Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Crypto variant attacks are really hard to prevent so you focus on limiting the damage a single account can do and invest heavily in disaster recovery. Stories like this are the hammer I use to beat clients into compliance with best practices

To be fair, it's not like anyone could've seen this c- oh wait:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

SwampDonkey posted:

I care. Would you share more of your feelings?

alright how else would you label someone that is holding a hospital's patient records hostage

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Spicer is talking if anyone cares

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvlTVVMWwWE

The Orgasm Sanction
Dec 30, 2006

Svelte
Is that McMaster? :psyduck:

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

The Orgasm Sanction posted:

Is that McMaster? :psyduck:

Oh that's why I thought he sounded oddly military-like.

SwampDonkey
Oct 13, 2006

by Smythe

(and can't post for 4 years!)

Reverand maynard posted:

alright how else would you label someone that is holding a hospital's patient records hostage

a pentester perhaps

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

The article says it was Boeing's gently caress-up, not the Air Force.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Reverand maynard posted:

Look man, when everything is terrorism, then nothing will be.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Hot Karl Marx posted:

SMB thing, is that the 'printer and file sharing' setting in Windows? That's always been a big security issue iirc

It's the protocol that all of Windows' (and interoperability for Windows shares on other systems) file sharing runs on.

It's also the protocol that a bunch of Windows' domain stuff uses since it runs through a domain controller via a SYSVOL share.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Crypto variant attacks are really hard to prevent so you focus on limiting the damage a single account can do and invest heavily in disaster recovery. Stories like this are the hammer I use to beat clients into compliance with best practices

Yes and no. Pretty much all firewalls and IPSs can block it, and most endpoint solutions (Cisco AMP, Palo Alto TRAPS, etc.) can prevent it from encrypting the hard disk once it's actually on the machine. Plus, doing simple stuff like running an ad blocker can really cut down on it as well. The biggest vulnerabilities come from not properly securing poo poo like VPNs or BYOD networks, as the guy mentioned.

Comply to connect using a mixture of something like Bigfix and 802.1X is obviously becoming a big thing for those cases where some idiot takes his laptop out and about for a month and keeps clicking "restart later" on critical updates.

psydude fucked around with this message at 19:09 on May 12, 2017

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Doc Hawkins posted:

Look man, when everything is terrorism, then nothing will be.

It's plain old extortion. By the way, when someone like me talks to you about your business' or government agency's computer systems, and rather forcefully tells you "Please start doing X, Y, Z, it'll cost you 1% a year as much as fixing breaches or data loss" - please do it.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Spicey level: banana peel

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/863091229642432512

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Amurrrica.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

psydude posted:

Yes and no. Pretty much all firewalls and IPSs can block it, and most endpoint solutions (Cisco AMP, Palo Alto TRAPS, etc.) can prevent it from encrypting the hard disk once it's actually on the machine. Plus, doing simple stuff like running an ad blocker can really cut down on it as well. The biggest vulnerabilities come from not properly securing poo poo like VPNs or BYOD networks, as the guy mentioned.

Comply to connect using a mixture of something like Bigfix and 802.1X is obviously becoming a big thing for those cases where some idiot takes his laptop out and about for a month and keeps clicking "restart later" on critical updates.

Yes just like any threat you can mitigate a great number of risks but nothing is absolute so your plan better include what to do when you're hit because you will be at some point.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

:vince: :vince: :vince:

THIS IS A LEVEL BEYOND RETARDED

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

spicey can't say the US has a secret recording device but he also can't call the president a liar lol

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Yes just like any threat you can mitigate a great number of risks but nothing is absolute so your plan better include what to do when you're hit because you will be at some point.

Definitely. Automated containment and response (such as issuing an 802.1X change of authorization upon detection for quarantine) is becoming a big selling point right now.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Vengarr posted:

:vince: :vince: :vince:

THIS IS A LEVEL BEYOND RETARDED

Like Spicer said: his oath is the constitution and the American people.

:patriot:

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Nice try, Paul.

https://twitter.com/sbauerAP/status/863101399827132416

Anyways, the whole White House recording thing is a no-answer for three reasons. 1) Trump tower employees were constantly suspicious that their higher-ups were bugging them for years. 2) Omarosa yelled at reporters once about how they have recordings of reporters' phone calls. 3) Donnie is convinced that the wiretapp thing is real.

