Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Cool Buff Man posted:

In my opinion, it's better to go down in the playoffs looking like you're trying too hard instead of looking like a lazy doofus

Totally agree, I was in camp Westbrook in the first round. OKC's only hope is if he balls out, so he should ball out.

EvanTH posted:

I mean, the restrictions did seem a bit aggressive, here's for all 3p era playoff games ever:
http://www.basketball-reference.com...der_by=diff_pts

It's tied with 3 other games for largest blowout ever, but if you sort by some of the categories the Rockets low 2P, 2PA and 2P% all come out at the bottom within that list.

It was historic for bad coaching plans I guess? D'antonio and Morey are all "there's a market inefficiency on 3s! The models say we should take more threes!" and kind of completely ignore that good defense (y'know playoffs defense) can (and just did?) depress the expected value of a 3p shot to the point where an open midrange jumper IS the better shot to take. It was really like the Rockets had no backup plan, like they didn't expect anyone would be able to defend the three?

Last few playoffs a bunch of cranky old men (notably Charles Barkley and NYKnicks GM Philliam Jackson) have been complaining about the three point shooting like it was some kinda gimmick. They're obviously wrong when they're talking about the Warriors, who can score from anywhere on the court, but I think maybe they'd be right if they were talking about the Rockets.

I dunno, eye test on this but I don't think the Spurs really defended the 3 any better than normal. I thought they defended the P&R much better and Houston couldn't get anything going inside. They got some looks, but when you rely so heavily on the 3 you'll have games like this. I do think Spurs defense did a great job, but I think they just executed on the typical "Don't give driving lanes, defend the P&R, and keep your switches tight". I'm not sure this was an achilles heel type moment vs just a really well executed defense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The Spurs basically forced the Rockets to hit wide open mid range shots and the Rockets weren't willing.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
the spurs forced harden to not shoot for 20 minutes lol

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh also people are saying Harden might have had a concussion but I'm pretty sure one of the concussion protocols is "Looks Like James Harden Out There" so who can say.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Tae posted:

Because a player knows more than doctors, of course. Especially concussions.

Ok I guess I should have qualified that with a "for what it's worth" or something since this, plus even if he knows he was concussed he's not going to admit it

Tae posted:

The Spurs basically forced the Rockets to hit wide open mid range shots and the Rockets weren't willing.

I was pulling my hair out watching them pass on open corner threes for... reasons? Then having to jack a 30 footer from the wing as the shot clock expired

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
I think Harden has some type of personality disorder that causes him to react to stress in ways that are self-sabotaging.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Lockback posted:

Totally agree, I was in camp Westbrook in the first round. OKC's only hope is if he balls out, so he should ball out.

I dunno, eye test on this but I don't think the Spurs really defended the 3 any better than normal. I thought they defended the P&R much better and Houston couldn't get anything going inside. They got some looks, but when you rely so heavily on the 3 you'll have games like this. I do think Spurs defense did a great job, but I think they just executed on the typical "Don't give driving lanes, defend the P&R, and keep your switches tight". I'm not sure this was an achilles heel type moment vs just a really well executed defense.

I uh I kinda agree.
I might actually rewatch some of the game because I really don't think my explanation covers the whole of it either. The Rockets looked like they expected to lose something was real weird

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Cool Buff Man posted:

In my opinion, it's better to go down in the playoffs looking like you're trying too hard instead of looking like a lazy doofus

In my opinion this is a fact

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I wouldn't mind if the MVP went to Lebron this year

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Yeah if you watch LeBron play ever and don't say that's the best basketball player alive then I don't know what to tell you.

elime anning
Nov 19, 2002

Morbid Hound
The whole night felt off from the very beginning. At tip off it looked like 3/4 of the lower bowl was empty. Been even said something about a late-arriving crowd

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
we all just watched James Harden throw a game, and i'll never be convinced otherwise because it's Fun

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Bigass Moth posted:

Yeah if you watch LeBron play ever and don't say that's the best basketball player alive then I don't know what to tell you.

He is and I love him and want to hug and kiss him, but that also doesn't mean he should be MVP this year. Because he shouldn't be. Russ is the GOAT

Jota fucked around with this message at 17:56 on May 12, 2017

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How much arguing about MVPs would go away if they just called it "Best Player Award" and we didn't have to endure endless semantic arguments about what "valuable" means.

Also if they're gonna award it after the playoffs it should include playoffs OR they should make a separate Playoffs MVP award.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
russ is the mvp pick for 9 year olds. Twipple Dubbles, wow!!!!

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

zoux posted:

How much arguing about MVPs would go away if they just called it "Best Player Award" and we didn't have to endure endless semantic arguments about what "valuable" means.

Also if they're gonna award it after the playoffs it should include playoffs OR they should make a separate Playoffs MVP award.

Congrats, you have just described why the NBA Awards Show is now a real thing.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Brolander posted:

russ is the mvp pick for 9 year olds. Twipple Dubbles, wow!!!!

I'm sorry that you are a joyless autist who can't enjoy a guy hate loving rims and the NBA for an entire season and having a better season than your favorite player.

And yes my monitor is on!!!

