Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Patter Song posted:

Question:

I've been toying with the idea of buying the old Fat PS3 I've seen at my local retro gaming place as a way of getting access to the PS1, PS2, and PS3 libraries in one, but people keep telling me that Fat PS3s are ticking time bombs, unreliable, and will inevitably die sometime in the near future. Is this hyperbole?

Just get yourself a fat PS2 and memory cards for a PS1 as well as a PS2. They're dirt-cheap, and play just about any PS1 game without issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
The only fat PS3s worth buying are the very oldest ones with the most hardware emulation for the PS2. The heavily software-compatible later ones they introduced to cut costs before PS2 support dropped altogether introduce a lot more glitches and flat out incompatibility with PS2 titles - you're better off just running PCSX2 on a PC than using them.

The solder issues and a few bad capacitor issues can be mitigated by having someone with experience replace some components and re-solder others, but that's not going to be worth it in all likelihood.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

In Training posted:

It's probably cheaper to pick up a PS2 and PS3 and have more reliable access to both libraries anyway.

Fair enough. I'll look into a PS2 and a separate PS3, then.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Zamujasa posted:

Does this count? :retrogames:

Had to get the CRT repaired, and bought new joysticks to replace the (too big and also ugly) bat-top ones, but it plays like a dream and people have been having fun with it. Surprising decent little 4-player platformer game, and the music is great, if inaudible above all the sound effects.

This is beautiful, I knew that the SMS game was an arcade game but have never seen one before.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Zamujasa posted:

Had to get the CRT repaired, and bought new joysticks to replace the (too big and also ugly) bat-top ones, but it plays like a dream and people have been having fun with it. Surprising decent little 4-player platformer game, and the music is great, if inaudible above all the sound effects.

I realize it's probably one of the not-greatest ports, but I had this on the C64 and loved it. Good catch on an actual arcade cab!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Zamujasa posted:

I not a big fan of Quartet (I'm positive it would be better if I could get three people willing to play the Sega Ages version with me), but I love the concept and that is a fantastic looking cabinet.

And speaking of obscure Sega arcade games....

First things first, thanks to Kid Fenris for the game. No matter what I say below, I always love checking out the weird and obscure and this game definitely qualifies as both.

Remember that time when everyone was obsessed with trucking video games. No, not last year with Euro Truck Driver. I'm talking about the early 2000's when there was this strange surge in semi racing games. Of course, the best known of them is pretty much the worst of them but there were several more semi games out there. Sega actually seems to be one of the frontrunners in this as 18 Wheeler hit arcades in 2000.

I haven't been able to find any information, but I strongly suspect that this game was built on the Crazy Taxi engine just from the physics and visuals. Unfortunately, it's not a crazy time, and not for the obvious reasons. When they brought this game home I feel that Sega did their best to expand it beyond the really clunky arcade game, but it just didn't work.

Starting with the arcade mode, there's four routes to drive and you have to do them in order. You have a load and a destination and then you take off down the highway trying to hit checkpoints before time runs out. You have a rival trucker who generally keeps pace with you and gets in your way. If you beat it to the destination you get to play a bonus game where you try to park the truck in a narrow spot as quickly as possible. The path branches occasionally and merges back together later so you can take different routes. There's also very rare cars that if you ram then you earn extra time. If the load gets damaged then you earn less money on delivery.

The second mode is a parking game which is similar to the bonus game, though the areas are more open. You drive around arenas with a limited time to reach designated spots and park. If you hit anything, it drains your timer. Oddly enough, I found this the most fun of the three modes I could play, probably because it's slower pace meant that the weird driving model (I'll get to that in a minute) affected it the least.

There's a score attack mode where you get the rig out on a racetrack with traffic and your goal is to complete three laps in time and avoid traffic. There are certain designated cars you can ram for bonus cash and hitting anything else removes you cash.

After about half an hour of not really getting anywhere in the arcade mode, I decided to read the manual to find out if I was doing anything wrong. I wasn't really. You do have to be extremely proactive with the gear shift, but the main way you're supposed to gain time is driving behind other trucks. Do that for three or four seconds and you get a speed boost for drafting behind them. The problem is that you're much, much faster than all the other trucks except your rival already. So you position yourself behind them to draft and suddenly you're boosting (which isn't really that much faster) right into their back end. The rival truck can stay ahead of you but the rubberbanding with it means that it isn't immune to to this problem. Otherwise you just have to drive well and keep things on pace.

I've only been able to get to the first two routes in arcade mode (and seen the finish line for the second), and I've found the alternate paths to be an odd feature. For the first route, the alternate path might as well not even be there. On the second track you have a choice between dirt road and windy city streets and that's pretty neat, though I didn't really feel any difference in driving between the two surfaces.

When you're driving through traffic and slamming cars around 18 Wheeler can feel pretty cool If they made the game around that, then I think I'd like it better. Instead, I find the arcade mode which should be the heart of the game a mix of too frustrating with too little going on. I really had some hopes for this game, too...

