Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Kyrosiris posted:

Zarya/Varian/Auriel/Valla/Murky vs Genji/Anub/Malf/Abathur/Xul on Sky Temple.

This is gonna be a laugh riot.

I can't tell which team you think is unfairly advantaged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

SKULL.GIF posted:

I can't tell which team you think is unfairly advantaged.

I didn't think there was anything unfair about it (though the Genji team ended up winning - this is HGC stuff) but it was funny as poo poo to watch.

Double Genji. :iia:

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Nephzinho posted:

She was first pick/ban for a long time like a year ago.

Which was mostly because of battle momentum reducing the CD on Shadowstalk at the time. She was a solid solo healer, with a global team HoT + short term invis that seemed to be off of CD whenever you wanted it. Also rewind + owl sniping an abathur. Those were the days.

e: the more I think about it, the more I love that supports are sort of getting less heal bot oriented and more enabling oriented. Sure they still heal. But Uther's strength is the mitigation from Devotion, Tass has shields and vision, Tyrande cranks up the team's damage (although you can still dump a lot of healing out if you're good at stutter stepping). More enablers and less heal bots would be awesome and fun and good.

As it stands the two support meta seems to focus on just making two teams unable to kill the other until one team's support's blue bars are gone because of all of the healing only supports. That's kind of boring to watch and to play.

NeurosisHead fucked around with this message at 19:07 on May 12, 2017

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Kyrosiris posted:

I didn't think there was anything unfair about it (though the Genji team ended up winning - this is HGC stuff) but it was funny as poo poo to watch.

Double Genji. :iia:

Oh I interpreted it as a complaint about matchmaking, my bad.

Yeah Abathur is a frequent pick in HGC because of being able to copy Greymane, and now Genji I guess. Glad to see he found his niche, wish Blizzard would buff Monstrosity a bit.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

IcePhoenix posted:

She was one of the first heroes I played when I started playing again after 2.0 and is still my only level 10 hero, and I've been wondering why more people didn't play her.

Because she still can't heal very well or mitigate damage and people lean on a support for that in QM. I used to like her a lot in the early days of HotS, back during the stun meta and then later when her global heal was amazing/she was admittedly broken. As is, she really struggles as a lone support, though has a drafting niche. If you're playing against a team that can dive or melt you before you get into range for her mark, you just wind up being a lovely assassin. Rework seems to be boosting her up to crazy damage.

My favorite era of Tyrande really was when she felt like a flex character that could easily spec to fill what your team needed. A sort of jack of all trades support that had marginal utility as a back up for either more CC, healing, siege/structure damage, or team fight damage, but would really only excel at one of those per match.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Coolness Averted posted:

Because she still can't heal very well or mitigate damage and people lean on a support for that in QM. I used to like her a lot in the early days of HotS, back during the stun meta and then later when her global heal was amazing/she was admittedly broken. As is, she really struggles as a lone support, though has a drafting niche. If you're playing against a team that can dive or melt you before you get into range for her mark, you just wind up being a lovely assassin. Rework seems to be boosting her up to crazy damage.

My favorite era of Tyrande really was when she felt like a flex character that could easily spec to fill what your team needed. A sort of jack of all trades support that had marginal utility as a back up for either more CC, healing, siege/structure damage, or team fight damage, but would really only excel at one of those per match.

All I see here is "dummies didn't go full owl and are bad at skillshots"

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Coolness Averted posted:

Yeah, that Tyrande was a true "multiclass" character and not the forced implementation they tried with Varian.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Fellatio del Toro posted:

To answer seriously: The color coding system allows the 5% of annoying weirdos who really need everyone to know what level they are to have a cool purple border or whatever while in reality no one else cares enough to know what the colors actually mean. The purpose is to dramatically cut down on the "they have +50 levels loving GG" while also placating the hardcore DOTA rejects. See also: COD prestige emblems

When you put it like that I actually like it? I'd feel bad seeing people on the other team whose level was like eight times mine, but the way it's presented has less of that immediate impact. It's a nice little psychological thing.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I've forced myself to take RoD on a few Gul'dan games, it definitely forces a lot of counter play on every cast. Still will be taking Horrify on Sonya and the like, but against teams where I have relative safety and don't see Horrify as a free kill/get out of jail free card I think I'll be giving it a better shot.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Spudd posted:

We've got four elements of Mage now right? Karl'thas fire, Jaina frost, Li-Ming arcane and Gul'Dan fel. I'd really like Khadgar to be a hero with dad jokes for every other hero but I don't know what mage he would be.

