Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ufarn posted:

One fix for bright screens and eye strain is to buy a backlight LED for your monitor. It really helps a lot, regardless of your calibration profile.

For people googling this, the term you want is 'bias light'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Thermopyle posted:

Yes, that is basically my point. My best guess is that people prefer what they are used to. If I spent a bunch of time using calibrated screens I'm fairly sure I'd grow to prefer them.

100% this. We bought a Colormunki for the office, and brightness calibration drops the U2415Hs to 20 or so from a default setting of 80. After a few days of usage it disappears, and going back to 80 looks eye fuckingly bright.

I have to believe not staring into the sun is better for your eyes in the long term.

Sole Survivor
Aug 21, 2009
I've decided on getting an Ultrawide 1440p (unless someone has a compelling argument for getting a 4k monitor for gaming) to pair with my new 1080 ti, but I can't decide between the AOC AG352UCG https://www.amazon.com/AOC-AG352UCG-Curved-Gaming-Monitor/dp/B06X9CBRTP vs the Acer Predator X34 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016GNX4SE/ref=psdc_1292115011_t1_B06X9CBRTP

The AOC monitor is over $100 cheaper and is 1 inch bigger, but it has a VA panel, while the Acer X34 has an IPS panel but I am kind of worried about hitting the 100hz refresh rate overclock. They both seem to have the occasional QC issue but aren't too bad overall.

I am also open to any other suggestions.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Sole Survivor posted:

The AOC monitor is over $100 cheaper and is 1 inch bigger, but it has a VA panel, while the Acer X34 has an IPS panel but I am kind of worried about hitting the 100hz refresh rate overclock. They both seem to have the occasional QC issue but aren't too bad overall.

VA panels have more of a problem with off-angle color shift than IPS (though not nearly as bad as a TN), and that panel in particular has some issues with overshoot that may make it a bit less than ideal when it comes to motion blur. To combat some of the VA color shift, the panel is curved at about twice the rate that the X34 is, so much so that some people are able to see that lines that should be straight are visibly distorted (think the top border of a window stretched entirely across the screen or some such). Whether this bothers you or not is a personal thing. The higher contrast ratio is nice, though, and according to TFTCentral it has slightly lower lag than the X34, but not enough that you're likely to ever notice.

The X34 "overclocking" to 100Hz is all but an artifact of launch days now--virtually every panel hits 100, and if it doesn't, it'll still hit really close to it (will you ever notice 95 vs 100? No). Same with QA issues--they've been long since sorted out. They're fantastic monitors with very few downsides, other than price (check out Acer's refurb warehouse and their eBay store, as well as other vendors like Amazon--refurbs have dropped as low as $700 before).

Considering the expense of either monitor, I'd read up on both of them before you make your choice.

AOC: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/aoc_agon_ag352ucg.htm
X34: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/acer_predator_x34.htm

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
What is the goon recommended cheapest reasonable quality 27" IPS display mostly for work but some games (but I'm not a refresh rate nerd or anything)?

1080p and 1440p options.

cowofwar fucked around with this message at 01:50 on May 12, 2017

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

cowofwar posted:

What is the goon recommended cheapest reasonable quality 27" IPS display mostly for work but some games (but I'm not a refresh rate nerd or anything)?

1080p and 1440p options.

Dude, you're getting a Dell!

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Dude, you're getting a Dell!

He's not wrong. The entire Dell Ultrasharp line is great. You can pick up a U2715H for under $300 regularly.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

If you're looking for cheaper the korean 27" IPS monitors are often under $200. They don't have as nice stands, don't guarantee no stuck pixels and require a dual-link DVI port but mine are all pretty good. If you can spend the extra the Dells are good stuff, though.

