maybe I'm reading your posting in the wrong way

Despera fucked around with this message at 04:46 on May 12, 2017

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Schwarzwald posted:

I think we're going in circles.

If right in this case means a moral or factual certaintude then of course nothing in art is right. If you wanted a plausible reason to like something then a hundred reviews isn't a bad place to start

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

alf_pogs posted:

idris maybe fucks a robot

There was a long derail in the Prometheus thread about how unrealistic it was for them to want to have sex.
What a thread.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The same year they made a movie from the board game movie Battleship, Ridley Scott topped them with a movie from the board game Don't Wake Daddy.

Nice.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Please don't hide the hidden artistry of Prometheus from me.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Tenzarin posted:

There really isn't anything deep or that interesting. It explores some themes of parenthood and godhood and like what if your kid grows up to be stronger than you and think you are dumb? That's about it. There's some almost interesting stuff with David but other things have explored the idea of "artificial persons" and their relationship with their creators in much more interesting ways. It's a token checkbox for "has a theme beyond the obvious body horror and monsters if you aren't blind" but there isn't much to it.

It's a pretty movie, it has some spooks and some scares and some gross stuff. It has some spaceships and some very light "world building". It just doesn't do any of them particularly well other than looking nice.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Tenzarin posted:

The one time I almost enjoyed it I had mild concussion. So you could bang your head on a table for a while, that might do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

You know what's fun? The rare time I watch a movie I've never heard of, it isn't been "spoiled" and there's no hype about. A while ago I watched "Pandorum" and I had no idea about it. I knew it was some sort of space horror thing, I had a vague memory of people saying it was awful but I'll watch any space thing. You know what, I loved it. It didn't do anything wrong, had an interesting twist, and I enjoyed it throughout.

By the time I even saw Prometheus it was way after it had been in theaters and all I heard was how awful it was and every "plot hole" had been talked to death already. I think I would have enjoyed it more if I had known nothing about it and it had no official or obvious connection with the alien franchise.