Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

Oh yeah, people mentioned not noticing anything after adding that thing to the water supply. I have done it yet, but maybe drinking from water fountains gives you psi too after?

That's what it does, and not by an insignificant amount. Once it's done you instantly regenerate a huge chunk of your psi energy from water sources and it becomes the best way of doing so since there are water fountains and sinks all over the place. It also works for water that you get from water coolers, which seems like an oversight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lokee
Oct 2, 2013

The brown sea is dark and full of terrors, but the paywall burns them all away.
Had to make this into a composite image, if their's any more Check it Out references y'all found lemme know.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

Knifegrab posted:

Did you not even read the second line of my post?

Also you editted out how I mentioned the game has spectacular level design.

Fake gaming news

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Kontradaz posted:

Fake gaming news

I am the CNN of gaming journos

Lazer Monkey
Jan 15, 2005

Any one else have the beta patch not fix crash on loading certain levels, hasn't been able to enter neuromod division again since I left it in the beginning.

apparently the betapatch just went live, nothing on my side yet.

Lazer Monkey fucked around with this message at 23:39 on May 11, 2017

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe

Metanaut posted:

Game runs smooth on otherwise highest settings, but turning screen space reflections on makes it look like this:

R9 Nano and the latest AMD drivers.

Quoting this from way back when. This is suddenly happening to me, too. I've had no real problems with the game. Using a nvidia 1070. Tried looking up the problem on steam forums and it's worthless. People just spam any topic. Tried to find a solution on google and it thinks I'm looking for lightning bugs. I can't find anything on it. Only reply in this thread suggested going windowed but that's not doing it. After 40 hours of playing this game it just kinda happened out of nowhere and I can't find a fix.

I do have the latest drivers and have messed with the video settings.

Flubby fucked around with this message at 23:34 on May 11, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Can you try previous version drivers?

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Can you try previous version drivers?

Yeah, guess I will. Running low on options. Maybe Prey is telling me to move on.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Flubby posted:

Quoting this from way back when. This is suddenly happening to me, too. I've had no real problems with the game. Using a nvidia 1070. Tried looking up the problem on steam forums and it's worthless. People just spam any topic. Tried to find a solution on google and it thinks I'm looking for lightning bugs. I can't find anything on it. Only reply in this thread suggested going windowed but that's not doing it. After 40 hours of playing this game it just kinda happened out of nowhere and I can't find a fix.

Turning screen space reflections off fixed it for me. I also had it happen the first time I ever launched the game, but just restarting my PC fixed it then.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Is it just me, or are certain parts of the game way louder than other parts? The cutscene when you first install a Typhon neuromod almost blew out my eardrums.

Lazer Monkey
Jan 15, 2005

Flubby posted:

If it just suddenly happened it might be a cousin of the corruption bug people have randomly been getting, I guess you tried verifying file cache in steam, nvidia just released a hotfix driver....

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe

CJacobs posted:

Turning screen space reflections off fixed it for me. I also had it happen the first time I ever launched the game, but just restarting my PC fixed it then.

Thank you so much. That did it. You probably saved me many more hours of troubleshooting.

enigmatikone
Sep 30, 2009
PC patch is now officially live

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Does the spread of Coral happen in real time? I thought it was plot based but dicking around this playthrough it's starting to be everywhere in the Arboretum

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

Pollyanna posted:

Is it just me, or are certain parts of the game way louder than other parts? The cutscene when you first install a Typhon neuromod almost blew out my eardrums.

People who complain about soundmixing just need to realize (don't look if you haven't finished game) It's only V3.5 of the LG Sim, bugs still gotta be worked out

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Kontradaz posted:

People who complain about soundmixing just need to realize (don't look if you haven't finished game) It's only V3.5 of the LG Sim, bugs still gotta be worked out

Awww I accidentally moused over it. :cry: Oh well...

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 00:39 on May 12, 2017

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Sound mixing might have been changed in the patch but I wouldn't say it's completely fixed yet. Most things sounded right when I was playing with the beta patch last night, but a speech by Alex towards the end had him speaking much louder than everything else.

e: Doesn't help that there doesn't seem to be positional audio. When someone is talking to you the voice comes from inside your head rather than wherever they're standing.

NoEyedSquareGuy fucked around with this message at 00:29 on May 12, 2017

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
Ending chat. Seriously don't mouse over this if you haven't finished.

So - how much of the game is true, and how much is a sim? Alex says that you (the typhon) experienced a sim based on the last memories of Morgan. So what happened in Talos (that is, the game) actually happened, right? Only Morgan failed to stop the Typhon going to earth. Blowing up the shuttle or blowing up the station or saving the station didn't matter.