For example I don't know much about this particular monitor but it's an LG IPS panel with a Korean company's case and controller board:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Perfect-MicroBoard-R270IPS-27-2560X1440-LG-IPS-Glare-QHD-Monitor/322378391758
The housing is exactly the same as my QNIX and Crossover monitors which are also Korean brands.

zombienietzsche
Dec 9, 2003
I'm not sure that this is in the scope of this thread but what do y'all suggest in terms of monitor arms for dual monitors? Is the Ergotron LX a good idea for dual 25" monitors, Dell u2515h? I'm thinking on price I should go Amazon Basics, but aesthetics leads me to the Ergotron...

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

meinstein posted:

I'm not sure that this is in the scope of this thread but what do y'all suggest in terms of monitor arms for dual monitors? Is the Ergotron LX a good idea for dual 25" monitors, Dell u2515h? I'm thinking on price I should go Amazon Basics, but aesthetics leads me to the Ergotron...

The Amazon Basics ones are very high quality.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

cowofwar posted:

1080p and 1440p options.

It's not 27", but this might be an option if you don't mind refurbished: http://acerrecertified.com/acer-lcd-widescreen-monitor-25-display-4ms-350-nit-60hz-ips-screen-black/

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The Amazon Basics ones are very high quality.

Similarly I just put my Philips BDM4065UC into an Ergotron LX today and it's very nice.

On that note, is there folk wisdom about the best 4k 40"+ monitor? I wanted to buy a match for my one mentioned above, but it's discontinued.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
The Amazon one is "under review" in the UK store for some reason, though: https://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasics-Single-Monitor-Display-Mounting/dp/B00MIBN16O/

Generally, Ergotech (Freedom) tend to have the best, and it's up to you if you want them on one pole together or several.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
I currently work on a 27" 2560x1440 monitor at work and will be working remotely but can't take it with me so I need something comparable. So some options:

Preface: Canadian dollars and can't get acer recertified to Canada but thanks for suggestion

25" Dell U2515H @ $440

27" Dell U2717D @ $630
27" Acer H77HU @ $544

27" Acer k272HUL @ $449
27" BenQ GW2765HT @ $417

I'm thinking the 25" Dell is probably the best bet.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Have you checked out the Dell U2715H? It's usually a bit cheaper than the U2717H (in the US it's ~$275 vs ~$450), so that might be an attractive option.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

DrDork posted:

Have you checked out the Dell U2715H? It's usually a bit cheaper than the U2717H (in the US it's ~$275 vs ~$450), so that might be an attractive option.

Where are you finding the U2715H at $275?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Where are you finding the U2715H at $275?

Used on Amazon or eBay from time to time. Should probably have mentioned that point, since yeah, you're not gonna find a new one for that price (it's about what the 25" version goes for).

e; another option, if you aren't doing color-sensitive work and just need a cheap office-type monitor, would be a S2715H. It's TN, but pretty nice TN, and they should be a good cut cheaper than the other options.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 16:32 on May 12, 2017

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I am looking into a new monitor, I currently have a rather generic 1080p 24" led Samsung and would like to upgrade to a bigger, better display (ideally one that could pivot since I read a lot of PDFs and orienting a 16:9 vertically is awesome for that, thinking 27" @2k resolution? 4k would be too squinty and gpu-hungry I think? I don't exactly have a cutting edge pc) that's good for long gaming / reading sessions without totally breaking the bank.

I don't usually play fast paced games, I spend most of my gaming time on civ6 and EU4 and read a lot of text and spreadsheets so I would rather have a monitor that's well readable, easy on the eyes for prolonged sessions than a "gaming" monitor with 144 hz, 0.5ms response time that I probably wouldn't even notice.

Budgeting around 350-450€ but I have no idea what a good monitor costs so feel free to shatter my dreams

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

TorakFade posted:

I am looking into a new monitor, I currently have a rather generic 1080p 24" led Samsung and would like to upgrade to a bigger, better display (ideally one that could pivot since I read a lot of PDFs and orienting a 16:9 vertically is awesome for that, thinking 27" @2k resolution? 4k would be too squinty and gpu-hungry I think? I don't exactly have a cutting edge pc) that's good for long gaming / reading sessions without totally breaking the bank.

