Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

I'm seeing this from an AoS perspective.

white primer uber alles
I am very upset about the assumptions I am making based on very limited information!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Well if you ignore them invalidating all books from past editions, and mix in some stuff I made up out of nowhere, you can see how 8th is a horrible horrible mess

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Pawl posted:

I could see units like the Tervigon having a special rule that gets them around the summoning restrictions

Or they could totally change its functionality

Or it will be useless a tyranid.

They still need to convince me that Cruddance didn't somehow make my favorite army poo poo for the third time in a row.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
It's clear they're going to have a Generals Handbook which has all points in, cross referenced to the datasheets. So to play competitive you need 2-3 things:

1) the rules
2) datasheet and
(3) the points list). You don't even need the points list for playing the game... Just list building.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

My assumption is that I will like most things about 8th, dislike some things, and houserule my 30k army to fit the new system.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

panascope posted:

My assumption is that I will like most things about 8th, dislike some things, and houserule my 30k army to fit the new system.

The official word from FW is that 30k will use 7th for a little while, but make the jump eventually (~6 months is what I think I heard)

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

I'm seeing this from an AoS perspective.

white primer uber alles

Lord Twisted posted:

It's clear they're going to have a Generals Handbook which has all points in, cross referenced to the datasheets. So to play competitive you need 2-3 things:

1) the rules
2) datasheet and
(3) the points list). You don't even need the points list for playing the game... Just list building.

Basic rules are free
Datasheets are free
Points and Matched Play rules will be in the Commissars Handbook but can certainly be found for free online

Serious players (ie: most people) will want to get the codex for their faction for faction-specific bonuses

Looks good to me

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
How much are Marines currently?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

How much are Marines currently?

14 points, iirc. I think this makes them 1 point cheaper. The weapon costs they've previewed are higher, though. Which makes sense at least for heavy weapons, since they can move and still hit 50% of the time now.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Pawl posted:

Basic rules are free
Datasheets are free
Points and Matched Play rules will be in the Commissars Handbook but can certainly be found for free online

OOooh! Will the Commissars handbook be all fancy like the imperial infantryman's uplifting primer is?

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
Have they shared with us what will be the major time savers in 8th? I don't mean to beat a dead horse but I really don't see how the changes they have shared would cut the game time in half, maybe like 20 or 40 minutes, but my shortest 2,000 point games run around 4 hours.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

JesusIsTehCool posted:

Have they shared with us what will be the major time savers in 8th? I don't mean to beat a dead horse but I really don't see how the changes they have shared would cut the game time in half, maybe like 20 or 40 minutes, but my shortest 2,000 point games run around 4 hours.

I'm in this same boat. Near as I can tell, the big time-savers so far are:
- Picking warlord traits/psychic powers (so you know coming into the game what they are)
- Shorter psychic phase
- Losing more models to morale

which doesn't seem to add up to 50% time savings

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

JesusIsTehCool posted:

The biggest things so far?

- Less/no rerolls
- Combining run with the move phase
- No templates and scatter (and less focus on super-precise movement and placement)

Not sure how much time it will shave off, but it should shave off some. Rules clarity and simplicity will go a long way too.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

JesusIsTehCool posted:

No templates, truncated psychic phase, quicker shooting, less stages to combat, less looking up USRs or faffing about with rule interactions for desthstars I think are the main ones so far?

Also hard to gauge points between editions tbh, as we don't know relative power levels much still. 13 points for an 8th ed marine is not the same as a 14 pt 7th ed marine... As the 8th ed marine is fighting 8th ed armies.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

Lord Twisted posted:

No templates, truncated psychic phase, quicker shooting, less stages to combat, less looking up USRs or faffing about with rule interactions for desthstars I think are the main ones so far?

Also hard to gauge points between editions tbh, as we don't know relative power levels much still. 13 points for an 8th ed marine is not the same as a 14 pt 7th ed marine... As the 8th ed marine is fighting 8th ed armies.

