Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

bman in 2288 posted:

Keep in mind that this specific instance of adultery leads to Ange getting beaten up by Yakuza, and nearly shot to death. Indirectly, yes, but it was a factor.

I had an idea about the coins in the cup riddle, beyond getting ice cream for solving a simple riddle designed for children. Sure, it could still apply to the theory that S=K=B, but doesn't it seem like a bit of meta-narrative on Battler's part, about the actual story of Umineko? The story of a family conference, being told in what's basically an MST3K episode gone wrong, which is being read in a book by one of the family conference's character's sister. Leads me to think that it's not just foreshadowing, but elaboration of the situations in Rokkenjima.

Anyways, that's my two cents.

Por que no los dos?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

EagerSleeper posted:

Por que no los dos?

Non parlo spagnolo.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.

bman in 2288 posted:

Anyways, that's my two cents.

Goddammit

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

bman in 2288 posted:

Non parlo spagnolo.

我不会说意大利语,对不起。

(tis just a goof/meme that means "Why not both?" in regards to the interpretations of these puzzles in this gameboard. And then a further additional language goof "I don't speak Italian, sorry" in Mandarin.)

Question for thread: if all the characters got into a nonmagical fist fight, who would win?

I vote for Kumasawa. Mackerel does wonders for strength.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Evidence suggests Eva, but smart money is on Genji

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
If using legs is allowed, ZiegeDame is right, although in a fistfight obviously Krauss would lose to nobody

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
Battler isn't called that for no reason, guys, don't count him out.

Minor note: Mandarin is spoken. Chinese is written (and divided into Simplified/Traditional).

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Tired Moritz posted:

I'm trying to think of a reason why Kyrie is bad but I can't think of any. Maybe her envy problem/questionable taste in men but eeh could be worse.

Kyrie really is the best "real" character right now.

:colbert: Kyrie is the worst.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

Just when it seemed to be crying out sadly, it would suddenly turn into a roar and rattle the window, striking up even more fear and unease within me...

Light from the hallway poured in through the thin crack of the slightly open door... and it seemed to carry with it laughter that was warm and happy, but very distant... I'm sure everyone's in the dining hall or somewhere, having a good time... I want to go there as soon as I can... I'm sure my family will be there... I hate being all alone in a place like this... Dad... Mom...

I stubbornly tried again and again to open the door, but the merciless chain just wouldn't let the door open any further than that crack. On the contrary, feeling this close to a way out just made me more impatient. Gulping and trying to ignore the fear lurking behind me, I quietly closed the door. That light coming out of the crack... is just a trap. This is an iron shackle, trying to keep me locked in here for eternity by making me think I'm just an inch away from getting out a door that will never actually open...

BGM: Eternal Chains

When I closed the door, all that filled the room was that eerie sound of wind and rain. The way the wind picked up every now and then and shook the window frame felt like a monster in a cage shaking the bars... I was so scared of that monster... I couldn't help but avert my gaze from the window. Gotta search. If I can't get out the door, I need to find another way out...

Just to the side of the door was a closet. There was only enough space inside to hang overcoats. Of course, it didn't connect to anywhere outside the room. If this were hide-and-seek, it'd probably be fun to hide in there. However, inside this creepy room, it would be no better than stepping into my own coffin... If I go in there, maybe I won't be able to get out of the closet next. This fear I didn't understand sent a massive shiver up my spine, and I closed the closet door in a hurry...

There's... one door left. When I opened it, there was the bath and toilet. Of course, there was no exit. There weren't even any windows. If I turned the faucet, water would probably come out... then disappear down the drain and flow outside, but I couldn't get out that way.

BGM: None

I had the feeling that this was the only way out, so the black stopper in the bathtub drain looked extremely terrifying... I tried a lot of things, both mentally and physically, but there really was no way of getting out through the bathroom...

Beyond the window is a pitch-black darkness. The fierce winds and rain are slamming against the glass... The darkness on the other side of the window may have been unsettling, but I didn't really care where I went, as long as it was outside this room. However, the window... was clamped shut. Right down the middle of the window, which was made to swing open like a set of double doors, were several ugly metal clamps. It was even more unnerving than the chain on the door, like a rough operation scar on some bizarre monster. The wind and rain slammed against and shook the window frame, making it creak loudly. However, unlike the door, this wouldn't open even a crack.

...I've... had enough. Give it a rest already... What the hell's going on with this room...?

BGM: Closed my Heart

It's impossible to go outside except by the door and windows. And compared to that thick door, the window looks like it might be possible to break. I'll smash it. If I swing a chair at it, the glass will probably break. I might even be able to smash the wooden grid that runs through these latticed windows. All I need to do is make a gap large enough to slip out of. I grabbed a fancy-looking antique chair and headed back to the window.

A, aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh...! Smash it. Over and over. The glass smashed with a violent sound, and the frame groaned and creaked. Smash it, smash it. Over and over. If I can just break through the wooden grid...!

...Dammit... what... the hell... Even though the glass had been smashed apart, even though the cold rain that blew in tormented me, I just couldn't get that grid to break...! They weren't iron bars. It was just a slender wooden mesh... Even though it's fragile enough to make that creaking sound, why doesn't it break...?!

No wait, maybe it's almost broken. What if I try attacking it from a different angle instead of just smashing it head on? I stuck my left hand outside through the hole in the broken latticed window, grabbed the frame from the front with my right hand, and tried to break it by shaking it around from both sides. My left hand started to grow ice-cold from the frigid winds and rain...

But... if I can just get out of here, this much pain is no big deal. But, I can't get out. I'm stuck. It won't open... I can't break it...! The more violently I shook the frame, the more the glass fragments tore into my left wrist, causing me intense pain. Wait, what's... huh? Ow, owowowowow?!

Before I realized it, the glass fragments on the frame had extended outwards. It was as though an ugly beast was trying to chew my hand off with glass teeth. It didn't just feel as though they were growing outwards. They actually were getting longer before my very eyes, aaaah, and they're chewing my hand to bits...!! I tried desperately to pull my hand out, but it had already dug deep into my wrist, and I couldn't move it. I put all my strength into it, but it just hurt more and more, and the glass didn't even budge...! What... the... hell...?!! D, dammit, let go... let go, let go..!!

I hit the glass with my right fist over and over, but that just hurt my right fist and did nothing to release my other hand...

Wh, what?! It couldn't have been a leaf blown about by the winds, or anything like that...! I mean... it felt just like the touch of someone's rain-soaked hand... Then, it closed tightly around my left hand. When I felt the five fingers, I knew that some person out in the darkness was touching my left hand. And... yes... I know who it is...

BGM: Corridor of the Sands of Purgatory

The two hands soaked in the freezing rain... gently caressed my left hand.
However, though I could tell this was happening from the touch, I couldn't see anything out there in the darkness... Then, it felt about my fingers, and twisted my ring finger upwards.

O, owowowooow... I, it's gonna break... gyaaah...! At that moment, I saw something in the darkness for the first time. It was white. The darkness... grinned... and bared its white teeth. Then, that mouth filled with eerily white teeth, which had lined up next to my twisted up finger... opened wide...

E... eeek... It must have been laughing at me from the darkness. After all, that creepy mouth was twisting upward in a huge grin. I had a horrible idea of what it might be trying to do to my finger. A shiver ran up my spine. I resisted as much as I could, but the fangs of glass just wouldn't release my left hand.

