Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

C-SPAN Caller posted:

I don't understand the goon consensus of this being middling, this show blows the original series out of the water and has been a far more complete story than before, and I've been gripped the entire time and enjoyed every episode so far, although some more than others.

Like, what is making this bad for y'all?

It started off perfectly.
The first three episodes did so much to explain the in story 50 year gap and the state that Jack was in.
The past two episodes were *boop* none of that matters now brain problems fixed. I appreciated how increasingly distorted blue jack was getting, alongside jack's psyche, and for him to abruptly disappear like that, its a crying shame.
Its still a great show but planning missteps and not giving the most ponderously paced childrens show ever made more episodes to close out is just another mistake.

Getting the sword back should have been 2 episodes. First ends with blue jack getting the upper hand as well as Ashi getting cornered by the matriarch.

Honestly the matriarch fight should have involved the rest of the cultists. Including the EXTRA THICC one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

C-SPAN Caller posted:

I don't understand the goon consensus of this being middling, this show blows the original series out of the water and has been a far more complete story than before, and I've been gripped the entire time and enjoyed every episode so far, although some more than others.

they weren't expecting tonal variety between episodes I guess? I mean it's not like we're talking about Samurai Jack or something here

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
Ah, here's where they really start talking about the difficulties: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=653ayYDf7L8

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Augus posted:

they weren't expecting tonal variety between episodes I guess? I mean it's not like we're talking about Samurai Jack or something here

Its fine and expected in the old seasons since they lacked a well defined string of continuity.
But it becomes tone whiplash in this season.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Gynovore posted:

My 2 cents: It's awesome, however the two instances of Nude Ashi were blatant fanservice. And the Scaramouche-as-comedy felt tacked on. Still awesome.

Nude Ashi didn't bother me, given that Jack being naked has been played for comedy before and Ashi's outfit is made of shrubbery. It was bound to happen at some point.

I thought the simulated sex scene at the end before the kiss was pretty tasteless, though.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
The first three episodes had Scaramouche, Dr. Aku and wolf-bonding in between cultists, sword fights and internal conflict. poo poo was feng shui as gently caress.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Alright I get it now thanks for the thoughts, must be reading into tone too hard. Show has been a solid 7 at it's lows and 10 at it's peaks, so far is give it an 8.5 but if the last two episodes are like the first three I'd give it a solid 9. Show suffers like how watching Konosuba did in that it feels important stuff got cut to help thread it together and could benefit from say, 3 more episodes.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Nude Ashi didn't bother me, given that Jack being naked has been played for comedy before and Ashi's outfit is made of shrubbery. It was bound to happen at some point.

I thought the simulated sex scene at the end before the kiss was pretty tasteless, though.

yeah it was nearing star wars levels of bugnest orgy

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

has this been posted

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Before the last episode, the only one I didn't really care for was the fanservicey "Ashi walks the word and meets all of the people Jack helped" because the pacing felt kind of off to me.
But that last episode, man that was bad, bad, bad. I've already posted my opinions on that one though.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Getting the sword back should have been 2 episodes. First ends with blue jack getting the upper hand as well as Ashi getting cornered by the matriarch.
The funny thing is, I feel like Ashi being removed, or at least killed off with the rest of her sisters, would solve every pacing issue the show had. Like the sword episode could skip that poorly-done Orc fight and put that time into Jack battling his inner demons. He wakes up just in time for The High Priestess to appear and use his new sword to mop the floor with her.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

spit on my clit posted:

has this been posted

I hope not, it isn't funny

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

I think people dunk on episode 4 a little too much, that one was perfectly fine and I liked it? I thought it worked? It's after that that the pacing has gotten far too rushed, and the writing too clumsy.

I don't think and of the ideas presented in these episodes have been inherently bad up until the romance bits, either!

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Megaspel posted:

She was invented to give Jack someone to gently caress basically.

So what? You might as well complain that Aku was invented to give Jack someone to fight. Or the Scotsman was invented to give Jack someone to friend. The reason for a character's existence is less important than their execution.

Megaspel posted:

It doesn't matter if she's 18 or 25, it's still pretty weird, maybe if she was 40 or something it'd be less weird, once she's actually experienced the world and isn't recovering from a terrible gaslit upbringing.