Edit: backup info - https://twitter.com/pbump/status/863102818604994560 https://twitter.com/pbump/status/863105260927188992 the second tweet is creepy as gently caress

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 20:21 on May 12, 2017

SwampDonkey
Oct 13, 2006

by Smythe

(and can't post for 4 years!)

the background is so grey today

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

facialimpediment posted:

Anyways, the whole White House recording thing is a no-answer for three reasons. 1) Trump tower employees were constantly suspicious that their higher-ups were bugging them for years. 2) Omarosa yelled at reporters once about how they have recordings of reporters' phone calls. 3) Donnie is convinced that the wiretapp thing is real.

Maybe Donnie's convinced the wiretapping is real because he's wiretapped all his own stuff and everybody, come on - EVERYBODY, wiretaps all their own stuff. Many people say that's the thing to do. The best thing.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Thwomp posted:

Maybe Donnie's convinced the wiretapping is real because he's wiretapped all his own stuff and everybody, come on - EVERYBODY, wiretaps all their own stuff. Many people say that's the thing to do. The best thing.

Worked out great for Nixon.
I can't even make a funny burn out of it because this is so goddamned stupid.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Honestly, I'm more willing to chalk up the White House's noncommittal response to simply being unable to keep up with all the claims Trump makes on a daily basis.

Trump isn't sharing poo poo with anyone so who the gently caress knows?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah you're probably right. But, since he's heavily implying it, I can see it being subpoenad and donny being loving stupid enough to try fight it instead of just admit he was talking poo poo again

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Sorry, I'm just pissed right now and hate that the vast majority of our law enforcement is designed to catch petty crooks and pot smokers while cyber attacks on our nations infrastructure from hospitals to the loving election go unpunished.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
imagine how different today could have been for countless people if trump simply didn't tweet anything this morning

like he begs to get poo poo on, it's incredible

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

CHICKEN SHOES posted:

like he begs to get pissed on, it's incredible

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Peetown Manning posted:

We depend on computers for everything. Can we develop idk, a different kind of computer to do all government, infrastructural and healthcare stuff? I mean NewEgg.com is like a loving armory at this point.

Nope.

See: VA medical software that is supposed to merge service medical records from completely different software from each branch that uses its own funky software.

Going in-house proprietary is no solution when you still have to run it all through loving windows.

brains
May 12, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

Paul Manafort was straight up working for Viktor Yanukovych before Trump.

yeah, but again, we're talking about active collusion. do you really think paul loving manafort was getting dead drop letters from FSB agents saying, "please make trump do this, sincerly, vlad." i don't think so. i think what's far more likely is he and his moron associates were completely willing to lobby on behalf of whoever would pay to get access to trump's ear, with no concern whatsoever (or intentional ignorance) for where or from whom those requests were actually coming from. again, not to imply innocence- he or someone like him is going to take the fall for playing directly into russia's hands, it just won't be trump.

facialimpediment posted:

Ahahahahahah gently caress I forgot about this law firm.

https://twitter.com/ChrisMurphyCT/status/863064487808708608

Donnie's law firm was that law firm named Russia Law Firm of the Year. :cripes:

the complete lack of the concept of optics is just the gift that keeps on giving.

brains fucked around with this message at 21:31 on May 12, 2017

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

The Independent posted:

FBI agents change their Facebook profile photos to James Comey – a gesture normally reserved for slain colleagues

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/fbi-agents-james-comey-change-profile-photos-a7730496.html

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I would be actively more surprised if there wasn't a bunch of 24/7 recordings in a lot of places in the west wing. Not to keep the recordings, but just to have someone transcribe everything that happens because it's incredibly important to keep all the daily promises and decisions straight.

The fact that Trump took what should be an official aid to the system and publicly floated about catching people saying ~things~ is just orange levels of dumb.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/863103542923603970

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

M_Gargantua posted:

orange levels of dumb.

hot drat this is awesome

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Two Finger posted:

hot drat this is awesome

We definitely need a phrase specific to this brand of fighting the enemy by punching yourself in the dick. I like this one.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Holy gently caress that could be a real spark.

Please be real and true.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Trump tweets gonna be lit af

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

give us the tapes lebowski

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Melissa McCarthy was driving the Press Corps podium dressed as Spicer through Downtown New York.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaUEoYrA_P0

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

They aren't gonna give them poo poo unless they're subpoenaed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

psydude posted:

They aren't gonna give them poo poo unless they're subpoenaed.

Pretty good way to call him on his bullshit though. Sure he's gonna flail around like a loving halfwit doing things only Donnie can think to do because that's what he does but, so what? Builds the narrative that he's a bumbling fool in over his head trying to bluff his way out of it.

• Locked thread