Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

mindphlux posted:

I'm taking a coworker to food terminal tomorrow evening - anything to avoid or definitely get? looking forward to trying the place.

The Grandmother's Pork BBQ for sure. Comes as a noodle bowl, or a platter for sharing. Both are awesome. Also - the pics in the menu of the rice bowls don't show anything for scale at all - they are HUGE. Be warned. Also amazing. Have tried the Cheese & Cheese and the Black Pepper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

mindphlux posted:

I'm taking a coworker to food terminal tomorrow evening - anything to avoid or definitely get? looking forward to trying the place.

I've had both the noodle and rice versions of the Grandma BBQ pork and liked them, but would probably always order the noodle version going forward. There is also a "plate to share" version.

I also very much liked the Thai chili pan mee. I'd suggest getting a noodle dish of some sort to try.

I really enjoyed their drinks, in particular the virgin mojito and refreshing ginger drinks.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
thx ^_^

we had a fair number of dishes, nothing transcendent, nothing below average either. I'll be back for sure, huge menu.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Anyone been to The Federal? I've been twice and would like to compare notes.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
I went once, it was good.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

I went to Dish Dive last night and it was pretty tasty, that's my story

Waiting for our table to clear thirty+ minutes after our res time was quite annoying though

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Went to F&B in Buckhead last week with the missus after a 3-year gap. Can confirm, still delicious.

I got the salmon and she got the filet mignon. Superb. We also got the cheese plate and cappuccino.

Even the rolls were great. God, we miss having good bread. Where can you get good bread in Atlanta? Like, really good bread. Publix occasionally has something decent in the bakery but it's never consistent.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

DizzyBum posted:

Went to F&B in Buckhead last week with the missus after a 3-year gap. Can confirm, still delicious.

I got the salmon and she got the filet mignon. Superb. We also got the cheese plate and cappuccino.

Even the rolls were great. God, we miss having good bread. Where can you get good bread in Atlanta? Like, really good bread. Publix occasionally has something decent in the bakery but it's never consistent.

PROOF in Inman Park has some of the best bread I've ever had.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I haven't been, but I'd be curious to hear your thoughts. I'm alright by Shaun Doty, he's got his Atlanta chops, I can't shittalk him. But, the federal menu reads like "inspired" american fare, and the menu is $$$ - which is more or less why I haven't gone yet.

I love crab cakes, and french onion soup, and schnitzel, and trout, but that's like the kind of thing I try to nail at home on a lazy tuesday or something. not what I want to pay a ton of money for on a weekend night out.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

mindphlux posted:

But, the federal menu reads like "inspired" american fare, and the menu is $$$ - which is more or less why I haven't gone yet.

I've been twice and price has been my main gripe, and I am really not one to generally complain about cost. While I know basically what my bill is going to be before I get it, there is still the feeling of sticker shocker. I very much feel like I'm paying the place's rent and everything is 30% more than I feel it should be. They are located in the drat center of midtown, so I logically know it is going to be expensive, but you really feel it.

The first time I went I had a crab cake that was good, but very small for the price. I also had the pork schnitzel, which I thought was great, and has been the only thing that I've thought was worth the menu price. I also had a dessert and a mocktail or two, which were just okay and the service at the bar was kind of lacking. My bill was $68 pre-tip, which as I write this I realize wasn't too awful. It was still more than I thought it was worth and left me feeling I could have had a similarly enjoyable meal elsewhere at lower cost. If I go back in the future, I'd probably skip either the appetizer or dessert and get the schnitzel.

My second visit, last weekend, was much worse on the value scale. I had the flatbread appetizer, which I thought was okay and not a transcendent item as some reviews seem to make it. What was the real kick in the balls was the $62 ribeye and $8 side of beets. I rarely order steak when I'm out. I can achieve some very good results at home doing sous vide steaks. The last four steaks I've ordered at a restaurant have been two each at Killen's Steakhouse (super excellent, nationally acclaimed steakhouse outside of Houston) and at The Capital Grille (Cherry Hill, NJ location where my best friend is a chef). The Capital Grille steaks both times was their porcini rubbed ribeye with some 15 year Balsamic that are something like $52/53. The Killen's steaks were both ribeyes of different sizes, aging, and ranches and were probably in the $60 to $90 range.