Presumably WoW style arcane mage, with building up arcane charges.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Mengsk, Deathwing, and Stukov are the three heroes that have had assets in the client for almost a year that haven't been released yet, so he is definitely on the radar.

Sometimes they have assets and completely redo them though. The Overmind had voice and art files in the game since Beta, but they turned him into Abathur instead.

The Mengsk files have sound effects for skills called "Propaganda Tower" and art assets for "Psi Emitter" but it is entirely possible that those are abandoned since they have been there for so long.

Vote Overmind for core replacement hero. :toot:

Also; Firebat, Malthael, Kel'Thuzad! :argh:

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

PureRok posted:

Wish they were in the same order to make it easier to compare.

As you wish...

code:
 1% more  goons than Redditors picked Battlefield of Eternity
22% more  goons than Redditors picked Blackheart's Bay
16% more  goons than Redditors picked Braxis Holdout
19% fewer goons than Redditors picked Cursed Hollow
16% fewer goons than Redditors picked Dragon Shire
19% more  goons than Redditors picked Garden of Terror
31% more  goons than Redditors picked Hanamura
31% fewer goons than Redditors picked Haunted Mines
 4% more  goons than Redditors picked Infernal Shrines
23% more  goons than Redditors picked Sky Temple
 7% fewer goons than Redditors picked Tomb of the Spider Queen
 4% more  goons than Redditors picked Towers of Doom
17% fewer goons than Redditors picked Warhead Junction
The above is percentage, not percentage points. For instance, "31% more goons than redditors picked Hanamura" is the same as "4 percentage points more goons than redditors picked Hanamura" because (17-13)/13= 131% and 17-13=4

Goon favorite maps:
73% Infernal Shrines
73% Sky Temple
72% Tomb of the Spider Queen
63% Battlefield of Eternity
58% Dragon Shire
56% Cursed Hollow
53% Towers of Doom
42% Braxis Holdout
40% Blackheart's Bay
22% Garden of Terror
19% Warhead Junction
17% Hanamura
14% Haunted Mines

Reddit map preference:
77% Tomb of the Spider Queen
70% Infernal Shrines
69% Dragon Shire
69% Cursed Hollow
63% Battlefield of Eternity
59% Sky Temple
51% Towers of Doom
36% Braxis Holdout
33% Blackheart's Bay
22% Warhead Junction
20% Haunted Mines
19% Garden of Terror
13% Hanamura

Raw data

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Polio Vax Scene posted:

There's OP, and there's

The DotA solution

Polio Vax Scene posted:

"doing everything another role can do but better while also doing your original role" OP.

The LoL solution. :v:

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I couldn't complete the survey because I only like two maps

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Spider Queen sucks.

Give me giant maps and impactful objectives all day, errydey.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Spider Queen sucks.

Give me giant maps and impactful objectives all day, errydey.

Spider Queen has a very impactful objective and is a constant dance of ganks and rotations. Great map.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

It's exhausting like the hour long dragon shrine fights.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Towers of Doom is by far the best map.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Fuzz posted:

Towers of Doom is by far the best map.

It's funny because there was a reddit thread on the map rotation woes and people over there haaaaaaaate Towers of Doom.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Towers of Doom is great because pushing matters so incredibly much on that map and even at Diamond many players haven't figured it out yet. Seizing a fort is an extreme blow to the enemy team that they will spend tons of time recovering from.

That combined with the general compactness means there's a ton of rotating and ganking. Then you add in the altars to concentrate teamfights on, and it's all around a great experience.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

I think towers is a better small map than spider butts

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I played a towers of doom game one time and there was a Greymane on the other team that would kill a tower before I could even come up from the bottom. The dude too down like four towers over the course of the game.

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

He who lives in harmony with himself lives in harmony with the universe.
Do you guys have any tips for Towers of Doom or a link to a good guide? I was looking at my stats yesterday and saw that it was my lowest win rate map by a large margin.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

SKULL.GIF posted:

Towers of Doom is great because pushing matters so incredibly much on that map and even at Diamond many players haven't figured it out yet. Seizing a fort is an extreme blow to the enemy team that they will spend tons of time recovering from.

That combined with the general compactness means there's a ton of rotating and ganking. Then you add in the altars to concentrate teamfights on, and it's all around a great experience.

