Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Asproigerosis posted:

Welcome to my home for wayward still alive staff.

Just look at all that organic matter...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Recycler grenade :gibs:

Eurogarner did a positive review, but the guy must suffer from ocd as he moved a picture frame in Talos 1, and spent 30 minutes trying to put it back.
(?)

Shame it's not multiplayer or you could drive him insane with the Gloo gun.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 03:23 on May 12, 2017

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Asproigerosis posted:

Welcome to my home for wayward still alive staff.

"Ugggh god, it feels like someone dragged my face against a half mile of hardwood..."

Turbl
Nov 8, 2007

Poor derelict shuttle looks terrified.

Phlogistic
Oct 22, 2007

Turbl posted:

Poor derelict shuttle looks terrified.

I'm a fan of the googly-eyed consoles myself.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Okay, so Martin Giroud is a dead guy and also weird. So if you start trying to find all the stiffs in the lobby first thing on new game he'll be to the back of trauma center. buuut just after you try to watch Morgans video in the office for the first time and walk out, you hear a dude scream and now he's in the ladies bathroom behind a gloo barricade and also it kinda looks like he got his head bashed in with an ashtray stand.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

got the Nightmare alert for the first time but I was in the Neuromod office renewing my license so I just hid under a desk for a few minutes lol. No idea if Nightmare can come through doors to get you or not.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Holy poo poo Gamespot's review of the game is loving trash, sounds like they just wanted to be completely contrarian to everyone else.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Are there any tells to when an object is a mimic? Besides placement and seeing it move I mean.

Also are the stealth upgrades any good?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Wear headphones, the mimic makes a chittering sound and you can use the direction of the sound to get a sense of where they are.

You will also find something later that will make this easier

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Patch didn't work for me. Neuromod remains a no go. I guess I might restart and hope future issues are avoided because of the patch.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
G.U.T.S. is confusing because I have 0 sense of direction and frightening because I can't hide. It also made me question again how much time of a given engineering project is spent thinking of clever acronyms rather than working.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Is there any reason why I shouldn't go hog wild on crafting neuromods if I can afford them?

Secondly, I would like to get the collection cheevos on my human run. Do I need to max out hacking and/or repair for that?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Anti-Hero posted:

Is there any reason why I shouldn't go hog wild on crafting neuromods if I can afford them?

I don't think so, I installed over 200 by the end of it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Deakul posted:

Holy poo poo Gamespot's review of the game is loving trash, sounds like they just wanted to be completely contrarian to everyone else.

Reading it, it sees to agree with most other reviews I've read, just with different priorities. Story has a lot of well written parts, but isn't that compelling later on, level design is excellent with plenty of possibilities, combat is crap, station feels real and lived in which cuts down on the number of weird, cool environments it can support. Add in glitchy and awful sound mixing, and I can see where the score came from, allowing for... personal taste.

It's just other reviews (and moreso this thread) weigh the weaknesses light and the virtues heavy, while this did the reverse. Makes sense to disagree, but it isn't one of the reviews where I compare it to a more positive take and go "Seriously, what game was that second guy playing?"

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

DLC Inc posted:

got the Nightmare alert for the first time but I was in the Neuromod office renewing my license so I just hid under a desk for a few minutes lol. No idea if Nightmare can come through doors to get you or not.

It's really too big to fit in most places and despite being wickedly fast and one-shotting you if you stay still for a longass time in the open I never found it very formidable. Door dancing is effective

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

It's strange, though, re the combat. I thought the shotgun was excellent, mimics didn't get in my face once after that. I thought the Q beam could have used some more power and higher ammo cost, maybe.

enigmatikone
Sep 30, 2009

Deakul posted:

Guy talked like he had a mouth full of marbles. Maybe he has a speech impediment, idk, just get someone who can clearly enunciate to read the script.

enigmatikone fucked around with this message at 09:03 on May 12, 2017

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah I've been enjoying the combat, but I'm just sniping stuff with the pistol and blasting them with the shotgun. The Gloo gun loses its effectiveness once you start encountering stuff beyond basic mimics and phantoms, the Qbeam takes too long to kill stuff, and the various grenades are just tools to weaken things so they're easier to gib with the shotgun.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Does stuff dropped on the ground ever despawn or can I pick a spot(probably Morgan's office) and put my extra weapons there?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Not sure about stuff on the floor, but stuff in containers stays for sure. The safe in Morgan's office became good stash spot for me throughout my first playthrough.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The Q-Beam is really good against Weavers and Poltergeists, and you get tons and tons of ammo for it from operators. It synergizes really well with bullet time as well

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

CJacobs posted:

Not sure about stuff on the floor, but stuff in containers stays for sure. The safe in Morgan's office became good stash spot for me throughout my first playthrough.

