Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Switching my vote to Whirlwind

Saw the changes and it looks pretty solid, if we can focus in on Dos Santos we're golden, lets finish this thing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Dance Officer posted:

Nah. This is just the first mission where we get to tackle several objectives, but lack the resources to prosecute all of them. This is why we're seeing ~4 different strategic approaches.

My goal is to offer more objectives than we have assets to accomplish it. I like to give options that are bad, less bad, and worse. It's more fun that way.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
If it proves necessary we can always do objective shadowban next op. That bridge ain't going anywhere.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Fun with Photoshop Mk2

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Grabbed Bombed by the Goonies.

Is it improper form to vote for my own plan, or is that assumed? :v:

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
When you're hanging over the edge, the most important thing to remember is Don't Cut the Rope.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
It would suck to tell your CO that you lost your platoon of tanks to some dude named Hot Pants.

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013

I got bored so I did a thing.

perfluorosapien
Aug 15, 2015

Oven Wrangler
Cool!

So, what happens if their wings do that in flight? Turn, barrel roll, corkscrew?

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

yurtcradled posted:

Cool!

So, what happens if their wings do that in flight? Turn, barrel roll, corkscrew?

You could always ask someone in Tomcat community

It landed safely. Click on a picture for more information.

Gervasius fucked around with this message at 02:22 on May 12, 2017

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Gatecrasher

Please don't bomb the DRC.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Whirlwind

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
I wanna Reap that Whirlwind!

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

RA Rx posted:

Gatecrasher

Of all the countries out there whose opinions matter, the DRC isn't one of them.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

RA Rx posted:

No-one ever proposed doing that. :colbert:

Anyway, their air force is a dozen rusting Frogfoots, their army is local militia that's more likely to attack each other, their tanks are probably the ones we're blowing up in this op, and their entire navy is one 125 ton gunboat. They're not even worth conquering.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Groggy nard posted:

I wanna Reap that Whirlwind!

Let's give this a shot

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

I'm voting Gatecrasher, specifically because we need to hit the Free State hard enough that they back off our Eastern forces enough that we can transfer the Rangers to the West. They're our most skilled ground soldiers and if they have an unsecured highway they might not be able to get to us in time for the push.

Also as I've said we need to make sure the Free State is in no position to claim legitimacy to the UN, and if they're seen as "allies" to Von Hoff they may be able to claim some territory, most importantly Cabinda which provides 60% of Angola's oil. That cannot happen if Angola is to have a unified and positive future.

Plus gently caress Reddit.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Renaissance Spam posted:

I'm voting Gatecrasher, specifically because we need to hit the Free State hard enough that they back off our Eastern forces enough that we can transfer the Rangers to the West. They're our most skilled ground soldiers and if they have an unsecured highway they might not be able to get to us in time for the push.

Also as I've said we need to make sure the Free State is in no position to claim legitimacy to the UN, and if they're seen as "allies" to Von Hoff they may be able to claim some territory, most importantly Cabinda which provides 60% of Angola's oil. That cannot happen if Angola is to have a unified and positive future.

Plus gently caress Reddit.

Im banking on the fact that the Free State's troops will be unpaid and leaving soon, making the Free State some white tourists as opposed to an actual force to sit at the table.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
Gatecrasher

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

Gatecrasher it lets the counts ground force be able to push forward in the mos efficient way

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

Loel posted:

Im banking on the fact that the Free State's troops will be unpaid and leaving soon, making the Free State some white tourists as opposed to an actual force to sit at the table.

Considering how they've been going I suspect you're not wrong in that assumption, I would rather know they were a couple kilometers away from the Highway when they decide to mutiny.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

A lot of cool plans here, tough to choose. I think my heart says Don't Cut the Rope, but my mind insists on

No Time for Seconds

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Loel posted:

As long as they're winning easily they're gonna be a lot more patient with their paymasters.

Something to keep in mind.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

The Sandman posted:

Of all the countries out there whose opinions matter, the DRC isn't one of them.
If we were the United States, maybe. But we're mercs flying for one side of a civil war.
The DRC:
1) Is a (technically) neutral country. Doesn't matter that they're letting Free State forces move through their territory, the international community regards them as such.
2) Is, unlike the Free State, an actual country, with its own military that are likely to be more motivated than the Free Staters, especially after we've attacked them.
3) Is a member state of the United Nations. You know, those guys who are sending a carrier group to shut us down? And before you all go 'well it's not like they can escalate much further', the ROE is the only thing that's going to let us the Chinese let us leave Angola alive. If they change that, we're hosed. And don't forget, they can impose impose sanctions on Free Angola, so we can kiss those Lithium stipends goodbye. And, of course, they're the ones deciding the future of Free Angola.
4) Is a member state of the African Union. You know who else is a member of the African Union? Literally every other country in Africa. Now I'm guessing Dos Santos probably doesn't have many friends there or they would have intervened in the conflict already, but I imagine they're all somewhat skeptical of Von Hoff coming in anyway.
Lemme quote something to you quickly:

Wikipedia page on the African Union posted:

Article 4(h) of the Constitutive Act, repeated in article 4 of the Protocol to the Constitutive Act on the PSC, also recognises the right of the Union to intervene in member state in circumstances of war crimes, genocide and crimes against humanity. Any decision to intervene in a member state under article 4 of the Constitutive Act will be made by the Assembly on the recommendation of the PSC.
So, what happens if the AU puts together their own force of peacekeepers and comes at us out of Namibia? You know, potentially going right for the Free Angolan capital? Or in the East? We don't have the troops to spare to fight a war on two fronts.

