Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Loomer posted:

It was probably me when I made that sacrificial pact with the dice devil for 'more owod'.

I didn't mean like this. I swear.

The Project is the lynchpin of a vast and terrible occult matrix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Loomer posted:

Vampires will have two looks, one for the mortal world and one for Elysium
Why?

quote:

The Masquerade more important than ever
Its so important the Anarchs have had to agree to join the Cam or be exterminated for not following the 1st Tradition
Yeah no get rid of that third faction you're all Camarilla or Sabbat now. gently caress you.

quote:

The 2nd Inquisition is underway after governement agencies have discovered the truth. And its brutal and ugly.
The 2nd Inquisition ties in with the Technocracy AND Pentex but the vampires have yet to cotton on to how those spies keep outwitting their attempts to stay hidden...seems as if a new and truly ugly Massassa War may be brewing.
...what? No seriously what? Why would the Technocracy work with Pentex? I guess we're rolling back any sense of Moral gray and now the technocracy are mustache twirlingly evil?

quote:

The 2nd Impergium is underway with the Garou finally having listened to the Red Talons (and grudgingly accepted the Ratkinsw argument) that humanity must be stopped. Werewolves have realised that Gaia is almost dead.
No. The only reason the Impergium worked is because mankind was small and disorganized. An Impergium now would do nothing but feed the Wyrm anyway.

quote:

The current world tensions between Islam and the west are in truth just the mortal facet of the Gehenna Wars
The Gehenna Wars have mysteriously called many elders to the east, in something called The Beckoning, the Sabbat have been especially responsive. Some elders are resisting the Beckoning.
NO! BAD SWEDRACULA! BACK IN YOUR CORNER! AND TAKE OFF THOSE STUPID LEATHER PANTS!

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
There's a part of me that's somewhat excited to see what comes out of this but also surprised at what's happening.

Flavivirus posted:

So Ken Hite - Author of Night's Black Agents - has been announced as lead designer of V:tM 5th Edition.

Looking at that twitter feed tells me he's super friendly with Zak S, which... doesn't bode well.

He's friendly with everyone because he's a full time game designer. Not excusing anything but he's just super professional about everything because he's working hand to mouth in an industry that often doesn't pay its workers.

They've also done episodes of Ken and Robin where they tell people not to be like Zak S. or half the OSR guys. :shrug:

Kurieg posted:

...what? No seriously what? Why would the Technocracy work with Pentex? I guess we're rolling back any sense of Moral gray and now the technocracy are mustache twirlingly evil?

Didn't the Syndicate create Pentex and not shut it down even after knowing about the whole Wyrm thing? "Free markets, man and what's the threat?"

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 16:13 on May 12, 2017

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The answer to that depends on which line you're reading.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
The answer is always 'no', but they did wind up playing a not insignificant role for a while as investors.

More on the unsourced hearsay doomsday propheteering!

"Overall, the setting is intensifying in line with the intensification of world events
The metaplot weill not be dictation. We are all going to have a major effect on all the metaplot elements. Its going to be something we make happen. Sects will fall based on the choices players of games make. The power they want us to have is that big.
Dice tests will be reduced to a single roll where possible"

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
*Warhammer 40k players look on nervously. Except for the Orks.*

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I look forward to the return of 'mail in postcards saying what your groups did.'

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Did your pack of Sabbat vampires execute or enslave the Yazidi villagers?

What dark enlightenment ideals should the Camarilla champion at the Conclave?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

And Paradox Interactive is keeping them the gently caress out of their convention while my fellow Kaiserreich devs are running a booth. They, and indirectly I, get more attention than Swedracula from his publishers :smug:

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Loomer posted:

The 2nd Impergium is underway with the Garou finally having listened to the Red Talons (and grudgingly accepted the Ratkinsw argument) that humanity must be stopped.

I.....wha... there's so much to unpack here but this is is just. Ugh. loving really? Good luck explaining how Garou don't get absolutely loving destroyed in-universe.

Red Mundus fucked around with this message at 17:02 on May 12, 2017

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Apparently the community-decided metaplot will also be dictated by vidyagamez and 'other interactive media'. So what, they're going to do a Telltale VtM story? (That wouldn't be so bad as a concept, to be honest, but still: 'Smiling Jack will remember that.')