I don't usually play fast paced games, I spend most of my gaming time on civ6 and EU4 and read a lot of text and spreadsheets so I would rather have a monitor that's well readable, easy on the eyes for prolonged sessions than a "gaming" monitor with 144 hz, 0.5ms response time that I probably wouldn't even notice.

Budgeting around 350-450€ but I have no idea what a good monitor costs so feel free to shatter my dreams

Your best choice is going to be a Dell U2715H or U2717D. I'm not sure of pricing in Europe so I don't know if that falls within your budget or not. I know Asus also makes an older model that is decent and fits your needs, the PB278Q, it should be a cheaper alternative if they sell it over there, it's not as good as the Dells but it's still a nice monitor.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Your best choice is going to be a Dell U2715H or U2717D. I'm not sure of pricing in Europe so I don't know if that falls within your budget or not. I know Asus also makes an older model that is decent and fits your needs, the PB278Q, it should be a cheaper alternative if they sell it over there, it's not as good as the Dells but it's still a nice monitor.

It kinda does, the u2715h is 420€ while the u2717d is 600€ (worth the difference? A quick glance at specs seems to say the main difference is LG vs Samsung panel, not sure if it's worth 180€ but my gut says hell no)

For the PB278Q best price I see is 410€ which seems high for an older model..

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

TorakFade posted:

It kinda does, the u2715h is 420€ while the u2717d is 600€ (worth the difference? A quick glance at specs seems to say the main difference is LG vs Samsung panel, not sure if it's worth 180€ but my gut says hell no)

For the PB278Q best price I see is 410€ which seems high for an older model..

At 420€ the U2715H is well worth it, it's slightly older than the U2717D but the U2717D is mostly the same as the U2715H, the PB278Q is much older than both and just not as good, at ~350€ I could see it as a good buy but for 10€ extra the U2715H is a far better choice.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

At 420€ the U2715H is well worth it, it's slightly older than the U2717D but the U2717D is mostly the same as the U2715H, the PB278Q is much older than both and just not as good, at ~350€ I could see it as a good buy but for 10€ extra the U2715H is a far better choice.

I also found the Benq GW2765HT for 350€, stats-wise it looks pretty similar and has marketing buzzwords like "low blue light", "flicker-free" but I have no idea if that is something I should actually care about and I have no idea about the BenQ brand/support, is it any good?

Since I'm buying to keep as long as possible if the Dell U2715H is definitely worth 70€ more, I'd rather go for it. The 3 year full warranty coverage does sound nice and probably worth the extra money alone.

And just to make sure, since I hate squinting and my eyesight isn't as good as it used to be, won't 1440p be too small for a 27" monitor especially for text-heavy use (be it gaming or reading or working)? Space is not an issue so I could go even bigger if needed, but budget is still a concern...

for reference my current monitor is a Samsung S24B350 which is a 1080p TN panel and pretty cheap, so I'm not a discerning connoisseur of high quality monitors, this would be my first real "big purchase" in the field - and there's not much chance to try out things here, I know literally nobody who has a more than 1080p monitor and just seeing it turned off in a store shelf doesn't say much about the actual real-life performance - so sorry for the probably silly questions :)

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
what the hell is 'low blue light' besides setting the color profile to 'warm'?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

TorakFade posted:

I also found the Benq GW2765HT for 350€, stats-wise it looks pretty similar and has marketing buzzwords like "low blue light", "flicker-free" but I have no idea if that is something I should actually care about and I have no idea about the BenQ brand/support, is it any good?

Since I'm buying to keep as long as possible if the Dell U2715H is definitely worth 70€ more, I'd rather go for it. The 3 year full warranty coverage does sound nice and probably worth the extra money alone.

