Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

thatguy posted:

They should keep this is; one of the most creative ship designs they have to offer.

It certainly seems more fun (albeit game immersion(?) breaking) than whatever fidelitious boring as gently caress space travel the worst of the Citizens have in mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

thatguy posted:

They should keep this is; one of the most creative ship designs they have to offer.

Meh, been done before.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Malibutomi is in the comments valiantly defending Chris Roberts E-honor.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Sunswipe posted:

Meh, been done before.

loving hell, even their bugs are archering poo poo now

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Erenthal posted:

i'm just surprised they aren't already selling banu fleshlights on their store

That should be a ship.

Sunswipe posted:

Meh, been done before.

That was almost as incomprehensible to me as 'Lost cities of gold', but may have pre-disposed me to other bonkers French sci-fi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPeqNTqZNN0

So stoked.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

TheAgent posted:

hello
[*]new free-to-play model: no need to buy game package, f2p accounts do not start out with a ship
[*]loaner ships will be able to be rented for real world currencies, can charge by hour or use
[/list]

Think about the fuckeries we could pull off if these two turn out to be true.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

TheAgent posted:

also the guys entire programming portfolio is poo poo he created in 3ds max with super high poly counts

seriously

This is exactly how you get a programming job at CIG.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Hobold posted:

All of the amazing, and incredibly expensive mocap bullshit is wasted once people start to realize keyframe animations are still the majority here. Everything teleports to its place, does the thing, and teleports to new place if necessary.

Because motion capture is how Chris Roberts participates with his game as the Chairman. The more motion capture he makes, the better the game is because look at how hard he is doing this stuff.

It's irrelevant that they should have used an IK system once they decided that characters need to realistically interact with the environment. That's programming which is not as fun as motion capture.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Xaerael posted:

Proof that the subsumption AI is already in and educated about CIG dev methods.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/863033941992910848

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Xaerael posted:

Like someone said before, the code has achieved sentience.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Lol, watching the Battletech pre-beta muliplayer video and this line stuck out a little too much.

"Now before Mike actually takes the shot, one of the things about our design process, our prototyping process, at Harebrained Schemes we don't - I've been at game companies where the Game Director, the Lead Designer, sort of comes down the mountain with these two stone tablets and says 'This is my GAME DESIGN, if you just execute exactly this we win' and uh... I've never seen that actually work, so instead it's a very iterative process with us. And so we do a very iterative thing, we play the game and say 'gee I wish we could do this, I wish we could do that.'"

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/GhandiSardiner/status/863037196529434625

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
#IGhandWithGhandi

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Beet Wagon posted:

Lol, watching the Battletech pre-beta muliplayer video and this line stuck out a little too much.

"Now before Mike actually takes the shot, one of the things about our design process, our prototyping process, at Harebrained Schemes we don't - I've been at game companies where the Game Director, the Lead Designer, sort of comes down the mountain with these two stone tablets and says 'This is my GAME DESIGN, if you just execute exactly this we win' and uh... I've never seen that actually work, so instead it's a very iterative process with us. And so we do a very iterative thing, we play the game and say 'gee I wish we could do this, I wish we could do that.'"
whoa whoa, actually playing a game? that doesn't sound very cinematic to me

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

TrustmeImLegit posted:

I just don't understand why you would go through all this effort with the animations and then just pop them in like a cheap indie game. What a giant waste of time. There are ways to do that correctly.

For example: The box teleporting into place

Lots of games do that. Its an accepted part of the industry when you are trying to let the player do things quick and focus on other parts of the game. The gamer understands and accepts the abstraction so they can move on to the actual game.

But with Star Citizen:
Whats hosed up is you have to sit through that loving animation everytime just to have it teleport at the end. So any immersion gained by the animation is instantly lost. And it just becomes a tedious negative to have to sit through that animation. That expensive animation that took you forever to poo poo out is now an active detriment to your game because of lazy implementation.

Like I'm not some hot poo poo game developer this is common loving sense.

IK is programming a lot and is hard. Chris Roberts doesn't like that since it's not fun like directing a guy how to mop or pick up boxes. Programming is where CIG is poo poo, and is making no leaps to fix.

What's going to happen, as I predicted in my July blog, is that Star Citizen is going to have the animation fidelity of a Bethesda game. Right now it looks like they are snapping the item to its end location instead of the player. What I believe will happen is clicking <Use> will move/snap your character on top of the X spot in the animation so that it looks good.

This is perfectly fine, it's just a significant step behind games like Uncharted or and such. It's removing genuine fidelity and quality because you want to play motion capture director.

It will also lead to enormous problems once they get around to character customization, unless everybody will be exactly the same height and body dimensions. Using IK here would be hugely useful for different character shapes and sizes.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

spacetoaster posted:

Malibutomi is in the comments valiantly defending Chris Roberts E-honor.

I don't think citizens understand how counterproductive that is. If the paper sees that the comment activity on Star Citizen was higher than other articles, they're more likely to write more.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Virtual Captain posted:

It's almost as if CryEngine was the wrong choice for all the features Star Citizen promised. Do you think Chris chose it because it had that "cinematic feel" but failed to consider if it was well suited for the gameplay he was after?

I'm sure the project is in good hands though.

He chose it because it looked good, and crytek built his initial demo for him. Because he can't program for poo poo but will never admit that.

They continue to use it because CR is uninvolved with the production of his game on a technical level.

They failed to use it properly because the original scope of the game could have been done in CryEngine but they long since passed that mark and went full on crazy.