I don't think it's weird personally, but I find how weird it isn't kind of weird in and of itself, since Ashi has been almost perfectly normal since she realized her upbriging was a lie. How she acts now might as well be completely disconnected from her backstory and original presentation in the first 4 or 5 episodes. Beyond not knowing why nudity was making Jack act odd (which could be explained a number of other ways), there's nothing immature or hosed up about how she's acting in comparison to Jack. They're both just kind of awkward and shy young adults in portrayal. Which is fine. I just find it weird however that her origin no longer seems to really inform her behavior. If it did then it'd probably be weird for them to be dating, but as is it's fine.

Jack doesn't really come across like someone who spent 50+ years fighting a one man crusade and who recently recovered from a long depression either for that matter, and his character no longer looks or acts like he's an older man. Which is weird too, but again, as he is, him being in a relationship with Ashi is fine too. I don't think he should be portrayed that way now, but as he is, him being in a relationship with someone who comes across as equally emotionally and mentally mature for two or three episodes doesn't seem problematic to me.

tsob fucked around with this message at 00:56 on May 12, 2017

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Mighty Dicktron posted:

why is every single poster with a tingle avatar a party pooper

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

spit on my clit posted:

why is every single poster with a tingle avatar a party pooper

Party came pre-pooped my friend with a bad joke

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

nerdbot posted:

I think people dunk on episode 4 a little too much, that one was perfectly fine and I liked it? I thought it worked? It's after that that the pacing has gotten far too rushed, and the writing too clumsy.

I don't think and of the ideas presented in these episodes have been inherently bad up until the romance bits, either!

Episode 4 was good aside from that dumb ladybug scene that should have been in Episode 1. It was a narrative cheat as is.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Episode 4 was good aside from that dumb ladybug scene that should have been in Episode 1. It was a narrative cheat as is.

Yeah I'll agree to that. I guess that's the first place the writing really shows sloppiness. At the time it was an excusable flub but now it comes across as kind of indicative of the level of writing of the last 7 episodes. I guess that's the story of this whole season. I could excuse a lot of the flaws on their own but they've built up.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Really? I find it absolutely hilarious; and I'm one of the people it's mocking :D !

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 03:25 on May 12, 2017

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
cant believe yall niggas this mad over jack getting trim

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

cant believe yall niggas this mad over jack getting trim

:yeah:

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

tsob posted:

So what? You might as well complain that Aku was invented to give Jack someone to fight. Or the Scotsman was invented to give Jack someone to friend. The reason for a character's existence is less important than their execution.

Sure, but it's super hard to find a female character in mainstream media that is not made for the express purpose of loving. I was one of the people who was trying to defend Gendy's choice of skinsuit clothing as maybe something that wasn't sexualized and male-gazey, but nope, that's exactly what it was, no defense. There were hopes and expectations that maybe Samurai Jack season 5 would have been able to rise up to being something that any person could appreciate as art, but now the reflexive response to cringe-worthy sexualization content is "it's just a cartoon, why were you expecting it to be good?". The response to that is that the first 4 seasons of Jack managed to not have female characters be non-fetishized, and it was still good even so. Why can't this one too?

Off topic, but I kinda get the feeling that this show is going to conclude on a similar note that the comics did. I don't know how to feel about it. Can only hope to see the ending of the show myself once it comes out the week after this one.

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 04:07 on May 12, 2017

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

EagerSleeper posted:

Sure, but it's super hard to find a female character in mainstream media that is not made for the express purpose of loving. I was one of the people who was trying to defend Gendy's choice of skinsuit clothing as maybe something that wasn't sexualized and male-gazey, but nope, that's exactly what it was, no defense. There were hopes and expectations that maybe Samurai Jack season 5 would have been able to rise up to being something that any person could appreciate as art, but now the reflexive response to cringe-worthy sexualization content is "it's just a cartoon, why were you expecting it to be good?". The response to that is that the first 4 seasons of Jack managed to not have female characters be non-fetishized, and it was still good even so. Why can't this one too?

Off topic, but I kinda get the feeling that this show is going to conclude on a similar note that the comics did. I don't know how to feel about it. Can only hope to see the ending of the show myself once it comes out the week after this one.

This.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

I wish Korra was on adult swim so lesbians could kiss tho

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001

EagerSleeper posted:

I too look to Adult Swim to champion social and progressive issues, and am surprised they dropped the ball here. I also simply can't appreciate anything as art if there's the smallest element I disagree with, even if it might be open to interpretation.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Potassium Problems posted:

I too look to Adult Swim to champion social and progressive issues, and am surprised they dropped the ball here. I also simply can't appreciate anything as art if there's the smallest element I disagree with, even if it might be open to interpretation.

