Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Having animals ripped apart for entertainment is bad IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Yes, but what if it was banned just to annoy toffs? This complicates matters but ultimately my sympathies lie with them, for they know true oppression at the hands of tyrannical government.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

kapparomeo posted:

You mean the post that went "A whole bunch of posh folks block up the roads parking on verges so they can watch some other toffs run about in a field." I wonder what the Banwen Miners' Hunt feel about that.

The hunting ban was never for one second about animal welfare - I might be more sympathetic to it if it was, but any appeals to ending cruelty are hypocritical (when will we have a ban on angling, which also meddles with the environment and inflicts far more animal suffering on a far greater scale - and don't bother with the usual weaselly excuse about food, as most angling is catch-and-release) and an insincerely distant secondary concern to the main issue, to stick it to "the toffs" (and the thousands of working class people who participate in hunting are just class traitors anyway), to exact revenge for the miners' strike (in the words of Dennis Skinner), and latterly to get a few rah-rah-rahs in the Commons (as when the SNP declared that it would oppose relaxing the ban even though Scottish hunt laws are more liberal than English ones). Tony Blair needed to throw his left a bone to distract them after the Iraq War started falling to pieces and they obligingly gnawed on it.

I think people would be a lot more sympathetic to fox hunting if it was also 'catch-and-release' rather than ending with the fox being torn apart by dogs.

It also seems odd, if it is all about punishing the toffs, that the government would choose to persecute a sport which a broad cross-section of rural people participate in and not a sport like shooting which is much more closely associated with land and title.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

learnincurve posted:

I'm not pro-fox hunting, but the ban has had a hugely negative effect on the fox population in the country . Idiots on horseback were doing that thing where the weakest died and the population was being kept under control. farmers were not allowed to go out and kill them all because biffy and the lord of wankershire must have their fun. The c/hunt was banned and farmers simply go out and shoot every fox they can find, because foxes are nasty little shits who will shred any lamb they can get hold of, often leaving them alive, or kill a whole hen house full of chickens and just take one.

Derbyshire could have told them that would happen, one of the Dukes of Devonshire who have traditionally been decent old boys who don't treat people like poo poo, didn't like fox hunting and banned it on his land (most of Derbyshire) because he thought it was barbaric, not just for the foxes but because horses are liable to lame themselves on dry stone walls. We have very very few foxes.

It's what happens when you are hell bent on winning voters over as quickly as possible without listening to the civil service, and giving them time to come up with a solution.
I don't see how this is a problem unless foxes are in danger of extinction. They're pests and I'm fine with farmers using efficient, humane methods to control their numbers. It sounds like if anything the fox hunting ban has made that easier to do.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

quote:

The guiltiest pleasure at Los Angeles international airport’s (LAX) new private terminal for the mega-rich is not the plush, hushed privacy, or the beds with comforters, or the massages, or the coriander-scented soap, or the Willie Wonka-style array of chocolates and jelly beans, or the Napa Valley cabernet.

It is the iPad that sits on a counter at the entrance, with a typed little note: “Here is a glimpse of what you’re missing over at the main terminal right now.”

The screen shows travellers hauling bags through packed terminals, queuing in long lines, looking harassed and being swallowed into pushing, shoving paparazzi scrums – routine hazards for the 80 million people who pass through LAX each year.

“There they process thousands of people at a time, they’re barking. It’s loud. Here it’s very, very lovely,” said Gavin de Becker, who runs the new terminal, called Private Suite.
Hang, eat them, etc.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/may/12/lax-private-terminal-rich-people-celebrities

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD
In lieu of Pissflaps being here to point this out: a huge chunk of the electorate like Labour policies but see Corbyn as too toxic to vote for. I'm not apportioning blame here as we've had enough of that derail in UKMT - just stating this as fact. How do you solve the problem?

I still think the divide in Labour between the new wave of membership/Corbyn on one side and the PLP/"Blairites" on the other only has one natural result: a split. I'm not saying this is good (or bad), just that it's the only logical conclusion I can see from this.

