Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD

Sharrow posted:

https://twitter.com/LawrenceDunhill/status/863032679595421696
https://twitter.com/tomfish1989/status/863037174702383104

Pinch of salt and all that, but that's laughably low. I guess someone's just been hit with drive-by ransomware and these trusts all have some amount of common infrastructure?

Be interesting to see where the buttcoin goes though! https://blockchain.info/address/115p7UMMngoj1pMvkpHijcRdfJNXj6LrLn
Yeah I'm going to assume it's a drive-by and it has self-proliferated on the internal NHS network, rather than a gang targeting the NHS directly. I mean no gang would be stupid enough to deliberately launch a ransomware attack against the NHS because it has no money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Even if you think Corbyn isn't to the left of Miliband he was certainly to the left of his alternatives in the first leadership contest. They were all going in on the 'we will cut just as much as the Tories but we'll do it in a nicer way, promise' line.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Lovechop posted:

not at all. you see, if left unchecked the tory population can be very damaging to the countryside and the environment in general. it's important to keep the numbers down.

Only because you build artificial dens for them to breed via strawman arguments & telling everyone with a differing opinion to "go vote Tory".

Without the Tory hunt their numbers manage themselves, even if the occasional rural farmer gets his chicken coop ravaged by Theresa May.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD

Ewan posted:

Yeah I'm going to assume it's a drive-by and it has self-proliferated on the internal NHS network, rather than a gang targeting the NHS directly. I mean no gang would be stupid enough to deliberately launch a ransomware attack against the NHS because it has no money.
Also the media reporting is painful, with reporters clearly not understanding how ransomware works/proliferates.

NHS TARGETED IN GIANT CYBER ATTACK WITH HACKERS DEMANDING RANSOM MONEY

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
This attack is much bigger than the NHS, it seems to be affecting Windows systems worldwide.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Sharrow posted:

Be interesting to see where the buttcoin goes though! https://blockchain.info/address/115p7UMMngoj1pMvkpHijcRdfJNXj6LrLn
That address has already received one £205 payment which is close to the ransom amount, within error for exchange rates/fees etc. Lots of the other screenshots have other buttcoin addresses.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pesmerga posted:

Windows systems
Jeremy Cobryn will switch all computers to Nova Linux for free.

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

Ewan posted:

Also the media reporting is painful, with reporters clearly not understanding how ransomware works/proliferates.

NHS TARGETED IN GIANT CYBER ATTACK WITH HACKERS DEMANDING RANSOM MONEY

It's making for some fun Friday afternoon reading. Going to be very interesting to see which NHS Orgs have been hit and which haven't. See which ones have decent IT policies or not.
Couldn't possibly comment on my own one of course...

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Just how many of the UKMT regulars are computer touchers anyway?

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

sassassin posted:

Only because you build artificial dens for them to breed via strawman arguments & telling everyone with a differing opinion to "go vote Tory".

Without the Tory hunt their numbers manage themselves, even if the occasional rural farmer gets his chicken coop ravaged by Theresa May.

okay, but if they come anywhere near my land i'm scaring them off with a broom.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Oberleutnant posted:

Far too many by the sound of things. Probably behind this ransom nonsense. Can't trust those computer types.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Oberleutnant posted:

I'm touching one right now!

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Oberleutnant posted:

I think it's time we had an Inquiry into this matter.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Pesmerga posted:

This attack is much bigger than the NHS, it seems to be affecting Windows systems worldwide.

The rumoured companies already lists like a whose who of European companies, although none other than the NHS in the UK. Its odd it seems to be only European companies that have been hit but the scale is looking colossal if the rumours are true.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

ukle posted:

The rumoured companies already lists like a whose who of European companies, although none other than the NHS in the UK. Its odd it seems to be only European companies that have been hit but the scale is looking colossal if the rumours are true.

We must Brexit quicker!

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Sharrow posted:

Pinch of salt and all that, but that's laughably low. I guess someone's just been hit with drive-by ransomware and these trusts all have some amount of common infrastructure?
I got hit by a drive–by ransom attack today in that I had to pay £90 for the privilege of renewing the contract on my flat :mad:

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

https://twitter.com/ReesMoggBlog/status/862412667738345473

Cue pages of responses from over 40s telling him it was great

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

Far too many by the sound of things. Probably behind this ransom nonsense. Can't trust those computer types.

I was in a room with an old duffer the other day and he was shouting down the phone at his secretary about "stupid people" who spend their entire lives working at computers and how they're nothing like portrait artists who "use their hands to create wonderful things, and have beautiful thoughts".

