Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The only way Hall wouldn't have been dealt is if Columbus hadn't spilled the beans on wanting dubois over JP and the three way trade that netted the Oilers Hamilton for the Nuge while trading down to 6 had happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

bewbies posted:

So...let's assume that Larsson was the absolute best defenseman Taylor Hall could bring back.

Do you:
1) Roll with Hall and...I dunno...Dillon Simpson playing regular NHL minutes
2) Do the trade and have a much improved defense

Everyone knows why the Oilers made that trade, they were desperate. You can sell a starving man a hamburger for $1000, it doesn't mean he paid a fair price but the deal works out for both parties. You just can't defend the cost objectively and a year later you certainly can't pretend it was the best hamburger imaginable that is directly responsible that starving guy being promoted to VP at work and the dollar is a lovely devaluing currency so he got the better end of the deal.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

bewbies posted:

So...let's assume that Larsson was the absolute best defenseman Taylor Hall could bring back.

Do you:
1) Roll with Hall and...I dunno...Dillon Simpson playing regular NHL minutes
2) Do the trade and have a much improved defense

That offense with TayTay though would have been sick. They should have just kept him and toughed it out. I bet they still would have been in the thick of things by the deadline and then you just trade for some useless guy who can eat minutes and not be too awful. And then you try again in the off season to find another guy and you still have an awesome forward group.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Larsson brings some great intangibles though.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

having 2 old rear end goalies making too much money didn't seem to teach jim nill much

https://twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/status/863050535305457665

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
that seems....bad

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
the difference between ben bishop and those other guys is that bishop's contract will buy about 2 years of good goaltending as opposed to 0 years of good goaltending

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

That offense with TayTay though would have been sick. They should have just kept him and toughed it out. I bet they still would have been in the thick of things by the deadline and then you just trade for some useless guy who can eat minutes and not be too awful. And then you try again in the off season to find another guy and you still have an awesome forward group.

Agreed but there's also the "we need to get Connor into the playoffs as soon as loving possible if we want him here for a decade" factor

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

whatis posted:

the difference between ben bishop and those other guys is that bishop's contract will buy about 2 years of good goaltending as opposed to 0 years of good goaltending

they hope, anyway. he's had 2 years in his career where he was above average and he's 30 years old coming off of a knee and a dick injury. he had a vezina-caliber year as one of those good ones. they're probably paying this money to a dude to be a league average goalie and it could get a lot worse than that very quickly

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Aye Doc posted:

having 2 old rear end goalies making too much money didn't seem to teach jim nill much

https://twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/status/863050535305457665

holy poo poo :stare:

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/imfleming16/status/862072339118379009

oh no baby what! is you doin

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

The Golden Man posted:

Agreed but there's also the "we need to get Connor into the playoffs as soon as loving possible if we want him here for a decade" factor

Yeah I guess there is that though players usually show loyalty to the team that drafted them even when it's undeserved. Tavares looks set to cling to the Isles despite them being mismanaged for years

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

Yeah I guess there is that though players usually show loyalty to the team that drafted them even when it's undeserved. Tavares looks set to cling to the Isles despite them being mismanaged for years

Sure. But this group is also trying to correct 10 years of desert wandering kicked off specifically by a generational talent in Pronger saying "nah im good, peace". A lot of the decisions theyve made (smart or stupid) I think are being made in the specific context of "keep mcdavid happy at any loving cost whatsoever"

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

The Golden Man posted:

Sure. But this group is also trying to correct 10 years of desert wandering kicked off specifically by a generational talent in Pronger saying "nah im good, peace". A lot of the decisions theyve made (smart or stupid) I think are being made in the specific context of "keep mcdavid happy at any loving cost whatsoever"

it reflects a lot on the organization that their solutions to the Keep McDavid problem were "give him quality top line wingers, like milan lucic and patrick maroon"

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/CapFriendly/status/863056515716001793

this is beautiful

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

Aye Doc posted:

it reflects a lot on the organization that their solutions to the Keep McDavid problem were "give him quality top line wingers, like milan lucic and patrick maroon"

Milan Lucic and Patrick Maroon rule

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

The Golden Man posted:

It's not the worst philosophy to have. The Penguins do things the same way even when it means doing dumb things like putting old rear end Kunitz with Crosby just because that's what Sid likes. It took two years of Kunitz sucking for that to finally stop.

Also I miss Pronger. There's a lot of poo poo heels in the league now that need a good stomping.

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

Aye Doc posted:

also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6QF6wMsK60

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

god drat

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

While Chia liked Lucic obviously I'd bet significant dinero they asked McDavid if he wanted to play with Lucic before they signed him. Keep the boy happy

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

their goalies cost 3 million more than their d corp

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
https://twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/status/863056271708221441

:shittypop:

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

niemi getting bought out now, bishop getting bought out in 5 years

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Don't know why they bothered with an NMC, it's not like anyone could get him to make a lateral move before.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Every time a Central Division foe handicaps themselves is a good thing imo

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

4-6 million over 6 years looks like a standard deal for 30 year old starting goalies. crawford, smith, schneider, howard, dubnyk

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

hifi posted:

4-6 million over 6 years looks like a standard deal for 30 year old starting goalies. crawford, smith, schneider, howard, dubnyk

The money is fine if you're not Dallas.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Ginette Reno posted:

Also I miss Pronger. There's a lot of poo poo heels in the league now that need a good stomping.

1 Pronger would still be in Anaheim
2. You can't stomp teammates

I miss Pronger too.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Don't slam your dick into that live outlet, Jim. You've don't it twice, you know exactly how it will turn out.

Oh, FFS.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

If you give their RFAs 1M/year then they have 10 million left to spend on sharp/hemsky/hudler (12 million for this year)

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Dallas is probably hoping to dump a goalie on Las Vegas

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

They're also hoping bishop won't be at best average in 2 years time.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
with Bishop no longer in L.A. and if the penguins manage to sort out their goalie problem, they just might.

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

maf come to calgary

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Jonny Nox posted:

1 Pronger would still be in Anaheim
2. You can't stomp teammates

I miss Pronger too.

Pronger pretty much single handedly made Michael Leighton a good goalie in 2010. I sure as gently caress miss him.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Infidel Castro posted:

Pronger pretty much single handedly made Michael Leighton a good goalie in 2010. I sure as gently caress miss him.

gently caress, looking back it felt like he dragged the whole team kicking and screaming to the end of that entire season

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Good soup! posted:

gently caress, looking back it felt like he dragged the whole team kicking and screaming to the end of that entire season

Yeah, he tended to do that everywhere he went. Well, except Phoenix.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
:what:

I know they aren't done, but even having those numbers for an instant in the off season shows staggeringly poor management.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Really glad the Blues traded Chris Pronger to Edmonton for Eric Brewer and like a 2nd round pick because the owner was too cheap to keep him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/JJReganCSN/status/863088816986488832
https://twitter.com/ikhurshudyan/status/863087433403031553
https://twitter.com/dcsportsbog/status/863082132763275270

That seems like a pretty big difference of opinion between players/coach.

• Locked thread