At no point is any arguing Adult Swim is a bastion of social awareness dude.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

I personally do not do this with Adult Swim. But on the other hand, I don't COMPLETELY lower my standards here either. What I more try to do is find a good middle ground; find something that's not TOO sensitive to social and progressive issues, but not too insensitive either. And IMO, this episode leaned too heavily towards being insensitive; and I don't like that.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yo I liked the episode and all, but I hate that people can't just say "Man I don't like this," without everyone trying to make it seem like they just projectile shat the roof of the Sistine Chapel.

No-one left a wet soppy turd on God's face, they just didn't like a TV show, chill.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

Yo I liked the episode and all, but I hate that people can't just say "Man I don't like this," without everyone trying to make it seem like they just projectile shat the roof of the Sistine Chapel.

No-one left a wet soppy turd on God's face, they just didn't like a TV show, chill.

It's not even that! It's 'they didn't like a couple episodes of a TV show as much as the earlier ones!'

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Fionordequester posted:

I personally do not do this with Adult Swim. But on the other hand, I don't COMPLETELY lower my standards here either. What I more try to do is find a good middle ground; find something that's not TOO sensitive to social and progressive issues, but not too insensitive either. And IMO, this episode leaned too heavily towards being insensitive; and I don't like that.

Pretty much this. It was in bad taste imo. Still looking forward to the next episode though.

RareAcumen posted:

It's not even that! It's 'they didn't like a couple episodes of a TV show as much as the earlier ones!'

Earlier episodes didn't have Jack get his dick hard over a brainwashed little girl lol. Everyone can have opinions on things, but the complaint is over how Ashi's character arc went weird and kinda disappointingly sexualized. But yeah these past few episodes weren't the best pacing wise either. :v:

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 06:32 on May 12, 2017

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001

EagerSleeper posted:

Earlier episodes didn't have Jack get his dick hard over a brainwashed little girl lol.

Two people who've faced hardship and strife most of their lives find a (probably) fleeting moment of happiness together, and people jump to this conclusion? That's what I disagree with

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Honestly, I'm more disappointed because I figured if any cartoon could've had a female lead whose most notable attribute was NOT being the love interest of the male protagonist at all, it would be this one. If we are going to see Jack being forced to choose between going to the past or staying in the future in the finale, I'd argue it still would've had a similar tension if Ashi had wound up (strictly) being his student.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Two people who've faced hardship and strife most of their lives find a (probably) fleeting moment of happiness together, and people jump to this conclusion? That's what I disagree with

Well I'm sorry, but...they're making out and everything at the end of the episode, Jack's blushing like mad, and they're playing the "Everybody Loves Somebody" song at the end. What other conclusion are we supposed to draw other than that Jack's sword is "getting hard over someone who lived 99.99% of her life as a brainwashed young girl"? That's what's happening; there's no getting around it.

------------------------------

EDIT: Now, suppose this were real life, and I met a couple where there was a 70+ year old soldier who...I don't know, spent 50 years of his life in a concentration camp. And just as he's about to commit suicide, he gets saved as a result of a 18-25 year old woman who had previously spent her entirely life as a Nazi. Would I get on their case about that? No, of course not. It'd be kind of weird, but I recognize that life is complicated; I think it's arrogant for someone to ruin a couple's happiness without a REALLY darn good reason.

But this isn't real life; it's a TV show. And in TV shows, the writers have complete control over everything they choose to have happen (barring censorship rules). So I'm going to be irritated when they make questionable choices like this.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 08:12 on May 12, 2017

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I enjoyed watching this tv show.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

EagerSleeper posted:

Earlier episodes didn't have Jack get his dick hard over a brainwashed little girl lol. Everyone can have opinions on things, but the complaint is over how Ashi's character arc went weird and kinda disappointingly sexualized. But yeah these past few episodes weren't the best pacing wise either. :v:

Dude, people have had complaints about episodes before this one too.

For example

Gawain The Blind posted:

The Ashi-vs-army fight was terrible. We spent 2 or 3 episodes establishing that she's some kind of super ninja, but then instead of flying around dexterously and kidney stabbing, she picks a dude up and brute strengths him down a mountain, knocking everyone off. What a poo poo way for Genndy to declare that this fight doesn't matter and he just wants to move the story along with the minimum amount of effort. "Yeah, I dunno, lets just have her knock all them off somehow. gently caress it."

