Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
Calling the things that telltale makes "videogames" is an insult to interactive fiction.

I'm not gonna argue they are bad experiences because lots of people have had positive experiences with them but they are horrid games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

You told her about the aborted fetus game?
mass effect andromeda is getting a switch port?

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Beastie posted:

Wolf Among Us was awesome.

This is the only TellTale game I've played to completion and yeah, it's awesome

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Apparently the engine has next to no physics at all, so they're pretty far behind the 8-ball as far as where games are going.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I wish TellTale would make another Sam and Max season. Two hit such a perfect stride and it's what really propelled them to where they are now

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
I've had lunch now with 2 different friends trying to decide if I should get Minecraft for the first time on this Switch, I heard there are hang gliders now? I just wanna know what fun things I can hope to engage in...

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I've had lunch now with 2 different friends trying to decide if I should get Minecraft for the first time on this Switch, I heard there are hang gliders now? I just wanna know what fun things I can hope to engage in...

It's lego.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I wish TellTale would make another Sam and Max season. Two hit such a perfect stride and it's what really propelled them to where they are now

Same. I loved their older Lucasart revival series like Sam & Max and Monkey Island instead of the recent ones where it just "eh let just do another Walking Dead season even through the second game sucked" or another comic book game.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Do we have a goon friend code exchange? Id like to populate my Tumbleseed leaderboards and maybe have some people to drop into Minecraft with. I'm assuming all goons are using the waluigi skin.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I have no idea what Thumper even is.

As far as I can tell it's a Beyond The Mind's Eye video with a beetle driving on the Information Superhighway into Cyberspace

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Stan Taylor posted:

Do we have a goon friend code exchange? Id like to populate my Tumbleseed leaderboards and maybe have some people to drop into Minecraft with. I'm assuming all goons are using the waluigi skin.

It's at the bottom of the OP.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Stan Taylor posted:

How far have you gotten in Tumble Seed?

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

The Bloop posted:

I have no idea what Thumper even is.

As far as I can tell it's a Beyond The Mind's Eye video with a beetle driving on the Information Superhighway into Cyberspace

It's a spooky rhythm game.

Well, maybe not spooky. But it's very fast and sorta stressful and there's that big creepy face that shows up and stuff.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Xad posted:

It's a spooky rhythm game.

Well, maybe not spooky. But it's very fast and sorta stressful and there's that big creepy face that shows up and stuff.

I saw it described as a rhythm game but I didn't see any of the trappings in the video. I watched a couple things and I still have no worldly idea how it's actually played.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

VideoGames posted:

Switch on! To great games! And man, what games?

We got really good games like waku waku fighter, metal slug, and the nintendo e-shop

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Just pre ordered the Splatoon 2 switch carrying case for the entire system, it was already sold out on amiami when I realized I did actually have use for it. Is play asia reliable for pre order fulfillment? I know they're legit I just wondered if anyone knew about pre order issues.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Lakbay posted:

How far have you gotten in Tumble Seed?

Not far, I only make it to the second area sometimes. Haven't played much.

Depressing Box
Jun 27, 2010

Half-price sideshow.

The Bloop posted:

I saw it described as a rhythm game but I didn't see any of the trappings in the video. I watched a couple things and I still have no worldly idea how it's actually played.

You have to do stuff like hold left/right to take corners or press a button to break barriers (with more mechanics added as you go), everything is timed to the rhythm of the music, and the sound for successfully hitting an input compliments the song.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Thumper is legit one of the few games I've ever had to stop playing because it was too hard for me.

Depressing Box
Jun 27, 2010

Half-price sideshow.
Same here, specifically after level 4 or so when the difficultly curve becomes a series of cliffs. Still a well-made game, but one that's a bit beyond my reaction time.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Any tips for playing Puyo Puyo big bang mode? Got to world 3-4 without breaking a sweat and I just don't "get" this mode.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Nephzinho posted:

Any tips for playing Puyo Puyo big bang mode? Got to world 3-4 without breaking a sweat and I just don't "get" this mode.

Basically you're looking for a "key", one incomplete set of 3 puyo that set off a chain reaction to clear the whole board. It's purely pattern recognition and learning how to set off the whole thing without breaking the chain. There are a set number of patterns; Big Bang was previously called Fever mode in other Puyo games, there's probably a guide to the patterns around somewhere...