And then, it gently bit my finger.

"I think I heard it too. It sounded like a clunk..."
"It's probably just the wind hitting a window. Heheh, this is a beat-up old mansion, after all."
"Yeah, it is pretty creepy. When I was a brat six years ago, I remember spending a lot of nights all scared that the witch really was walking around the mansion."
"Uu-, exists! Beatrice exists!"
"...What's at the other end of this hallway?"
"There are guest rooms there, but they aren't being used now."
"Yeah. After all, we have the guesthouse now. Until then, we would always stay in these guest rooms."

BGM: Minute Darkness

"Well, that's because it was just built. I wish I could move my own room over there. Shannon, Erika-san's room is in the guesthouse too, right?"
"Yes. We have prepared a room for her in the guesthouse."
"...And, since the guesthouse is a good distance away from the mansion, no matter what kind of trouble happens, you can't hear what's going on in one from the other."
"Heh. Are you still in detective mode? Ihihi, sounds as though you'll be disappointed when we wake up tomorrow and everyone can say 'good morning' to each other."
"*giggle*, true. It would be troublesome,if our numbers haven't thinned by tomorrow morning. Right?"
"A, allow me to guide you all to the guesthouse..."

The adults were apparently about to begin a conversation that they didn't want the kids to hear. The real family conference was about to start. As the kids and Erika followed Shannon on their way to the guesthouse, they passed through the entrance hall...

"...Should we watch TV in the parlor until it dies down a bit?"
"Mama said to go back to the guesthouse. Have to go or she'll get mad. Uu-."
"I think it'll be a lot more relaxed over there... I'm more than happy to stay away from our parents' unpleasant voices and faces."
"...*giggle*giggle*. It looks like everything's falling into place."

Erika giggled, an openly indiscreet look on her face.

"I'll go prepare some umbrellas for everyone. Please wait here."
"Oh, wait a second. It's been bugging me for a while. Who's the woman in that portrait?"

BGM: Lure

Still, we only just walked past it in the last game, which is no fun. Erika whispered to herself, but of course no one heard her.

"I've heard that she gave Grandfather a vast quantity of gold, meaning that she's to thank for the Ushiromiya family's revival."
"...She's just a witch of Grandfather's delusions. They say that her ghost walks the corridors of the mansion every night."
"Hey, quit it... That story always freaked me out when I was little, so much that I couldn't stand being in the mansion at night."
"Oh, right, that's true. What about now, six years later?"
"I'd totally forgotten, but looking at this portrait head on, I can feel that old fear coming back a bit."
"Uu-. Beatrice isn't scary. At least, as long as you respect her. If you don't..."
"...kihihihihihihihihihihihihihihihihi! Right, Shannon?!"
"Uh, yes. That rumor does exist among the servants as well. Rumors about servants patrolling at night bumping into mysterious silhouettes... or gold butterflies..."
"Yeah, was it last year or the year before? Didn't one servant fall down some stairs and get so badly injured that they quit? Wasn't there a rumor that it was Beatrice's curse? Ihhihihihi~!"

Jessica told it like a ghost story, trying to scare Erika, but Erika just laughed disdainfully.

"...It happened just after Grandfather had this portrait hung here, so it was probably the year before last. In fact, if I remember, this here is the staircase that servant fell down, right?"
"Yep. After all, this insanely huge portrait really stands out. Shortly after it was put up, everyone was talking about what it might be. And then, when the accident happened shortly afterwards, people started calling it Beatrice's curse."
"So, these ghost stories about Beatrice started after the portrait was displayed...?"
"...N, no. Rumors about Beatrice-sama's ghost walking about had been around even before that. However, I think those stories grew in number after the portrait was put there..."
"...Before then, even though they had heard about the witch Beatrice, they didn't have an actual distinct picture in their heads of what she'd be like. I imagine that this portrait made that picture distinct for them, strengthening the rumors even more."
"So, who started talking about the witch Beatrice in the first place?"
"Grandfather. He would get in a rage and start yelling about 'my beloved witch Beatri~ce'. Though until we saw that portrait, we had no idea what she looked like."
"It's no surprise that you'd get one or two ghost stories with a creepy portrait like this hanging around. You'd always get ghost stories cropping up around things like a portrait of Beethoven in the music room or the statue of the school founder."
"...True. It wouldn't be strange for a few ghost stories to arise in an old, gloomy mansion with the sound of wind and rain present in the background for so long. Well, it's nothing more than a ghost story, a delusion, a fairy tale. Worth less than the useless drivel of a half-sleeping nitwit."

Erika looked up at the portrait and smiled at it hostilely... As though she felt that this smile was disrespectful to Beato, Maria's face soured.

"Oh, how frightening. Please, curse me if you can, Beatrice. *giggle*giggle*."
"Ihihi. So, if we find you mysteriously dead next morning, it'll be the start of a witch's murder case. You're the detective, right? Wouldn't having the detective get killed off in the beginning be a little too radical?"
"Ah, that would be troubling. That would get in the way of the crime scene inspection. I see, even the Knox rules don't prohibit the detective being killed."
"I have something good! ...It's a charm that'll protect you from Beatrice's curse...!"
"A charm? You have a charm for something like that?"

"What are these?"
"Uu-! They're magic-repelling charms! Their effect is very weak, but if you use them, you'll definitely be able to avoid Beatrice's curse all night long."
"I've heard that spiderwebs are also useful for repelling magic."
"Uu-. That's probably because Beato is the incarnation of a butterfly."
"Huh? Wasn't it the evil spirits of Akujikishima that were weak against that? Kumasawa-san knows a lot about that sort of thing."
"...Witches... and evil spirits? Heheh, this is getting a bit interesting. Would you mind telling me about it in a bit more detail when we get to the guesthouse?"
"Here are umbrellas for everyone. It is still raining very hard outside, so please take care."

Shannon handed out the umbrellas she had brought. Everyone headed towards the exit...

Then, expanding out into a golden splash, it became a human form. In the hall, empty now that the children had left, Beato stood alone and silent, looking up at her own portrait...

"..."

Without a doubt, the figure depicted there was as like her as an image in a mirror. However, it felt as though its eyes and expression... were just a little different from hers. From her perspective, while the person in this portrait was almost infinitely close to herself, it was just as surely a different person entirely.

BGM: Voiceless

Beato had already finished reading the Fragments from Featherine's archive, which showed the tales of all the games so far. However, the witch called Beatrice who had been depicted in them... had been so vastly different from her. At the very end, it had looked as though that witch and Battler had connected just a little bit as rivals, but for the most part, Beatrice had just bullied and bullied Battler in nearly all of the tales. Even though this was about her, she had no idea why Beatrice had tormented Battler so much when she had supposedly been born for Battler's sake.

...All she had learned from Featherine's archive... was that the former Beato was a completely different person who defied understanding...

"...Your wings should have existed for Father's sake. Just when did you have one of those torn off... and end up so drastically different...?"

She had listened to the conversation Battler and the others had just been having. Beatrice can't handle scorpion charms...? Beatrice can't deal with spiderwebs...? It wasn't as though she would like to touch either of those if she had the choice, but nothing bad would happen if she did. Was being perfectly fine when around those... proof that she wasn't Beatrice...? Even though it was about herself, she didn't understand at all. So, she quietly gazed into her own eyes on the portrait. It felt as though the truth hid behind those eyes...