Except those memories didn't completely happen - the simulation is meant to test if you (the typhon) have learned empathy from the human/typhon merge. So the Operators are either 1) the survivors speaking to Alex via radio or 2) January-like backups, depending on your in-game choices, and they're chilling with Alex and loving with the sim to test your ethics. What am I missing here?

edit: now that I'm thinking about it, if you're a typhon Morgan, you're basically another version of January. A backup moved over to a new system.

edit 2: And here's another thing, I missed this email, why did Simmons install blank neuromods on you?

Asbury fucked around with this message at 00:57 on May 12, 2017

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Rinkles posted:

SS3 is an actual thing actually being worked on btw (lots of industry vets but unproven studio). Avellone also involved in the writing.

The System Shock 3 dev discord actually has a subchannel for feedback about Prey for stuff steal that would be cool to add.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

3Romeo posted:

So - how much of the game is true, and how much is a sim? Alex says that you (the typhon) experienced a sim based on the last memories of Morgan. So what happened in Talos (that is, the game) actually happened, right? Only Morgan failed to stop the Typhon going to earth. Blowing up the shuttle or blowing up the station or saving the station didn't matter.

Except those memories didn't completely happen - the simulation is meant to test if you (the typhon) have learned empathy from the human/typhon merge. So the Operators are either 1) the survivors speaking to Alex via radio or 2) January-like backups, depending on your in-game choices, and they're chilling with Alex and loving with the sim to test your ethics. What am I missing here?

edit: now that I'm thinking about it, if you're a typhon Morgan, you're basically another version of January. A backup moved over to a new system.

edit 2: And here's another thing, I missed this email, why did Simmons install blank neuromods on you?

I think the real Morgan failed to stop the outbreak, most likely by not blowing up the ship due to not wanting all the research to go up in flames. The sim is basically a simulation of all the possible outcomes that could have happened, but there is one reality in the end

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

3Romeo posted:

So January wasn't a real AI. It was a VI following basic programming.

The Operators in the room at the end seem to be able to make choices/decide things, and do so based off what they observed in the sim. The tech for full AI style operators/putting minds in robots wasn't even explored in the sim, so I bet they are real people observing through Operators.

Taking off that consideration.....

Real!Morgan likely saved all of them. They likely came up with a plan to use the Nullwave transmitter, as I doubt January existed in the real world. He and his option to blow up the station seem to have been a part of the sim, not the memories. The Nullwave transmitter likely didn't work in reality. The Typhon spread to Earth and consumed everything. Humanity now lives in bunkers/hideouts. You aren't Morgan. You just got his memories of Talos 1 through an implanted neuromod, then they put you into a sim designed to offer you choices/play through the last big event Morgan remembered. You only got the memories of the Talos 1 incident though, nothing beforehand/probably no personality stuff.

Everything we played through was a sim. From waking up to dealing with the end choice it was all a sim. The only part of the game that's real is when you wake up to Alex and the Operators. You can tell by the Looking Glass versions. Ingame it's 2.0 or so, if you leave by the Escape Pod it's 3.1, and if you finish the game it's 3.5. It's been more then a little while since Talos 1 was destroyed, which is also why Alex looks so haggard.

Your choices in station were meaningless outside of proving yourself to them. If I'm right and everyone survived, they survived because r!Morgan saved them during the real Talos incident.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

ending spoilers: Speaking of the LG, so we have 2.0 in game, 3.1 in the escape early ending, and 3.5 in the 'real' ending. Is the verison different if you go the full murder path? I was told that the ending scene is slightly different and they decide to put you back in on that route, so I'm curious how early/late in the tests that is.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

I really feel like the nightmare could have been done better. It showed up instantly after [mid-story spoiler] I saved all the people in cargo bay and it slaughtered them all before I realized what was going on. It also appeared near the very end of the story when talking to alex on his balcony and it mind controlled him mid-dialogue with its ranged attack or some other bullshit. Apart from that stuff it's still really easy to cheese overall.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

My only real problem with the ending is The Apex doesn't come across as the huge threat everyone acts like it is. It looks big a scary, but it doesn't really do anything. I wasn't expecting a big crazy boss fight or anything, but I was expecting it to flood the station with real nasty threats, like a Nightmare in every zone or something. Instead it just has these slow moving tentacles that are trivial to jog past. Dahl and his murderbots were a much bigger threat than the Apex. The game does such a good job with "show, don't tell" storytelling everywhere else, but the Apex is a real let-down.

