Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"
Here are the top 3 plans, with their distinct features.

Don't Cut the Rope (Coastal CAS, cruise missile strike on Cabinda bridge, cruise missile deep strikes on FOBs and radar - Dance Officer
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3815107&userid=220913#post472231222

Gatecrasher (Coastal CAS, cruise missile deep strikes on FOBs and radar, Free State nuisance raid) - Bacarruda
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3815107&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=145#post472181147

Whirlwind (Coastal CAS only, mostly iron bombs) -- Loel
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3815107&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=146#post472210221

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 18:54 on May 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

Bacarruda posted:

Here are the top 3 plans, with their distinct features.

Don't Cut the Rope (Coastal CAS, cruise missile strike on Cabinda bridge, cruise missile deep strikes on FOBs and radar - Dance Officer
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3815107&userid=220913#post472231222

Gatecrasher (Coastal CAS, cruise missile deep strikes on FOBs and radar, Free State nuisance raid) - Bacarruda
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3815107&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=145#post472181147

Whirlwind (Coastal CAS only, mostly iron bombs) -- Loel
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3815107&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=146#post472210221

Shame Don't Cut The Rope had the bridge strike - that was the sole reason I didn't vote for it.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

gatecrasher

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

David Corbett posted:

Shame Don't Cut The Rope had the bridge strike - that was the sole reason I didn't vote for it.

If the bridge strike is not to your liking, you can always vote Short Circuit

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Gatecrasher since I was advocating for attacking the Free State from the start.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
If the votes still count, I say Gatecrasher sounds good.

I seem to have a relative flying in the Tornados...Hello, veryslightlymad. Drop a bomb on my behalf.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
I guess I'll join the gatecrasher bandwagon. Hope I haven't hosed up horribly. :uhaul:

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
Remember, a vote for Gatecrasher is a vote for the UN changing the RoE it's imposed on the Chinese, thus getting us all killed while leaving.

Edit: nope I am thinking of cut the rope. Either way, we should be hammering the dictator instead of diverting forces against the free state and gatecrasher does that.

Quinntan fucked around with this message at 20:13 on May 12, 2017

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Still not sure why everyone is so terrified about hitting a bridge in Angolan territory that exists to allow transit to another Angolan territory and that would prevent the dictator from making the Free State surrender its territory and forces to him personally.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Quinntan posted:

Remember, a vote for Gatecrasher is a vote for the UN changing the RoE it's imposed on the Chinese, thus getting us all killed while leaving.

I thought that was Don't Cut the Rope :v:

The Sandman posted:

Still not sure why everyone is so terrified about hitting a bridge in Angolan territory that exists to allow transit to another Angolan territory and that would prevent the dictator from making the Free State surrender its territory and forces to him personally.

It might have something to do with the DRC crying out about THEIR bridge being destroyed(it doesn't matter where it gets destroyed, they will cry to the international communities that THEIR bridge was destroyed, no words you have will change this, at all), thus getting their Allies a reason to gently caress us, as well as the Chinese any reason whatsoever to gently caress us(they want this!).

So! It isn't the DRC that is the problem, it's the people listening to them who want a reason to turn our PMC into paste.

Groggy nard fucked around with this message at 20:10 on May 12, 2017

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Quinntan posted:

Gatecrasher? How? It doesn't bomb the bridge at Cabinda.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

Groggy nard posted:

I thought that was Don't Cut the Rope :v:

It might have something to do with the DRC crying out about THEIR bridge being destroyed(it doesn't matter where it gets destroyed, they will cry to the international communities that THEIR bridge was destroyed, no words you have will change this, at all), thus getting their Allies a reason to gently caress us, as well as the Chinese any reason whatsoever to gently caress us(they want this!).

So! It isn't the DRC that is the problem, it's the people listening to them who want a reason to turn our PMC into paste.

The DRC has been letting the Free State move war materiel across their territory without a hint of protest and they're about to let the dictator do the same. They have no leg to stand on here.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

The Sandman posted:

The DRC has been letting the Free State move war materiel across their territory without a hint of protest and they're about to let the dictator do the same. They have no leg to stand on here.

Let me tell you a little secret.

China doesn't care.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!

Groggy nard posted:

Let me tell you a little secret.

China doesn't care.

They're going to try to gently caress us over no matter what we do. It'll be harder for them to do it if the dictator doesn't have a secure exclave in the form of Cabinda to fall back on.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
Its going to be a reddit wet dream when a flight of Tesla branded F-22s destroys pur entire force.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

The Sandman posted:

They're going to try to gently caress us over no matter what we do. It'll be harder for them to do it if the dictator doesn't have a secure exclave in the form of Cabinda to fall back on.

They want to gently caress us anywhere they can. Right now, as long as we don't go around attacking states outside the civil war, they can only do it on the negotiation table due to international pressure.