The $62 steak at The Federal was nowhere near any of those other steaks. The quality of the meat was way behind those examples. Also, my steak was nowhere near as well cooked. It was cooked in a cast iron pan and I think they cooked one end of the steak way too long. That was the side I started to eat from, and I got way too far into the steak until I got meat that was close to the rareness I ordered. The cooked bands around the entire steak were way too big, but particularly egregious at that one end. I thought maybe I misspoke or was misheard and the steak was ordered medium well rather than medium rare. In contrast, the steakhouse steaks were cooked so drat perfectly. So the steak at The Federal was just nowhere as good as a similarly priced steak at a good steakhouse. Maybe I am expecting too much from a steak that isn't from a steakhouse, but the menu does have a an entire "Steakhouse Traditions" section with four or five options.

The $8 beets were excellent. I believe they were shaved beets very lightly dressed with tahini. They were great. But they were also so very tiny for $8. So just spending $70 pre-tax on a disappointing steak and (excellent, but tiny in size) beets was drag. My server (I sat at a table rather than the bar after the first visit's mediocre service) was excellent, though.

I may be letting one severely overpriced and mediocre dish cloud my feelings overall, but I don't think The Federal is a good value, and I rarely think about value when eating out. If I go back, I'd probably get the schnitzel and severely limit the amount of other stuff I order. Or I'd go back if someone else is paying on a special occasion.

It also seems like the kind of place where the entire crowd is a bunch of middle aged, rich, white people. I'm 35 and I felt like I was the youngest person there and out of place.

Anyway, that's my thoughts. If sound like I'm letting one bad dish cloud my opinion or the price not being as bad as I make it out, do let me know. It is always good to get a check from someone else when you are being unreasonable.

e: Another gripe is that parking in the parking deck is $9. The restaurant gives you a voucher that should make the parking free, but has not worked either time. So after spending more than I'd like on dinner, I end up spending another $9 to have parked for a little over an hour. I know that's not on the restaurant, but it is just another kick in the balls.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

You're not wrong. I only went one time, and while I'd go back it's not super high on my list of places to visit. I like the French onion soup a lot. The steak came out pretty good (it was a couple of months ago but I think I had the ribeye), but I would agree it wasn't a $50 steak. I wanted French fries and those were good as well.

Bill for two with a bottle of wine came out to like $200 which seemed a bit steep.

I'm interested in the prix fixe (soup/salad, steak frite and dessert for $30), but I'm not super sure when I'd go with it only available Monday-Friday 5-7.

It's a nice little restaurant, I just don't plan to go back immediately.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

venutolo posted:

I've been twice and price has been my main gripe, and I am really not one to generally complain about cost. While I know basically what my bill is going to be before I get it, there is still the feeling of sticker shocker. I very much feel like I'm paying the place's rent and everything is 30% more than I feel it should be. They are located in the drat center of midtown, so I logically know it is going to be expensive, but you really feel it.

The first time I went I had a crab cake that was good, but very small for the price. I also had the pork schnitzel, which I thought was great, and has been the only thing that I've thought was worth the menu price. I also had a dessert and a mocktail or two, which were just okay and the service at the bar was kind of lacking. My bill was $68 pre-tip, which as I write this I realize wasn't too awful. It was still more than I thought it was worth and left me feeling I could have had a similarly enjoyable meal elsewhere at lower cost. If I go back in the future, I'd probably skip either the appetizer or dessert and get the schnitzel.