That being said, this game is really good. I want to dive right back into a second playthrough (though I'm probably too sappy to do a full-on murder run) but I also think I should go back and actually finish System Shock 2. I've started it like 3 or 4 times but never completed it.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Odobenidae posted:

It also appeared near the very end of the story when talking to alex on his balcony and it mind controlled him mid-dialogue with its ranged attack or some other bullshit. .

:haw:

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
Did I run into a gamebreaking bug here? I am at the Cargo Bay after getting the key in deep storage.

Essentially, I show up in the area after getting there via the spacewalk in the station, kill the Typhon wandering around, get into the safe area with all the survivors. Talk to Sarah, get the quest to get them a turret fabrication plan and make some turrets to help defend the area. Go outside, get the plan. Walk back inside, turn on the power in the cargo bay. Walk to the fabricator, make a turret. Quest updates each time and Sarah says something in a call after each step.

Quest marker is now pointing at the door, but nothing else is happening. I walk back up to Sarah but when talking to her she tells me I have to go get the turret plan and turn on the power, which is like three quest steps behind where I am. Nothing else is happening.

Am I screwed here? What did I do wrong?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Meiteron posted:

Did I run into a gamebreaking bug here? I am at the Cargo Bay after getting the key in deep storage.

Essentially, I show up in the area after getting there via the spacewalk in the station, kill the Typhon wandering around, get into the safe area with all the survivors. Talk to Sarah, get the quest to get them a turret fabrication plan and make some turrets to help defend the area. Go outside, get the plan. Walk back inside, turn on the power in the cargo bay. Walk to the fabricator, make a turret. Quest updates each time and Sarah says something in a call after each step.

Quest marker is now pointing at the door, but nothing else is happening. I walk back up to Sarah but when talking to her she tells me I have to go get the turret plan and turn on the power, which is like three quest steps behind where I am. Nothing else is happening.

Am I screwed here? What did I do wrong?

Are you deploying the turrets at the marker

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You need to make or find 3 turrets and deploy them at the cargo door.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
Lol and here I was wondering why my army of 6 turrets wasn't doing anything. You have to put them ON the blue square in front of the door?

That's a fair bit more finicky and obtuse then I have come to expect from this game but at least I'm not replaying 3 hours of stuff for no reason.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Specifically, in the big rectangle that says LOADING, directly in front of the door. Amusingly, you don't need to LEAVE them there when it's time to open the door, and it might be a good idea to move them back a bit so they don't get caught in any recycler grenades you might decide to throw.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
It really bothers me that the station on the outside does not match the station on the inside. Worse, stuff you can see out the windows from inside just plain isn't the same as what's outside. I just wasted half an hour trying to get to something I could see fine from inside the station but whenever I went out it wasn't there. Lies!

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Odobenidae posted:

It also appeared near the very end of the story when talking to alex on his balcony and it mind controlled him mid-dialogue with its ranged attack or some other bullshit.

Please tell me he self-destructed on you.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Welcome to my home for wayward still alive staff.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Please tell me he self-destructed on you.

Nah he ran away with a cloud of whatever around his head down the grav shaft and got swarmed by a bunch of cystoids. Alex, you drat fool <:mad:>

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

GlyphGryph posted:

It really bothers me that the station on the outside does not match the station on the inside. Worse, stuff you can see out the windows from inside just plain isn't the same as what's outside. I just wasted half an hour trying to get to something I could see fine from inside the station but whenever I went out it wasn't there. Lies!

Was it the neuromods visible from inside the power plant segment, because that's what it was for me.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Man, I just took a side trip to the Bridge and encountered my first Nightmare.

Scary, right?

First time it died, it bugged out and just sat there while I shot it to death.

Second time it died, I ran away a bit, deployed the turret I caught on the way, and the turret soloed it while I took care of some mimics.

I died a few times in between, but I was a bit disappointed when I finally killed it "legit" on my third time, spending some resources and booze to do it "properly". :nallears:

And that's my 2 cents until I beat the game and expose myself to spoilers.

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!
So how far in is the end of the Restore From Backup mission? I've explored the poo poo out of this game but I feel like main quest wise I haven't done a whole lot

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Golashes posted:

So how far in is the end of the Restore From Backup mission? I've explored the poo poo out of this game but I feel like main quest wise I haven't done a whole lot

That is like halfway through the main questline.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Golashes posted:

I would say about halfway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Oh crap I just realized I have the January is dead achievement. Aaah, how did he die? An alien must have killed him. drat it...