And just to make sure, since I hate squinting and my eyesight isn't as good as it used to be, won't 1440p be too small for a 27" monitor especially for text-heavy use (be it gaming or reading or working)? Space is not an issue so I could go even bigger if needed, but budget is still a concern...

for reference my current monitor is a Samsung S24B350 which is a 1080p TN panel and pretty cheap, so I'm not a discerning connoisseur of high quality monitors, this would be my first real "big purchase" in the field - and there's not much chance to try out things here, I know literally nobody who has a more than 1080p monitor and just seeing it turned off in a store shelf doesn't say much about the actual real-life performance - so sorry for the probably silly questions :)

The GW2765HT is the cheapest of the 27"/1440p/IPS monitors, it's not a bad monitor but I feel the Dell is definitely worth it over the BenQ, I am a bit of a monitor snob though so take that with a grain of salt.

Low blue light and flicker free are real things, both are good features but the Dell has them too and is overall a good step up from the BenQ. Flicker free means that the backlight actually changes brightness instead of flickering at different rates to simulate brightness changes, the flickering that cheaper monitors use can cause fairly severe eyestrain in a fair number of people so it's a very good feature, low blue light reduces shorter wavelength light that the monitor emits without messing up color balance, helping with eyestrain a bit. BenQ has average warranty service while Dell is known to be one of the best, at least over here in the US.

1440p is fine on a 27" screen, about the same PPI as 1080p at 21" which is a pretty standard size/resolution combo, it will be a bit sharper than your 24"/1080p setup but not enough to be a problem.

This ought to be a pretty big step up from your current monitor regardless of what model you decide on, let us know how it turns out! Also your questions are not stupid, they are good ones that you should want an answer to before spending a fairly significant amount of money on a monitor, this thread is here to help people out with questions like this so don't feel bad about asking. :)

AVeryLargeRadish fucked around with this message at 13:53 on May 13, 2017

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I just saw the Asus PB278Q in a big chain store... For 700€. Are they insane or what? Goes to show how much we're behind of the times, every other monitor on display was a bog standard TN under 200€

Almost set on the Dell U2715H, I just have to pass the "family check" to ensure my wife doesn't kick me out of the house for spending too much :v:

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

TorakFade posted:

I just saw the Asus PB278Q in a big chain store... For 700€. Are they insane or what? Goes to show how much we're behind of the times, every other monitor on display was a bog standard TN under 200€

Almost set on the Dell U2715H, I just have to pass the "family check" to ensure my wife doesn't kick me out of the house for spending too much :v:

Tell her it's an investment in monitor equity.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

clamiam45 posted:

Similarly I just put my Philips BDM4065UC into an Ergotron LX today and it's very nice.

On that note, is there folk wisdom about the best 4k 40"+ monitor? I wanted to buy a match for my one mentioned above, but it's discontinued.

I went ahead and purchased another refurbished Philips BDM4065UC I found on woot. Is this thread mostly for discussing smaller monitors?

rsjr
Nov 2, 2002

yay for protoss being so simple that retards can win with it
Is the LG 34UC99-W still the best adult monitor (non-gaming, USB-C)? Is there an alternative from Dell with USB-C? I'm OK with a 27" too. 4K is optional, but USB-C isn't.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Can you guys help me figure out what specs I should be looking for in a new monitor? I'm currently using a 13-year old Dell, so most screens should seem like an upgrade...

I'm in the process of planning out a new computer build and I'll be putting a 1070 in it. Obviously I'll be gaming on the monitor, but I won't be doing anything like competitive gaming. I probably won't even do multiplayer FPS because I'd get my rear end kicked even if I had an elite rig and monitor. I want to do a dual monitor setup and am looking for a couple monitors in the 22-inch through 27-inch range.

I assume I shouldn't get a 4K? I've been thinking 1440 but would I notice with a 1080 instead? What type of refresh rate should I be looking for? I noticed most 1440 do 60hz. Is that fine, or would I be better off with a 1080 with a faster refresh rate? Also, I assume I should be looking for IPS too?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

The Grey posted:

I assume I shouldn't get a 4K? I've been thinking 1440 but would I notice with a 1080 instead? What type of refresh rate should I be looking for? I noticed most 1440 do 60hz. Is that fine, or would I be better off with a 1080 with a faster refresh rate? Also, I assume I should be looking for IPS too?