My second visit, last weekend, was much worse on the value scale. I had the flatbread appetizer, which I thought was okay and not a transcendent item as some reviews seem to make it. What was the real kick in the balls was the $62 ribeye and $8 side of beets. I rarely order steak when I'm out. I can achieve some very good results at home doing sous vide steaks. The last four steaks I've ordered at a restaurant have been two each at Killen's Steakhouse (super excellent, nationally acclaimed steakhouse outside of Houston) and at The Capital Grille (Cherry Hill, NJ location where my best friend is a chef). The Capital Grille steaks both times was their porcini rubbed ribeye with some 15 year Balsamic that are something like $52/53. The Killen's steaks were both ribeyes of different sizes, aging, and ranches and were probably in the $60 to $90 range.

The $62 steak at The Federal was nowhere near any of those other steaks. The quality of the meat was way behind those examples. Also, my steak was nowhere near as well cooked. It was cooked in a cast iron pan and I think they cooked one end of the steak way too long. That was the side I started to eat from, and I got way too far into the steak until I got meat that was close to the rareness I ordered. The cooked bands around the entire steak were way too big, but particularly egregious at that one end. I thought maybe I misspoke or was misheard and the steak was ordered medium well rather than medium rare. In contrast, the steakhouse steaks were cooked so drat perfectly. So the steak at The Federal was just nowhere as good as a similarly priced steak at a good steakhouse. Maybe I am expecting too much from a steak that isn't from a steakhouse, but the menu does have a an entire "Steakhouse Traditions" section with four or five options.

The $8 beets were excellent. I believe they were shaved beets very lightly dressed with tahini. They were great. But they were also so very tiny for $8. So just spending $70 pre-tax on a disappointing steak and (excellent, but tiny in size) beets was drag. My server (I sat at a table rather than the bar after the first visit's mediocre service) was excellent, though.

I may be letting one severely overpriced and mediocre dish cloud my feelings overall, but I don't think The Federal is a good value, and I rarely think about value when eating out. If I go back, I'd probably get the schnitzel and severely limit the amount of other stuff I order. Or I'd go back if someone else is paying on a special occasion.

It also seems like the kind of place where the entire crowd is a bunch of middle aged, rich, white people. I'm 35 and I felt like I was the youngest person there and out of place.

Anyway, that's my thoughts. If sound like I'm letting one bad dish cloud my opinion or the price not being as bad as I make it out, do let me know. It is always good to get a check from someone else when you are being unreasonable.

e: Another gripe is that parking in the parking deck is $9. The restaurant gives you a voucher that should make the parking free, but has not worked either time. So after spending more than I'd like on dinner, I end up spending another $9 to have parked for a little over an hour. I know that's not on the restaurant, but it is just another kick in the balls.

I'm glad to see you gripe about price. I know you don't do it a lot, and it makes me feel like a cheapass.

me and my gal make really good money nowadays, but I definitely solidly came up middle / upper middle class, with my only handout my education. I've lived on a monthly budget of around $500 after housing. I feel like it's reasonable to be upset about a $9 parking fee for an hour, or like splurging on a $50-60 steak and not having it absolutely perfect. I mean I'll pay for nice expensive food, but every dollar up or down really means something to me, I guess. Give me a $30 ribeye, and it's not cooked perfectly, ohwell - I know food cost was probably $7.5-10, so fair enough. $60 steak? dude come on. you're paying someone's rent for sure. which is fine if you value the food and experience, but if not? ...

I also hate the experience - and I've had a lot of them recently - of feeling out of place. I really feel you on the middle aged rich white people thing. I know we're both well off white dudes too, but I really know what you mean. There's just the feeling like, these people literally could not care less about the food or the price of what they're eating, or anything else - they're just at the new hip place in town financed on a mountain of debt that will probably crumble in less than a year, but ohwell, what can you do, guess I'll eat this $60 lovely steak now!