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001

Fionordequester posted:

Well I'm sorry, but...they're making out and everything at the end of the episode, Jack's blushing like mad, and they're playing the "Everybody Loves Somebody" song at the end. What other conclusion are we supposed to draw other than that Jack's sword is "getting hard over someone who lived 99.99% of her life as a brainwashed young girl"? That's what's happening; there's no getting around it.
It's depicted as the payoff to an admittedly cheesy episode of awkward feelings for each other, I chose to take it at face value and my evaluation of it ended at "well that was a little on the nose, but cute". People are acting like Jack preyed upon a child who didn't know any better, and it all comes off as projection on their part.

quote:

EDIT: Now, suppose this were real life, and I met a couple where there was a 70+ year old soldier who...I don't know, spent 50 years of his life in a concentration camp. And just as he's about to commit suicide, he gets saved as a result of a 18-25 year old woman who had previously spent her entirely life as a Nazi. Would I get on their case about that? No, of course not. It'd be kind of weird, but I recognize that life is complicated; I think it's arrogant for someone to ruin a couple's happiness without a REALLY darn good reason.

But this isn't real life; it's a TV show. And in TV shows, the writers have complete control over everything they choose to have happen (barring censorship rules). So I'm going to be irritated when they make questionable choices like this.
Genuinely curious, did you see Captain America: Civil War, and did you have a problem with Steve and his love interest? Probably a mildly more apt comparison than what you're going for here, but I think the problem is you're taking your view of the relationship and assuming bad intent on the part of the writers for it*. It probably came down to "Can we give Jack a love interest? Cool, make it happen". Maybe they thought about the age gap and decided not to address it because they thought it didn't matter.

*Ok, you got me, I'm assuming intent here too, but its in the interest of giving the writing crew the benefit of the doubt

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

It's depicted as the payoff to an admittedly cheesy episode of awkward feelings for each other, I chose to take it at face value and my evaluation of it ended at "well that was a little on the nose, but cute". People are acting like Jack preyed upon a child who didn't know any better, and it all comes off as projection on their part.

Genuinely curious, did you see Captain America: Civil War, and did you have a problem with Steve and his love interest? Probably a mildly more apt comparison than what you're going for here, but I think the problem is you're taking your view of the relationship and assuming bad intent on the part of the writers for it*. It probably came down to "Can we give Jack a love interest? Cool, make it happen". Maybe they thought about the age gap and decided not to address it because they thought it didn't matter.

*Ok, you got me, I'm assuming intent here too, but its in the interest of giving the writing crew the benefit of the doubt

Sharon Carter is a well-adjusted, grown-rear end woman who was never, at any point, psychologically traumatized and dependent on Cap as her teacher and therapist.

The age thing is only a small sliver of what makes the poo poo with Ashi gross. There's a whole loving bunch of poo poo about it that's off-putting and, again, the fact that the anime forum was more able to consistently recognize that should shame the hell out of this thread.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why should we be ashamed? Anime is good, and requires a deeper reading than most cartoons.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

EagerSleeper posted:

Sure, but it's super hard to find a female character in mainstream media that is not made for the express purpose of loving. I was one of the people who was trying to defend Gendy's choice of skinsuit clothing as maybe something that wasn't sexualized and male-gazey, but nope, that's exactly what it was, no defense.

I'd agree that it's rare to find characters who aren't sexualized in media of any kind, but I wouldn't agree that it's hard to find one that's not created for the express purpose of loving. Many of them are even only really sexualized after the fact by their fans, like the various ponies in My Little Ponies. The aforementioned Korra was obviously not created for the express purpose of loving though. Nor was a good chunk of the female cast of the two Avatar entries, several of whom (Toph, Azula) were originally envisaged as male and just made female during design. As for Ashi, I find the idea of her being sexual kind of weird just because the show's artstyle for her (and females in general) is so stylized. It'd be like finding a stick figure with some tits sexy. Which is basically what she is. I mean I know she's being put in sexual situations and so it almost certainly is the intent (and the word fits regardless given the definition), and that there's definitely someone who'd get off to it, but it's about as sexy as watching a pig take a shower or make out to me. It's just a thing that's happening on screen, no more sexual than any other event.

Oh Snapple! posted:

Sharon Carter is a well-adjusted, grown-rear end woman

So is Ashi at this point. She's been a normal, well-adjusted, grown rear end woman since she realized she was brought up to a lie. Her entire personality was adjusted in the space of a few minutes of screen time. Which is really the problem to me. If only because it ejects a lot of what made her interesting and potential story they could do with her. Not that there's time in such a short episode order, but that's part of the problem I suppose.

tsob fucked around with this message at 11:16 on May 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
https://strawpoll.com/48cdgwg

• Locked thread