Bape Culture posted:

Why doesn't the government set up an investment bank or something that creates a lot of profit for the country from foreign sources instead of taxes? Probably a really stupid question with a very basic answer.
Most Governments/national banks buy low-risk foreign bonds as part of its investment portfolio, which is the same effect you're describing. ("Buying" a bond is in simple terms the same as issuing a loan out, with interest earned etc). I can't find any information on if the UK does this.

kapparomeo
Apr 19, 2011

Some say his extreme-right links are clearly known, even in the fascist capitalist imperialist Murdochist press...

Guavanaut posted:

So was the ban on coursing for hares in the same act just to stick it to the Irish and Travellers?

I doubt most lefties have sufficient nuance to appreciate the difference - the League Against Cruel Sports ends its article on hare coursing by inviting you to be outraged at the Eton College Beagles chasing a hare, for that little sprinkling of extra toffee sweetener.

Party Boat posted:

That post, and yours, also completely disregard the legal and less disruptive option of trail hunting.

The Liberty & Livelihood march was the largest single protest in UK history up until that point and today it's only second to the Iraq War demonstrations, which doesn't indicate a population relieved to be free of the redcoated yoke. I think that anecdotes about the disruption foxhunting causes ought to be qualified.

Gorn Myson posted:

In what way does the intent matter? It was plainly obvious what Blair was doing back when he pushed it through but its loving laughable that you've now attempting to defend fox hunting. Most people in this country do not think highly of blood sports and banning this one falls into that perspective. Sticking two fingers up at the toffs is just a bonus.

Then how do you respond to learnincurve's post about fox numbers collapsing after the ban? Under the ban animal suffering has only proliferated.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Then let's ban domestic ownership of cats while we're at it. Do a billion songbirds have to die from these notorious recreational killers every year just so you can have something fuzzy to stroke in the evening?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

kapparomeo posted:

I doubt most lefties have sufficient nuance to appreciate the difference - the League Against Cruel Sports ends its article on hare coursing by inviting you to be outraged at the Eton College Beagles chasing a hare, for that little sprinkling of extra toffee sweetener.

The Liberty & Livelihood march was the largest single protest in UK history up until that point and today it's only second to the Iraq War demonstrations, which doesn't indicate a population relieved to be free of the redcoated yoke. I think that anecdotes about the disruption foxhunting causes ought to be qualified.

Then how do you respond to learnincurve's post about fox numbers collapsing after the ban? Under the ban animal suffering has only proliferated.

Then let's ban domestic ownership of cats while we're at it. Do a billion songbirds have to die from these notorious recreational killers every year just so you can have something fuzzy to stroke in the evening?
omg shut the hell up, person who thinks slavery was good.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
on the topic of foxhunting - some people like to do some kind of messed up stuff for fun, and i think we should respect that. for instance, i enjoy beating tories to death with blunt instruments.

Paxman
Feb 7, 2010

Ewan posted:

In lieu of Pissflaps being here to point this out: a huge chunk of the electorate like Labour policies but see Corbyn as too toxic to vote for. I'm not apportioning blame here as we've had enough of that derail in UKMT - just stating this as fact. How do you solve the problem?

I still think the divide in Labour between the new wave of membership/Corbyn on one side and the PLP/"Blairites" on the other only has one natural result: a split. I'm not saying this is good (or bad), just that it's the only logical conclusion I can see from this.

Most Governments/national banks buy low-risk foreign bonds as part of its investment portfolio, which is the same effect you're describing. ("Buying" a bond is in simple terms the same as issuing a loan out, with interest earned etc). I can't find any information on if the UK does this.

The Tories had this problem in the past. Polling found their policies were actually quite popular, until they were told that they were being proposed by Iain Duncan Smith, the Tory leader at the time.

They solved the problem by getting a new leader.