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Tempura Wizard posted:

Basically you're looking for a "key", one incomplete set of 3 puyo that set off a chain reaction to clear the whole board. It's purely pattern recognition and learning how to set off the whole thing without breaking the chain. There are a set number of patterns; Big Bang was previously called Fever mode in other Puyo games, there's probably a guide to the patterns around somewhere...

Is there always an All Clear with the first drop? Or do some of them require building? Because sometimes it just doesn't feel like there is an All Clear on the board, and building towards one feels like a waste of cycles and every turn just makes it harder.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

pixaal posted:

I can't wait for auto play levels designed with HD rumble that feels like things. And this level is cat, it feels like a purring cat.

You have to eat the mushrooms using the ir camera

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Nephzinho posted:

Is there always an All Clear with the first drop? Or do some of them require building? Because sometimes it just doesn't feel like there is an All Clear on the board, and building towards one feels like a waste of cycles and every turn just makes it harder.

If by the first "drop" you mean the first puyo you get on that board, no. It's not a given that your puyo that you get to drop are going to be the same color as the "key", you may have to find places to shove the pieces that don't fit where they won't mess up the chain, or set off the wrong part of the pattern before you get a piece that has the same color as they "key".

However, provided you get a first piece with both puyo the same color as the "key", every set should be a full-clear scenario.

The difference between a "clear" and "miss" is if any of they puyo on the original board are left standing after your first reaction. All the junk you have to deal with to set off the reaction are fine to have left on the board.

Also an obligatory mention that we have a dedicated Puyo Tetris thread.

Tempura Wizard fucked around with this message at 18:06 on May 12, 2017

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

Sakurazuka posted:

Thumper is legit one of the few games I've ever had to stop playing because it was too hard for me.

it wasn't too hard for me but i had to play like one level per day because it was so drat stressful. cool game though

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

This is the only TellTale game I've played to completion and yeah, it's awesome

Have you checked out their Borderlands one? No matter how you feel about the actual Borderlands games or Telltale "games", Tales from the Borderlands is definitely worth anyone's time.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
I tried a couple of TellTale games but I was so distracted by what a technical disaster they were I had to stop playing because I felt insulted

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

whaley posted:

I tried a couple of TellTale games but I was so distracted by what a technical disaster they were I had to stop playing because I felt insulted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeY5H2JRYic

Seems pretty good to me???

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Tempura Wizard posted:

If by the first "drop" you mean the first puyo you get on that board, no. It's not a given that your puyo that you get to drop are going to be the same color as the "key", you may have to find places to shove the pieces that don't fit where they won't mess up the chain, or set off the wrong part of the pattern before you get a piece that has the same color as they "key".

However, provided you get a first piece with both puyo the same color as the "key", every set should be a full-clear scenario.

The difference between a "clear" and "miss" is if any of they puyo on the original board are left standing after your first reaction. All the junk you have to deal with to set off the reaction are fine to have left on the board.

Also an obligatory mention that we have a dedicated Puyo Tetris thread.

This makes so much more sense now. Will give it another shot over the weekend.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Nephzinho posted:

This makes so much more sense now. Will give it another shot over the weekend.

I'll go into a bit more detail since work is slow at the moment and other people might be reading too. Let's look at a screenshot I found online of some simple Big Bang patterns:

On the left board, we can look for our key by figuring out what the reaction might be. In most cases, the key will be towards the top of the pattern; the chain reaction will work its way downwords to a cleared state.

Based on what we know about chains, it looks like the top bar of 3 blue puyo are keeping the greens around it (and everything else) from reacting. That's probably our key. Our key is blue. So we'll keep things simple and shove the green-red we just got off to the far-right side to avoid setting anything off so we can get to that green-blue that's coming up next. We plop the blue down with the other three and set off the chain for a successful clear.

(Bonus Time: We could have gotten fancy and used that first piece in the pattern for an all-clear. Just putting it down (vertically) on either of the spaces on top of blue would work it into the chain and cleared everything.)