So let's recap:
Shadowban:
1) Will anger the DRC, who are likely going to be a far more dangerous and motivated opponent than the Free State ever were (and Free Angola won't be able to defeat them before the Chinese arrive)
2) Will piss off the African Union, who could launch a peacekeeping mission against Free Angola from our vulnerable flanks.
3) Will piss off the UN, who not only could give China the go-ahead to take a more aggressive stance against us, but also sanction Free Angola, which will massively impede our income (as well as our future employment opportunities).
4) Will probably piss off some of the Angolans we're here to liberate.
5) Will piss off our employer on account of 3), 4), & 5), since those three things are going to damage the cause and long-term prospects of Free Angola, if not doom the whole project. If nothing else, blowing up some very, very expensive infrastructure is probably not going to make him very happy.
6) Will deal the knockout blow...to a force that's basically already on the verge of collapse. It's not like they're overrunning us and we're otherwise powerless to stop them, their own dudes are already looking for a way out. It's overkill.

DONT CUT THE ROPE is, aside from Shadowban, a well thought out plan. Even Shadowban itself, divorced from the geopolitical context of the situation, sounds good in theory.

But it would start the wrong war, at the wrong place, at the wrong time, and with the wrong enemy.

Loel posted:

True, but personally I'd prefer to give them a bit of a nudge first, just to be on the safe side. If it comes to a runoff between Whirlwind and DONT CUT THE ROPE, though, you've got my vote.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
Gatecrasher
Sorry, but attacking a nominally neutral party... when we are mercs... Seems like a great way to (At best) lose legitimacy for Von Hoff in the diplomatic meetings to come. At worst, we would be bringing in another nation that we can't hope to beat before the PRC shows up on Hoff's heads. The redditors are pretty much spent as a force. Doing something like shadowban serves no purpose. At the very least, we should hear from Hoff if he thinks it is a good idea before we launch stuff at the bridge... He is paying the check at the end of the day after all.

Oh and stick me on the pilot list for pretty much anything that carries missiles please. Call sign Zebes if I am in a fighter, or Brinstar if you stick me in a bomber.

PenguinSalsa
Nov 10, 2009
Gatecrasher

Seriously, don't attack the DRC.
(I'm not voting for my own plan since, well, you know.)

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Gatecrasher

I am not that enamoured with the plan itself, but if the alternative is to blow up that drat bridge, then that's not an alternative at all.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Loel posted:

Yooper said straight up that if we don't put the hurt on the free state, they're going to continue fighting.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Dance Officer posted:

Yooper said straight up that if we don't put the hurt on the free state, they're going to continue fighting.

Well it doesn't have to be us specifically, just if things go bad for them. So if the Dictator manages to cut off that link to the DRC border (and thus the capital), they'll come on over to us. If things stay as the status quo as far as the Free State is concerned, then they won't jump ship.

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
Here's the thing about getting the mercs, if we flip them we basically demolish the whole backbone of the free state. The SNCOs are mercs and so is a lot of the officer corps. No army could function with that element torn out of them.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

don't cut the rope

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Whirlwind

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Yvonmukluk posted:

Well it doesn't have to be us specifically, just if things go bad for them. So if the Dictator manages to cut off that link to the DRC border (and thus the capital), they'll come on over to us. If things stay as the status quo as far as the Free State is concerned, then they won't jump ship.

This is wishful thinking.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Dance Officer posted:

This is wishful thinking.

Which part?

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Yvonmukluk posted:

Which part?

all of it

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Really? Seems like the Free State is being squeezed pretty hard by the Dictator, and if we push them back while still being a force to be reckoned with, we should be able to keep the pressure on without needing to resort to Shadowban.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Yvonmukluk posted:

Really? Seems like the Free State is being squeezed pretty hard by the Dictator, and if we push them back while still being a force to be reckoned with, we should be able to keep the pressure on without needing to resort to Shadowban.

Or... the Dictator's troops pull back to the capital because we've been killing all of them before the free state is cut off.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Gotta love it when your actions make the front page of the Times. All sides have been reluctant to strike lithium facilities, but there's been some small disruptions. Well, in a Just-In-Time manufacturing environment a little burp means empty iPhone shelves in Tulsa. Though in all likelihood it has nothing to do with us, but the fact that Apple has a chance to beat the Chinese into Angola as the main stabilizing force and get the Lithium for themselves. This has led to the inevitable Twitter meltdown and even some poetry.

The Free State looks to have secured the final stretch goal, but things are falling apart. A lot of observers are wondering where the money is going as they've raised much more than what's required to hire the mercenaries. You can see for yourselves that poo poo is falling apart.

Though one more faction is coming into the mix. A container ship arrived in South Africa two days ago along with a wing of the F-22 Export models. They lacked any logo except a dim gray T.

Experts are debating the legality of outside organizations fighting a war against each other over the mineral rights of a sovereign country. This has the potential to be the first corporate world war. Can it be contained? We'll see soon enough.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

:fingerkiss:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
Wait, F-22 export models?

We've gotta get some of those.