Given that most of Labour's policies cited here are pretty much the same as they were before Corbyn became leader, I think Labour should consider doing the same, at least once the election is over. It could stick with the Miliband policies which seem to please both the public and Jeremy Corbyn's supporters, but get a new leader.

The one policy in those BritainElects Tweets which is new is "renationalising the energy industry". However, that's not actually Labour policy, at least not if the leaked draft manifesto is correct. That's how it was presented by parts of the media, but the actual policy is to set up regional publicly-owned energy companies which would compete with the privatised utilities. The energy firms which were privatised would not be renationalised.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD
https://twitter.com/George_Osborne/status/863003098385702913

What next George? Maybe a review of other drugs?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

kapparomeo posted:

You're a complete monster and surprise, you're ok with fox hunting. You yourself are evidence of why fox hunting must be bad. Congratulations.

Regarde Aduck fucked around with this message at 13:18 on May 12, 2017

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

kapparomeo posted:

If your argument is ad populum we should probably refer to the 80+% support for the ban.

Additionally the timetable for the poor oppressed mining hunt whose site you linked to shows that they're still meeting weekly, twelve years after fox hunting was banned. Trail hunting does not seem to have killed their rural community.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Paxman posted:

Given that most of Labour's policies cited here are pretty much the same as they were before Corbyn became leader

This is completely incorrect but nice job winging it out there as a "fact" upon which to base your next declaration in the hopes that nobody would remember.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

kapparomeo posted:

I would say that there are better ways to control the population of animals than through blood sports. The only reason you're swinging your arms defending this is because you have consistently sided with the British establishment on almost every issue.

Theres another tick against kapparomeo; he thinks that its fine to murder animals for your own amusement.

If it turns out that hes big into arson as well then I'm going to suspect that he might be a serial killer.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Remember that time someone was looking after an injured fox and a hunt noticed it and broke into his garden and murdered it. These people are totally normal and doing legitimate work and love nature.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

hakimashou posted:

is there anything more british?
How much time have you got?

I mean, off the top of my head, cricket, steam trains, a vast number of writers and other entertainers throughout history and the NHS.

I got described once by a friend as "the most British person I know", so I'm probably more British than fox hunting.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Regarde Aduck posted:

Remember that time someone was looking after an injured fox and a hunt noticed it and broke into his garden and murdered it. These people are totally normal and doing legitimate work and love nature.
I read this and all I could think was "kapparomeo would fail the Voight-Kampff test".

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Lovechop posted:

on the topic of foxhunting - some people like to do some kind of messed up stuff for fun, and i think we should respect that. for instance, i enjoy beating tories to death with blunt instruments.

Bigot.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Stand down guys, blood sports are actually as Red as you can get - remember Tristram Hunt's scorchingly hot take on Engels' love of fox hunting?

Edit: wasn't the point of the Voigt-kampff that quite a lot of normal humans now would fail it? Even the idea of eating meat was meant to trigger revulsion.

Kegluneq fucked around with this message at 13:36 on May 12, 2017

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

kapparomeo posted:

You mean the post that went "A whole bunch of posh folks block up the roads parking on verges so they can watch some other toffs run about in a field." I wonder what the Banwen Miners' Hunt feel about that.

Looking forward to you also demanding other working class blood sports like cockfighting and particularly dogfighting to be legalised, you reprehensible slavery apologist.

Paxman posted:

The Tories had this problem in the past. Polling found their policies were actually quite popular, until they were told that they were being proposed by Iain Duncan Smith, the Tory leader at the time.

They solved the problem by getting a new leader.

Given that most of Labour's policies cited here are pretty much the same as they were before Corbyn became leader, I think Labour should consider doing the same, at least once the election is over. It could stick with the Miliband policies which seem to please both the public and Jeremy Corbyn's supporters, but get a new leader.

