Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

iospace posted:

The thing is, the Hawks are the only Chicago team without a Wisconsin rival. They do not want to lose that,which is probably out never happened.

Meaning they would likely lose fans to a milwaukee team

With upper bowl tickets selling for $200 I think Chicago can afford to lose some fans. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

iospace posted:

The thing is, the Hawks are the only Chicago team without a Wisconsin rival. They do not want to lose that,which is probably out never happened.

Meaning they would likely lose fans to a milwaukee team

gently caress Bill Wirtz.

Part of me will always wish we had an NHL team here, but in a way I'm happy being an AHL town since there's no loving way I'd be able to afford NHL season tickets.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah I can't complain about getting to go to minor league hockey for like $15

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Yeah. I really need to go to some games.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Xtanstic posted:

I'd take a bag full of sawdust and sandpaper over Shaw

Shaw is just the player the Oilers need!

Pick up the phone Chiarelli

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

A couple of pages back, but:

Yaya posted:

General consensus from what I've seen is that Eberle's getting shipped out of Edmonton at some point this offseason. Good hockey Twitter man Dimitri Filipovic gives us a chart that shows this is a bad idea.

https://twitter.com/DimFilipovic/status/860252053964193792
Oilers better hope they win a cup soon before Chiarelli trades Draisaitl over not fitting in with the culture.

The problem with trading Eberle is that it'll fall into the classic Oilers mistake of trading a guy when his value is at its lowest. As well, given our RW depth and ignoring any player returned, there's nobody who you'd really consider a true top 6 RW in the organization (Slepyshev, Caggiula, Pitlick, Puljujarvi and Kassian), so it'd hurt to give up the only guy who could be considered a top 6 RW.

That being said, there's no way the Oilers can keep all 3 of Lucic, Eberle and Nuge on top of Draisaitl and McDavid when they get their new contracts. The cap is going to force at least one of Eberle and Nuge to go (since there's no way they'll be able to, nor will want to, trade Lucic). Nuge, despite producing less than Eberle in the regular season, has been much better defensively and looked like more of a threat during the playoffs, so Eberle's more than likely going to be the odd man out.

Wish they had just traded Eberle last off-season while his value was still high.

yellowcar posted:

Real talk: I bet the Oilers would still be in it if they kept TayTay

Oilers are dumb.

No. Hall for Larsson will always be a bad trade, but Larsson is Not That Bad and it's impossible to know how the Oilers would have done this season if their defense was:
Sekera - Russell
Klefbom - Benning
Nurse - Gryba

Which is Not Very Good.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

I monkeyed around with this a little bit today:

For not realizing Desharnais was traded for Davidson put Benning in his place, from what I can tell the difference shouldn't be big between them for this purpose.

:ssh:

Russell for Petry alone is a 5 point difference.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Wisconsin isn't even a real state.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

Aphrodite posted:

Wisconsin isn't even a real state.

Based on the idiots we're sending to Washington, I'd say otherwise.

Infidel Castro fucked around with this message at 23:26 on May 11, 2017

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIČRE IN ME
I like how this article is like "wellll it's not totally Ovechkin's fault...but actually it's all his fault"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...d=pm_sports_pop

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

yellowcar posted:

Real talk: I bet the Oilers would still be in it if they kept TayTay

Oilers are dumb.

well there's really no way to know for sure

but you bet that Oilers fans are 100% defending that trade on the basis of "they got to the playoffs this year"

same as the awful Milan Lucic signing.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

yellowcar posted:

I would take Eberle at 6M over Abdelkader at 4.25M.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

So what if I told you one of the most reasonable, level-headed takes about Ovechkin came from Charles loving Barkley of all people?

quote:

“Alexander Ovechkin’s a better player, I’m not on his level, he’s one of the greatest ever. But it’s interesting when I sit back…tey always blame great players for not winning. They never say, ‘Well, how about the other guys who didn’t do their job?’ They’re always talking about Ovechkin hasn’t won the Stanley Cup. The guy’s been one of the great players. That’s the blame game, it’s unfortunate, but I haven’t heard anyone mention Oshie, Kuznetzov, Shatterink (he means Shattenkirk), I forget, they got him at the trade deadline, but the only thing you hear people talking about for the last three to four weeks is ‘Can Ovechkin get to the conference finals?’ I mean, He’s not out there playing by himself! People always say ‘Charles Barkley never won a championship,’ I get all the blame, but I wasn’t out there by myself. Why don’t you mention that to some of the other guys sometime?”

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/TSN1040/status/862754873078689793

jim benning is fuckin' stupid as hell

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

DJExile posted:

So what if I told you one of the most reasonable, level-headed takes about Ovechkin came from Charles loving Barkley of all people?