Beato slowly... approached the portrait... And then, she lightly touched it...

...Yes. This is... a doorway. A doorway to the long path that would lead her to the Golden Witch, Beatrice...

Beato felt a bit dizzy. She lost her balance, feeling as though the world was twisting around her. Then, she couldn't tell which way was up or down... and was swallowed downwards. With a soft, watery sound, Beato was sucked into the portrait...

However, there was nothing unsettling about it. It was a comfortable darkness, like when you put your head under the covers in bed at night. Beato... realized. This was a world inside herself. So, despite the darkness, she felt a warm embrace. As long as she asked for nothing, this world would ask nothing of her. But she couldn't remain like this. She didn't want to spend eternity inside the darkness of this world.

Yes, I need to hatch out of my egg. This darkness is the shell surrounding the gold butterfly called Beatrice.

She took her goal... her reason for being born... and put it in words. As if in response to those words, the seal on the shell began to melt away... Cracks appeared in the darkness... and a brilliant light enveloped the world...

And so, Beatrice... was born.

"...Huh...?"

BGM: Apathy

There I stood... along with another me. For a second, I thought that the me in front of me was the real Beatrice, the one I wanted to be more like. However, she was looking back at me with the same bewildered eyes, so I realized that wasn't quite it. That's right. I wasn't the only one born from the egg. She was also born.

...My twin? No, it feels a bit different. How can I put it? Both of us are lacking something and immature. Yes. Both of us are chicks, but we are also... fragments of the true Beatrice. It felt as though we could become the real Beatrice together. No one explained this to us. However, we naturally understood...

I decided to talk to this other me. Unless I get to know her and become one with her, I won't be able to become the Beatrice Father desires... In other words, the thing that Father wants from me... and was so heartbroken to find missing... must be something that she has...

"..."

The Beatrice with her hair down looked at me dubiously several times, then finally spoke.

"...Why... do you have the same face as me...?"

The true Beatrice also spoke in that manner. It looks like she really does have something that I lack.

"W, well... I don't know why either."
"I am the Golden Witch, Beatrice. And you are?"
"I, I am also... Beatrice. I was born for the purpose of serving Ushiromiya Battler."
"...I am the Golden Witch and the ruler of Rokkenjima's night. I know Ushiromiya Battler, but I have trouble imagining why I would have to serve a brat like him."

I realized that the thought I'd had a second ago, that together, we could become the true Beatrice... must really have been true. Though the person in front of me does have the part that makes her a witch, which I lack, she does not possess the mission to live for Ushiromiya Battler's sake. She has what I do not, and I'm sure I have something she does not.

"...No, that is not so. You are my little sister. I have been here since long before you were born."
"Huh? I, is that so...?"

I was born later... So, does that mean the mission to live for Ushiromiya Battler's sake was born later on...? However, I don't think my existence is something quite as faint and intangible as a mission. I have enough of a personality to think and act as I am doing now.

So, the witch Beato and I are separate people, both of us possessing something the other lacks. In that sense, maybe it's fitting for us to call ourselves sisters, as she says.

"I also wish to know. I understand that you are also 'me'. Why is it that you speak that way, and why must you serve Battler? As long as we cannot understand that, it seems both of us will remain immature."
"...I... want to become a complete Beatrice."
"Until you were born, I was complete. However, now that you have appeared, I believe that accepting you is my obligation. I also wish to know about you."

The witch Beato's tone was very slightly arrogant, matching with her self-proclaimed status as the older sister. However, since we both realized that we were the same person, there was no need to be unkind. This was probably because she understood that, after meeting me, her current form was no longer her real self.

"Where... are we? Is this... the hall of the mansion...? Oh-"

...In other words, did that mean that this was at least two years in the past...?

"Precisely. This is the hall of the Ushiromiya mansion. The night is my time. And the nighttime mansion is mine as well."
"That fool Kinzo is still so desperate to catch me or revive me. How truly ironic. Here I am, openly controlling the mansion every night. *cackle*cackle*!"
"So, what do you do here...?"
"...I have lost my body, and due to the effects of that hateful shrine, I have no magical power. However, I am reviving that magical power bit by bit every day. I can't wait to undergo a spectacular resurrection at the end so that I can taunt that Kinzo."
"I can't wait to tell him that I've succeeded in escaping from his cage...! I have become a ghost wandering about and killing time every night just so that I can look forward to that smile."
"C, can I come with you...?"
"Of course! After all, you are a part of me. How could a left hand refuse the company of the right hand? Why should I refuse? I shall be pleased to have you, my little sister, the new Beatrice."
"Th, thank you very much, b... big sister."
"A somewhat embarrassing name. But it is not bad. Come, let us go. Let us take a walk through the nighttime mansion. *cackle*cackle*, let me introduce you to my boring everyday life."

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I really hope the split personality/intersex/transsexual theories are off base. I'm kinda tired of seeing those characteristics applied to murderers in fiction. There are so many other characters with solid motives that don't boil down to otherizing. We don't have to keep going with the Celluloid Closet theory if any exposure is good exposure.

Anyway, having deposited that sad hope here, I think the thread is sadly devoid of Kumasawa's favorite fish. Here's a dead basic recipe that you can also apply to any other firm fleshed fish.

Shioyaki saba for 4

4 filets of Spanish mackerel (400 g should do you)
2 tsp sake (dry white vermouth or a dry not oaked white wine are okay too; you can omit this entirely but I like to cut the fishy smell with wine)
1 tsp salt (adjust accordingly if using kosher salt)

Rinse the filets and pay them dry. Put them in a shallow dish and sprinkle the flesh side of the filets with salt and wine. Cover and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes. (If I have more time, I double the salt and chill overnight for a dope rear end fish breakfast.)

Preheat an oven or toaster oven to 400 F (that's about 200 C right?) and prep a baking sheet with parchment paper or lightly oiled foil. If you're using a regular oven, position one rack at the bottom third and one at the broiler element.

Moisture should have been drawn out of your mackerel by the salting, so thoroughly pat your filets dry and then place them skin side up on your baking sheet. Bake the filets about 12 minutes or until the flesh is opaque white all the way through.

Then flip the filets skin side up, turn on your broiler, and move your baking sheet up to the broiler element if necessary. Broil until the skin puffs up and starts getting a nice golden crisp, about 3 minutes depending on how fast your broiler reaches temp.

I like mine with grated daikon and ponzu, but grated daikon and radish are more traditional. Serve with steamed rice and a light miso soup for a simple traditional breakfast. (Add Japanese style pickles, nori, and umeboshi to really have fun.)

This type of dish is something Kumasawa would have commonly served. There are way more and I'll do a simmered recipe next time I post a gripe about representation.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
three beatos?

Maybe it's supposed to represent Rosa/Kinzo's Beato, rumor Beato and then true murderer Beato?

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
The sisters thing is ringing some bells for me, but I cannot for the life of me figure out what's bothering me about it. I only think it has something to do with Battler.

I need breakfast.

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
I dropped away from this thread to reread the previous one, and have come to the firm conclusion that this thing is really, really long. And that's about the only firm conclusion I've come to. There were some theories I came in with that I wanted to find clues for, but I couldn't.
First, that Asumu is actually alive. She'd make a great villian, but I can't find any hint of that anywhere.
Second, that the riddle was already solved. The only hint there is the one time we see three bars of gold, but there's no hint about who found the gold. If it was Krauss who found it, basically nothing changes. Some people talked in thread as if they were sure Shannon found it, but I didn't see any evidence for that.
Third, that the red text about the number of people on the island is broken by somebody living on a boat in the secret harbor. They're only "on the island" for a few minutes to carry out their part of the scheme, and so aren't counted at the time the red text is given. Alas, a beautiful theory slain by a complete lack of clues.