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 05:05 on May 12, 2017

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

The problem with bringing 18 Wheeler home is that you lose the novelty of using a giant steering wheel to control your rig.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Wamdoodle posted:

The problem with bringing 18 Wheeler home is that you lose the novelty of using a giant steering wheel to control your rig.

I played it at Playdium back in 2001 or so and remember the cabinet seat rocking and bumping. Not sure what I would think now but 12 year old me thought it was great.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Wamdoodle posted:

A lot of the novelty arcade games from that period were more spectacle than decent game. Though it did take Sega almost ten years to bring Jambo to a home system and I think that port turned out decently.

Apparently there's an arcade sequel to 18 Wheeler, but the game I played was one of the last Dreamcast games and Aklaim did the home ports of that one. So no matter the short comings of this, I can pretty much guarantee that one to be worse.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Random Stranger posted:

Though it did take Sega almost ten years to bring Jambo to a home system and I think that port turned out decently.

I touched it for maybe five minutes years ago and never again but the Jambo Safari game for Wii isn't really a port of the arcade game, is it? I don't even think it was made by Sega.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I touched it for maybe five minutes years ago and never again but the Jambo Safari game for Wii isn't really a port of the arcade game, is it? I don't even think it was made by Sega.

I never played the arcade game, but a few years ago, I fired up the Wii version on a whim and could not put it down for like two straight days, and then I never touched it again. It's worth a try!

Also, that Quartet cab is gorgeous, and that game has The Best Music.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Jambo Safari on the Wii is a big mess of a game where they piled a ton of different things into it and not all of them work. There's several things like the veterinarian mini games that were clearly intended for young children. But driving around and wrangling rare animals is pretty fun! The arcade portions are an arcade game so they're not super deep but I enjoyed them.

EnvyJ
May 4, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

I know we're PAL but I'm always tempted to get a DD just cos

EnvyJ
May 4, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I really hope the Retroarch Wii U PSX emulator gets made then the N64 one comes after, I know compatibility sucks but still it irks me it isn't available

And yeah I know vwii but I hate it

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

My favorite of those big deluxe Sega arcade games was Harley Davidson & LA Riders. Basically just a time attack game where you have to get from point A to point B in LA, I think the routes are randomized each time? Bizarrely the arcade in the lovely nearly-dead mall near me has a full setup, I should go back and play it sometime to see if it holds up

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Random Stranger posted:

I not a big fan of Quartet (I'm positive it would be better if I could get three people willing to play the Sega Ages version with me), but I love the concept and that is a fantastic looking cabinet.

It's much more fun with multiple people, just because the game turns itself into a race to beat the boss. You get bonus points (and life) depending on the order you enter the door. Upgrades are also per-player, so you have to fight it out to see who gets what. But it's really fun, just needs a larger control panel, it's way too cramped with the small one it has unless people stand off to the side, and the joysticks for the outer two players are still aligned with the cabinet, not offset to match the angle someone would be standing at.

Shlomo Palestein posted:

I realize it's probably one of the not-greatest ports, but I had this on the C64 and loved it. Good catch on an actual arcade cab!

Funnily enough my roommate and I were looking for an arcade cabinet to bring home at some point; he has a ton of arcade PCBs (and I have one or two myself :v:)... when we moved to checking Craigslist, this one popped up and for $500 we both went "Welp, guess that's ours now". The guy who was selling it didn't really want to part with it, but he'd replaced all the joysticks and buttons and managed to get them all wrong -- the joysticks were too big for the panel, without enough room to move and trigger, and the buttons were wired up N/C instead of N/O. It was a really obvious problem to us, but I guess he just didn't want to bother trying to fix it.

I checked eBay later to see if anything similar had sold and there was one for $100 more that had a ton more damage on the cabinet, so we got pretty lucky with it. Supposedly the full 4P cab is somewhat rare these days because they kept getting converted into more popular 4P games later on, like TMNT and such.

E: Oh, the board it came with had a problem, too; sprites have horizontal lines through them. I'd like to debug it at some point, but that'd require a good test setup, which the cabinet isn't really good for. Roommate had a board of 4P Quartet before this, though, so he just swapped his in and it works great.

Beanzor
Feb 4, 2005

We dropped turkeys out of planes just to fill up the sky.

And we know damn well that they can't fly.

This is one of my dream cabs. I have *never* seen a complete one in the wild.
Congrats on the find!

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Galloping Ghost has it :v:

Beanzor
Feb 4, 2005

Caitlin posted:

Galloping Ghost has it :v:

I didn't see it on the floor last time I was there. (Oct. 2015)
I'm headed that way next month for a Killer Queen tournament @ Logan Arcade. Definitely planning on going back to GG while I'm in town.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
I was there a few weeks ago and it is there. They've probably added 100-150 machines since October 2015.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
I have a Killer Queen 3 blocks away from both my apartment and work and yet I haven't played it yet. Is it worth it?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
It's multiplayer versus Joust. It's not bad, but it's only really fun if you have a lot of people. One of the latest updates apparently "helpfully" added AI players that you can't disable (aside from just starting them and leaving their spots empty, so they sit idle), which feels kind of dumb.

