Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Our builder just put the handrail on the inside of the curve, with a vertical pole right in the center. It's so easy to use.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

peanut posted:

Our builder just put the handrail on the inside of the curve, with a vertical pole right in the center. It's so easy to use.

That's perfect for jumping down the stairs quickly.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

peanut posted:

You can do that?!?

Do your hands ever have trouble finding the vert rail in the dark, or is it a natural thing to grab? It sorta looks like you have to reach far forward and up/down to get a grip of this before ascending / descending.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

It's in a very natural position, and easy to slide your hand up/down as you go around the tight corner. I tip-toe up/down the stairs in the dark carrying babby at least once a day. My feet have more trouble than my hands do... but My Big Fat American parents still said our stairs were narrow and steep.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

peanut posted:

It's in a very natural position, and easy to slide your hand up/down as you go around the tight corner. I tip-toe up/down the stairs in the dark carrying babby at least once a day. My feet have more trouble than my hands do... but My Big Fat American parents still said our stairs were narrow and steep.

Have you ever used it to run across the exterior wall? If not, will you teach your children this after installing a net on the other side? (Safety third!)

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

H110Hawk posted:

Have you ever used it to run across the exterior wall? If not, will you teach your children this after installing a net on the other side? (Safety third!)

The kids will learn this themselves and peanut will shout at them when he sees the footprints on the wall.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Hmmmm I'll have to get another baby gate

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Kitchen cabinets all in.

Final electrical starting tomorrow.

And the great news, got an offer on current house, gone back and forth a couple times and I think we're real close.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Holy poo poo man, this is like a real house now.

Happy to see it so close since I've been following from the beginning. It really turned out great (other than that banister, and I'd live with that, but paint it the same color as the wall in semigloss so it wasn't so obvious).

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Gounads, you and your wife have great tastes. I've liked everything I've seen so far.

Reggie Died
Mar 24, 2004

MrEnigma posted:

They trimmed it out before finishing painting?

How else would they hit the caulking with wall colour?

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Just signed papers accepting offer to sell. Hopefully the rest of that process goes smooth and I only own a single house in July.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Is that a spot for a microwave over the stove? I would make sure you splurge on the actual microwave. We have a cheap one, and the heat from the stove has caused all sorts of problems. poo poo like control pad delaminating and the thin stainless warping so it interferes with the hinge :psyduck:

Probably because we cook more than normal, and sometimes have all 4 burners going, but still.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

BrianBoitano posted:

Is that a spot for a microwave over the stove? I would make sure you splurge on the actual microwave. We have a cheap one, and the heat from the stove has caused all sorts of problems. poo poo like control pad delaminating and the thin stainless warping so it interferes with the hinge :psyduck:

Probably because we cook more than normal, and sometimes have all 4 burners going, but still.

Nope, just a big range hood. Microwave goes on that shelf closest to the camera on the peninsula opening to the right.

Imagine appliances in black stainless steel hotness (http://www.lg.com/us/discover/black-stainless-steel-series)

We bought our backsplash tile: https://www.wayfair.com/EliteTile-Pharsalia-2-x-2.25-Porcelain-Mosaic-Tile-in-Glossy-Gray-EML1163.html

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Appliances look great! Very cool following the house build. That banister bugs me but it is a small detail.

About a year ago updated my original 1960 kitchen and modified original cabinets to fit a dishwasher and fit a microwave over the stove, holy smokes does it make a difference. We have not had any issues with the microwave over stove and my wife cooks and bakes ALL DAY multiple days a week (sells cakes and cupcakes and stuff)

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?
I never thought of myself as an autist, but that bannister is really spinning me out. I would go to considerable expense to remove those right-angles, especially given the rest of the house's pleasing and classic aesthetics.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

You know, I think I've figured out why that bannister bothers me (and also why I've never seen anything like it).

Most staircases I've seen that turn (but aren't spiral) usually have a landing and then a new set of stairs are connected at 90 degrees. Here the stairs sweep around that corner and combined with the bannister posts necessitates all those right angles.

If it had a landing, then you'd have the rail from upstairs stop at the landing, a horizontal rail across the open side of the landing, and then a normal sloped rail for the remaining steps.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
It's looking real good. And after they get the certificate of occupancy (presumably the last inspection?) you can maybe do whatever the gently caress you want with that railing.

My sister is also building a house right now and it's really fun to see it all come together.

mshade
Jul 13, 2001

flosofl posted:

You know, I think I've figured out why that bannister bothers me (and also why I've never seen anything like it).

Most staircases I've seen that turn (but aren't spiral) usually have a landing and then a new set of stairs are connected at 90 degrees. Here the stairs sweep around that corner and combined with the bannister posts necessitates all those right angles.

If it had a landing, then you'd have the rail from upstairs stop at the landing, a horizontal rail across the open side of the landing, and then a normal sloped rail for the remaining steps.

Staircases that turn without a landing are called "winder" stairs and they are somewhat common because they have less of a tops-down footprint and can fit into tighter floorplans. I have one in my house but it was built in 1985 and in general it seems the inspector just rubber stamped everything, so my handrail is not continuous like Gounad's. If you google image search for "winder stairs handrail" there are a bunch of different approaches to it, it is tough to make it look fluid, but I actually don't see any with the "right angles only" approach.

PleasusChrist
Oct 20, 2010

Does code require that the railing be on that wall? I wonder if you could just flip it to the other wall. That would at least help with how it ties into the landing area.

EDIT: This dude can obviously do this slant. Why the gently caress did he do this?!

PleasusChrist fucked around with this message at 16:26 on May 12, 2017

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

PleasusChrist posted:

Does code require that the railing be on that wall? I wonder if you could just flip it to the other wall. That would at least help with how it ties into the landing area.