There's actually one thing I did find out: Beatrice is Shannon (sort of).

I came to this conclusion because we do know a little about Beatrice, and only Shannon can fit. We know Beatrice didn't exist six years ago, but was still sinned against by Battler, who forgot his promise (I'm paraphrasing the red, which I know I shouldn't, but it keeps this readable) We also know clues must be presented, so there needs to be a clue about the promise. And there is, exactly one, from the start of Ep 3, when people have just arrived on the island:

Jessica: "Shannon. By the way, what was Battler like six years ago? Remember any interesting episodes?"
Shannon: "Let's see... I'm sure that he said something like this when he left. 'I'll be back, <see you again>. I'll surely come for you riding a white horse'."

And then he didn't come back for six years. Six years that Shannon spent on the island, where she says she feels trapped. I'd call that a forgotten promise that'll upset her.
But that promise isn't tied to Beatrice. Well, we've seen how a witch gets created: a person is very, very unhappy in real life and needs to believe in magic as an escape, to keep themselves sane. We see this in both Ange and Maria. With Ange, we even see it end, then see her slide back into it when she's under the pressure of being hunted. Shannon, after the broken promise, would have been in the right situation to create a witch herself. Instead, she borrowed one (which Kinzo and Natsuhi do as well), the legendary witch of the island and Kinzo's past, Beatrice. Servants seem to have thought Beatrice existed for long before Shannon, so just as when Natsuhi was pressed hard enough she started having tea with imaginary people, Shannon started seeing Beatrice, who she may have already believed in. I should stress this isn't speculation; at the start of Ep 2, from Shannon's point of view, we see her having conversations with Beatrice and even making a deal with her.
Of course, Shannon isn't Natsuhi, so instead of believing she's Beatrice's equal, she sees herself as furniture, a servant, who follows orders. And Beatrice tells her to kill. The other servants, and even Nanjo, who believe in Beatrice, listen to her.
I'm not saying she's the source of all murders, except maybe Ep 1; it's clear there are other killers and even other plots going on. And in Ep 5, it's clear the change in game master changed the game entirely.
What about George? Would this newly engaged, and now very happy, girl still need Beatrice around? Unfortunately, yes. If you go the flashback giving us the first look at their romance, Eva makes a point of grabbing Shannon and telling her that no servant girl is nearly good enough for her son. George never defies his family, but Battler has, by breaking off with them. One promise means a lot more than the other.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

bman in 2288 posted:

The sisters thing is ringing some bells for me, but I cannot for the life of me figure out what's bothering me about it. I only think it has something to do with Battler.

I need breakfast.

Well, Shannon and Kanon treat themselves as siblings, with Shannon being the older one. That would imply that Shannon is the one that is the 'ruler of Rokkenjima's night', while Kanon is the one that 'lives for Battler'. Now if that's correct (or if it's even applicable to the board) I'm not quite sure.

I see we're having a new 'piece' on the board this time, similar to how Cliff-Baby was a piece last time. Someone who's theoretically wandering around Rokkenjima murdering everyone, but not part of the group.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

I really hope the split personality/intersex/transsexual theories are off base. I'm kinda tired of seeing those characteristics applied to murderers in fiction. There are so many other characters with solid motives that don't boil down to otherizing. We don't have to keep going with the Celluloid Closet theory if any exposure is good exposure.

Sorry for upsetting you! I totally get where you're coming from. Characters like Buffalo Bill and Lois Einhorn (from Ace Ventura) are awful and frustrating and represent a complete Pyrrhic victory as far as trans representation goes. So far, I have faith that the story will treat its central character well, regardless of what's going on with her. I mean, the text is really sympathetic to her, given that Battler, the audience surrogate, has literally fallen in love with her.

My small hope is that idonotlikepeas' theory that she is not the true killer is correct. To quote EagerSleeper, porque no los dos?

witchcore ricepunk fucked around with this message at 17:31 on May 10, 2017

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

witchcore ricepunk posted:

Sorry for upsetting you! I totally get where you're coming from. Characters like Buffalo Bill and Lois Einhorn (from Ace Ventura) are awful and frustrating and represent a complete Pyrrhic victory as far as trans representation goes. So far, I have faith that the story will treat its central character well, regardless of what's going on with her. I mean, the text is really sympathetic to her, given that Battler, the audience surrogate, has literally fallen in love with her.

My small hope is that idonotlikepeas' theory that she is not the true killer is correct. To quote EagerSleeper, porque no los dos?

Oh no, I wasn't meaning to criticize you at all. I just think you might actually be correct but I'm hoping that the story doesn't turn out that way.

It's a fair enough reading of the story and the genre tropes it trucks in. Even if The story treated a trans murderer sympathetically, it's still... you know? And MPD is such a tired rear end cliche that I'd be really disappointed if the author relied on it as the crux of the mystery.

I definitely don't think people are theorizing about that in ill will or anything. The responsibility is ultimately Ryukishi's, and I'm both eager and anxious to see what theory comes closest to the truth.

Also I like your new name, bub. :shobon:

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

BurningStone posted:

We know Beatrice didn't exist six years ago,

Point of order, the red truth is Six years ago, no person called Beatrice existed for [Battler].

Which is not the same as Beatrice didn't exist. It just means Battler never knew or interacted with Beatrice, not that Beatrice didn't exist at all. This update even seems to indicate that Beatrice existed in some form before Battler did whatever that lead to her falling for him.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

And MPD is such a tired rear end cliche that I'd be really disappointed if the author relied on it as the crux of the mystery.

I sympathize with all your points, believe me. However, at this point it is all but certain that alternate names/identities/personas are involved here. The only way to break EVA's web at the end of EP 3 without violating Knox's 1st is if Shannon is dead or Kanon is dead (or any [Name] is Dead really) does not preclude the named person's body still being alive under a different name. This doesn't have to mean an actual split personality, though it does imply a certain level of compartmentalization. Say for example that I stopped posting forever, never used the internet again, and lived the rest of my life in the woods. You might be able to say in such a case that 'ZiegeDame is dead' yet I would still be capable of murdering unsuspecting wildlife for lunch.

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011

ZiegeDame posted:

Point of order, the red truth is Six years ago, no person called Beatrice existed for [Battler].

Which is not the same as Beatrice didn't exist. It just means Battler never knew or interacted with Beatrice, not that Beatrice didn't exist at all. This update even seems to indicate that Beatrice existed in some form before Battler did whatever that lead to her falling for him.

Right, you remind me of a point I wanted to make: in Ep 1 when Battler is asking everybody if Beatrice exists, they always says "Beatrice 'exists' " with single quotes around the 'exist'. Beatrice has no physical body, but people's belief in her makes her 'exist' and effect the world. She's still a piece, I guess you could say. The opposite of your example of stopping posting and appearing dead: actually being dead but still able to post.

