Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Not sure where you are, but here you can get passes for a lot of local attractions (zoo, aquarium, museums) through the library that give you either a steeply discounted or free admission. It doesn't prevent you spending money for legoland/disney/etc, but for the smaller, local trips it's a godsend. You might want to check if there's anything similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
TBB's review of the Saturn V got my HYPE!

http://www.brothers-brick.com/2017/05/10/go-launch-lego-ideas-21309-nasa-apollo-saturn-v-review/

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

June 1st can't get here soon enough

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

So hyped for the Saturn, since I missed it what are the chances of another set like the Shuttle Expedition 10231 in the future ?

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
A while back someone here asked if the polybag R2-D2 would be a better scale for the USC Red Five. Someone on reddit tried it.
https://www.reddit.com/r/lego/comments/69oqfa/i_always_thought_the_minfigurescale_r2d2_was_too/?st=j2ei0tk7&sh=1e314a86
Turns out that it's too big. The closest to correct scale would be a three stud diameter dome, which doesn't exist.
There is this three stud wide cone however that with some custom stickers would make for a scale appropriate R5.

Fozzie Bear
Jun 4, 2000

Rockin' out at the god damn bank

Ineptitude posted:

I am getting dreadcited for this part of my kids lives. On one hand i am really looking forward to going to Lego lands, theme parks, zoos and such with them, on the other hand i know it's going to cost so much money :)

Looking back at it now, I actually wish I had spent more money, so need to dread. There was one option in the Safari to go into the cages and feed giraffes and other animals... really wish we had done that now.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Groetgaffel posted:

A while back someone here asked if the polybag R2-D2 would be a better scale for the USC Red Five. Someone on reddit tried it.
https://www.reddit.com/r/lego/comments/69oqfa/i_always_thought_the_minfigurescale_r2d2_was_too/?st=j2ei0tk7&sh=1e314a86
Turns out that it's too big. The closest to correct scale would be a three stud diameter dome, which doesn't exist.
There is this three stud wide cone however that with some custom stickers would make for a scale appropriate R5.

That was me, and I think I updated when I got home that it was too big based on a quick test. Ah well.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Managed to pick up the S17 Chef and 1930s Spaceman yesterday and they're both great! I especially love the spaceman and I hope he's the start of an ongoing theme of Flash Gordon/Tom Corbett retro space stuff.

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 13:01 on May 11, 2017

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

The Saturn V kit looks completely amazing. Just curious on sets like this- are they gobbled up super quickly by collectors and that's that, or can you find them for several months after release?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sometimes they become super rare but that hasn't happened for years. What you get now is rarity the first couple weeks, then in 1-2 months they're rotting on the shelves of every lego store on the planet.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

The Saturn V kit looks completely amazing. Just curious on sets like this- are they gobbled up super quickly by collectors and that's that, or can you find them for several months after release?

That's the big question on this one. It hasn't happened in a couple years, but one of the times it happened was a NASA set. No one knows if they're going to pull a Curiosity or a DeLorean. It certainly won't be in DeLorean numbers since it's so large, but it's a big set at a low price, so it might not be in print long, no matter how well it sells.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

xzzy posted:

Sometimes they become super rare but that hasn't happened for years. What you get now is rarity the first couple weeks, then in 1-2 months they're rotting on the shelves of every lego store on the planet.

I think it also depends a bit on the cross-section of genre and Lego fan.

Case in point: clearly there wasn't a big overlap in Lego fans and Beatles fans...

But I could see Lego Fan and Space/Rocket/NASA nerd being far greater.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Just buy it at shop.lego.com when it goes on sale. You should be fine.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Yeah, I ordered the snowspeeder directly from Lego at may 4th when it was on back order. It shipped yesterday, so I'm not worried about getting my hands on the Saturn V.
I don't think I've ever been this excited about a Lego set.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Groetgaffel posted:

I don't think I've ever been this excited about a Lego set.

You know what my problem is?

I say this with every Lego set I want... short of random purchases like Speed Champions...

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

While I love the star wars UCS sets, still, aside from when I got my hands on the discontinued B-wing, nothing really compare to my Saturn V hype.

Of course, that's most likely because I'm a giant space nerd.

Speaking of UCS though, I want a new Y-wing. The old one, in addition to having been discontinued a long time, isn't that impressive looking. The Y-wing from the Rogue One wave is virtually just as detailed and good looking.

A UCS A-wing would be great too, so I can complete my starfighter collection.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

That looks dope and I want it as soon as possible. I've never tried to buy a LEGO set at release, what's my best option for getting one? I'm within driving distance of the Dallas and Frisco LEGO stores, should I try to get one from the store or try to get in on the first window of online orders?

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

FBS posted:

That looks dope and I want it as soon as possible. I've never tried to buy a LEGO set at release, what's my best option for getting one? I'm within driving distance of the Dallas and Frisco LEGO stores, should I try to get one from the store or try to get in on the first window of online orders?
Just order from shop.lego.com. Even if they've run out of stock and put the kit on back order when you buy it, they'll just ship it as soon as it's back in stock, charging you when they actually ship it.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

The polybag R2 is wonderful. The middle leg is a little awkward though.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

McDragon posted:

The middle leg is a little awkward though.

Please don't post your mothers conversations with me.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Never ordered from Lego's site. Is paypal an option?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Never ordered from Lego's site. Is paypal an option?

Yup.