EDIT: This dude can obviously do this slant. Why the gently caress did he do this?!

It was explained before. Minimum height requirements for those spans. A straight slant would fail per code apparently in that section. That plus bannister post placement necessitated either the right angle party or a curved sloping bannister which would be super expensive as a custom part.

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

PleasusChrist posted:

If his state is IBC based it likely can be only on one side.

PleasusChrist
Oct 20, 2010

flosofl posted:

It was explained before. Minimum height requirements for those spans. A straight slant would fail per code apparently in that section. That plus bannister post placement necessitated either the right angle party or a curved sloping bannister which would be super expensive as a custom part.

I saw the part about the minimum requirements, but the slant would actually be higher than that. I guess maybe this falls outside of the max height as well?

I am fully aware that I could be misunderstanding this, so sorry if that's the case.

PleasusChrist fucked around with this message at 16:52 on May 12, 2017

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

It's to confuse ghosts so they can't get upstairs

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

PleasusChrist posted:

I saw the part about the minimum requirements, but the slant would actually be higher than that. I guess maybe this falls outside of the max height as well?

I am fully aware that I could be misunderstanding this, so sorry if that's the case.

Probably? I imagine it has to do with how wide each stair is since they're basically wedges and a slant would violate code (either too high or too low) at some point because of that.

Ultimately, it's Gounad's place and he seems OK with it . I will say, if I were considering buying a place and saw that, I'd definitely think it was weird, but I don't think it would sway me one way or the other by itself.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

:shrug:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

"I can't believe it's a meter base!"

(I also can't believe the coax and cat 5 was put through the siding that shittily......I'm hoping you're going to box and caulk over that and connect the conduit in some weathertight manner)

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

What in the gently caress did they do? You're either going to get raided by the DEA when the power company reports you, or you're going to get permanently disconnected for stealing power.

there shouldn't be power sans meter

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

The Sexual Shiite posted:

What in the gently caress did they do? You're either going to get raided by the DEA when the power company reports you, or you're going to get permanently disconnected for stealing power.

there shouldn't be power sans meter

Looks like LED cans. Pretty typical in our area to activate a few circuits from the SAW pole.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Knew I'd get someone.

Generator hookup

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
Nice.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Gounads posted:

Knew I'd get someone.

Generator hookup

Dick

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I've had a power company guy run staples through the meter face because I was a scoutmaster.

I didn't ask for it.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

New Homeowners Slashes Electricity Bill With This One Simple Hack!

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Motronic posted:

(I also can't believe the coax and cat 5 was put through the siding that shittily......I'm hoping you're going to box and caulk over that and connect the conduit in some weathertight manner)

Looks like interior wiring waiting for the telco/cable company to put their NID on the side of the house.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Two months ago:

Me: Oh crap, I bought plug-in shop lights, those be ok?
Builder: Yeah, those are fine.

Today:

Electrician: I can't use these.

--

Good news: Electricians are blazing through everything on the weekend. Except for a few things we're waiting on for placement (like above a vanity that's not there yet) they'll be done today.

Hopefully we can get that propane tank in soon, heat the place, and get floors in.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Motronic posted:

"I can't believe it's a meter base!"

Speaking of ugly access through a wall, when I had our A/C replaced we couldn't use the old copper (which routed via several turns through the interior wall space and out near the base of the walk-out basement wall) and the only good direct route ended up with a new hole about six, seven feet off the ground, with the insulated refrigerant line and water output from the condensate pump then making an outside run to the compressor. When (not if) we replace the upstairs unit I'm guessing we'll have the same problem. (Unless somehow we can manage to drop from inside the attic down past the first and second floors, into the basement wall, and then manage to curve outward to get through a fieldstone wall. I'm not holding my breath.) What's an attractive way to cover up that poo poo?

edit: Guess it makes more sense to upload some pictures.
edit 2: I really need to level the new A/C unit, it annoys me every time I look at it.

This is the new A/C unit and aforementioned ugly routing:

This is the rear of the house for context:

tetrapyloctomy fucked around with this message at 21:47 on May 13, 2017

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
This morning was paperwork morning, reconciling recent bill the builder sent over. And also adding up the overages and underages from original contract.

Overall, right now we're looking to be about $17k over the original budget.

There's a $4000 question since builder is asking for $12k for the decks and the quote was more like $8k.

$13000 was stove/flu cost which we paid direct, so between those we're just about *even* with the builder and his original contract.

Some highlights:

Saved $12k on retaining wall
My workshop cost me $1k in electrical
Over by $2700 on plumbing fixtures
Over by $3800 on kitchen cabinets/counters
Over by $2000 on lot clearing since we're going bigger yard

And a ton of little things.

Overall, $17k over isn't too bad. We've heard much worse horror stories and I feel like we haven't skimped out on anything major.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Gounads posted:

Overall, $17k over isn't too bad. We've heard much worse horror stories and I feel like we haven't skimped out on anything major.
In the long run, $17k is a non-issue provided you're happy with what you got. It would be easy to buy a house after a full inspection and then have to put that much into it due to hidden issues. Our "gets a little damp sometimes with heavy rain" basement probably cost us that much after it started, you know, filling with water. A co-worker of mine had a similar issue where a stream behind the house they bought completely flooded everything and it ultimately was determined that "some ice issues with the rear of the property" should have been enough forewarning somehow.

Worst home-building horror-story I've heard was one of my wife's old co-workers. They built a house, and after moving in the foundation basically started tilting and sliding down a hill. The house was declared unsafe for habitation (surprise), insurance didn't cover the loss because it was a construction defect, and the foundation contractor had declared bankruptcy and disappeared.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
12-1 cable install appointment
Shows up at 1:15
Looks at pole, tells me he can't install today.
Have to get the main line extended and a new tap installed

Super.

• Locked thread