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
"Yeah so the mages that effectively uphold the status quo are running a new Inquisition, and everyone on the loving planet knows that silver kills werewolves, but it's cool. The werewolves will get really angry at the problem and won't be instantly murdered.".

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It's like every terrible RPG idea from the 90s, for the 2010s!

Amazing.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

They've also done episodes of Ken and Robin where they tell people not to be like Zak S. or half the OSR guys. :shrug:

*buys more Ken Hite books, but not the ones he cooperated with Zak Smith, serial harasser, on*

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The real question is, when the world ends, who will Swedracula allow to escape with him through his time tunnel to 1992?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
The good news is as players we can reject Swedracula's reality and substitute our own.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

LatwPIAT posted:

*buys more Ken Hite books, but not the ones he cooperated with Zak Smith, serial harasser, on*

According to his Twitter he's going to be working at White Wolf most of the time so good luck on anything made after this year. They've never collaborated on anything in the past to my knowledge but the future brings untold possibilities of edgy content and personal attacks on other game designers.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I already didn't have any hope for this, but, if true, that Islam poo poo…woo boy.

Also lol 40 books in development gently caress off

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I am actually at the event, and sat at the keynote. Whoever provided that summary seems like they are reading in to things a bit too much. Or maybe they managed to drag off the keynote people for a more quiet talk after the event. I did see them lunch with attendees later.

For example the 2nd Impergium seemed more like something that is on the table now, but hasn't started yet. And the new inquisition was hinted to have some mage backing, but it wasn't outright stated that it's the Technocracy or Pentex or whatever.

But I'm a very casual fan at best, so maybe I missed out on some of the implications. Only thing I really found myself apprehended by was the middle East stuff, which seems a bit hamfisted. But then the scenario competition here also had two separate Syria related entrees.

I can try to answer some questions later when I'm winding down at the hotel in the evening, just keep in mind that I'm not super knowledgeable about the history of the game. A friend just dragged me here for some fun p&p stuff!

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Loomer posted:

Apparently the community-decided metaplot will also be dictated by vidyagamez and 'other interactive media'. So what, they're going to do a Telltale VtM story? (That wouldn't be so bad as a concept, to be honest, but still: 'Smiling Jack will remember that.')

They've got a stellar track record with their ifiction already!

Berkshire Hunts
Nov 5, 2009

Attorney at Funk posted:

They've got a stellar track record with their ifiction already!

Smiling Jack's smear will remember that.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

That Old Tree posted:

I already didn't have any hope for this, but, if true, that Islam poo poo…woo boy.

Also lol 40 books in development gently caress off

What, 'half an idea for a title' doesn't count as 'in development'?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Didn't the Syndicate create Pentex and not shut it down even after knowing about the whole Wyrm thing? "Free markets, man and what's the threat?"

No, Pentex infiltrated the Syndicate, several Great Investors (or what they are called) are Nephandi. The Syndicate itself doesn't know, and on principle would fight it.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

According to his Twitter he's going to be working at White Wolf most of the time so good luck on anything made after this year. They've never collaborated on anything in the past to my knowledge but the future brings untold possibilities of edgy content and personal attacks on other game designers.

I was thinking more of buying Night's Black Agents and The Fall of Delta Green.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
As of Syndicate Revised, the department in charge of working with Pentex, Special Projects Division, has gone missing. They don't return phone calls, they don't send progress reports, and people who try to figure out where they went tend to turn up as mangled corpses.

They do, however, still turn in their projected profits every quarter.

For this reason, the Syndicate has decided that everything is probably okay and there's no point wasting time looking into it.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

'Well, smart odds are on them all being consumed by evil spirits and warped into horrific beasts wearing human suits...but the profits keep coming in, so we've classified it as a diversity program.'

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I feel like we should find a way to troll the metaplot somehow.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I tried doing that on a WoD MUSH once but all that came out of it was a really fun idea for a Technocracy game.