A) this is good

B) shatterink :lol:

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

I can only imagine Benning wondering if he could start harvesting organs from WHL non-prospects and transplanting them into Europeans.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
100% not surprised that ron hextall is charles barkley's favorite player

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

whatis posted:

hahaha yeah me neither

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Starsfan posted:

but you bet that Oilers fans are 100% defending that trade on the basis of "they got to the playoffs this year"

Nah, a lot of Oilers fans (that I've seen, at least) are defending the trade on the basis of Taylor Hall being a locker room cancer. Why? Because look at the Oilers struggling when he was here! Now look at the Devils struggling this season! He's to blame for both teams problems! Clearly he's taking the locker rooms down with his selfishness, his GoPros and his misspellings of banana!

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

this guy makes videos of pathetic teams

the capitals earned a new one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abvvgVCwKAs

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

How has he managed a team with the Sedins for the past three years and not noticed that they're the definition of heart and soul players? Jesus Christ.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Vertical Lime posted:

He did all four teams that lost in the 2nd and an all and one recap for the 1st round

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

iospace posted:

He did all four teams that lost in the 2nd and an all and one recap for the 1st round

Holy :lol: he sure did

https://youtu.be/-eThsga1v40

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Aye Doc posted:

jim benning is fuckin' stupid as hell

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Vertical Lime posted:

This is amazing

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~

:ughh:

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
Don't worry, I'm sure all those Europeans in the canucks system won't mind hearing that at all

after all, you need heart to feel things

e: to be clear, I don't think the North American kids will feel anything either, they don't have that skillset

JawKnee fucked around with this message at 04:34 on May 12, 2017

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

The Golden Man posted:

The Oilers are with the exception of Lucic going to pretty much have bargain basement wingers going forward. Condor, Leon and Nuge are going to be banking them in off of guys like Caggiula, Maroon, Slepyshev, Puljujarvi, Kassian and Khaira for the foreseeable future

Kilza posted:

The problem with trading Eberle is that it'll fall into the classic Oilers mistake of trading a guy when his value is at its lowest. As well, given our RW depth and ignoring any player returned, there's nobody who you'd really consider a true top 6 RW in the organization (Slepyshev, Caggiula, Pitlick, Puljujarvi and Kassian), so it'd hurt to give up the only guy who could be considered a top 6 RW.

Did the Oilers break Puljujarvi already? He was the third-best ranked prospect at last year's draft and now he's projecting as a bottom six tweener?

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Call Your Grandma posted:

Did the Oilers break Puljujarvi already? He was the third-best ranked prospect at last year's draft and now he's projecting as a bottom six tweener?

I don't know in what world Puljujarvi isn't projected as top six forward.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

whatis posted:

Ron Hextall loving rules. Hell, when I went to see the Flyers up in St. Paul a few years ago, I had a bunch of Wild fans even telling me how much they loved Hexy.

Infidel Castro fucked around with this message at 05:55 on May 12, 2017

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Technetium posted:

I don't know in what world Puljujarvi isn't projected as top six forward.

In the worlds right now, he's on finland's 4th line and they lost to france 5-1

There's gotta be some sort of virus that only affects fins and makes you bad at hockey.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Powershift posted:

There's gotta be some sort of virus that only affects fins and makes you bad at hockey.

I think Puljujarvi is going to be fine. A lot of people were against throwing him into the league this season but the Oilers went ahead and did it anyway and he clearly wasn't going to produce for them at this point in his development. They put him in the AHL and it probably took him a month to get on track in that league, but most reports I've read say he looked really good in Bakersfield.

If the Stars can get a player as good as him at #3 this year I'd be over the moon.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Patrick Kane in the news again, but this time for something positive? Too little too late, but it is a nice change!

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Powershift posted:

Probably insanity from playing against Finnish goalies for years, like how cat brains get broken from endlessly chasing a laser pointer they won't catch.

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

Call Your Grandma posted:

He's 18 years old and nobody's projecting him to be that

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Hall for Larsson wasn't good value but it made a whole lot of sense from a team building/balance perspective.

...really wish the Hall/Shattenkirk trade had happened

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

Dude gently caress context

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Uh, nobody claims that trading Hall for a defenseman was a bad idea.

It's trading Taylor Hall, a good player with value, for Adam Larsson, at best an okay player with little.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
So...let's assume that Larsson was the absolute best defenseman Taylor Hall could bring back.

Do you:
1) Roll with Hall and...I dunno...Dillon Simpson playing regular NHL minutes
2) Do the trade and have a much improved defense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

Tay rays never been very good anyway

• Locked thread