On the right board we have to do a little more work. This is what is called a 3-1 stair chain, each set of 3 of the lower color clears and drops down the next 1 color to clear the set of 3 next to it. We can see there's four of everything, except for yellow which only has three in this pattern. We need to find places for these two pieces before we get to the yellow in our preview box.

Anything that doesn't set off the chain is safe, so we'll rotate this piece to the right once so it's (R-G) and drop it straight down. Nice and easy. However, we don't want to do the same with the next piece as it also has a green and would set off some of the greens that are in the pattern, but not our key! We'll rotate it left so it's (G-B) and drop it on top of our last piece. Nice and safe. All that's left is to drop the yellow piece down the well to touch our key and set off the chain!

(Again, if we play our cards right and think quickly, we should be able to get another all-clear. If we don't rotate and drop our puyo differently, we can work them into the chain to be cleared. We'll still drop them on top of the pieces to the right of the well (columns 2 and 3, if you want to think of them that way) but we'll drop them vertically, with Green over Red on top of column 3 and Green over Blue on top of column 2. This should result in an all-clear!)

Hopefully this gives everyone some simple insight to Big Bang. Please let me know if this was helpful or if anyone has any questions!

Tempura Wizard fucked around with this message at 19:06 on May 12, 2017

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Tempura Wizard posted:

I'll go into a bit more detail since work is slow at the moment and other people might be reading too. Let's look at a screenshot I found online of some simple Big Bang patterns:

On the left board, we can look for our key by figuring out what the reaction might be. In most cases, the key will be towards the top of the pattern; the chain reaction will work its way downwords to a cleared state.

Based on what we know about chains, it looks like the top bar of 3 blue puyo are keeping the greens around it (and everything else) from reacting. That's probably our key. Our key is blue. So we'll keep things simple and shove the green-red we just got off to the far-right side to avoid setting anything off so we can get to that green-blue that's coming up next. We plop the blue down with the other three and set off the chain for a successful clear.

(Bonus Time: We could have gotten fancy and used that first piece in the pattern for an all-clear. Just putting it down (vertically) on either of the spaces on top of blue would work it into the chain and cleared everything.)

On the right board we have to do a little more work. This is what is called a 3-1 stair chain, each set of 3 of the lower color clears and drops down the next 1 color to clear the set of 3 next to it. We can see there's four of everything, except for yellow which only has three in this pattern. We need to find places for these two pieces before we get to the yellow in our preview box.

Anything that doesn't set off the chain is safe, so we'll rotate this piece to the right once so it's (R-G) and drop it straight down. Nice and easy. However, we don't want to do the same with the next piece as it also has a green and would set off some of the greens that are in the pattern, but not our key! We'll rotate it left so it's (G-B) and drop it on top of our last piece. Nice and safe. All that's left is to drop the yellow piece down the well to touch our key and set off the chain!

(Again, if we play our cards right and think quickly, we should be able to get another all-clear. If we don't rotate and drop our puyo differently, we can work them into the chain to be cleared. We'll still drop them on top of the pieces to the right of the well (columns 2 and 3, if you want to think of them that way) but we'll drop them vertically, with Green over Red on top of column 3 and Green over Blue on top of column 2. This should result in an all-clear!)

Hopefully this gives everyone some simple insight to Big Bang. Please let me know if this was helpful or if anyone has any questions!

That is really helpful, thanks.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Man, reading that poo poo just makes me realize that I'm not even playing the same game as the people who are good at it.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Imagined posted:

Man, reading that poo poo just makes me realize that I'm not even playing the same game as the people who are good at it.

Yeah, the tetris rotate blocks to fit makes sense to me as I am moderately okay at Tetris after idly playing it for 25 years. But puyo puyo? Never touched it before.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Suspicious Cook posted:

Have you checked out their Borderlands one? No matter how you feel about the actual Borderlands games or Telltale "games", Tales from the Borderlands is definitely worth anyone's time.

Tales of the Borderlands is on my radar, I'll have to check it out at some point

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Just got 3-4 done my first try after having the mode explained. Cool. Cool cool cool.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

This is certainly a thing:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071YVC3NJ

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Lol 24 dollars for a male usbc in a box with no wires or chips

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I'm actually kinda tempted if it wasn't 25 bux

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

You have to take your perfectly good dock apart and rebuild it what is tempting you

• Locked thread