The one policy in those BritainElects Tweets which is new is "renationalising the energy industry". However, that's not actually Labour policy, at least not if the leaked draft manifesto is correct. That's how it was presented by parts of the media, but the actual policy is to set up regional publicly-owned energy companies which would compete with the privatised utilities. The energy firms which were privatised would not be renationalised.

You can keep repeating it but it's simply not true that this is just Miliband policies. As someone not on the Corbyn bandwagon (but who thinks a loving general election campaign is probably the wrong time to attack him, Jess Phillips you loving clown), I don't have any faith that an Owen Smith or Yvette Cooper type will put forward nearly as bold a manifesto. Just watch as it only turns into a circle jerk of "it's the '83 manifesto all over ago, we must run to the centre ground even though the centre ground is considerably to the right of where it was even in 1997". So what I'm saying is I look forward to more loving controls on immigration mugs.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/863010662066343938

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

At last an exit from the EU that I can agree with.

Kegluneq posted:

Edit: wasn't the point of the Voigt-kampff that quite a lot of normal humans now would fail it? Even the idea of eating meat was meant to trigger revulsion.

Eating dog was meant to trigger a response, and the response didn't have to be revulsion - a positive response would have done as well. The point of the question is that a human might be revulsed or made dubious by the thought of eating the unusual foods or even enthused because it was a traditional dish of his country, but a replicant would not understand why it wasn't just dinner.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

Paxman posted:

Given that most of Labour's policies cited here are pretty much the same as they were before Corbyn became leader,

lol

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Is there a table on the last few labour manifestos for comparison

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Full text of Corbyn's speech on Defence & Security. http://press.labour.org.uk/post/160582006344/jeremy-corbyn-speech-at-chatham-house

Highlights:

Highly critical of interventionalism.
Critical of pandering to Washington
Will use armed force only as last resort
Back Geneva talks for Syria
Human rights & "social justice" backbone for foreign policy

Policy "announcements"
- Will conduct review of UK strikes against ISIS
- Maintain 2% GDP Defence Spend
- Invest in diplomatic & consular networks
- New "Minister of Peace" (sounds a bit Orwellian..) who will work across MOD and FCO
- Continue support for Paris Climate agmt
- No First Use nuke policy (first use policy currently is ambiguous)

And finally he has this to say on arms sales to Saudi
Labour will re-examine the arms export licensing regulations to ensure that all British arms exports are consistent with our legal and moral obligations.

This means refusing to grant export licences for arms when there is a clear risk that they will be used to commit serious violations of international humanitarian law.

Weapons supplied to Saudi Arabia, when the evidence of grave breaches of humanitarian law in Yemen is overwhelming, must be halted immediately.

As far as I can tell that is no different from the current policy ("clear risk.... serious violations...." wording is word-for-word identical to current arms exports regs). The threshold for what constitutes a clear risk and serious violation are incredibly open to interpretation and are currently subject to an ongoing High Court case, where the current Gov argues what has happened in Saudi does not meet the threshold for a "serious" violation. I guess there is an assumption that Labour will soften this definition, but as announced in Corbyn's speech it leaves it open for them to continue these sales if they wish to. Details if you're interested in the case

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Breath Ray posted:

Is there a table on the last few labour manifestos for comparison

I don't know of one, but the last manifesto promised a freeze on rail fares, giving the energy regulator more powers, reducing the deficit by cutting spending, a cut on business rates, CONTROLS ON IMMIGRATION, a reduction in tuition fees, etc. Basically all slightly watered down versions of Tory policy so as to be marginally less shite.

The 2017 manifesto is substantially more radical in every respect.

But still not radical enough for this trotskyite hard left stalinist.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

lol

just lol

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Hey remember when Ed Miliband also promised to abolish student fees and renationalise energy companies and Trains?

They're so similar!

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
The legacy of Red Ed, who grew up reading Das Kapital over the breakfast table, lives on.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Has to be old people with 40% of the vote. Its been a farce ever since the ex Soviet states were added.