If we give them the excuse to, even a practically nonexistent one like bombing the DRC bridge, their politicians will rub their hands together and begin laughing as they tell their secretaries to dial up the Admiral in charge of the carrier group with orders to return to their old ROE regarding Hired Goons being nothing more than a bunch of pirates, to be persecuted without regard to current international location. When the UN tries to ask them "what the gently caress" their politicians will just wave their hands and say "They attacked a bridge made by us that was critical to an outside state! CRIMINALS! CRIMINALSSSSSSSS!" and end the call.

Groggy nard fucked around with this message at 20:29 on May 12, 2017

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
You all are gonna feel silly when you find out the export F-22 is just two F-2s welded together.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

Groggy nard posted:

They want to gently caress us anywhere they can. Right now, as long as we don't go around attacking states outside the civil war, they can only do it on the negotiation table due to international pressure.

If we give them the excuse to, even a practically nonexistent one like bombing the DRC bridge, their politicians will rub their hands together and begin laughing as they tell their secretaries to dial up the Admiral in charge of the carrier group with orders to return to their old ROE regarding Hired Goons being nothing more than a bunch of pirates, to be persecuted without regard to current international location. When the UN tries to ask them "what the gently caress" their politicians will just wave their hands and say "They attacked a bridge made by us that was critical to an outside state! CRIMINALS! CRIMINALSSSSSSSS!" and end the call.

This is rank paranoia. I'd nothing else, they don't want to waste the money on ordinance. They are dealing with an uprising after all. China doesn't hold personal grudges like supervillains.

I mean, they would love to swat us out of the sky, but a deliberate raid on a cargo ship is a bit too much work.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Added Space posted:

This is rank paranoia. I'd nothing else, they don't want to waste the money on ordinance. They are dealing with an uprising after all. China doesn't hold personal grudges like supervillains.

I mean, they would love to swat us out of the sky, but a deliberate raid on a cargo ship is a bit too much work.

I dunno, it has been outright stated that they will bend over backwards to gently caress us.

Like, I will admit that it's possible that I am being overly cautious, but at the same time it might not be?

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
If given the opportunity to skull gently caress the guys that destroyed a good chunk of their flagship fighter force, anyone would jump on that poo poo. Why do you think its the PRC making up the UN peacekeeping force and not the Americans or a joint Euro force? They're chomping at the bit that we gently caress the dog on this so they can poo poo all over us and regain some of the hurt pride after Lhasa.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!

Groggy nard posted:

If you think they'll go to those lengths we might as well disband, because they'll come after us no matter what we do and keep on it until we're destroyed.

I say you're wrong, and that attacking a bridge in Angolan territory isn't going to suddenly turn the world against us when somebody in our employ blowing up a hotel full of Western corporate executives didn't.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Petition to adopt the Single Transferable Vote system to plan voting, especially given the number of options. I'd be happy to tally votes and abstain from voting myself, to reduce workload on Yooper.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

This is the same argument we've been having for days at this point, and I don't think there's much left to say. If people don't want to hit the bridge then they don't want to hit the bridge, oh well our loss. I think we should, I think the threat of China is WAY overblown (especially now that we know Silicon Valley is about to start a shooting war with them that we can escape under cover of), but that's what people want apparently.

At least we can pray that Rohan does it for us or something.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

They will pursue us when possible and congruent with their interests, and if given a chance to do it without external costs, will try to destroy us. We're pretty close to being fine, we just need to not give them a solid pretense.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

I agree that if China could gently caress us over with little to no extra effort they would. But with the Corporate Overlords showing up to do battle and potentially start a world war, I think the Chinese will have much bigger priorities than chasing us on our way out (unless we voluntarily stick around after the crisis boils over).

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Will run the mission as soon as I can. Hopefully this weekend. As usual will post a few hours ahead of time so you people can watch me fail run it.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Meat has been staring at the various specs of our systems and the Raptors, and believes he can locate but not identify a Raptor from beyond its firing range if they're equipped with AIM-120Cs since they're very hard to spot by radar but they're not, you know, actually invisible. If it's AIM-120Ds, we're just boned. On top of that, without being able to ID what kind of aircraft it is that far out, we'd have to blind fire on it, which on top of our munitions not being EO/IR guidance at BVR ranges, means that if that thing wasn't hostile before it is now so RIP us. He's unsure how well our Meteors will fare at trying to shoot one down, but assumes not very well, so we'd have to fire a whole bunch to try to get one to hit. To say nothing of the fact that the Reaper isn't going to dodge much of anything should the Raptors decide to just return fire. While he personally isn't threatened by this, he has become quite attached to his drone and would prefer it not be destroyed, so his recommendation is "let's not do any of that".

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Give the electric car company man what he wants.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

The Sandman posted:

If you think they'll go to those lengths we might as well disband, because they'll come after us no matter what we do and keep on it until we're destroyed.