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Wilbur Swain posted:

I think Harden has some type of personality disorder that causes him to react to stress in ways that are self-sabotaging.

What a surprisingly goony trait.

I won't be reading too much into this loss wrt the Rockets' future. LMA showed up for 1 of his 2 good games he has each playoffs. The Spurs basically burned a wildcard.

Harden played atypically, but the whole Rockets crew could barely hit anything, and as mentioned, refused to shoot open mid-rangers.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

zoux posted:

Wouldn't Playoffs MVP be identical to Finals MVP? I don't see that award going to anyone who got knocked out in the conference finals, much less the 2nd round.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

guys, I have a sneaking suspicion that LeBron is going to run the Warriors off the court in the Finals

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The Warriors ain't making the finals.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lockback posted:

Wouldn't Playoffs MVP be identical to Finals MVP? I don't see that award going to anyone who got knocked out in the conference finals, much less the 2nd round.

Probably in practice but you have to make allowances for Jerry West-like circumstances

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

What a surprisingly goony trait.

I won't be reading too much into this loss wrt the Rockets' future. LMA showed up for 1 of his 2 good games he has each playoffs. The Spurs basically burned a wildcard.

Harden played atypically, but the whole Rockets crew could barely hit anything, and as mentioned, refused to shoot open mid-rangers.

Not shooting open mid range shots is a specific, intentional feature of their offense.

Also I hope the spurs win the next series on the back of some horrifically ill-advised shot and pass attempts by Steph. Please oh please.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Tae posted:

Did they lose the keys to the team plane?

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Papercut posted:

Not shooting open mid range shots is a specific, intentional feature of their offense.

Also I hope the spurs win the next series on the back of some horrifically ill-advised shot and pass attempts by Steph. Please oh please.

Live and die by the gameplan, I guess.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Jota posted:

I'm sorry that you are a joyless autist who can't enjoy a guy hate loving rims and the NBA for an entire season and having a better season than your favorite player.

And yes my monitor is on!!!

he belongs in the XFL version of the NBA

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

BobHoward posted:

as a Warriors fan I am resigned to someone overpaying Clark, and it might not even be an overpay. There's Harrison Barnes type potential for him to be good on a team that can give him more PT.

He's bad

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Tae posted:

Hope Spurs/Warriors lives up to the excitement of their previous playoff series, even with the role reversal.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It'll be cool having the whole thread rooting for my team in the WCF :grin:

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Live and die by the gameplan, I guess.

Yeah I mean, you can't just tell your guys to start doing something drastically different from what you've coached all year when you're halfway through an elimination game.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Spurs beating the Cavs in the Finals would be kinda funny.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Lockback posted:

This is the ideal outcome of this year's playoffs.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Lockback posted:

Been there, done that. :smug:

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

RCarr posted:

This is the ideal outcome of this year's playoffs.

I mean, 3 Alpha Championship rings would be ideal, but at this point yeah.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Lockback posted:

Being up 3-1 against the Cavs does not bode well for the future

e:wow i'm dumb, uhhhhh replace "cavs" w/ "lebron"?

Coaaab fucked around with this message at 18:59 on May 12, 2017

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Seriously. There's potential that he could be a backup off the bench somewhere else and get a couple more shots per game. That's about it.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
After some sober reflection time, I have determined that the Rockets didn't shoot enough threes. 9 2-point field goals was far too many.

Fun season :)

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
i just hope the series is good

1) just making the wcf is good for the spurs. successful season :dogge:

2) taking 1-2 games off the warriors would be great. over achieved :vapes:

3) pushing it to 7 would be epic; the playoff series we've wanted for like 3 years. just about perfect :dukedoge:

4) i have no words for beating the warriors because i can't imagine it right now. i love the spurs and think they're awesome, but the warriors this year are just one of the best basketball teams i have ever seen or heard of. but if the spurs do win…
:burger::circlefap::dance::clint::hfive::homebrew::mamacita::rock::shrek::slick::sotw::tipshat::worship::yum::derp:

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

AggressivelyStupid posted:

I never said they were a bad team, don't claim goalposts and then move the goalposts lmbo

http://www.basketball-reference.com...rder_by=diff_fg

Here's an even better bbr query

One of those teams won the series and two of them won the finals the next year, both of the finals winning teams went on to later beat the team that crushed them in a finals rematch. One game means nothing.

They played really super bad in a whole mess of ways. That's not proof that their whole season was a lie and they can never win and their style is a "gimmick". If you want to play tea leaf reader with tiny samples, a blowout loss like that in the finals increases your odds of returning and beating the team that beat you, since it happens so rarely. The only two teams to ever be so terribly savaged in the Finals both won the next year. It gives you power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

I really don't see how "best" is that much less ambiguous than "valuable". Maybe the semantics would be a little different since "valuable" is loaded in a very specific way, but there's still a heck of a lot of room to argue there IMO. I don't think there will ever be one perfect way to award MVP or whatever you want to call it.

Personally I enjoy there being some room for debate. At the end of the day the NBA is also entertainment so I like having things like excitement, entertainment-factor, conversation-worthiness, and yes even dumbass narrative playing a factor in who gets the award.

• Locked thread