ZiegeDame posted:

I sympathize with all your points, believe me. However, at this point it is all but certain that alternate names/identities/personas are involved here. The only way to break EVA's web at the end of EP 3 without violating Knox's 1st is if Shannon is dead or Kanon is dead (or any [Name] is Dead really) does not preclude the named person's body still being alive under a different name. This doesn't have to mean an actual split personality, though it does imply a certain level of compartmentalization. Say for example that I stopped posting forever, never used the internet again, and lived the rest of my life in the woods. You might be able to say in such a case that 'ZiegeDame is dead' yet I would still be capable of murdering unsuspecting wildlife for lunch.

On the side, I'm not sure you need an alternate personality to break that red (it would do the job, of course). The harder one for me is when Kinzo, and there can't be a mistake about it being him, shoots people, when we know he died over a year ago. Either somebody rigged an animatronic killing machine out of his corpse or the name has moved on.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
This episode also contains a friendly reminder that somebody (Kanon?) pushed a servant down the stairs for poo poo-talking Beatrice.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

ZiegeDame posted:

This episode also contains a friendly reminder that somebody (Kanon?) pushed a servant down the stairs for poo poo-talking Beatrice.

In addition to that, during Gohda's TIPS it was Kanon who was graphically describing the poo poo that Beatrice would do to all the staff members who did not respect the legend. Genji had to reign him in from indulging in some choice Beatrice action, and help clean up the pile of pots and pans that Kanon (presumably?) made to scare Gohda.

Also:

quote:

"Uu-. Beatrice isn't scary. At least, as long as you respect her. If you don't..."
"...kihihihihihihihihihihihihihihihihi! Right, Shannon?!"
"Uh, yes. That rumor does exist among the servants as well. Rumors about servants patrolling at night bumping into mysterious silhouettes... or gold butterflies..."

Reads to me as Maria doing a 'wink wink nudge nudge' sort of deal with the person that she knows is actually Beatrice.

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011

EagerSleeper posted:

Reads to me as Maria doing a 'wink wink nudge nudge' sort of deal with the person that she knows is actually Beatrice.

I thought the same thing, though I'm trying not to find confirmation bias in every line now.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Even if The story treated a trans murderer sympathetically, it's still... you know? And MPD is such a tired rear end cliche that I'd be really disappointed if the author relied on it as the crux of the mystery.

I'm going to stick with "not the canonical murderer", although even absent that she is definitely someone that planned murder, so your first point is still valid. As for the rest, I doubt we're dealing with a literal case of dissociative identity disorder; it would be more likely to be like different parts of yourself having a debate, except some of these parts have been given explicit names and identities. Masks, more like. If it were really a more serious disorder, just for instance, I wouldn't expect the personalities to be able to have a nice chat about which one will be annihilated when they decide to live as a different one. It all just feels a little too intentional, you know?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

EagerSleeper posted:

Yeah, that was my first thought as well. It almost feels like they're laying it on too hard.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

CottonWolf posted:

Yeah, that was my first thought as well. It almost feels like they're laying it on too hard.

I mean, it's Battler writing all these things. Whether it's a hint to the truth or a trap to get Erika to believe specific lies, I don't think Battler is very good at subtlety.

Graylien
Aug 12, 2013
In all the Japanese media I've read I honestly don't think the gender twist has ever ended up involving an actual trans person, it's always just someone cross dressing for whatever. I can never decide if that's actually better or not.

In this case it could be that creating a person completely opposite from yourself, who can live out the life you never could, might also mean that person being a different gender, especially if there's already a rumour of a powerful witch you can use as a basis. It would certainly make more sense to involve a trans character, but I stopped expecting that reasoning to work on fiction a long time ago.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
don't you know? the murder mystery genre is dead.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Graylien posted:

In all the Japanese media I've read I honestly don't think the gender twist has ever ended up involving an actual trans person, it's always just someone cross dressing for whatever. I can never decide if that's actually better or not.

two were definitely commentary on Japanese gender roles/expectations - one handled way better than the other, but one made absolutely zero sense and would've worked way better if the character was trans and not 'parents made her dress like a boy for reasons???'

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

"Hahaha, I remember how Aunt Natsuhi used to get mad at you all the time."
"But eventually, Shannon managed to overcome that forgetfulness."
"Oh, and how'd you do that?"
"...Heheh. It wasn't anything big, but I got into the habit of writing things down. I'd write down wherever I put something important. For things that happened often, I made a checklist and always made sure to check it..."

"Oh, umm, didn't see her directly, but, umm... some very strange things did happen..."

She was talking about a certain summer night. It was when Shannon was doing the nightly rounds...

From her perspective, it was a ghost story. From the witch's perspective, it was just the story of a little summer's night prank...

BGM: In The Sun

"N, no. What is that, big sister?"
"Hmm. The time of witches has long since passed. Those vile humans who claim to control everything came to deny our existence and possess a strong toxin."
"Is that toxin harmful to us...?"
"It is extremely dangerous. If it got to us, our forms would probably evaporate in an instant."
"However, one thing we do have in our favor is the fact that our existence is still extremely weak. Because of that, the toxin does not affect us greatly. At worst, it can only transform us into mist for a time."
"However, we'd rather avoid it if we can, right?"
"Correct. Yes, I see that you are me. You understand quickly."

The older sister appeared to be haughty at first, but, perhaps because she was so happy to have met her double and little sister, she was more than willing to teach her anything she wanted to know.

The first thing she had taught her was that they were witches, a different type of being than humans. Beato had thought that she wasn't a witch because she couldn't use magic, but apparently, she was still a witch nonetheless. Then she was taught that witches such as her, unlike humans, were bound by various restrictions. The greatest of those restrictions was the anti-magic toxin possessed by humans.

"Correct. You can think of it as though human eyes radiate the toxin. If they see you, it is the same as your body being burnt. Though they are lesser in extent, being heard or sensed can also result in contact with the toxin."
"...So, it's dangerous just for us to get close to humans..."

Wasn't Father a human...? Why am I not burnt by Father's toxin...?

"If we stock up magical power and have it acknowledged by humans, that toxin can be reduced drastically. In other words, by having our existence acknowledged by humans, we make them lose their toxin, making it possible for us to appear before them once more."
"I see... Simply put, as we are now, we can only exist when humans aren't around..."
"We are still very lacking in magical power, which makes us inferior to even a stray cat hiding from humans in the shadows."

The main goal of the older sister was to gain a large supply of magical power and be revived as a great witch strong enough to have no fear of the anti-magic toxin. For that purpose, she had wandered around the mansion night after night, striving to regain her magical power and reduce the anti-magic power of the humans...

The powerful previous Beatrice, whom she had read about in Featherine's library, had appeared openly in front of humans and had even toyed with them at will. According to her big sister, such a level of power was most impressive.

"Yes. She was like a witch from a picture book, appearing openly before the humans of the mansion and summoning magic and underlings at will..."
"Hmmm, how inspiring. If that is our future, it means that all of our hard work will have been worth the effort."
"That's right."
"...Anyway, big sister. How are those efforts and going around unlocking windows like this related...?"

...It felt more like a child's prank than the work of a witch...

"Eheheh, this is the path that leads to becoming a great witch. All journeys begin with a single step. To those who cannot understand, that first step may look quite foolish from time to time. However, it is still a momentous first step...!"

With pride, as though making the first step for mankind on the surface of the moon, the older sister undid the lock on a window with a *click*.

"Do you not understand, my little sister? Can you not see what makes something like this momentous?"
"...? No, big sister. I don't really understand."