And I though yes, it would be nice not to spend the rest of my life sat at a computer wouldn't it. :geno:

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Ewan posted:

Why is that guys Twitter tag @ReesMoggBlog

This is highly problematic

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Oberleutnant posted:

I was in a room with an old duffer the other day and he was shouting down the phone at his secretary about "stupid people" who spend their entire lives working at computers and how they're nothing like portrait artists who "use their hands to create wonderful things, and have beautiful thoughts".

And I though yes, it would be nice not to spend the rest of my life sat at a computer wouldn't it. :geno:
Show him some of the old GBS photoshop threads.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

ukle posted:

Hacker twitter is saying it's using the exploit patched by this release

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/security/ms17-010.aspx

Run your security updates guys!

EDIT: That's one of the zero-day exploits that was let into the "wild" by the Shadow Brokers (widely believed to be NSA tools) leaks btw. https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/msrc/2017/04/14/protecting-customers-and-evaluating-risk/

Ewan fucked around with this message at 16:30 on May 12, 2017

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Ewan posted:

He's literally 22

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Oberleutnant posted:

LIZ KENDALL! :argh:

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

ronya posted:

what happened was that the British govt (i.e., Thatcher) did take the revenues, but it used it mainly to pursue deficit reduction. Both (non-oil, non-privatisation-asset-sale) revenue and spending (defense and non-defense both) as a percentage of GDP increased over the period 1979-1990.

this was, if you prefer, the use of windfall revenues to buy macroeconomic peace, instead of enduring the rocky realities faced by Callaghan and Wilson. Thatcher did not have to have an incomes policy.

one left-leaning perspective, emphasising the distributive impact.

Refreshingly different

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Ewan posted:

EDIT: That's one of the zero-day exploits that was let into the "wild" by the Shadow Brokers (widely believed to be NSA tools) leaks btw. https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/msrc/2017/04/14/protecting-customers-and-evaluating-risk/

Can you drop a couple links to the source twits if they're not private / follow-only?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Trickjaw posted:

LIZ KENDALL! :argh:
She's having a party on Sunday.

Not sure why it's cheaper on the door than booking in advance, unless there was a computer touching error.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Oberleutnant posted:

The poo poo Tankie gimmick mod defending Nazis is the funniest party of his entire dumb gimmick.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

forkboy84 posted:

The poo poo Tankie gimmick mod defending Nazis is the funniest party of his entire dumb gimmick.

when he posts nazi poo poo he gets the hammer, just like last time

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

forkboy84 posted:

its a 6 hour probation who cares lol

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
What does it say in the probation reason?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jose posted:

its a 6 hour probation who cares lol

Who cares about the probation? I just think it's hilarious that the pretend Tankie is protecting the Nazi from the rude people telling him to gently caress off.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Can you drop a couple links to the source twits if they're not private / follow-only?

https://twitter.com/GossiTheDog/status/863051751376683008

https://twitter.com/kafeine/status/863049739583016960

https://twitter.com/cyberkryption/status/863062271907557377

The doc in the last one is the Spanish Cyber security authorities saying it's MS17-010. (Same attack has hit a Spanish telco).

Not 100% but enough knocking around that it's at least likely - maybe just as the initial infection method, before then using something else to proliferate within intranets.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
Applying urgent security updates asap should be SOP in all IT departments but on average it takes 180 days for the average business to apply such an update - which is hilarious .

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

forkboy84 posted:

Who cares about the probation? I just think it's hilarious that the pretend Tankie is protecting the Nazi from the rude people telling him to gently caress off.

report bad posts and take your issues to pms or qcs. gc is on the thinnest of ice for as long as i'm modding this forum and telling him to gently caress off feeds his persecution complex

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
'1.5m oldsters in their graves' could swing second EU vote, says Ian McEwan

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/may/12/15m-oldsters-in-their-graves-could-swing-second-eu-vote-says-ian-mcewan

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Ewan posted:

hmmmmm but that doesn't seem to have a patch for 2001's hottest OS, Windows XP?

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

baka kaba posted:

hmmmmm but that doesn't seem to have a patch for 2001's hottest OS, Windows XP?

NHS has extended support cover from MS to patch those. It costs them an absolute fortune as well for MS to provide the support.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Labour should be blaming this on a lack.of resourcing. Wonder what the IT budget cuts have been like under Hunt?

Tories will say 'People have died, don't play politics.'

Response should be 'People have died because of your politics.'

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Jippa posted:

'1.5m oldsters in their graves' could swing second EU vote, says Ian McEwan

Corbyn in 'Altered Beast' shocker scandal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

ukle posted:

NHS has extended support cover from MS to patch those. It costs them an absolute fortune as well for MS to provide the support.

somewhere a team of programmers sits in an office knowing if they don't keep writing patches for this 15-year-old Microsoft software, people will die. their life is endless suffering

• Locked thread