Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Colostomy Bag posted:

I assume this is in the GM museum.

Buahahahahahahahah. Nope those loving roaches still putt around my town all the time. And my shop Is one of the few places that will still work on older cars. Older being pre obd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

InitialDave posted:

Hahahahahaha

Like the chain strap wrench I use, there's always something that'll let you get a good enough grip on an oil filter to remove at least half of it...

Come at me

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Uthor posted:

I also use a bit of anti-seize so the wheels don't stick to the hubs.

I assume you mean on the hub, not the lug threads. This is just a PSA saying don't put that poo poo on the threads in case anybody saw that and thought that.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Larrymer posted:

I assume you mean on the hub, not the lug threads. This is just a PSA saying don't put that poo poo on the threads in case anybody saw that and thought that.

A little bit of neversieze on the lugs won't hurt a thing, if your torques are proper. Plus, it keeps the threads from galling/corroding to poo poo, for those of us in rusty areas.

No, your wheels aren't going to fall off. I've done it for over 20 years and I've never even had a properly-torqued nut even loosen, much less anything worse.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

clam ache posted:

Just change the oil on a cavalier with the OHV and you will see why channel locks dont always work. Or driving a screwdriver through it. Those ratchet attachements for filters are amazing. hF has a version that sucks. Craftsman makes one of the best and lisle has a similar offering.

IIRC, this is the one that has the oil filter directly above the exhaust flex joint, right? What a stupid decision.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Larrymer posted:

As Meatpimp said, anti-seize on the threads is not a significant issue. Typically the torque values have a big enough range in the spec anyways. Most of the clamping force comes from the surface between the lug nut and the wheel, so try to keep that clean.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I have one of those, too. What my comment was about was that sometimes you get a filter where all using a chain, strap, or three-leg wrench (or pliers) does is rip the filter in half because it's been properly hosed on.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I know what ya meant, just taking the opportunity to post my redneck crank pulley holder.

And fortunately I've never ripped an oil filter, though I have boogered up a couple proper getting them loose.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Larrymer posted:

I always make sure to put anti seize on the threads, that way the lug nuts don't seize onto the threads :confused:

Never had any looseness issues and it makes tire rotations so much easier. I've never had to use more than a breaker bar or my electric impact to remove lug nuts even though I live in the rustbelt.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

OSU_Matthew posted:

I always make sure to put anti seize on the threads, that way the lug nuts don't seize onto the threads :confused:

Never had any looseness issues and it makes tire rotations so much easier. I've never had to use more than a breaker bar or my electric impact to remove lug nuts even though I live in the rustbelt.

Me too. A little on the threads, and a bunch on the hub face to keep the dissimilar metals of the wheel/hub from welding themselves together.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Generally, you should use threaded fasteners clean and dry unless specifically instructed otherwise.

You probably won't hurt anything if you're sensible, but be aware you're changing the relationship between tightening torque and clamping force by about 10% or so depending on what you use.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

wallaka posted:

IIRC, this is the one that has the oil filter directly above the exhaust flex joint, right? What a stupid decision.

Yes but then it's tucked under the intake manifold between the crank sensor and transmission. So if you slip with a wrench be prepared to replace it because there GM platic and break when you give them a side eye.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Can anyone recommend a good and cheap dye set for our shop press?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

always be closing posted:

Can anyone recommend a good and cheap dye set for our shop press?

What color?

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Hue hue hue

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
What sizes? There are cheap ones out there, but they kinda suck.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
I sprayed Fluid Film all over my steel wheels front and back when I bought my car new. That poo poo is nasty smelly, I think it's made of lanolin, but the wheels still look freaking perfect 3 years later. More importantly they don't stick to the hubs. VEGANS HATE THIS ONE NEAT TRICK.

Some fastener engineer would probably be mad at us for putting antisieze on the lugs though. I read a very interesting rant about rotor clamping and over tightening the lugs somewhere, but I can't remember where for the life of me. All I know is it scared me into precisely torquing the wheels every time.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The specs should be written with the expectation that everyone uses antiseize. :colbert:

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

sharkytm posted:

What sizes? There are cheap ones out there, but they kinda suck.

Not sure, I'm on my phone, but front wheel bearings on an s10, and a sensor ac pulley bearing.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

0toShifty posted:

I sprayed Fluid Film all over my steel wheels front and back when I bought my car new. That poo poo is nasty smelly, I think it's made of lanolin, but the wheels still look freaking perfect 3 years later. More importantly they don't stick to the hubs. VEGANS HATE THIS ONE NEAT TRICK.

Some fastener engineer would probably be mad at us for putting antisieze on the lugs though. I read a very interesting rant about rotor clamping and over tightening the lugs somewhere, but I can't remember where for the life of me. All I know is it scared me into precisely torquing the wheels every time.

Fluid Film is the poo poo. I use it on lots of stuff, including on boats. We spray the hydraulic line ends with it where they can't be protected with glue-lined heatshrink, and so long as you reapply every 3-6 months, it keeps the steel from rusting. The smell, well, you get used to that. It also works great on snowblower parts, it keeps the snow from sticking in the chute or in the impeller, and keeps rust at bay.

always be closing posted:

Not sure, I'm on my phone, but front wheel bearings on an s10, and a sensor ac pulley bearing.

If they're one-time things, I'd just use an appropriate-size impact socket.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Seminal Flu posted:

A little bit of neversieze on the lugs won't hurt a thing, if your torques are proper. Plus, it keeps the threads from galling/corroding to poo poo, for those of us in rusty areas.

No, your wheels aren't going to fall off. I've done it for over 20 years and I've never even had a properly-torqued nut even loosen, much less anything worse.

InitialDave posted:

Generally, you should use threaded fasteners clean and dry unless specifically instructed otherwise.