The older sister closed her eyes lightly, smiled, and opened the unlocked window a crack. Cool outside air flowed in, making the curtains flutter.

"I shall go further. 'Right now, there is no one in this corridor'. And yet, the lock has been undone, and the window has opened. Can you see how great a miracle, a work of magic, a proof of our existence that is? Even you should understand the coolness of this breeze..."
"...I do understand. It's nice and cool..."
"The coolness, the softness of the breeze. And the feel of the fluttering curtain touching your hair. All of these things show that we truly are here."
"So, by unlocking the window like this, we can leave behind proof that we really did exist."
"...And that is why I unlocked it."

Of course, it wasn't just small pranks like opening a window. She could also smash windows and vases or leave behind strange fires and mysterious scribbles. In fact, one time, she actually did play a large-scale prank in the kitchen, piling up kitchenware in an eerie manner and leaving behind a bizarre scribble, which scared the servants considerably. It had been a complete success. It had been truly terrifying, and she had succeeded in making the servants acknowledge the existence of magic, weakening the anti-magic toxin...

However, she chose to make her presence known by unlocking windows. By doing this, she could release herself from the restrictions imposed by the humans' toxin.

We won't have to be afraid of anyone's gaze anymore. We'll be able to fly wherever we wish, disappear whenever we want. Laugh however we like, prank however we like, talk with anyone we want to. Humans might ask things of us from time to time. They might fight with us or play with us too. What wonderful things for us frail creatures, who cannot appear before anyone, to look forward to...

"...Right now, they are little more than pranks. However, as they pile up, proof that we exist will begin to gather. The servants already call me the witch Beatrice, master of the night, and are beginning to believe in me bit by bit."
"The more they believe, the more those humans will lose their anti-magic toxin..."

...I see... So, this means that Father has no anti-magic toxin. And, that's because he truly believes in the existence of the witch I am, without any doubts. I finally realize that, though I'd thought him to be cold, Father did possess a kindness that couldn't be seen...

"I'd like to become a great witch and appear in front of everyone soon. Yes. Eventually, we will be able to appear openly in front of anyone."
"By doing that repeatedly, we will make people believe in us, and eventually, we shall display even our magic for all to see. After that happens, we will descend upon Rokkenjima as the great witch you told me of. Ahahahahaha!"

BGM: Look Back

"It does sound credible, in a way. When humans are frightened to hear that they've entered a ghost hot-spot, they're likely to start yelling 'ghost, ghost!' at the drop of a hat."
"That's right. All phenomena are fundamentally neutral, indifferent, and dull. If one wishes to have them be accepted in a certain manner, they must first create a suitable environment..."
"If a person has charisma, people will interpret what they do in a positive way, even when they screw up... I see. I guess in that sense, the Beatos' small efforts aren't for nothing."
"If it was just the mansion's locks being undone, everything could be resolved by saying that someone forgot to lock up or that it was some kind of prank. However, the rumors of a witch wandering about the mansion night after night slowly began to take shape as the existence of the witch."

After the Beatos finished their mischief of unlocking and opening the window, they enjoyed the coolness of the wind and the brightness of the moon, then became gold butterflies and disappeared into the darkness. There was no way of knowing whether the window they had opened had actually been opened by them. The servants might have forgotten to lock up, or one of the family might have opened it after the servants had locked up and forgotten to shut it again, or maybe someone had played a prank. In the same way that none of those possibilities could be denied, it was also impossible to deny the possibility that a witch really had opened a window to enjoy the night breeze...

"However, people who believe in the possibility of a witch can imagine that it was a witch's prank. When that happens, the scene of the Beatrices' prank that we have just seen is etched into the Fragment as a fact..."
"...That's one of the foundations of magic. Decorating... the process."

With just a little magic, even a mass-produced stuffed animal... can be reborn as a wonderful, unique stuffed animal filled with a mother's love. If you doubt it, it will be burnt by the anti-magic toxin. If you believe it, the magic will become the truth.

BGM: A Single Moment

"The power to repel evil magic may be necessary for a child of man. However, it is the nature of love in the human world that it does not burn away and defile love-filled magic."
"...Well, good magic is the only kind I can forgive. For all other kinds, the best remedy is to deny them and burn them away."
"Heheheheheheheh... A typical answer for a child of man."
"Getting back to the point. Knowing this much, I guess this means that the ghost Beatrice, who was called the ruler of Rokkenjima's night, doesn't really exist."
"It's nothing more than a general term for any inexplicable occurrences that took place in the mansion at night. In other words, Beatrice isn't the name of a person, it's the name of a phenomenon."

If anything bizarre happens, it all becomes the work of the Golden Witch... That 'environment in which a witch could exist' is what Beatrice is.

"...That all piles up until we reach 1986. This is the veil that the true culprit is hiding behind. And the person hiding behind it is, without a doubt, a human."
"Let us say that this holds true at this point in the witches' tale of the past. However, I doubt you can use that argument alone to fight all the way through 1986, don't you...?"
"..."
"Heheheheheheheheh..."

BGM: Smile-less Soiree

"W, well, you may say that, but... umm... B, but this isn't just something that happened once or twice..."
"In other words, you're a klutz, a fool, and a moron of a servant who forgot to check not just once or twice, but many times over?"
"...Shannon isn't the only one. That same window was always opened even when other servants did the rounds."
"Yeah, Mom even asked me if I'd ever left a window open in the hall at night. I had absolutely nothing to do with it, but she still got pissed. Sheesh."
"I'm sure Beatrice wanted to gaze at the moon. Uu-."
"It is a bit creepy to have that happen over and over at the same window. And that time where the kitchenware was piled up in the kitchen, with a creepy magic circle scribbled there... that sounds even more freaky."
"...Y, yes. They said it was an eerie magic circle drawn with something like blood... Ever since then, people have been scared to patrol the kitchen..."
"About the case of the eerie magic circle in the kitchen. Who witnessed that?"
"Well, uh, it wasn't me... I, uh... think I heard about it from a servant kid who quit. I wasn't on duty that day..."
"So, it's basically like this. Just like how the story of some popular haunted location is exaggerated, you servants like to have a little fun telling ghost stories about the mansion at night, right? By doing that, you speak as though the witch exists and infect others with that belief."
"...So, all of the eerie things that are supposedly done by Beatrice are baseless rumors, which are either the result of coincidence and accident or something that someone fabricated for fun. Is that what you're trying to say?"
"Exactly. Of course there's no way Beatrice exists."
"Uu-... Beatrice exists."
"I'm glad you understand so well, Battler-san. There's probably some person by that name, or else multiple persons of known or unknown number who take actions to support that claim. However, this delusion of a Golden Witch Beatrice that we're all thinking of is completely impossible."

BGM: Nighteyes

"Ooh, could you tell me about that in detail? You met Beatrice? And did she show you magic or something?"
"Uu-! I see her all the time! Every time I come to Rokkenjima! And she always shows me fun magic!!"

Denying the existence of the witch would always have the immediate effect of infuriating Maria. However, Erika, who didn't know to avoid this topic, had challenged her head on. But no matter how Maria tried to smooth over the matter of Beatrice's existence, she stood no chance of defeating the ruthlessly intelligent Erika in an argument...

George and Jessica hurried to calm Maria down, but Maria's anger could not be settled by this point.