N17R4M
Aug 18, 2012

Because yes we actually DID want that land
I placed my first proper bricklink order earlier this week, for my first 'planned' build. I sketched out what I want to build in LDD (a Star-Wars spaceport themed diorama, that can be adjusted to fit any era/faction with minimal effort). The buildings in the sketch are far from final, and once I have the buildings and landing pad sorted, I will work on the finer details, like market stalls and interiors. The landing pad is big enough to fit most official ship builds, as well as my custom builds.

Quite fun to build stuff with parts you need, rather then trying to mish-mash something together out of whatever colors you have on hand.

click for beeg

I don't have all the baseplates yet, so I'm going to just do a smaller set up for now with the parts I have.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Ooh, that looks like the town square in Jedha where the big shootout happened (Rogue One).

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
The May 4th R2-D2 is my new favorite Lego set. The use of SNOT techniques is great and it's a perfect little build. I really hope they do more like this.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

I want to get the Saturn V so much, but according to the review posted above there is a lot of SNOT work to be done. I have never done any SNOT work, so what are some recommendation for sets that could teach me about it?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Maigius posted:

I want to get the Saturn V so much, but according to the review posted above there is a lot of SNOT work to be done. I have never done any SNOT work, so what are some recommendation for sets that could teach me about it?

Ummmm...

The Saturn V

That is to say, all you need to do to know how to do SNOT work on the Saturn V is its own instruction manual.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Follow the instructions? Lego steps are super easy.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah, it really just means you aren't putting bricks on top of bricks on top of bricks, but are sometimes attaching bricks to the sides of other bricks. Rather harder to design but only slightly harder to build.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I found S17 on Ebay for less than I would pay in CA after taxes. So I bought it and saved an hour or two of feeling bags.

Just finished building w/ my gf. We both agree this is the nicest of the series so far. Of the 16 I'd say 8 are great and the rest are almost all above average. Only bad one is gladiator. Butterfly girl is amazing. Might be my favorite CMF they have made so far.

As for SNOT. If you have built any sets from the last couple years, you have probably done it and not even realized.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I finally decided to get some Lepin, and went for the UCS Tantive IV. So far I'm impressed; the shipping was fast, all bags are present, the manual and stickers are in good condition, and the pieces themselves don't feel any different from actual Lego. If not for the lack of "LEGO" on the studs and the "Star Plan" on the manual and sticker, I probably couldn't tell it was bootleg. The only issue is finding the right pieces, since they use some arcane method of sorting only they understand (I'd sort them myself, but I don't really have a lot of containers and there's a cat in the apartment).

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Just lmao if you don't open all the bags and dump them in a single pile

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Lord Hydronium posted:

I finally decided to get some Lepin, and went for the UCS Tantive IV. So far I'm impressed; the shipping was fast, all bags are present, the manual and stickers are in good condition, and the pieces themselves don't feel any different from actual Lego. If not for the lack of "LEGO" on the studs and the "Star Plan" on the manual and sticker, I probably couldn't tell it was bootleg. The only issue is finding the right pieces, since they use some arcane method of sorting only they understand (I'd sort them myself, but I don't really have a lot of containers and there's a cat in the apartment).

I think they have a wall of drawers/boxes of the pieces/colors. Someone has a checklist of what is supposed to go in each set. They go down the list and the wall and fill bags until they are full then seal them. This explains why you will get groups of similar pieces in the same bags. ie: a bag full of 2x4 plates in various colors. then a bag of 2x6 plates. etc. You don't really see "normal" pieces mixed with different sized pieces that are way out of whack. LIke 1x1s mixed with 2x4 bricks. But when you get to specialty pieces on really odd shapes then you will see them grouped in big bags.

That's my take on it, anyway.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I wish Lego or would start selling boxes of parts just geared towards themes. Kind of like those Lego classic boxes but for more specific things. Like, a big box of sci fi stuff like canopies and engine parts and hoses and gray geebly bit's etc. Just general stuff for ships and robots or whatever. Same for any other theme. It would be nice if they started catering to people who like to make MOC's a little more.

Also, why are hoses so drat rare these days? I swear the only set I've even bought since i started buying them again that had them was Wall-E. I used to have tons as a kid.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Norns posted:

Just lmao if you don't open all the bags and dump them in a single pile

unironically yes

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

unironically yes

Don't do this if you are building a Star Wars.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

veni veni veni posted:

I 1-piled the UCE milennium falcon. 5600 grey pieces in 1 pile.

Never again.

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?

Ineptitude posted:

I 1-piled the UCE milennium falcon. 5600 grey pieces in 1 pile.

Never again.

If they do re-release the Falcon. I am absolutely doing this. It will be a fun 6 months.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

veni veni veni posted:

What if I'm building a Star Wieners?

duz fucked around with this message at 13:53 on May 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

veni veni veni posted:

I wish Lego or would start selling boxes of parts just geared towards themes. Kind of like those Lego classic boxes but for more specific things. Like, a big box of sci fi stuff like canopies and engine parts and hoses and gray geebly bit's etc. Just general stuff for ships and robots or whatever. Same for any other theme. It would be nice if they started catering to people who like to make MOC's a little more.

Also, why are hoses so drat rare these days? I swear the only set I've even bought since i started buying them again that had them was Wall-E. I used to have tons as a kid.

Lex Luthors mech had some hoses, As did a couple of Hero Factory guys I got on clearance a few years back

But they're the modern hoses that poke into a hole rather than snap onto a stud.