The part that bugs me is I feel like new places like this in really trendy locations tend to anchor development (or redevelopment) efforts in Atlanta. It's not even about the rich white people - it's about the character of Atlanta and where the city is headed. I love all the new development, I'm all for density and transit, pro-beltline, I'm involved in local NPU stuff - but I feel like that restaurants and commercial set the tone of who can afford to live in Atlanta, and - sure - to use your words, whether they feel out of place or not. It's been a gripe of mine about ford fry restaurants - I hate him so much because he pushes the price envelope - and people seem to gobble up the trendy new places regardless - which in turn opens up space to allow places like the Federal pop up. "Hey, if someone on the westside is OK with paying $60 for a whole fish, surely we can charge the same for french onion soup and lovely steak in midtown, right?"

and they aren't incorrect. newcomers to Atlanta I think don't have a sense for the baseline on rent, cost of living, etc. you can get someone from NYC who thinks a single bedroom $1300/mo apartment is a bargain. and landowners are taking advantage of that.

dunnooooooooooooo, don't mean to devolve the conversation, but just your comments about the price of the food, and paying someone's rent really hits home. :/

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

mindphlux posted:

I know we're both well off white dudes too, but I really know what you mean.

Clearly us white dudes who live a comfortable existence are the most persecuted group of people.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

The Federal is spitting distance from Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta, where much of its lunch hour clientele works. Seemed a little over-catering.

Fun fact, Ford Fry is speaking at my ad agency in midtown today, blocks from The Federal. There are printed pictures of him all around the office. My boss loves him & used to be a cook himself. I wouldn't call him "in touch", but it becomes irrelevant when you're just glad-handing about local connections and personal success.

Edit: So if you have any burning questions for Ford Fry, I'll ask them in person today.

Talk is over. Summary: to me he's a concept producer, not so much a chef. By producer I mean a middle man between creative folks and investors. We learned nothing.

kuskus fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Apr 12, 2017

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

So where do y'all like to go for ethnic groceries, in particular Mexican? I went to Mercado Fresco, and it was cool, but kind of small. Thanks for any advice!

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

So where do y'all like to go for ethnic groceries, in particular Mexican? I went to Mercado Fresco, and it was cool, but kind of small. Thanks for any advice!
Supermercado Chicago or Buford Highway Farmers Market. The former is great because they have endless dried corn husks and carry blue masa. The latter has insulated coolers full of fresh tortillas made fresh by abuelas.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

mindphlux posted:

It's been a gripe of mine about ford fry restaurants - I hate him so much because he pushes the price envelope - and people seem to gobble up the trendy new places regardless - which in turn opens up space to allow places like the Federal pop up. "Hey, if someone on the westside is OK with paying $60 for a whole fish, surely we can charge the same for french onion soup and lovely steak in midtown, right?"

Probably my most annoying dining experience in retrospect the past couple years was Beetlecat for this very reason. Had a simple, good meal of seafood tapas and OK service with my wife, and then the bill comes and blows me out of my socks. I live just down the street from it and was thinking hey, neighborhood fish restaurant, cool, and nooooope!

(We've been back for the DJ/drinks in the basement on a Friday night though. That's OK.)

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum
Dunno if anyone has mentioned it yet but I am in love with Nicks Food to Go. A small hole in the wall greek place that has a couple picnic tables outside. The best Gyro I have ever had!

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Nick's is great. I hope they are able to survive that new stuff going up around them.

Chicken-fried sweetbread poboy with apple catsup, some fennel slaw, and other stuff on Leidenheimer french bread at Venkman's is the best thing I've eaten in recent memory.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
went to the new popup thing in gato last night, Parnass Savang's thai concept Market

https://atlanta.eater.com/2017/4/26/15180332/market-pop-up-gato-parnass-lim-savang

it was seriously fuckin good. this kid knows flavor. had a whole steamed trout that was simultaneously really subtle, and that hit me over the head with flavor. some asparagus with crispy rice, a XO kinda sauce, and trout roe that I could eat for days, and some pork belly with maybe one of the best curries I have ever had.

the food was all pretty simple, but just the execution was really good across the board. check it out!

also I hadn't heard of the place that went in the Top Flr space yet, Bon Ton - but their menu looks good (if expensive). Definitely next up on my list - it's a sandwich / seafood boil type place from the crawfish shack folks on buford highway, if you hadn't heard.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
I'm glad to here Talat Market is good. One of my food friends told me that the guy was really good and I should go when it starts. It is on my shortlist of places to visit soon.