"<Good>! So, she showed you magic? Could you explain in detail what kind of magic?"
"She would always use magic to give me candy as a present!! Beato can create candy with magic!!"
"She just took it out of her pocket, didn't she?"
"No, she didn't!! It was magic! It was incredible!! Tons of candies poured out of an empty cup!"
"W, wow, that's some awesome magic..."
"That's right, that really would be magic...!"
"Yeah, it was magic!! It really was empty!! I checked inside it myself!!"
"Huh? What do you mean, you checked inside it?"
"G, give it a rest, Erika-san... She's just a kid..."
"Anyway, Erika-sama, would you like some more t-kyah-"

"You'll have to tell me in more detail, Maria-san. What do you mean when you say that you checked inside it? Fortunately, we have right here with us a tea cup that's just been overturned and emptied! Come on, be my guest and reenact what happened then, okay?! Let's see it, if you would, let's see it!!"

After holding the cup of black tea, which she had just overturned and was still dripping, upside down over the table, Erika slammed it down hard and slid it over to Maria. Erika's eyes glowed repulsively, like those of a snake about to snap up a frog. Those eyes were ice-cold and had a madness in them that made one want to avert their gaze. On the other hand, Maria was glaring furiously, her whole body shaking uncontrollably, in the greatest expression of anger that a human can manage. The look on her face was frightening... not at all something one would expect to see on a nine year old girl.

"S, stop it, both of you...!"
"Uuu--!!! Okay!! So Beatrice took the empty cup!! Then she did this!! And she put it upside down on the table!!"
"Yes, and then what?! Did she then lift it up and candies flowed out?! Incredible, that really would be magic, right? It *would* be!!!"

Battler and the others tried to get between the two and calm them down, but it was no use. The two violently pushed aside the others, and, glaring at each other from so close that their foreheads banged together, they repeatedly slammed down the upside down cup on the table.

:siren:Video: Erika VS MARIA:siren:

BGM: Death (from stupefaction)

"Then why don't you reproduce it for us?!! Founder of Mariage Sorciere, the Witch of Origins, MARIAAAAAA!!"
"Lady Erika, this opponent is not worth your TIME. This battle is not worth FIGHTING..."
"Shut up, murder doll!! Alright!! How do you claim that the overturned cup was filled with candies?!"
"Just turning the cup over won't make candies come out!! Because you have to use magic to make them come out!! Beato can use magic because she's a witch!!"
"Oh yes, magic, she used magic!! How did she use magic?! Did she swing a magic wand and tap the cup to make candies pour out?! *giggle*, no, that can't be it, right? Right?!"
"Beato is a witch so she used magic! Magic is when you say an incantation and cause a miracle!! You can't use the magic that makes candy unless you say the incantation!!"
"Oh, sure, understood. <Good>, <good>, very <good>!! Let's see this incantation, let's see this magic, come on, what kind of incantation would a witch use? What kind?!?!"

"Ooooooooooh? And then whaaaaaaat?"
"Look, the inside of the cup... is filled with candy!!!"

Maria grasped the overturned cup so tightly that it nearly cracked, and slowly... lifted it up...

Maria looked at Erika with a full smile, as though saying 'that showed you'.

"<Good>!! Is this what you call Beatrice's magic?! Dlanoooooooooor!!

"..."
"...As you WISH."
"I won't let anyone deny Beato's magic!! After all, magic is magic!!"
"Magic is impossible. You might be telling a lie about something that never happened!!"
"Repetition DEMANDED. Failure to respond will be a violation of Knox's 7th."

"This wouldn't have anything to do with a trick in the actual cup or table, making this just a sleight of hand, right? That would be against the rules, wouldn't it?!?!"
"Hidden devices and tricks are in violation of Knox's 3rd. However, if and only if foreshadowing has been presented, these are permitted by Knox's 8th."

Knox's 3rd prohibits hidden doors and devices that have no clues pointing towards them. However, by presenting foreshadowing and clues that point towards the existence of said devices, Knox's 8th allows them to be used.

"They had no such tricks in them!! It was just an ordinary table and an ordinary cup!! That's why it's magic, not sleight of hand!!"
"...UNDERSTOOD. By Knox's 9th, we acknowledge that Lady MARIA witnessed MAGIC."
"Ahahahahahahahahaha!! That's right, with the 9th at least!! Observers are always allowed to speak their personal opinions! Otherwise, mysteries where the culprit is seen dressed up as a woman and it's written 'I saw a woman' would all be disqualified!! Sure, that's fine, claim that you saw magic all you want!!"
"All truths are nothing more than claims! So, I'll make a claim separate from yours and smash right through yours!! That is the detective's duty, and the time we shine the mooooooost!!"
"You can't break through this, this is magic!!!"
"Since it is magic, only witches can use it, right?"
"That's right, only witches can use it!!"
"...So, if a human like me could use it too, that would mean it isn't magic, right?"
"You can't use it!!! Only Beato can use magic!!"

"If you think you can, just try!! Impossible, impossible, useless, useless! There's no way a human can do it!!"
"Then please, please, please just relax and watch!! Okay, here we have an empty cup. Is that okay? It is, isn't it? Then we turn it over on the table like this!!"
"...Let it be known that this fight has no point..."
"..."
"Okay, can you say the incantation for creating candies? In fact, why don't we say it together? Come, try and picture it!!"
"The inside of the cup is filled with candy!! Try and picture such a wonder!!"

"Humans are stained by the anti-magic toxin!! If a lowly human saw it, the miracle of magic would be wiped out of existence!! That's why there's a rule that says lowly humans have to close their eyes when using magic!!"
"I see, I see. Okay, I understand the protocol used by humans performing magic!! In other words, not once have you ever witnessed the moment the magic happened! Isn't that right?! Look, it's done! Please, try and lift up the cup, okay...? After all, I've used the magic to make candies appear."
"There's no way someone who makes fun of witches could use the candy magic...!"
"But if it actually did work, all the better."

After glaring at Erika with the utmost of malice, Maria slowly stretched her hand out towards the overturned cup... There was no way that Erika, someone who made fun of witches like this, could ever use magic. There was no way that there'd be candy there...

"...So, how's it look inside?"
"...Ah-"

BGM: Haruka

"...See?"
"..."
"...This is magic, right?"

Erika smiled gently... A look of disbelieving shock rose in Maria's eyes... along with envy for this person who could use the same magic as Beato...

"Erika... you can... use magic too...?"
"See? It's magic, isn't it? What I did there."
"Y, yeah!!"
"So, in other words-"

Erika smiled pleasantly. She and Maria had finally reached a deep understanding...

BGM: Miragecoordinator

"I mean, seriously, did you really get tricked by such a stupid sleight of hand? The magic that your perspective speaks of is completely untrustworthy!!!"
"Everything that you ever thought was magic was just a trick that you didn't get!! There's no way it was magic! There's no way magic exiiiiiiiiiiiiiists!!"
"...Huuuh?!"

"However, you also can't prove that it could only have been done with magic!! You rotten stuffed animaaaal!!"
"...Please, allow me to speak."
"Know that this is a meaningless battle."
"You drat scraps of paper!! Why'd you have to butt in at the good part...?!!"
"That is ENOUGH. Lady MARIA has been shown that the magic which makes candy appear in a cup could possibly be a trick that she misunderstood to be MAGIC. Therefore, her claim that it was magic is DISMISSED."
"However, it might really have been magic when Maria saw it...! Just because it can be done by a sleight of hand doesn't disprove magic."
"...Well done, Lady Erika. Congratulations on crushing Lady MARIA's Illusion of the WITCH."