My biggest issue is that there's just so much going on with 3 different "victories" you have to keep an eye on and there's no real defense against just hugging the ceiling. Having multiple people makes it a little better since you can delegate and stage team attacks, though.

Beanzor
Feb 4, 2005

Djarum posted:

I have a Killer Queen 3 blocks away from both my apartment and work and yet I haven't played it yet. Is it worth it?

If you have a steady group of people to play with. Yes, absolutely. We like to tell people that it plays like a combination of Mario and Joust with a small amount of resource management.
It's fun and fairly well-balanced for both casual and competitive groups.
You can play with AI/Bots but it's very much a team-based game that really shines when you have exactly 10 humans playing simultaneously.

This "Dumb Bee Game" as some of us endearingly refer to it, has caused a bunch of people to travel and compete against and with teams in other cities across the country. It's kind of inspiring to see how other scenes have also come together and bonded over this niche arcade game. I personally have only traveled to Chicago and Austin, but we have players that have been all over the US for this game.
Chances are good that your location probably already has an established scene full of cool people that would love to teach you the game and have more players.

KQ players are a fairly well-connected group. Depending on the city, I can probably point you toward specific individuals you're interested in joining an established scene, or maybe even starting a scene of your own if there's not already one there.

I've been playing with the group that's formed at Ground Kontrol (Portland, OR) for a little over two years now. The community and the arcade have put in a lot of work into having regular organized "free" events in an attempt to keep veterans and new players coming back. Every scene's different but here's what we have going on in Portland.

League Night - (20 free games every Monday, usually sponsored by a local brewery)

Mixer Tournaments - Monthly tournament that is geared toward being inclusive and casual-friendly. Captains (usually Queens) volunteer and teams are chosen one player at a time or assigned randomly. Sometimes there's a silly theme involved.

Competitive Clash - Monthly tournament for the die-hards and try-hards. Prizes handed out to the top three teams, usually provided by a local sponsor. These are streamed via Twitch. - https://www.twitch.tv/ground_kontrol

Free Play Nights. The arcade hosts an arcade-wide free play night twice a month. It's very common for the KQ regulars to gather and get a few hours of practice in on these nights.

I could go on, but this post already feels too long without giving it its own thread. Also, technically not retro.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
The talk of nonsense arcade cabinets is just another reminder that I would play the poo poo out of DDR Extreme if I had the money and space for one.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/katoomba/other-video-games-consoles/goldstar-3do-240volt-ntsc-and-games-no-offers-/1147805840

Anyone live out near the Blue Mountains and want a 3DO?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Sorta kinda but not for $200 I don't.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

kirbysuperstar posted:

Sorta kinda but not for $200 I don't.

You make Trip Hawkins sad, and not just cause he's bankrupt.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I saw a 3DO at a store here for $100, and they even had a bunch of the games for it or the CD-I.

That's still way too much for a 3DO

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Why do I do this to myself? I made my classic error (for about the tenth time) of poking through cheap auctions on eBay and just tossing small bids on anything that looked interesting thinking that "Oh, I'll get outbid on most of these and I'll be happy with the two or three I get."

And then two days later I'm paying for a crate of Saturn games.

At least in a few weeks I should have some fun...

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Random Stranger posted:

Why do I do this to myself? I made my classic error (for about the tenth time) of poking through cheap auctions on eBay and just tossing small bids on anything that looked interesting thinking that "Oh, I'll get outbid on most of these and I'll be happy with the two or three I get."

Tossing a small bid and winning is not an error, it is money well spent.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Elliotw2 posted:

I saw a 3DO at a store here for $100, and they even had a bunch of the games for it or the CD-I.

That's still way too much for a 3DO

I would have gone for it. I have poo poo taste though.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

worthless. posted:

I would have gone for it. I have poo poo taste though.

Can I interest you in Dances with Wolves for the CD-i then?

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Elliotw2 posted:

Can I interest you in Dances with Wolves for the CD-i then?

Sure if it comes with a CD-i

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Tossing a small bid and winning is not an error, it is money well spent.

Well this certainly isn't my wife's account.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Random Stranger posted:

I almost had this happen to me with a bunch of AD&D stuff recently, although I had the sense to go and cancel all of them before I ruined myself financially

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I may have just gone and brought two Atari Lynx IIs which come with 25 games in total :ohdear:

Have to wait for them to be sent by post.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

You Am I posted:

I may have just gone and brought two Atari Lynx IIs which come with 25 games in total :ohdear:

How much?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

You Am I posted:

You can play networked Slime World! Now you just need a few more systems for a full game! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

You Am I posted:

I had no interest in the lynx until I saw ashens review it and he was so wistful about it that I've been looking for a decently priced one ever since. It's an interesting little machine.

• Locked thread