I went to Bon Ton for lunch last weekend and had a good meal there. Another food friend has been there two or three times and loves it. I haven't been enough to feel confident in any particular feelings about it, but at a minimum, I'm happy to have that sort of food in much closer proximity to me.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
world famous eh

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

What's in the sauce!

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

mindphlux posted:

world famous eh

Everyone who lives in my apartment is well aware of it.

kuskus posted:

What's in the sauce!

1½ c. water
¼ c. soy sauce
2 tbsp. sesame oil
6 oz. ginger ale
1 tbsp. minced ginger
4 tbsp. minced garlic
4 oz. dark brown sugar
4 oz. toasted (300°F for 3 hours) white sugar
500 g. gochujang

Reduce over heat to desired consistency.

venutolo fucked around with this message at 22:39 on May 7, 2017

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Tried to do Talat Market tonight but was thwarted by whatever the hell is their seating scheme. I show up a little before opening and put my name on the wait list. A few minutes after opening, they seat something like six or eight people. Then they wait a few more minutes and seat another few people. Then a few minutes later they seat another couple people. At this point it is 6:15 and they're still seating people from the pre-opening wait list. So I left.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

venutolo posted:

Tried to do Talat Market tonight but was thwarted by whatever the hell is their seating scheme. I show up a little before opening and put my name on the wait list. A few minutes after opening, they seat something like six or eight people. Then they wait a few more minutes and seat another few people. Then a few minutes later they seat another couple people. At this point it is 6:15 and they're still seating people from the pre-opening wait list. So I left.

yeah I will admit, that is the one thing I would be wary of. we went on a cold rainy friday night at 8:30. Restaurant was full, there was one two top ahead of us, no one else waiting. We ended up waiting about 15 minutes, so go to observe their flow a bit. They appeared to have some trouble with seating and servicing that number of people, so I can't imagine if there was actually a wait or something. about 8 other people came in after us, but by then folks were getting up from their ~8pm seatings, so it didn't appear to be an issue.

they all seemed pretty young and inexperienced (despite the good food), so dunno, might just be kinda their trial by fire period. I can't imagine I'd be any better at managing a crowd of hungry folks, and I really wanna do a pop-up type thing, so not gonna cast the first stone.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 04:34 on May 8, 2017

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
hey, can I get some impartial opinions? grindhouse?

been a solid weeknight burg/trivia/beer destination for me for years, but have recently had some undercooked burgers (read: mid-rare, which I don't think is ideal for the style of burger they're going for) at their decatur place. just wondering other folks experience or lack thereof.

the atlanta burger scene is pretty all over the place, I'm feeling. a few friends of mine recently got into a pretty intense online debate over farmburger vs yeahburger, vs "all-bougie-burgers-are-a-farce", and I'm kinda torn. having gone to H&F a few times recently and had pretty average burgers only makes me all the more torn. :/

my dirty atl-burger secret : the burgers at funtime bowl on buford highway are maybe my favorite :unsmith: and their sysco hot wings? my god, best wings in atlanta for sure. being able to bowl and drink 128oz megapitchers of beer for a nominal cost while eating said greasy food probably doesn't hurt my opinion of their quality though...