I say you're wrong, and that attacking a bridge in Angolan territory isn't going to suddenly turn the world against us when somebody in our employ blowing up a hotel full of Western corporate executives didn't.

The difference is that right now China has an excuse to park their only two Carriers near us to deal with a conflict we are directly involved in. With the Hotel, they did not have this opportunity.

Once we leave here, oh hey guess what the Chinese Fleet gets to cool their heels playing Peacekeeper for however long while we take employment possibly on the other side of the world, where they can at most do small scale things against us that we can actually defend or retaliate against. Really, our best option imo is to smile and wave at their strongest naval air power while they watch their hated enemies leave unmolested.

Groggy nard fucked around with this message at 22:40 on May 12, 2017

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

paragon1 posted:

Give the electric car company man what he wants.

I wonder if Col Musk is a play on Col Hammer. Elite mercenaries driving top of the line poo poo blowing everything up (I.e us)

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Z the IVth posted:

I wonder if Col Musk is a play on Col Hammer. Elite mercenaries driving top of the line poo poo blowing everything up (I.e us)

No, it's a reference to Elon Musk, co-founder of Tesla Inc and 80th-or-thereabouts-richest person in the world. He can probably buy a wing of F-22s with pocket money, plus command of the squadron.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Well, the bridge is safe for this week.

So, those carriers are probably flying either J-15 Flying Sharks or J-31. These fly with PL-12C missiles, range 50 nm. The PL-12C have shorter legs and are a bit less reliable than the AIM-120, but they've got more then double the boom if they hit.

That said, China's bringing in about 80 planes; who knows how many the corps can bring in on container ships.. Suffice it to say that we really don't want to tangle with either force.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It's gonna be hilarious watching businessmen try to 'disrupt' the global military industry and gently caress up massively because they don't know poo poo about what they're doing.

We might actually be way less goony than the people we'll fight and work for in the future!

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Has it been confirmed that the Chinese carriers and the freaking Apple and Tesla armies are actually on station yet? Based on the news feed, it sounds like China's carriers are still in transit via the really long way around (Pacific -> Cape of Good Hope (?!) -> South Atlantic) and Tesla's army has completed its ferry flight but is still unloading its armament.

For that matter, where has Tesla set up shop? Von Hoff hasn't been informed, so they aren't in Benguela, and I seriously doubt they're in either Cabinda or Luanda.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

Davin Valkri posted:

Has it been confirmed that the Chinese carriers and the freaking Apple and Tesla armies are actually on station yet? Based on the news feed, it sounds like China's carriers are still in transit via the really long way around (Pacific -> Cape of Good Hope (?!) -> South Atlantic) and Tesla's army has completed its ferry flight but is still unloading its armament.

For that matter, where has Tesla set up shop? Von Hoff hasn't been informed, so they aren't in Benguela, and I seriously doubt they're in either Cabinda or Luanda.

As Yooper has said many times, the carriers will be here after two missions elapse. The corps may be basing out of Nambia (or, hell, the DRC). There's quite a few Apartheid/Cold War airfields that no-one in the region is using. Actually doing the research on these African armed forces is quite the look into the effect the Cold War had on Africa back in the day.

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
Perhaps we should bomb all those airfields?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD

Added Space posted:

As Yooper has said many times, the carriers will be here after two missions elapse. The corps may be basing out of Nambia (or, hell, the DRC). There's quite a few Apartheid/Cold War airfields that no-one in the region is using. Actually doing the research on these African armed forces is quite the look into the effect the Cold War had on Africa back in the day.

I know, but I was under the impression that the campaign is ending after two missions elapse. So we won't have to deal with the Chinese carriers (except as the reason we're pulling out of the theater) and may have to deal with Tesla's units this or (more likely) next mission, if at all.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
One of the Corporations could be flying out of South Africa too. But it can be assumed that unless we spread do something stupid next mission, or a random event fires during this one, we won't have to worry about any of the three new factions (China/UN, Apple iMil, and Tesla).

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Coffeehitler posted:

One of the Corporations could be flying out of South Africa too. But it can be assumed that unless we spread do something stupid next mission, or a random event fires during this one, we won't have to worry about any of the three new factions (China/UN, Apple iMil, and Tesla).

Right, that's what I figured. Everybody was panicking about the Raptors coming in to gun us down this mission and I was wondering if I'd missed something, because I miss a lot of things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

darthbob88 posted:

No, it's a reference to Elon Musk, co-founder of Tesla Inc and 80th-or-thereabouts-richest person in the world. He can probably buy a wing of F-22s with pocket money, plus command of the squadron.

Forget Tesla, Musk owns and runs Space-X. He has orbital missiles rockets. Reusable orbital rockets. He can drop a rocket stage from orbit on a bullseye no sweat. Hell, they might even have their own spy satellites.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUcNq1PhPQk

Is getting to Mars worth a corporate vs major power war over lithium? :psyduck: