Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Pavlov posted:

Homestuck was such a weird phenomenon. It was so big, and it fanbase was so fervent, but it's like it was only being sustained by the author's break-neck pace. There are some fanbases that seem to stick around, but this one just vanished when the updates did.

it might have fallen off the map with the slightly more regular crowd, but hoo boy let me tell you a lot of people are still loving obsessed with that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
They just all went underground because they realized nobody else cares.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

it's all AU and roleplayers pretend loving each other now

much like Undertale

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
The main difference is that Undertale was a single experience that had a definite beginning, middle, and end and delivered its entire payload in a reasonably compact way, and Homestuck was basically the opposite of all of that. Homestuck had great parts and terrible parts, as opposed to Undertale, which was basically great start to finish.

I'm not sure why anyone would expect people to still be super interested in a comic that's over? I mean, it's definitely over at this point. The game, when it appears, will be something else in the same setting. I expect a lot of people will grab it out of curiosity if nothing else. It's not going to capture the same sort of audience, though; Homestuck was interesting because it was innovative in terms of the way it made use of the medium, whereas the game is probably going to mostly be a game. It's harder for them to break new ground there.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Crocoswine posted:

it's all AU and roleplayers pretend loving each other now

much like Undertale

Undertale kind of went insane for the exact opposite reason where the actual content was so limited and short people had to get their fix from 50x layers of skeleton AUs.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

mycot posted:

Undertale kind of went insane for the exact opposite reason where the actual content was so limited and short people had to get their fix from 50x layers of skeleton AUs.

Which is doubly weird because one of the major themes in undertale was 'leaning to let things go'.

I didn't expect the homestuck fanbase to be anything like it was in it's prime, but a lot of really popular fanbases kind of linger on for a while. The homestuck one just loving cratered though. I barely even see people reference it anymore, outside of niche threads on dead messageboards.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

HorseRenoir posted:

That Homestuck kickstarter is one of the most disastrous comic crowdfunding projects I've seen in a while, in terms of being an unruly fiasco that killed off interest in the comic it was based on

So I never followed Homestuck other than hearing "oh its fans are crazy" all the time, but what's all this about crazy people and kickstarters?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

TwoPair posted:

So I never followed Homestuck other than hearing "oh its fans are crazy" all the time, but what's all this about crazy people and kickstarters?

The core root of the disaster that is the Homestuck kickstarter was that the developers they hired to make the video game ran off with the money they paid them and went to work on King's Quest instead. The full details of how this happened are unknown, presumably due to a settlement agreement preventing Hussie from talking about it, so we don't even know how much money they managed to get back or what the final budget of the game ended up being.

That said, at this point I'm not sure whether not getting ripped off would've helped matters because the team working on the game has been absurdly non-communicative. They've claimed certain things as release dates, which have then passed with not so much as an update. Andrew Hussie himself barely seems to be involved in the game any more, with the project instead being run by some other dude. It's basically all just a mess and they don't explain anything of what's been going on so people just sit around wondering if we'll ever see anything.

Personally I think maybe they should've just cancelled it after that initial massive setback, if I'm gonna be out the money either way I'd rather not keep waiting for something that isn't gonna arrive. But I'm sure that would've made other people angry so who knows. If they'd just set up a good line of communication instead of maintaining stony silence for months on end maybe everything would be viewed in a better light.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

They had a Kickstarter to make an adventure game based on the comic, which got about two and a half million dollars. Original delivery was estimated for 2014. They contracted this out to a development studio who, as far as anyone can tell, just kind of decided they didn't feel like making the game, and used the money to do other stuff. Eventually Hussie decided that it would be a better option to just hire some programmers to build it in-house. The development of that version has missed the original goal of a 2015 release and just sort of dragged on silently with little word about what was going on. They announced last month (really, a couple of weeks ago) that it was coming out soon and posted a trailer for it.

There's a lot of speculation that the huge gaps in the comic were due to Hussie going off to deal with this and do things with the game instead of working on the comic.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

idonotlikepeas posted:

There's a lot of speculation that the huge gaps in the comic were due to Hussie going off to deal with this and do things with the game instead of working on the comic.

Not sure it counts as speculation considering he said so repeatedly.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

The gold standard for "kickstart that's taking too long" is Barkley 2. You only hear something every month or two, but they do keep in touch (and apparently, they ran out of money a long time ago so it's purely running on passion now).

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Straight White Shark posted:

Not sure it counts as speculation considering he said so repeatedly.

Yeah, fair enough. Amend that to "it has been explicitly confirmed that".

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

PMush Perfect posted:

The gold standard for "kickstart that's taking too long" is Barkley 2. You only hear something every month or two, but they do keep in touch (and apparently, they ran out of money a long time ago so it's purely running on passion now).

The Two Guys SpaceVenture (spiritual sequel to Space Quest) predates Barkley 2 by 5 months, and still isn't out. They're relatively chatty with updates (113 compared to Barkley's 33), and the game development seems to be still chugging along. Just more Catch Me Who Can than L0 Series. I'm sure the original kickstarter funds dried up a long time ago.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

I want every scene involving Friedrich to include indifferent babysitting forever more, amen.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Good panel. But, also, clever Poppy.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

The guy doing pixel art for Barkley has a weekly livestream of making sprites for it.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Samuringa posted:

And someone needs to make a complete backup of it ASAP before Hussie destroys it

I think I still have Wizardology around somewhere, which is undeniably his best work.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Samuringa posted:

And someone needs to make a complete backup of it ASAP before Hussie destroys it

I was thinking about this the other day actually: does there exist a simple way to just straight up rip an entire webcomic to your own computer?