You probably won't hurt anything if you're sensible, but be aware you're changing the relationship between tightening torque and clamping force by about 10% or so depending on what you use.

This is what I mean. Your "torques" won't be proper since you're changing the friction coefficient with the anti-seize. So essentially you're over torquing your lugs and may be stretching/yielding the lug studs. :science:

I've never had a lug seize and I tighten them to the correct amount dry. Most are enclosed and I have mine off often enough it's not a big deal.

0toShifty posted:

Some fastener engineer would probably be mad at us for putting antisieze on the lugs though.

:wave:

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 17:05 on May 10, 2017

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Platystemon posted:

The specs should be written with the expectation that everyone uses antiseize. :colbert:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Platystemon posted:

Specs should be written explicitly calling out anti-seize or dry torque, not relying on what people's expectations might be. :colbert:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Larrymer posted:

This is what I mean. Your "torques" won't be proper since you're changing the friction coefficient with the anti-seize. So essentially you're over torquing your lugs and may be stretching/yielding the lug studs. :science:

I'll put my lugs with a bit of loctite installed using torque sticks against a shop using the brap brap until the braping stops any day.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

0toShifty posted:

Some fastener engineer would probably be mad at us for putting antisieze on the lugs though.
Not mad, the thing about this stuff is the old "guidance of wise men and blind obedience of fools" deal. Perfectly ok to use anti-seize wherever you like, provided you understand the effect it has and take that into account.

I'm of the opinion that most designs and torque specs aren't taking the lug studs/bolts anywhere near their limits, so you can likely get away with quite a bit of variation without coming a cropper, but that's not the same as a broad "yeah, it's fine".

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

Uthor posted:

Specs should be written explicitly calling out anti-seize or dry torque, not relying on what people's expectations might be. :colbert:

They should have designed the wheels to be secure whether the lugs are finger tight or brapped for a solid ten seconds. :v:

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
Anyone have any opinions on a good set of plastic interior trim panel removal tools? I'm looking at a bunch of highly reviewed sets on amazon and they seem more or less identical, is that the case?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i have the harbor freight ones and they're OK for how cheap they are. if you have an expensive car or will remove interior panels often its probably better to spend some money for higher quality ones but i just dont care thaaaaaat much

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
I bought a set from China on eBay 2 years ago for like $5, 7 pieces and it's been great.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Seconding the harbor freight set. Super cheap and get the job done.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Big Taint posted:

Pretty sure on a Cavalier you're not supposed to change the oil and the rest of the car is knackered by the time the engine seizes.

A girl I know had a mid-90s Cavalier. 2 years ago she bought a CRV when the cavalier was at something like 500,000KMs. She gave it to her uncle who still uses it as his daily driver. My friend (who is her brother in law) and I basically were mouth agaped when she said the KMs on it and that the only work it ever had done was brakes and fluid changes. I still see it around town periodically.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

sharkytm posted:

Fluid Film is the poo poo. I use it on lots of stuff, including on boats. We spray the hydraulic line ends with it where they can't be protected with glue-lined heatshrink, and so long as you reapply every 3-6 months, it keeps the steel from rusting. The smell, well, you get used to that. It also works great on snowblower parts, it keeps the snow from sticking in the chute or in the impeller, and keeps rust at bay.

I have the undercoating​ fluid film kit and its amazing. As is the thick grease version. We pressure wash all our equipment a few times a week, and then hose it down with fluid film. Tracked equipment is a maintenance nightmare, but that poo poo makes it at least moderately easier.

I even use it for leather treatment on my work boots. Also a good dielectric for snowplows/block heater plugs, etc.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Hypnolobster posted:

I have the undercoating​ fluid film kit and its amazing. As is the thick grease version. We pressure wash all our equipment a few times a week, and then hose it down with fluid film. Tracked equipment is a maintenance nightmare, but that poo poo makes it at least moderately easier.

I even use it for leather treatment on my work boots. Also a good dielectric for snowplows/block heater plugs, etc.

Agreed. Careful around some rubber, it'll soften some of it.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Any way to keep Li-ion batteries cool during heavy use? I learned how to keep the electric motor cool, but my 18v ryobi angle grinder is overheating its batteries in half an hour or so of use

Or should I pick up some Ni-Cad batteries instead?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Just dunk it in a bucket of ice water every now and again.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

NiCd batteries won't overheat because they'll be dead before they get that hot :v: Also, if you've never used a NiCd power tool, you've never understood why some people were universally anti-cordless until the current crop of lithium tools.

If you're managing to run a lithium battery so hard that the tool is shutting down due to thermal protection, just get a second battery and swap.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Well, that's a frustrating answer, but I suppose that it's the trade-off for not needing a compressor

And I've never even seen a 12/18v Ni-Cad battery before, but for whatever reason, my charger and tools are compatible. I know that they're less heat sensitive, but I guess that there's a reason I've never seen one...

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Get a corded grinder, some jobs are still best with corded tools. Running for 30+ minutes at very high amps is pretty intense for any battery (exceot maybe a big sealed lead acid battery). Those cordless grinders, despite all the marketing claims, are probably more designed for quick jobs like taking some rust off a part or cutting a tube in half. I bet if you read the manual it even says there's a limit to the runtime before thermal issues like you're seeing.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

mod sassinator posted:

Those cordless grinders, despite all the marketing claims, are probably more designed for quick jobs like taking some rust off a part or cutting a tube in half stealing a motorbike in London.
Edited for UK accuracy.

I second this, though. I killed my Bosch Li-Ion "sawzall", bought an own-brand corded one for half as much, and it's a lot more useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I do like my cordless sawzaaawwww for cutting branches and poo poo out in the yard.