Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

KakerMix posted:

Hey now maybe I'll play Payday

This is where I am. Never played any version of it, but I'd buy it to see how an official triple A VR port is handled.

Edit: Reference for new page,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Payday isn't AAA tho? By the looks of it, it's just a wrapper to let you imitate keypresses, it even seems like you won't be able to even see VR players movements. Really I see almost no merit in it so far.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

SEKCobra posted:

By the looks of it, it's just a wrapper to let you imitate keypresses, it even seems like you won't be able to even see VR players movements. Really I see almost no merit in it so far.

There's positional tracking for the hands and evidently the game menus and some HUD elements appear to have been made diegetic to a certain extent. I'm not sure it's fair to call it a wrapper.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

SEKCobra posted:

Really I see almost no merit in it so far.

Here is the merit ready here we go:

VR CONTENT ON A WELL LOVED AND WELL-PLAYED GAME THAT INVITES VIRTUAL REALITY PLAY WITH THE COMMUNITY AS IT ALREADY STANDS

~Granted~ if it blows it blows, but Payday 2 by all accounts does not and being able to play this game that people really like and still play but in VR is pretty excellent and something that needs to be done more often *especially* with melding it together with the community that already exists. Everyone can play and if you want to play VR you can yay!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Someone on reddit says it will be free DLC.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

TomR posted:

The best VR locomotion is pogostick. You walk around free in your space, but then you pull out a pogostick and start hopping. Whatever direction your hand is facing while you hop is the direction you travel.

Has anyone actually made that? If not, I will.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

Rectus posted:

Has anyone actually made that? If not, I will.

I was joking but go ahead, it could work.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
For those who haven't played Payday 2 and are interested after seeing the VR teaser, there's a huge thread over here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3751994

Forum goon Wilko actually got hired by Overkill a while back thanks to his excellent mod work on Payday 2, resulting in a lot of those modifications ending up in the base game.

If you have a good group to play with it's a really fun game, I can't wait to try it in VR (and likely run headfirst in to something while trying to not get teabagged by a cloaker).

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Huh it looks like Battlezone is coming out for PC VR today. $39.99 on Steam but marked down to $33.99 until May 18th.

Has anyone played the PSVR version? I don't do multiplayer, so does it have a satisfactory single player campaign?

Thanks!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

wolrah posted:

If you have a good group to play with it's a really fun game, I can't wait to try it in VR (and likely run headfirst in to something while trying to not get teabagged by a cloaker).

If you don't have a good group, it's almost impossible to play because you'll get booted from every game for being level 1.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Cojawfee posted:

If you don't have a good group, it's almost impossible to play because you'll get booted from every game for being level 1.
Yeah, I pretty much only play with friends these days, though historically playing with goons has worked out pretty well. Pubbies on the other hand, well there's a reason :pubstove: exists.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Made the mistake of seeing the response in the Payday Reddit thread... Immediately they have people wanting a way to filter VR players because of handicaps, which may not even exist.

I rarely played this without a goon group and I'm sure I never will. Pubbies just go out of their way to make the game harder.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Phuzun posted:

Made the mistake of seeing the response in the Payday Reddit thread... Immediately they have people wanting a way to filter VR players because of handicaps, which may not even exist.

I rarely played this without a goon group and I'm sure I never will. Pubbies just go out of their way to make the game harder.

Does the game even have any single player or can you play with AI teammates?

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

D1E posted:

It does have AI teammates, but they're currently not good for anything besides shooting, although there is an AI revamp in the works that should increase their functionality.

Wintermutant fucked around with this message at 17:03 on May 11, 2017

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

D1E posted:

When I played, we'd roll with an AI over a pubbie. You could yell at them to pick you up and they are bullet sponges. More than 1 wasn't a great experience.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes is a great way to fall out with people and annoy each other with the backdrop of impending death, would recommend.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Has anyone had a whirl at Battlezone? I saw it finally dropped on Rift/Vive and I'm curious if it's got enough content to be worth the price tag.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

MS hand controllers, bundled with the Acer hmd for $400. They look okay I guess, kind of the worst of the both worlds of both Touch and Vive

https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/11/15623152/microsoft-build-windows-mixed-reality-vr-motion-controllers-announce

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Thumbstick and a touchpad? Interesting. Are those lights always visible, that's weird.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Cojawfee posted:

Thumbstick and a touchpad? Interesting. Are those lights always visible, that's weird.

Not like it would bother the player... :v:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

I don't think there are any actual pictures of the thing, at least not that I've found, so idk. I'm not sure if their VR headsets have IR cameras like the Hololens does or if its purely visible light. Not hard to get the impression that maybe these things are kind of an afterthought, tbh.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

PC Gamer had an article on it as well. http://www.pcgamer.com/microsofts-unveils-vr-motion-controllers-for-mixed-reality-headsets/

quote:

Like the ones available for the Oculus Rift and HTC Vive, Microsoft's controllers offer six degrees of freedom, but without the need to install external cameras.

