Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

LadyPictureShow posted:

My boyfriend liked APB, but I for the life of me could not follow the plot for an entire episode. I'd be watching the whole time, but it's like my brain would do that 'you have my undivided attention' *cartoony barn animals dancing* Simpsons gag about five minutes in. The only shame is that I'm always happy to see Ernie Hudson getting work.

I was hoping for a Person of Interest-style swerve. That premise could do fantastically interesting things with a swerve. Not like PoI's "the system becomes sentient" or anything but exploring what happens when the specialized tech gets into the hands of less competent departments or actively misappropriated, the main character realizing that he can't just sweep in and fix everything with good intentions, money, and an ego the size of New York. But at least for the couple of episodes I was willing to watch they didn't swerve or even hint at a swerve. It was Robocop from the corp's perspective without a a bit of irony or self-awareness.

The point of a swerve is to establish the "status quo" first so maybe I backed off too soon. Or maybe I was just hungry for another smart procedural after PoI went off the air and was giving the premise too much credit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ein cooler Typ posted:

I liked Last Man Standing because the middle daughter was hella hot and she always dressed like a slut

plus it was one of the only redpilled shows left on television

:yikes:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Ein cooler Typ posted:

I liked Last Man Standing because the middle daughter was hella hot and she always dressed like a slut

plus it was one of the only redpilled shows left on television

Source your quotes.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Bruceski posted:

Or maybe I was just hungry for another smart procedural after PoI went off the air and was giving the premise too much credit.

It was this.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
How was the most recent season of Vikings and the final season of Black Sails?

I'm currently marathoning The Last Kingdom s2 and enjoying it. I can tell the show moves hella fast even not having read the books.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
How does Into the Badlands progress? I watched episode 1 and it was kinda neat, but I'm not sure I'm down for a whole series if it doesn't get really story-heavy.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

precision posted:

The best way to do a Doctor Doom plot would be to have him basically be Darkman; a hobo with a mission and way too much free time.

Add in time travel where he has to battle Morgan Le Fay and even more evil versions of himself, also a Doom 2099 arc, and I'm sold.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 23:10 on May 11, 2017

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Mulva posted:

It was this.

A guy can dream.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

-Blackadder- posted:

Great and Great respectively. The second half of S4 of Vikings was much stronger than the first. And Black Sails ended pretty drat well.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

precision posted:

How does Into the Badlands progress? I watched episode 1 and it was kinda neat, but I'm not sure I'm down for a whole series if it doesn't get really story-heavy.

story stays weak to dumb, choreography stays good.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Croatoan posted:

Time travels shows: Why don't they say gently caress it and reboot The Time Tunnel? It was good and horrible garbage. I bet CBS would love it.

CBS is too busy filling their schedule with a game show based on the hottest mobile app of 2012

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

raditts posted:

CBS is too busy filling their schedule with a game show based on the hottest mobile app of 2012

still less dumb than fox's new shazam show

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Brother Entropy posted:

Starring Sinbad? It would be the Hulk Hogan meat shoes of television. The one about the kid who turns into the guy is just too weird for contemporary tv, though.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Brother Entropy posted:

Academy Award Winner Jamie Foxx

He must be a monster to work with, right? Or he's got terrible management.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
All this TV show production talk has me wondering if they've ever tried anything like a Shark Tank or Project Greenlight for Tv Shows?

Seems like something that could be actually interesting, especially to TV connoisseurs, if done in the right way.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Jack Gladney posted:

Starring Sinbad? It would be the Hulk Hogan meat shoes of television. The one about the kid who turns into the guy is just too weird for contemporary tv, though.

That would be preferable to the reality, which is Name That Tune but with the hottest mobile app of 2008.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In "uh, okay?" news Shannara is moving from MTV to Spike for season 2.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

JethroMcB posted:

Academy Award Winner Jamie Foxx

He must be a monster to work with, right? Or he's got terrible management.

*Jamie Foxx, Terrence Howard, and Cuba Gooding Jr all run in and burn a HUGE bridge!*

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

muscles like this! posted:

I thought I heard recently that the new head of MTV was cleaning house on scripted content and doubling down on reality. That could be the reason.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Shrug, surprised as hell there even is a season 2. It wasn't good TV, but I enjoyed it.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

-Blackadder- posted:

The highs weren't as high as previous seasons and both were uneven at times but they were definitely still great rides and well worth watching.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

bull3964 posted:

I thought I heard recently that the new head of MTV was cleaning house on scripted content and doubling down on reality. That could be the reason.