What? The map is so small and forts die so fast that it's basically meaningless to take one other than right before an altar.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Cuntellectual posted:

What? The map is so small and forts die so fast that it's basically meaningless to take one other than right before an altar.

Forts only die quickly to certain heroes, and besides that's 1 to 3 heroes that're busy capturing forts and not ganking you or stopping pushes elsewhere or doing anything else relevant to the match.

Also, if you snatch a fort at the right time then you can push the enemy team into a vicious loop of recapturing forts right as you capture another fort.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Cuntellectual posted:

You force the enemy team into spending too much time on re-capturing their own forts and it makes your shrine captures better. You can also capture their other forts while they defend and put them on the back foot the entire game (they still have to wait the 30ish seconds for the fort to spawn). Or you can capture the bottom fort and aggressively defend it while pushing with camps, forcing the other team to constantly defend or eat some shots and it puts them at a disadvantage the entire time because they'll be fighting on top of your fort.

Taking forts is a huge part of the map, the creep/shrines are there to reward you with extra shots for taking forts.

edit: unlike hanamura where laning phase is pretty poo poo

AlphaKeny1 fucked around with this message at 23:34 on May 12, 2017

Musluk
May 23, 2011

BrianBoitano posted:

code:
22% more  goons than Redditors picked Blackheart's Bay

Yet another confirmation that goons are terrible.

e: http://us.battle.net/heroes/en/blog/20783380/the-nexus-is-shifting-battleground-rotations-5-12-2017

9 map rotations in the future instead of 6.

Musluk fucked around with this message at 23:20 on May 12, 2017

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Not to mention if you take the bottom/top keeps the camps will count as extra shots on their core if they get to the end of the lane. Taking the bottom keep is great value.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Musluk posted:

e: http://us.battle.net/heroes/en/blog/20783380/the-nexus-is-shifting-battleground-rotations-5-12-2017

my idea for map rotations: rotate out garden of terror, and then never rotate it back in. perfect map pool.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!

Musluk posted:

At least they're talking now, but the new map rotation is almost as bad if not worse. It doesn't include Dragon Shire or Blackheart's Bay? Those are classic, great maps. I might end up playing less because of this.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Why not just let people ban 2 maps from their rotation when they queue? :confused:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I could tell you which maps I liked the most and which I disliked the most and it would probably be directly correlated to the amount of times I won on that map.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Minrad posted:

my idea for map rotations: rotate out garden of terror, and then never rotate it back in. perfect map pool.

:yeah:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I'll be honest, I dig Towers and Tomb of the Spider Queen but I don't think I've ever had an enjoyable game on Dragon Shire. Maybe it's a map that doesn't shine unless you're playing with an organized team but every game I've ever had on it has just been an interminable series of slapfights around the shrines and people failing to activate the dragon and I'm pretty sure the last game I played of it nobody even claimed the first objective until it was level 13 or something dumb, it was a huge mess.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

Cuntellectual posted:

Why not just let people ban 2 maps from their rotation when they queue? :confused:

too many deck slots

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Kai Tave posted:

I'll be honest, I dig Towers and Tomb of the Spider Queen but I don't think I've ever had an enjoyable game on Dragon Shire. Maybe it's a map that doesn't shine unless you're playing with an organized team but every game I've ever had on it has just been an interminable series of slapfights around the shrines and people failing to activate the dragon and I'm pretty sure the last game I played of it nobody even claimed the first objective until it was level 13 or something dumb, it was a huge mess.

You shouldn't really try to claim the dragon early, its more valuable to put the other team off base defending stuff and pushing top or bot.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Playing this Nova brawl for the first time... I get why it has to be on Towers of Doom but it really needs to be on the one lane aram map.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Nephzinho posted:

You shouldn't really try to claim the dragon early, its more valuable to put the other team off base defending stuff and pushing top or bot.

early Dragon is like the first Punisher, way too weak to really accomplish anything.

At least an early Dragon is going to take two, maybe three towers, instead of leaping into the enemy team and dying instantly to the fort.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

if only sc2, the game hots was built on the back of, had some way to veto maps.

oh well.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

Minrad posted:

if only sc2, the game hots was built on the back of, had some way to veto maps.

oh well.

what a shame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

like it even solves the "problem" of people all vetoing a map and the people that like it can't play it: it just makes the vetoed maps less likely to come up, you can still get them. forcing people to play maps that they think are bad is just dumb though.