I wouldn't be doing this to upload things myself even if the original site ever went down, but there's a lot of old comics that just kind of end and silently disappear from the internet one day and I've been thinking about if it would be possible to archive them and, I dunno, have my own little private library or whatever in case they ever vanish.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

They used to be called 'spiders' I think, not sure if that's still current. Will download an entire website for you to read offline.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's relatively easy if there's a standard predictable url pattern. I've ripped webcomics before to put them in CBZ files for my own benefit.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

I've heard this thing's pretty good:

http://www.httrack.com/

No personal experience, though, and how well it's going to do depends on how the site is set up. (I have previously used a tool called wget to copy websites, but it can be a pain in the rear end if you aren't already comfortable with command lines and such.)

I'd also remind everyone to keep hitting the site if the comic still exists. Ad revenue and all.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Wrist Watch posted:

I was thinking about this the other day actually: does there exist a simple way to just straight up rip an entire webcomic to your own computer?

I wouldn't be doing this to upload things myself even if the original site ever went down, but there's a lot of old comics that just kind of end and silently disappear from the internet one day and I've been thinking about if it would be possible to archive them and, I dunno, have my own little private library or whatever in case they ever vanish.

There are programs that are explicitly for local copies of websites that usually break due to CSS. However if all you want to do is rip an entire website just to extract the images from each page there's a ton of things that'll do that.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Neat! Thanks guys.

idonotlikepeas posted:

I'd also remind everyone to keep hitting the site if the comic still exists. Ad revenue and all.

Oh, absolutely. I'm not considering doing this for anything currently updating, just for really old stuff I remember reading back in high school in case the author decides it's been long enough and just lets the domain lapse.

Speaking of old webcomics though since I don't remember anyone else mentioning it yet, anybody remember Bigger than Cheeses? I've been following the Facebook page since it ended way back when and the author decided to put up a Patreon to help with server costs recently. It doesn't look like the comic's returning or anything, but he's been drawing a comic every week or so for donators for their trouble. It's not much, but I kick him a couple bucks a month to help out since he's a cool dude.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

idonotlikepeas posted:

I don't have a lot of things in the adblocker whitelist, but Project Wonderful is one of them.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Poppy O'Possum: Minorities in desperate poverty are being kidnapped, and blackmailed by the mafia to smuggle illegal drugs. The main character's daughter has come to the crushing realization that some dreams will always be out of her reach because of who and what she was born as. The government conspiracy to keep people in the dark about things is so powerful and entrenched that they've made formalized tiers of how ignorant to keep people.

Also, the main character is a possum who is in a super cute gay relationship with a fox princess!

Morbi
Aug 7, 2013

CONTRABAND
Now hold on just a second
The fox is a queen

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Morbi posted:

Now hold on just a second
The fox is a queen
Yes, but "fox queen" has very different connotations than "fox princess". When describing your comic to a hypothetical potential reader, I would use the latter, just to highlight the contrast, even if it's technically inaccurate.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
The Poppy/Kit stuff is the worst part of the comic.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Oxxidation posted:

The Poppy/Kit stuff is the worst part of the comic.

Nah that's silly. Besides the fact that it's cute and decent representation, there's a good amount of issues to explore in the relationship. Class divide, Poppy's mortality, whether it's really sunk in for Kit yet that she's signing up to be a mom, etc.

It's good storytelling material. Well, that and it seems like the broader strokes story arc of Poppy O'Possum relies on Poppy's connection to the Queen being the catalyst for her introduction to a wider, more adventurous world.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Eh, I like Poppy and Kit as a platonic pairing, but their relationship is basically a young woman dating a homely fifty year old - I know Poppy is only 20, but then Lily has grown enormously both physically and mentally in under three years, so they obviously don't match human maturity rates.

I don't hate it, because Poppy and Kit are a fun pairing, but making it a romantic pairing rather than being close friends doesn't really work for me, regardless of any story threads you can pull out of it.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 00:01 on May 12, 2017

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Ok, I'm trying to keep an open mind here, but: what is the appeal of Poppy in general supposed to be? Enough people in this thread won't shut up about it that I gave it a read and it's decent-to-good, but I really don't see the hype. Did this thread just turn into a giant furry honeypot or something?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It is a good web comic

People enjoy to talk about it

:ms:

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Straight White Shark posted:

Ok, I'm trying to keep an open mind here, but: what is the appeal of Poppy in general supposed to be? Enough people in this thread won't shut up about it that I gave it a read and it's decent-to-good, but I really don't see the hype. Did this thread just turn into a giant furry honeypot or something?

It started when every other goon-liked webcomic got exiled from this thread because they got their own threads.

Then people stopped making new webcomic threads because they realized somehow it invariably either causes the discussion or the webcomic itself to turn to poo poo.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Check Please got a real-rear end website, not just a tumblr. I think it also joined Hiveworks, if it wasn't part of it already.

http://checkpleasecomic.com/

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

mycot posted:

It started when every other goon-liked webcomic got exiled from this thread because they got their own threads.

Then people stopped making new webcomic threads because they realized somehow it invariably either causes the discussion or the webcomic itself to turn to poo poo.

Kill Six Billion Demons is still :perfect: :colbert:

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Kill Six Billion Demons is still :perfect: :colbert:

Didn't that thread end up exploding because people got really mad the main character got a love interest? Or something like that?

I'll read KSBD someday I swear.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

mycot posted:

Didn't that thread end up exploding because people got really mad the main character got a love interest? Or something like that?

I have no idea what you're talking about here, the story starts at 'rescue kidnapped boyfriend'. The thread is mostly people exploding about how crazy the artwork is.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

mycot posted:

You might be thinking about Strong Female Protagonist, which hit its "oh gently caress this" threshold and entered full mock-thread territory a while ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The K6BD thread is, however, regularly reminded that someone really doesn't like Clevin.

• Locked thread