Have they gone into details about how the Psychic phase works? I thought they said every psyker is going to get to cast their spells, which to me sounds like more psyker powers being cast, not fewer, could be misremembering here.
How is shooting quicker? They added two new rolls for a lot of special and heavy weapons and didn't get rid of any rolls. I mean I guess twin link being more dice instead of rerolling will save some time.
What are the less stages in assault? Don't you just alternate activating instead of doing it in order of initiative? Like won't the same number of guys be attacking and won't you have to roll different weapons separately and such? Maybe since you get to hit with power fist and thunder hammers first there just won't be dudes to attack back with which could save time, not sure how I feel about that though.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Removing templates should save a ton of time by de-incentivising positioning your models exactly 1.999" away from each other.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

moths posted:

Removing templates should save a ton of time by de-incentivising positioning your models exactly 1.999" away from each other.

I imagine people who play that way can't get a 2,000 point game done in 4 hours either. 4 hours is a pretty fast 2,000 point game in my group. All of us are familiar with the rules and don't crack open the basic rule book during games very often, and don't have to look up stats on our units very often either. We also never spend time separating our units exactly 2 inches from each other.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
There's also almost no book keeping between rounds, other than wounds. That will speed up the game as well.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

JesusIsTehCool posted:

I thought they said every psyker is going to get to cast their spells, which to me sounds like more psyker powers being cast

Have you ever actually played the current psychic phase?

With 8th you're not forced to figure out how many dumb loving charges to attempt to harness per power while taking into account the total warp charges plus d6 of lolrandumb. You're also not rolling for the loving powers at the start of the match because the warp is fickle your psyker is a retarded monkey and have to reconsider your entire strategy on the go.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
There's a 2,000 point tournament I play in every year and with 3 hour rounds I've always completed my games with plenty of time to spare. Most other games I see also seem to finish on time.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Getting rid of rerolls for twin linked speeds up shooting. More broadly, weapons also seem to be more lethal. 30k plays a lot faster than 40k since stuff tends to die quickly, so they might be taking a page out of that book.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

Mango Polo posted:

Have you ever actually played the current psychic phase?

With 8th you're not forced to figure out how many dumb loving charges to attempt to harness per power while taking into account the total warp charges plus d6 of lolrandumb. You're also not rolling for the loving powers at the start of the match because the warp is fickle your psyker is a retarded monkey and have to reconsider your entire strategy on the go.

While im not a big fan of how the current psykic phase works now and I agree with many of your problems with it, I dont see how those thing effect time. It takes 5 secs to roll a d6 and add up charges, maybe a minute to figure out the 2 to 4 spells you want to try and cast. For me rolling the effects of the spells normally takes more time. I feel like it is pretty common to cast less spells than you have psykers right now, which from what I hear, wont be the case in 8th.

Is three hours really the norm for a 2,000 point game? If so I guess I am just super slow. They likely could squeeze an hour out with the changes they are making so I guess I could just be I take to long and there is nothing GW can do about that.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

JesusIsTehCool posted:

While im not a big fan of how the current psykic phase works now and I agree with many of your problems with it, I dont see how those thing effect time. It takes 5 secs to roll a d6 and add up charges, maybe a minute to figure out the 2 to 4 spells you want to try and cast. For me rolling the effects of the spells normally takes more time. I feel like it is pretty common to cast less spells than you have psykers right now, which from what I hear, wont be the case in 8th.

Most of the games I play are against Necrons, Tau, and admech so I can confirm that removing the psychic phase will not speed anything up

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The biggest thing that will save time for me and my friends. Is no longer having to look up rules or charts.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Three hours for two thousand points is pretty long to me. Hixson and I can finish a 2000 point 40k game in about 90 minutes, or at least we could before we switched to 30k.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

panascope posted:

Three hours for two thousand points is pretty long to me. Hixson and I can finish a 2000 point 40k game in about 90 minutes, or at least we could before we switched to 30k.