Oh I didn't know you could put stuff back into containers. Yeah that sounds a lot safer than dropping items. I know in System Shock 2 I'd sometimes have items fall through the floor

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

cpaf posted:

It's really too big to fit in most places and despite being wickedly fast and one-shotting you if you stay still for a longass time in the open I never found it very formidable. Door dancing is effective

I get the feeling they wanted it to be like Alien: Isolation but a big monster instead. Comes at a cost.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Just started on this...are there any neuromod skills I should avoid? Any worth grabbing asap?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Stealth seems worthless utterly.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

G.U.T.S. is confusing because I have 0 sense of direction and frightening because I can't hide. It also made me question again how much time of a given engineering project is spent thinking of clever acronyms rather than working.

Let the terror consume you.

Bust Rodd posted:

Stealth damage bonus gives you MASSIVE increase of damage per bullet which saves you ammo which saves you minerals which lets you craft more neuromods.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The Q-Beam is really good against Weavers and Poltergeists, and you get tons and tons of ammo for it from operators. It synergizes really well with bullet time as well

Why would you waste valuable Q-Beam ammo on practically harmless poltergeists?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

alphabettitouretti posted:

Just started on this...are there any neuromod skills I should avoid? Any worth grabbing asap?

At the start of the game you're pretty fragile, so the medkit upgrade is pretty good. I got a lot of mileage out of the first Combat Focus or whatever is called, and the upgraded suit is a must have. I'm not missing repair, hacking and other engineering stuff, but I'm pretty sure other people will swear by them. I'm not touching the alien mods this go-around, so no idea about them.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
So deploying the three turrets for the security chief so we can fight monsters and poo poo. Problem is the fabricator is on the other side of the cargo Bay doors and I don't have a key card. There's an objective marker pointing to the security guard but I talk to him and he just gives generic lines. Help?

E: Figured it out, there was a cargo crate that could be brought to the upper levels.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 12:15 on May 12, 2017

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Bust Rodd posted:

It lets me walk up to danger close for greater shotgun justice without alerting my target.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The big wave of military operators was really not very scary against someone with 3 ranks of Combat Focus and a maxed-out Disruptor.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Kontradaz posted:

Reviewers pissy they didn't get an early review copy, game could have been the second coming of Christ and still get sucky reviews.

Gotta say it really does seem this way.

Not that I've put much weight in the big name review sites for the last 15 years though.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

hampig posted:

Gotta say it really does seem this way.

Not that I've put much weight in the big name review sites for the last 15 years though.

Neither does Zenimax apparently.

If they keep up the trend of releasing actually good games they can probably keep getting away with it.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I, too, think the combat is really good. Unlike most games I actually respect most of the enemies, because even if they're probably not gonna kill you, they can force you to deplete a lot of resources if you handle them poorly. Exploiting weaknesses is highly advisable even later in the game, and that's pretty cool imo.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

DancingShade posted:

Neither does Zenimax apparently.

If they keep up the trend of releasing actually good games they can probably keep getting away with it.

The thing is, there are a lot of people out there who get all their gaming news from sites like IGN and GameSpot. They might not even be aware of a game like Prey until they see it reviewed on those sites. This is especially true because the prerelease marketing was garbage for this game, yet again.

I think Prey is really loving good, and I want lots more games like it. But if it doesn't sell, we won't get any. The big sites are mostly garbage, but they are huge and games need the sales that their reviews and previews drive.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I think the basic phantoms magic ball of lightning that goes through walls and can be made and fired and angled even when glued is pretty dumb.

Actually the same goes for pretty much all phantom attacks. I have been killed through barriers by melee attacks, fire attacks... the monsters in the game just dont respect the environment and its very frustrating. They are also already so fast and dodgy that giving even the basic types really powerful ranged attacks seems weird. And that stupid screen blackening thing that happens in combat is the dumbest poo poo.

Also stealth is great when combined with the wrench upgrades. Just waltz up and instakill many phantoms and bring other dudes to the brink of death before shotgunning them or stunning them.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Does upgraded Leverage allow you to cause massive damage with thrown objects? Because it's worthless for removing barriers when recycler grenades exist.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Bardeh posted:

The thing is, there are a lot of people out there who get all their gaming news from sites like IGN and GameSpot. They might not even be aware of a game like Prey until they see it reviewed on those sites. This is especially true because the prerelease marketing was garbage for this game, yet again.

I think Prey is really loving good, and I want lots more games like it. But if it doesn't sell, we won't get any. The big sites are mostly garbage, but they are huge and games need the sales that their reviews and previews drive.

Those big sites are slowly dying. It's all about streamers and social media now.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Does upgraded Leverage allow you to cause massive damage with thrown objects? Because it's worthless for removing barriers when recycler grenades exist.

Yes. It makes smaller objects fly further and hit harder, as well as allowing you to chuck big poo poo to really knock the enemies around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Does upgraded Leverage allow you to cause massive damage with thrown objects?

So I have been told. I can never hit anything though so who knows, half the time I cant even carry big stuff anywhere because it gets stuck on passing geometry