BGM: Mother

If someone can argue back and say that it would be possible without magic, the Illusion of the Witch is defeated, and the witch must retreat. The magic that Maria claimed to have seen had the possibility of being a trick, so it was unqualified to be acknowledged as magic. That was only the result of this battle. It was still too early to bring the fight into the domain of denying Beatrice, the witch and the magic that Maria believed in...

However, battles will always end instantly when your opponent surrenders. Erika had wanted to hit Maria with everything at once, defiling the witch and magic she believed in and crushing it without a fragment of compassion...

Erika grumpily punched Dlanor's arm that had been restraining her. However, that cold, hard, marble-like arm just made Erika's hand hurt.

"...D, diplomatic immunity...! This battle is over...!"
"Allow me to speak. Diplomatic immunity accepted."
"...Know that this fight is childish."
"Did you say something?!"
"She did NOT. Let us WITHDRAW. Lady MARIA is no enemy of yours, Lady Erika. There is no need to pay any attention to small fry such as THIS."
"...Hmph. You're right. How childish of me, tearing a kid's dreams apart."
"I'm really sorry, okay? I apologize for my momentary lack of elegance. *giggle*giggle*. Let's go."

Erika's group turned their backs on Maria, who was still crouching down limply. However, as detectives in famous mysteries have always done in the past, Erika clapped her hands, stopped, and turned around.

"Oh, that's right. What do you think...?"
"...?"

"...!"

Erika's merciless words gouged themselves into Maria's heart once more...

Erika left, leaving an evil laugh behind her. After bowing to Maria and Sakutarou, Dlanor left too. Gertrude and Cornelia followed suit...

After that, only Maria and Sakutarou were left in the lonely Golden Land...

BGM: Eternity

"...Beato... is a witch..."
"Uryu... Beato is a witch..."
"It was magic... *hic*... *hic*... it was magic... It was magic... Beato used magic to give you candy... You don't need to doubt that..."
"...Uryuu-...! Please believe in Beato... You know that magic can't bear fruit unless you believe..."
"Uuuuu... uuuuuuuuuuwaaaaaaaaahhhh..."

In the middle of an ice-cold drizzle, which had started falling at some point, Maria sobbed... Trying to at least protect her from the rain, Sakutarou used his large sleeves to cover Maria's head... and stayed there by her side...

"...Erika-san. As an adult, I cannot condone that conversation just now."
"My apologies. I'm still just a kid, after all."
"...*hic*, *hic*..."

After seeing that wonderful candy magic brutally insulted by Erika, Maria had been crying this whole time...

"Haah... I started noticing it at the quiz party after dinner, but your personality is screwed up."
"Do you think this is fun?! Do you like tearing a little kid's dreams apart?"
"P, please stop, Battler-sama...! Please, for my sake, don't push any further here...! Please...!"

Shannon, who had been looking flustered, bowed her head deeply and implored Battler to stop. George, who didn't want Shannon pressured, fell in line.

"Let's go. Let's spend this year in the cousins' room too. We can watch TV and play cards."
"...I've heard that Erika-san has her own room. Shannon, please guide her."
"Oh, no need to bother yet. I'll relax down here for a little while longer. I want to savor it a bit."
"...What the hell are you trying to savor... pft."

Battler and the others could no longer hide their irritation. They had no obligation to entertain their uninvited guest any further than this. Erika herself understood perfectly well that no place would welcome a detective. Battler and the others wanted to leave, and Erika wanted to stay. Neither had any desire to stop the other. Jessica urged Maria, who was still crying, to come along...

Then, Maria stopped and spun around.

"...Got a problem?"

BGM: Smile-less Soiree

"They don't believe in witches, or magic, or miracles, or happiness! You can't become a witch if you let the toxin of people like that burn you to ashes! I may not look it, but I'm Beatrice's disciple! I'm the Apprentice Witch of Origins! Kihihihihihihihihihihihihihi!!!"

Maria, who had been sobbing until a second ago, seemed to have been transformed into an entirely different person. She laughed... no, cackled eerily. Battler's group stiffened up at this sudden change, but Erika was watching calmly. Then, she smiled and gave a small nod in response.

"<Good>. You've got some guts. Goodnight, <Miss> MARIA. Let's fight in a more satisfying game next time."
"Sure, let's. It's a promise... Kihihihihihihihihihihihi."
"Y, you stop that too, Maria...! Come on, let's go."
"What about you, Shannon-chan? You can play cards with us, if you want."
"Come on, join us for at least one round. It'll cheer you up."
"Uh, ah... th, then, just for a bit..."

Shannon couldn't remain in this suffocating lounge any longer either. In part apologetic and in part trying to escape, she followed after Battler's group...

After that, Erika was the only one left in the lounge... Still wearing a thin smile, she tapped a glass with her finger. There was a light *chink*. A surprisingly boring sound. Even so, Erika wore a thin smile, as though pleased...

"...You just missed them. They went up to the second floor. I'm the one who called you here. I've heard that you know a lot about the story of Akujikishima and the story of the witch of the forest."
"Yes, well. Hohoho. It is a trivial story, but..."
"I don't mind in the slightest if it's trivial. Would you like a drink to follow your bath? Even I like to be helpful every now and then."

Quinn2win fucked around with this message at 13:46 on May 12, 2017

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."
The second screenshot is wrong.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Truly the best character of the series.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."
In Which Erika Furude Gets In A Fight With A Nine-Year-Old

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
Is this the first direct confirmation that Sakutaro was mass produced? Also lol if you imagined Erika just smugging it up at a 9 year old while everyone watches.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
If I'm to be honest, if Erika pulled something like that on one of my family members, she'd get punched in the face. Is it typical in Japanese customs to allow the guest to walk all over you like they're the head of the house? Actually asking.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
It's typical around the world to avoid conflict and punching little girls in the face

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

It's MAGIC. I don't have to explain shit!

Well, at least she's still working to disprove magic. That makes her the good guys, yes?

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

oath2order posted:

Well, at least she's still working to disprove magic. That makes her the good guys, yes?

She would be an ally, if it weren't for the fact that she seems to come up with solutions that only benefit her entertainment, not necessarily the truth. Disproving an autistic 9-year-old's notion of magic in the most inappropriate way possible is, in fact, completely pointless.

So yeah, she's basically got the same goal we have, prove this is a murder mystery, and not a fantasy story. But she's doing it in a way that's completely at odds with the truth, if the last game is any indication.

I have a lot of friends who are assholes. They'd all be sick of Erika's poo poo from the word "go", and wouldn't bother asking for her help.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Erika Furudo, fiction's greatest detective.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Those are some...uh...faces, there, Erika.

I'm not exactly sure what that makes Sakutarou. This update implies that he's a mass-produced toy beforehand, but the red That is a special stuffed animal! Made by Rosa for her daughter's birthday, and in the entire world, the only- suggests otherwise. It could be that Rosa made him, and then mass-produced him afterwards, or it could be the opposite, that she purchased him, and the interpretation of Knox's 9th possibly allows for that red to be true. Either way, it's not really something that hasn't been guessed.

oath2order posted:

Despite the phrase, the enemy of my enemy is not necessarily my friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Remember that red was never completed. How you interpret that is up to you, but there's something to be said about how she couldn't complete her statement.

• Locked thread