"The motion controllers offer precise and responsive tracking of movement in your field of view using the sensors in your headset," Microsoft's Terry Myerson stated in a blog post. "There is no need to install hardware on the walls around you. We created the controllers as a high-quality and comfortable input device with the same ease of setup and portability as our headsets."

Microsoft's motion controllers look similar to the ones available for the Vive and Rift. There is a ring on top with a spattering of LEDs tracking with the sensors on your face. Underneath the ring sits a panel with an analog stick, a round trackpad, and a menu button. There is also a Windows button and a side grip trigger.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

It's like Leap Motion, but worse!

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

I dunno about you but I don't want to always have controllers up in my face for them to work.

I mean, can they still track if they're at your lap and you're staring straight ahead?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

TheRagamuffin posted:

Not like it would bother the player... :v:

This is apparently for a mixed reality headset, so they player would notice. Maybe there won't be in headset indications of where your hands are so you use the lights to see or something.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

“Within your field of view" tells me that it's likely you won't be able to use behind the head gestures like The Gallery's inventory or most quiver archery games.
Not a deal breaker but it would be disappointing.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

D1E posted:

I dunno about you but I don't want to always have controllers up in my face for them to work.

I mean, can they still track if they're at your lap and you're staring straight ahead?

I'm sure those are IR LEDs like the Rift system right now. They are just illuminated in pictures for effect.

I imagine the HMDs have a number of cameras in the front for a pretty good 180' view, but it's going to be the sides or behind you that are going to be a problem.
You might not think that's a big deal but pretend you are pointing at something with both controllers and then look to one side / over your shoulder and you lose tracking.
Not going to be a fun experience.

In my opinion it's just an early low cost rush to market and not really intended to compete with current tier1 VR experiences (vive and rift and probably the soon to be LG SteamVR unit) but might make it to almost current-gen tier1 status next generation.
However, something cheap next year that gets to the quality almost like current tier1 VR and is Xbox compatible will be a "good enough" VR system for a LOT of people.

rage-saq fucked around with this message at 03:26 on May 12, 2017

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Microsoft Job Listing for a game that we can't play cause these things won't be compatible with our headsets RIP

quote:

Do you love MMOs? Are you excited about Virtual Reality? Would you like every Xbox user to experience your design every time they use it? We are embarking on a bold charter and need your help us take the next step. The Xbox Mixed Reality team is looking for an experienced senior design manager with deep expertise and passion around crafting immersive social systems and experiences. We’re looking to build a massively social gaming and entertainment experience for both the PC and the console. Here is an opportunity to join a fun and collaborative team that experiments with the latest toys, works with state of the art tech, and crafts the future of entertainment.
https://mspoweruser.com/microsoft-creating-massive-mixed-reality-multi-player-online-game-xbox-pc/

bringer
Oct 16, 2005

I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT

homeless snail posted:

Microsoft Job Listing for a game that we can't play cause these things won't be compatible with our headsets RIP

https://mspoweruser.com/microsoft-creating-massive-mixed-reality-multi-player-online-game-xbox-pc/

If it's 1 vs 100 I'll buy whatever system they're selling.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

virtual chris cashman... holy poo poo

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Yo is Battlezone good? Like $33 good?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

AndrewP posted:

Yo is Battlezone good? Like $33 good?

Came here to ask this.

TheMirage
Nov 6, 2002
I bought and played for an hour then refunded it. It's not "bad", but I could tell the game-play wouldn't hold my attention for longer than a couple days. The tank feels nice in VR, and there are skins and weapons to unlock if you are into the grindy sort of thing. There is a random generation to the map and zones, which is cool i suppose but you ultimately are doing the same thing over and over. I'm sure this will be appealing to a lot of people, so I can't say it's not recommended. Definitely better put together than most VR games these days, it just wasn't for me.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

For all the people asking about Battlezone: it came out on PSVR first, you can also search the PSVR thread for opinions.

I didn't get it but the impression I get is that it can be good but is best with good co-op partners.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
I borrowed an Oculus DK2 from a friend. I don't have the rift controllers, but I have an xbox controller. Which free games/experiences are best to try?

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

Cojawfee posted:

This is apparently for a mixed reality headset, so they player would notice. Maybe there won't be in headset indications of where your hands are so you use the lights to see or something.

Microsoft uses the words "mixed reality" to describe both VR and AR so it's useless and confusing as gently caress.

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Boz0r posted:

I borrowed an Oculus DK2 from a friend. I don't have the rift controllers, but I have an xbox controller. Which free games/experiences are best to try?

For seated controller games, I really enjoy Chronos and Defense Grid VR. EVE Valkyrie too, but the reception to that one has been hit or miss overall.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Boz0r posted:

Anything that puts you in a cockpit is basically the ideal case for seated VR with head tracking but no tracked controllers. Driving, flying, mechs, whatever.

Third person view like Lucky's Tale also works pretty well.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.

Wintermutant posted:

For seated controller games, I really enjoy Chronos and Defense Grid VR. EVE Valkyrie too, but the reception to that one has been hit or miss overall.

None of those are free, though, are they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Boz0r posted:

None of those are free, though, are they?

I completely missed "free" in your post, my mistake.