Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Just reading the feed, it looks to me like an avid woodworker (been making his own furniture) who made it for himself, then lent it to CIG to display in return for being named an "MVP" (whatever that is), and probably expects to get it back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gradis
Feb 27, 2016

GAPE APE

Now for the thargoids. They are so hosed in 2 weeks.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Fatkraken posted:

so it's a cupboard?

wot

anyone here involved in custom fabrication and could hazard a guess how much that poo poo cost?

$500 to $1,000 in materials and 60 to 100 hours of work. The guy has to have 20 hours just in the VCarve layout. Giving credit where it is due--the design work is well thought out and the build looks impeccable. Something like that could go for $3,000 which would be literally robbing the dude. Depending on the market and the guys reputation he should get three to five times the $3K price.

Sarsapariller posted:

To be fair, the exterior is pretty good work. If I wanted a thousand pound wooden cabinet made up to look like a random art asset from a failed kickstarter project that nobody was ever, ever going to recognize, he'd be the guy to call.

I'm just going to sit here and savor the concept of a person who goes "I'm a big fan of Star Citizen, I'd like to make a prop that reminds me of the game, but what? I know, the wardrobe machine!" and then spends dozens to hundreds of hours making that dream a reality.
The mockups in the imgur album were enough to impress me. The guy has some talent for sure and experience building pieces for trade shows. The unit breaks down and looks like it's easy to roll around, load on elevators, etc..

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
It looks good. He wanted to dedicate a lot of his time and effort to build something truly iconic and unique about the Star Citizen universe.

He was forced to build the wardrobe changer.

Gradis
Feb 27, 2016

GAPE APE
ye it looks to good to be built for free but at this point. :shrugs:

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Can we get an update on the dude who turned his basement into a Connie? If no update exists just post all of that again because it's still funny.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

thatguy posted:

Can we get an update on the dude who turned his basement into a Connie? If no update exists just post all of that again because it's still funny.
A pre-pre-pre-pre-pre-refactored Connie*.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

That seems like a lot of time and effort just for crobberts to have a new toupee display case

At this point nothing surprises me with this whole fiasco , like Milton the super nerd being 45k deep .... And now the pro wood worker knocking out a display piece for no financial gain

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe
A brief interlude

quote:

McFarland kicked off the meeting by cutting to the chase: nobody would be getting paid, but they were free to keep working regardless. “After conferring with our counsel and all financial people, unfortunately we are not able to proceed with payroll,” McFarland said. “We’re not firing anyone, we’re just letting you know that there will be no payroll in the short term.”

https://news.vice.com/story/audio-fyre-festival-founders-reveal-to-employees-nobodys-getting-paid - they have the conference call.

The best bit is where they ask everyone to stay on for the chance to be paid in the future.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

dear CIG employees, please please please start recording phone calls and meetings and whatever the hell else

i would love to hear some cool meetings going down

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

thatguy posted:

The one of the bridge with the captains chair and all that? Yeah I don't have a copy of that one to hand, but here's one showing the Connie cargo bay another backer made:

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Hav posted:

A brief interlude

https://news.vice.com/story/audio-fyre-festival-founders-reveal-to-employees-nobodys-getting-paid - they have the conference call.

The best bit is where they ask everyone to stay on for the chance to be paid in the future.

Actually the best part was when the rear end in a top hat founder said they weren't firing anyone, so nobody could collect unemployment. That was great.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Lechtansi posted:

Actually the best part was when the rear end in a top hat founder said they weren't firing anyone, so nobody could collect unemployment. That was great.
this kinda poo poo happens all the time lol

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Hav posted:

Cig is probably much better at keeping the morale up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKH9ECC_Qa4

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Tonight, on dreams:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

alf_pogs posted:

dear CIG employees, please please please start recording phone calls and meetings and whatever the hell else

i would love to hear some cool meetings going down

They already are.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

TrustmeImLegit posted:

It looks good. He wanted to dedicate a lot of his time and effort to build something truly iconic and unique about the Star Citizen universe.

He was forced to build the wardrobe changer.

They could have made a Big Benny machine out of an old soda dispenser but instead they made this poo poo. I guess Big Benny's is too commercial for some people

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

alf_pogs posted:

don't you john raine on our parade

also that guy's twitter avatar is a photo of the space fridge

i'm not saying he's a fake guy, or this is bullshit, but he is almost certainly a fake guy and that is almost certainly bullshit

i guess he signed up in march and has been banging on about his cupboard for ages. my brain just has trouble with accepting that people like this exist

The inevitable consequence of space wood working.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.forbes.com/sites/neilpatel/2015/01/16/90-of-startups-will-fail-heres-what-you-need-to-know-about-the-10/#4df0758e6679

1. The product is perfect for the market. (BDSSE)
2. The entrepreneur does not ignore anything. (Yep, procedural birds.)
3. The company grows fast. (300 within the first year?)
4. The team knows how to recover. (Team no longer exists, most left)

Well, I think, based on facts presented in the article, CIG will fail. :smuggo:

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

Why is no-one asking the obvious question.......pgabz, why are you caught in this photo, hmmmmmm?!