27" 1440p monitors right now are more or less the "sweet spot" in terms of resolution/price. 4k is doable on a 1070, but only if you're ok with turning many things down and averaging about 30FPS.

Refresh rates above 60 are loving awesome, but expensive. It's up to you whether you think it's worth it, but the general consensus here is "if you can afford it, get it. The difference between 120/144/165 is pretty much academic in practice, so don't worry much about that. Even if you can't actually game at 140+ FPS due to your 1070, the smoothness it imparts on normal day to day driving is noticeable.

IPS is really, really nice. The only TN that gets many recommendations is the S2716DG.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Last sanity check before I go out and pull the trigger on something. I need a new 4K display for mostly work. I game very little and watch some movies. I've narrowed it down to these:

BenQ BL2711U 27" (€550)
Acer H277HK 27" (€700)
Acer Predator XB321HK 32" (€1200)

I would like to get the Predator but I can't justify the price. If I can get for the same price two slightly smaller displays, that's much more useful for me. I can also split the cost of purchase and get one screen now, one later. In addition to whatever I'm getting now, I have one 24" monitor I can use as second/third display.

As far as I can tell BenQ is excellent at desktop use. Thus I could get at least one of those and decide later whether movies/games are worth the extra €150.

What's the smart move here?

eames
May 9, 2009

Hardware calibrated my Dell S2417DG with a Spyder 5 and it looks truly fantastic now, easily on par with HFR IPS panels. One thing I've noticed in the process is that the gamma initially starts way low (avg -0,5 so around 1.7) when the monitor is cold, reaches avg 2.1 after 10 minutes and levels off at avg 2.2 (calibrated) about an hour later.
Perhaps this explains some of the complaints about extremely washed out colors "out of the box", because even without calibration the picture becomes significantly better as the panel warms up.

Calibrated to 6149K (native), 153.3 cd/m² (40%)
Measured black luminance: 0.2081 cd/m² :eyepop:
Contrast 853.9:1
Average Delta E*00 = 0.35
Maximum Delta E*00 = 0.95

The color accuracy is pretty excellent for a $350 1440p 165 Hz panel, although of course it's all a bit moot with TN gamma shift.
If anybody wants the full calibration result with gamma-, gray balance-, white point-curves and gamut just PM.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

rsjr posted:

Is the LG 34UC99-W still the best adult monitor (non-gaming, USB-C)? Is there an alternative from Dell with USB-C? I'm OK with a 27" too. 4K is optional, but USB-C isn't.

If price isn't a concern why not go for the 38" version instead. :getin:

http://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-38UC99-W-ultrawide-monitor

Deep Thought
Mar 7, 2005

rsjr posted:

No, adults may use either a Mac (5k monitor) for elegance or for practicality they may use a 1080p (better for retinas than 1440p) monitor with a mahogany finish and construction.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Went and got a monitor today. Was resigned to purchasing a 27" BenQ, ended up with a 32" Acer B326HK. Been using this for a couple hours and good lord is it nice to have enough screen space.

Now I'm pondering about upgrading to Windows 10 for better display DPI settings. The old 24" I have as secondary display looks like poo poo because it's zoomed to 125% and Win7 doesn't let you set text size per screen. Blah.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

rsjr posted:

32UD99 is supposed to start shipping this month.

I've definitely got my eye on it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I want an adult monitor that is also a gaming monitor.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Thermopyle posted:

The Dell Gsync ones are your best bet there, they look pretty much like any other Dell monitor and while they have TN displays they are the best TN displays you are going to find.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Thermopyle posted:

Sorry, Gaming is for children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.

Thermopyle posted:

Those are called glasses, and you can only play the game of life.