Honestly I don't think Unreal or even a custom engine built from ground up could deliver what CR has promised. It's basically going to amount to different levels of disappointment due to bad design decisions that aren't feasible (looking forward to being in a ship instance looking in another instance looking in another ship instance, and even better firing a gun through those instances and watching it work flawlessly because this is possible because nobody just tried to do it before until now).

So if you ignore the fact that CIG has pretty much the absolute worst programming capabilities, you may come close!

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

The Titanic posted:

They failed to use it properly because the original scope of the game could have been done in CryEngine but they long since passed that mark and went full on crazy.

Honestly I don't think Unreal or even a custom engine built from ground up could deliver what CR has promised. It's basically going to amount to different levels of disappointment due to bad design decisions that aren't feasible (looking forward to being in a ship instance looking in another instance looking in another ship instance, and even better firing a gun through those instances and watching it work flawlessly because this is possible because nobody just tried to do it before until now).

CryEngine/Lumberyard would probably work pretty well for SQ42. I don't see why they don't focus on making any progress there. Mountain of MoCap data probably.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

TrustmeImLegit posted:

But on Reddit they're creaming themselves over it because when you are used to seeing nothing or utter trash all the time you get soaking wet at the sight of mediocrity.

Can confirm the soaking wetness.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Gosh, I'm just imagining all the stuff you can do with this system alone. Imagine a group of bandits ambushing and capturing another group of innocent explorers. The bandit leader kills all players except for one, but removes that players helmet and throws it over a cliff into the water. "I hope you know how to swim" says the bandit. That exposed and slowly suffocating player now has to hurry and find that helmet. And if he survives... maybe get his revenge? This is going to add a whole new meaning to story in video games if this is pulled off correctly.

This is my imagination as well, except I'm bunny hopping the whole time and typing in "lol" in the chat constantly. When they take off my helmet my bald man head deforms and vanished so I'm just eyeballs and a mouth with 4K textures. I do

/licklips

So my mouth is constantly going "Shulp shlup shlup!" When I fly down to get my helmet I walk on the water because it's not supported and then somebody crashes into the bandits in a ship, but it bounces off like a rubber ball and cartwheels off into space, attaching to the orbiting engineering station which also cartwheels off into infinity.

I put my helmet on and the game crashes.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

The Titanic posted:

What's going to happen, as I predicted in my July blog, is that Star Citizen is going to have the animation fidelity of a Bethesda game. Right now it looks like they are snapping the item to its end location instead of the player. What I believe will happen is clicking <Use> will move/snap your character on top of the X spot in the animation so that it looks good.

Cannot do this because the whole point is to have a single set of animations for the 3rd and 1st person. So having your 1st person camera jump as the player gets snapped will bring unprecedented VR-like nausea to the non-VR world. Not even CIG is that dumb.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

trucutru posted:

Cannot do this because the whole point is to have a single set of animations for the 3rd and 1st person. So having your 1st person camera jump as the player gets snapped will bring unprecedented VR-like nausea to the non-VR world. Not even CIG is that dumb.

Doesn't it already do this whenever an immersion animation plays?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

trucutru posted:

You're even dumber than CIG for saying that.

Ok, I'm sorry, that's really mean. You're almost as dumb as CIG for saying that.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Welcome to the year 2017, a time where even a single video game can be a bubble

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

AP posted:

OLISTAR GRAVITY WHEEL FLYING AROUND

STEPS TO REPRODUCE
1 Don't know

ACTUAL RESULT
A player was some how flying one of the rings of Port Olistar around like it was a ship.

EXPECTED RESULT
To stay as part of the space station.

http://i.imgur.com/mTZ8fzp.gifv

The Rings of Olistar will be the name of the tell-all book from this disaster of a game. how many god damned bugs have been related to those things?

more importantly, how is this stupid thing not just a static prop with collision. how do these bugs keep happening. how are they even possible?!

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

SirPenguin posted:

The Rings of Olistar will be the name of the tell-all book from this disaster of a game. how many god damned bugs have been related to those things?

more importantly, how is this stupid thing not just a static prop with collision. how do these bugs keep happening. how are they even possible?!

You underestimate how dumb this whole thing is

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Virtual Captain posted:

It's almost as if CryEngine was the wrong choice for all the features Star Citizen promised. Do you think Chris chose it because it had that "cinematic feel" but failed to consider if it was well suited for the gameplay he was after?

I'm sure the project is in good hands though.

Trick question Chris wasn't after gameplay. (see fidelity)

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

SirPenguin posted:

how are they even possible?!

Now you're beginning to see the big picture, guuny. It takes a visionary to really expand the boundaries of the possible, probable and even 'sane', by your pedestrian 'realities'.

Phi230 posted:

You underestimate how dumb this whole thing is

Never underestimate the depths of human stupidity
- Ghandi

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

TheAgent posted:

Agreed. Bullshit like this can't stand between TBDSSE and all these actors.

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

TheAgent posted:

I've heard wicked rumors that designers at HBS also listen to the coders and implement design changes based on feedback...

Dark Arts indeed.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
Derek got banned from Reddit?

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT
It's actually Port Olisar but I can't fault anyone for not remembering this completely bland and unmemorable tripe.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Lladre posted:

Shots fired

:suspense:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Beet Wagon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWq8ynUq7wM

Checkmate, goons :smuggo:

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Lladre posted:

No, he just got downvoted so hard hes defacto shadowbanned from that specific subreddit.

Its why he posts as guyfawkes when hes feeling edgy and OSC when hes feeling erudite.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

LOL!! That guy is brutal :lol::lol::lol:

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.
Someone get this guy an account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT

Polish Avenger posted:

Someone get this guy an account.

He already said he wouldn't take it to remain "impartial".

Besides, Derek Smart already has an account here...