Can anyone remember any Eurovision song from he past 2 decades?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

ukle posted:

Has to be old people with 40% of the vote. Its been a farce ever since the ex Soviet states were added.

I haven't even watched Eurovision in the past 2 decades & I still remember Lordi & Hard Rock Hallelujah. Mostly because I already knew of Lordi before that & thought they were pretty pish.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

kapparomeo posted:

The hunting ban was never for one second about animal welfare - I might be more sympathetic to it if it was, but any appeals to ending cruelty are hypocritical (when will we have a ban on angling, which also meddles with the environment and inflicts far more animal suffering on a far greater scale - and don't bother with the usual weaselly excuse about food, as most angling is catch-and-release) and an insincerely distant secondary concern to the main issue, to stick it to "the toffs" (and the thousands of working class people who participate in hunting are just class traitors anyway), to exact revenge for the miners' strike (in the words of Dennis Skinner), and latterly to get a few rah-rah-rahs in the Commons (as when the SNP declared that it would oppose relaxing the ban even though Scottish hunt laws are more liberal than English ones). Tony Blair needed to throw his left a bone to distract them after the Iraq War started falling to pieces and they obligingly gnawed on it.
As a previous green and a current labour voter I really dont give a toss about fox hunting. As a carnivore i dont really see how I can complain. I love pork and bacon and the factory farmed animals that make my meat have a much more horrible life than a wild beast, at least they got to get out a bit.

Id question the mentality of people who enjoy watching small animals getting ripped to shreds by a pack of dogs but in the grand scheme of things, no dont actually care much.

I also admit to enjoying the fox hunting ban just because it pisses off rich cunts.

Wish someone would just perfect the vat grown meat already and it would take the whole ethical dilemma away.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Fans posted:

Hey remember when Ed Miliband also promised to abolish student fees and renationalise energy companies and Trains?

They're so similar!

I dont know if you are serious without the table unfortunately

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Oberleutnant posted:

I don't know of one, but the last manifesto promised a freeze on rail fares, giving the energy regulator more powers, reducing the deficit by cutting spending, a cut on business rates, CONTROLS ON IMMIGRATION, a reduction in tuition fees, etc. Basically all slightly watered down versions of Tory policy so as to be marginally less shite.

The 2017 manifesto is substantially more radical in every respect.

But still not radical enough for this trotskyite hard left stalinist.

You're probably right however promising controls on immigration and ordering a three line whip on article 50 seem like the same thing

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

ukle posted:

I liked Fly On The Wings of Love, the 2000 winner.

I missed the Lordi one sadly.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Seaside Loafer posted:

As a previous green and a current labour voter I really dont give a toss about fox hunting. As a carnivore i dont really see how I can complain. I love pork and bacon and the factory farmed animals that make my meat have a much more horrible life than a wild beast, at least they got to get out a bit.

Id question the mentality of people who enjoy watching small animals getting ripped to shreds by a pack of dogs but in the grand scheme of things, no dont actually care much.

I also admit to enjoying the fox hunting ban just because it pisses off rich cunts.

Wish someone would just perfect the vat grown meat already and it would take the whole ethical dilemma away.

Eh, industrial animal farming is pretty lovely but having foxes ripped apart for the amusement of some Tarquins & literally no other purpose is a lot worse.

Breath Ray posted:

You're probably right however promising controls on immigration and ordering a three line whip on article 50 seem like the same thing

They aren't. Nothing precludes Labour from opening the borders to both EU & non-EU citizens.

Breath Ray posted:

I dont know if you are serious without the table unfortunately

Do your own research you lazy git

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Old Flaps probably doing burpees and starjumps somewhere, ready to get back in the posting game right now

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

ukle posted:

2013 was a good year for weird Eurovision with Greece's Alcohol is Free and the gay Romanian vampire disco. There's definitely other mad ones I'm forgetting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
How can you forget 2004 winner and former Ukrainian member of parliament Ruslana?

• Locked thread