That's nothing. ANAmal and I can get a 2,500-point game done in less than an hour, when I roll first turn and destroy half his deployed-like-rear end army and he's drunk and angry enough to concede at the bottom of turn 2

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

panascope posted:

Ironically the longest game I ever played was the one against you guys, but I think that's because you wandered off for a few hours while the rest of us slammed Busch lite continuously without eating anything in your absence.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
Not everyone who plays has every rule memorised, or memory can be impaired by beer or tiredness after a long day. People who play in tournaments are more likely to be up on rules than most. Stopping to look up rules can slow down play. Especially with some unit types if you don't see them that often in your group. Flying monstrous creatures as an example. A lot of rules tend to be subtly different which can aid confusion. I play in a fairly casual, narrative based group and I can see a lot of things speeding up, though you are trading remembering lookup tables for some fairly basic mental maths with the modifiers.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

panascope posted:

Holy poo poo thats a sub 8 minute per turn not counting set up. I am lucky to get a sub 8 minute movement with my nids at 1500. How did you guys play so fast?

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
There is only one worry that I have with 8th and that's how quickly and easily my Forgeworld stuff will be updated.

And related to that, will Bran Redmaw be updated even though he doesn't have a model.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

JesusIsTehCool posted:

Holy poo poo thats a sub 8 minute per turn not counting set up. I am lucky to get a sub 8 minute movement with my nids at 1500. How did you guys play so fast?

No horde armies and no assaults makes things go pretty quickly.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Are people seriously taking 4 hours to finish a 2000pt game? I appreciate I've barely played since early 6th but surely there's not been so much bloat that this thing takes twice as long to play.

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Stupid fucking white man.

Munchables posted:

Howdy folks, been workin on my current models, but because my sergeant is in stripping limbo I made this guy, but idk what to do with him. Would he be eligible as a sergeant or would he have to be a terminator or captain or something?

I like mister fister here. As for eligibility just make sure to tell your opponent which of his fists actually counts and you should be fine. Shove a holstered gun on him someplace for his bolt pistol (don't worry that he couldn't conceivably ever draw and fire it) and you're golden.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

JesusIsTehCool posted:

Knowing most of the rules and stats cuts down on flipping through rule books and having dumb arguments (we still have dumb arguments and I'm usually right)

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

DO IT TO IT posted:

I wonder if Tervigon spawning will count as summoning and require points to be set aside like this.

Probably, but I imagine they'll change it to a flat amount of points a turn without the chance to burn out.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Probably, but I imagine they'll change it to a random amount of points a turn with mortal wounds if you exceed your maximum welcome to Tyranids blackjack bitch

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

Hixson posted:

Knowing most of the rules and stats cuts down on flipping through rule books and having dumb arguments (we still have dumb arguments and I'm usually right)

I feel like my friends and I dont really look through the rule book ofte, maybe once or twice a game and we settle what few arguments during the game with a high low dice roll to keep things moving. If this speed of play is normal than why on earth are people complaining about game length? Thats equal to or faster than most board games these days.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011
I have had a 1,500 point game take 8 hours. I played Orks and he played Eldar, I probably posted the battle report here.

Regular 30 minute movement phase as each possible action is weighed and balanced. Then there was the shooting phase and consideration of where to place apocalyptic sized templates. I would slow things down by rolling lots of dice, (almost always saving rolls from Eldar shooting followed by feel no pain with look out sirs thrown in).

Tbf we both play once/twice a year so everything was looked up in the book. That can take a while.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

JesusIsTehCool posted:

I feel like my friends and I dont really look through the rule book ofte, maybe once or twice a game and we settle what few arguments during the game with a high low dice roll to keep things moving. If this speed of play is normal than why on earth are people complaining about game length? Thats equal to or faster than most board games these days.

WOW once played a game at Nova two years ago where when time was called they were half way through the bottom of turn 2. I think it was a 2 1/2 hour game too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

MasterSlowPoke posted:

WOW once played a game at Nova two years ago where when time was called they were half way through the bottom of turn 2. I think it was a 2 1/2 hour game too.

What is the average game length for your 2000 point games? I am honestly confused as I thought it was some where between 5 and 6 hours but some people seem to think its much shorter.

I guess this tangent is more about how I can see how the changes they have shown in 8th might save an hour, which if the game takes only 3 hours for most people gets them to their 2 hour game length, if it takes people 5 hours there is still 2 hours worth of rules that cut time down they havent shown us, which seems like a lot to me.

• Locked thread