Apparently the demo was a whole lot older (and male) than MTV was looking for.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

bull3964 posted:

There's that, and the fact that Spike is soon becoming the general audiences Paramount Network (Yes, they're still chasing that dream, 40 years and one UPN later.)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ABC murder time:
American Crime
Imaginary Mary
The Real O'Neals
The Catch
Secrets and Lies
Dr Ken

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ABC survivors:
Agents of SHIELD
Designated Survivor
Once Upon a Time (although Jennifer Morrison has already stated that she will only be back for one episode next season)
American Housewife

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

ABC murder time:

Imaginary Mary

I am amazed that this wasn't cancelled halfway through the pilot and replaced with, I dunno, an episode of Shark Tank already in progress.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

ABC survivors:
Designated Survivor

Dear god why.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

JethroMcB posted:

I am amazed that this wasn't cancelled halfway through the pilot and replaced with, I dunno, an episode of Shark Tank already in progress.

I've caught bits of episodes of this while waiting for AoS to start and it's amazing how little the main conceit of the show actually matters. Most of what I've seen just seems like a normal family dramedy.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I watched a bunch of episodes and the imaginary friend literally does nothing. Sometimes I actually forget she's even there until she shows up at the end of the scene to make a joke.

I find the utter lack of desire to use the premise of the show really captivating. I want desperately to sit down with the creative behind the show and ask "Why?"

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I had no idea Imaginary Mary had even premiered, but that didn't surprise me nearly as much as learning that piece of poo poo The Catch was still on.

Apparently the demo was a whole lot older (and male) than MTV was looking for.

Is unscripted TV really something that anyone, let alone young people, really give a poo poo about in 2017? The only ones I hear any anymore is the perpetual garbage fire that is CBS reality programming, along with occasional mentions of Real Housewives.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Like, the best unscripted content is on youtube and in podcasts.

Lost Season
Nov 28, 2013

Bruceski posted:

I was hoping for a Person of Interest-style swerve. That premise could do fantastically interesting things with a swerve. Not like PoI's "the system becomes sentient" or anything but exploring what happens when the specialized tech gets into the hands of less competent departments or actively misappropriated, the main character realizing that he can't just sweep in and fix everything with good intentions, money, and an ego the size of New York. But at least for the couple of episodes I was willing to watch they didn't swerve or even hint at a swerve. It was Robocop from the corp's perspective without a a bit of irony or self-awareness.

The point of a swerve is to establish the "status quo" first so maybe I backed off too soon. Or maybe I was just hungry for another smart procedural after PoI went off the air and was giving the premise too much credit.

The show was created by David Slack, who was a writer and producer for Person of Interest, so originally there may have been a PoI style swerve planned, but he left the show over creative differences with Fox. The guys who replaced probably didn't "get it", and we ended up with what we have now.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Is that the show where the thinly-veiled Tesla motors guy plays the great white hope to a violence-ravaged inner city by purchasing a police district and using super cool, cutting-edge technology to fix crime?

Is it as smugly randian as it sounds?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I only saw the pilot episode but the new technology was basically a phone app that lets you alert the cops to a crime. They also got one of those drones you find on Amazon and put a camera and stun gun on it.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Lost Season posted:

The show was created by David Slack, who was a writer and producer for Person of Interest, so originally there may have been a PoI style swerve planned, but he left the show over creative differences with Fox. The guys who replaced probably didn't "get it", and we ended up with what we have now.

Yeah, there's no way you could look at Slack's Twitter and think "Hmm, that guy totally supports police privatization." There had to be a swerve planned.

Moreover, nearly half of Slack's POI episodes were such utter beasts -- "No Good Deed," "Prisoner's Dilemma," "Razgovor," "Root Path," "Deus Ex Machina" -- that I would always refer to his episodes as David Slack Specials. Even when it was a lighter one like "Super" or "Bury the Lede," his fingerprints were all over it, and it was usually kind of awesome.

He jumped over to the MacGuyver reboot after Fox shitcanned him, where I assume he's having fun being wasted (I mean...it's still MacGuyver, right?). But next time you see that he's running a show, no matter how lovely it sounds, underestimate it at your own peril; this dude can loving write.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

JethroMcB posted:

It was definitely politics, and had nothing to do with the fact that it was a show that had already hit that sweet syndication deal, was pulling in 7 million viewers on a good week, and was almost certainly looking at increased costs entering a 7th season.

It was ABC's attempt to get in on that "god drat millennials, I miss the good old days" formula that works so well for CBS.

From what I read ABC wasn't getting a cut of the syndication and the show was kind of expensive since Tim Allen was making a lot.

Never understood the complaints from either side on the politics. It was a part of the show but lighthearted stuff. It was a pretty generic family sitcom.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Wasn't Last Man Standing always a Friday night show? If ABC is losing money on any show on that night, it deserves to get axed.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Wow, season 2 of The Leftovers starts out STRONG. Glad I finally gave this show the chance it deserved.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Popelmon posted:

Wow, season 2 of The Leftovers starts out STRONG. Glad I finally gave this show the chance it deserved.
Top 5 season of TV ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Leftovers s2 is so so so good

• Locked thread