'Attention, please. Your team has been assigned to build, open and operate a mall as our beachhead of normalcy in a town full of reality deviants. Please ensure the mall is as successful as possible.'

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Loomer posted:

Blood Pool is gone. It was described as a gas meter and thus not very sexy. In its place is an elegant and well thought out system relating hunger to the likelihood of frenzy. You will have composure as a resource. You can opt to spend this when faced with a situation where you want to resist doing something eg feeding at the sight of blood. If you spend it however you get a red hunger die or more in your pools (for probably all your rolls) which will act to increase your chance of entering frenzy. If you dont, you do something you dont want to, avoiding compulsion, but you will have more composure when the chance you frenzy comes up, and less hunger, meanijng less liklely to frenzy.

This could be cool, but it could also end up making blood seem like an affectation rather than the source of life.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

I feel like we should find a way to troll the metaplot somehow.

Aren't the essentially doing that themselves? My knowledge of the oWoD metaplot is vague and muddled, but none of that sounds particularly great either for the NPCs or any actual PCs who want to actually interact with it. "World is dying, organizations all infiltrated, the end of the world is here, but since no one did anything about it for 15 years it's just going to be worse and there's nothing you can really do about it because -metaplot- (unless you suck up via LARPing)".

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Mors Rattus posted:

'Well, smart odds are on them all being consumed by evil spirits and warped into horrific beasts wearing human suits...but the profits keep coming in, so we've classified it as a diversity program.'

"The money may be dirty, but their spreadsheets are very clean. Ask yourself, could a discorporate alien entity be so good with Excel?"

Yessod
Mar 21, 2007

Loomer posted:

The current world tensions between Islam and the west are in truth just the mortal facet of the Gehenna Wars

I look forward to seeing Zak S and Swedracula's sensitive handling of this topic.

(Credit Where Credit is Due: Making sure KotE 2: Wuxia Boogaloo isn't written by white dudes from rural Georgia is a definite step forward, and Ken Hite has written some amazing stuff with Suppressed Transmission.)

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I'm unironically stoked to see that they're serious about moving forward with this collaborative storytelling boondoggle and I'm hyped to see the flaming wreckage. I'm expecting a whole wiki's worth of drama.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Jhet posted:

Aren't the essentially doing that themselves? My knowledge of the oWoD metaplot is vague and muddled, but none of that sounds particularly great either for the NPCs or any actual PCs who want to actually interact with it. "World is dying, organizations all infiltrated, the end of the world is here, but since no one did anything about it for 15 years it's just going to be worse and there's nothing you can really do about it because -metaplot- (unless you suck up via LARPing)".
I'm kind of surprised there because I had the impression from the WW20 book that one of the big shifts was that they actually saw the possibility of success now. (I was also greatly amused at fracking being a profound Wyrm trick because that was just the right kind of cheese.)

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Nessus posted:

I'm kind of surprised there because I had the impression from the WW20 book that one of the big shifts was that they actually saw the possibility of success now. (I was also greatly amused at fracking being a profound Wyrm trick because that was just the right kind of cheese.)

W20 has no relation to White Wolf's upcoming 5th Edition. The 20th Anniversary stuff is Onyx Path and has been entirely disavowed by White Wolf as not canonical to their new edition.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Basic Chunnel posted:

I'm unironically stoked to see that they're serious about moving forward with this collaborative storytelling boondoggle and I'm hyped to see the flaming wreckage. I'm expecting a whole wiki's worth of drama.

Oh come on, when has asking your playerbase to steer the metaplot for your gameline ever ended up-

wait, wait, poo poo. gently caress.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
just take my "I've never been more glad I have zero attachment to Changeling the Dreaming" post from a few days ago and just apply it to oWoD as a whole honestly

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
my attachment to oWoD at this point is basically "it'd be nice if somebody saved Wraith and implemented it in a system with better mechanics"

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Ironslave posted:

Oh come on, when has asking your playerbase to steer the metaplot for your gameline ever ended up-

wait, wait, poo poo. gently caress.
[laughingsamurai.gif]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I eagerly await every major conflict being solved by Tzimisce jumping in naked with fleshcrafted dicks on their head and performing a mixture of interpretive dance and headbutting.