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
"According to Eedar, a video game market research company owned by the NPD Group, about 30,000 successfully funded video game projects were on Kickstarter as of February, and more than $593 million had been pledged to them."

This part actually made me lol. If these numbers are correct, nearly 25% of the entire amount of cash pledged on Kickstarting 30,000 different games has been spent on one single game. Sorry, I mean "game".

e: Oh, and "spent".

HairyManling fucked around with this message at 04:30 on May 12, 2017

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

I think I know where the 1.8 million citizens are.

https://twitter.com/EnglishRussia1/status/862661011882561537/video/1

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot
you thought 3.0 was a joke? procedural breathing almost done

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADB-wpvTD0k&t=108s

checkmate goondoodyheads

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Prey is a game where you can pick up any object in the world and throw or drop those items WITHOUT needing to ghost the item ala a game from 2003

Nit to mention locking the player into an animation while placing the object and its very clear the object just spawns at the ghosted location

This is how games handled this kind if thing 15 years ago

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

HairyManling posted:

"According to Eedar, a video game market research company owned by the NPD Group, about 30,000 successfully funded video game projects were on Kickstarter as of February, and more than $593 million had been pledged to them."

This part actually made me lol. If these numbers are correct, nearly 25% of the entire amount of cash pledged on Kickstarting 30,000 different games has been spent on one single game. Sorry, I mean "game".

e: Oh, and "spent".
Note that Star Citizen only raised $2 million through Kick Starter - the rest they laundered through their own crowd funding platform.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Phi230 posted:

Prey is a game
I'm going to stop you there and I hope you realise where you hosed up in this comparison.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

I'm going to stop you there and I hope you realise where you hosed up in this comparison.

Well. Star citizen is a game thats actually out and playable right now.

Also the real Prey game from way back was loving awesome. New prey looks like garbage. Pretty sure Derek Smart could make a better game by himself.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

nawledgelambo posted:

checkmate goondoodyheads
lol its great when your lead programmer has basically done nothing of note since doing QA for realtime worlds six years ago

:lol:

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

grimcreaper posted:

Also the real Prey game from way back was loving awesome. New prey looks like garbage. Pretty sure Derek Smart could make a better game by himself.
lets play ED sometime

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

thatguy posted:

cthulu/evarslipstream... he's one of the r/ds insane people if you can believe that... and also the same guy that had 'GGCLOSE CIG SEEKING REFUND' or some poo poo as his protest middle name on the forum back when he had a mad

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

TheAgent posted:

lol its great when your lead programmer has basically done nothing of note since doing QA for realtime worlds six years ago

:lol:
also the guys entire programming portfolio is poo poo he created in 3ds max with super high poly counts

seriously

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

grimcreaper posted:

The original Prey was loving amazing.

e; Taxxe

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice

nawledgelambo posted:

checkmate goondoodyheads

Holy gently caress that teleporting box.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Thoatse posted:

cthulu/evarslipstream... he's one of the r/ds insane people if you can believe that... and also the same guy that had 'GGCLOSE CIG SEEKING REFUND' or some poo poo as his protest middle name on the forum back when he had a mad
Well... what happened?

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADB-wpvTD0k&t=263s

It's strange that F42-UK is working on an implementation of volumetric fog from Lumberyard, since I thought they already merged the codebases! Improved volumetric fog was a feature added to Lumberyard 1.3 last June (Amazon just released version 1.9).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADB-wpvTD0k&t=1215s

:gary: Obligatory cafeteria WIP... fidelitous

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Hobold posted:

Holy gently caress that teleporting box.

Haha, it's so obvious that a new box is spawned (gotta transmit that info to all other suckers in the game again!) in the location where you deposit the fake box you have in your grabby hands.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

thatguy posted:

Well... what happened?

no idea what he was raging about but he changed his name back and and carved the 7 point star of croberts his forehead

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

His Twitter account exclusively exists to talk about a space cabinet.

You obviously haven't checked his "liked" tweets.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

trucutru posted:

Haha, it's so obvious that a new box is spawned (gotta transmit that info to all other suckers in the game again!) in the location where you deposit the fake box you have in your grabby hands.

Why the gently caress they even care about mocaping and animations when the endproduct looks like this. :pgi:

edit: someone plz make a .pgi. ripoff for poo poo citizen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice

AutismVaccine posted:

Why the gently caress they even care about mocaping and animations when the endproduct looks like this. :pgi:

edit: someone plz make a .pgi. ripoff for poo poo citizen.

All of the amazing, and incredibly expensive mocap bullshit is wasted once people start to realize keyframe animations are still the majority here. Everything teleports to its place, does the thing, and teleports to new place if necessary.