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 07:57 on May 11, 2017

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

mindphlux posted:

hey, can I get some impartial opinions? grindhouse?

been a solid weeknight burg/trivia/beer destination for me for years, but have recently had some undercooked burgers (read: mid-rare, which I don't think is ideal for the style of burger they're going for) at their decatur place. just wondering other folks experience or lack thereof.

the atlanta burger scene is pretty all over the place, I'm feeling. a few friends of mine recently got into a pretty intense online debate over farmburger vs yeahburger, vs "all-bougie-burgers-are-a-farce", and I'm kinda torn. having gone to H&F a few times recently and had pretty average burgers only makes me all the more torn. :/

my dirty atl-burger secret : the burgers at funtime bowl on buford highway are maybe my favorite :unsmith: and their sysco hot wings? my god, best wings in atlanta for sure. being able to bowl and drink 128oz megapitchers of beer for a nominal cost while eating said greasy food probably doesn't hurt my opinion of their quality though...

I haven't been to a Grindhouse in a couple years, but I always though the food was pretty good. I did have better experiences at the Sweet Auburn location compared to the Piedmont location. I've not been to any of the other locations.

I now want to get a greasy bowling alley burger.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

I've had two people in the past ~3 months tell me the burger they had at Fred's was the best of their lives. Not in Atlanta, in their lives, and these people are decently well traveled.

I don't get it though. It was a good but not amazing burg the one time I had it :shrug:

Seconding that Sweet Auburn Market Grindhouse is the best location I've been to. Only other one I tried was Decatur though.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
actually accidentally ended up having lunch at grindhouse decatur today, and the burger was more or less perfect. maybe it's a weekend shift thing, my bad experiences have been on like sundays and saturdays, when they're pretty busy too.

venutolo, do you bowl? atlanta thread meetup at funtime bowl for greasy sysco food! :)

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

Has anyone been to Ghion Cultural Hall for Ethiopian food?

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

For what it's worth, I remember having a really good burger at Curb Market's Grindhouse stand. That was over a year ago though. I don't get out enough. :shrug:

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

mindphlux posted:

venutolo, do you bowl? atlanta thread meetup at funtime bowl for greasy sysco food! :)

I haven't bowled since a Christmas party in 2012.

Apropos of burger chat, I ate lunch at the new Mix'd Up Burger place (next to Poor Hendrix). It was nothing special. If I lived in the area, I'd go there for a quick and decent bite, but not a place I'd go out of my way to get to.

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

godzirra will trample your scrotum
So I work in the middle of Duluth now. Any suggestions to try out here?

MJ's Tacos and Humble House in the Great Wall are current favs. I checked out Masterpiece, but mebbe I didn't order the right thing.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

godzirraRAWR posted:

MJ's Tacos and Humble House in the Great Wall are current favs. I checked out Masterpiece, but mebbe I didn't order the right thing.

I'll have to check out MJ's next week. I go to Thank U Chicken fairly often and have noticed MJ's but not stopped in.

Korean:
* Thank U Chicken
* Harue
* 9292 (BBQ)
* Breakers (BBQ)
* Bonjuk
* Jang Dok Dae (Not much English. Maybe none. I don't recall. Went with a Korean friend who ordered for us.)
* Boxete
* Jang Su Jang

Japanese:
* Haru Ichiban
* Blue Fin Sushi

Taiwanese:
* TJ House

Vietnamese:
* Banh Mi Cafe

Pizza:
* O4W Pizza

Cajun/Seafood:
* Fat Crab

venutolo fucked around with this message at 20:59 on May 12, 2017

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Had lunch at Bon Ton today. It was pretty good! I'll be back for more po boys.

godzirraRAWR posted:

My favorite pizza place in town moved to Duluth from Old Forth Ward (and yet is still named O4W Pizza). Their Grandma Pie is amazing and they apparently also have a Detroit style that I'm going to have to drive to loving Duluth to try.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Lawen posted:

Had lunch at Bon Ton today. It was pretty good! I'll be back for more po boys.

My favorite pizza place in town moved to Duluth from Old Forth Ward (and yet is still named O4W Pizza). Their Grandma Pie is amazing and they apparently also have a Detroit style that I'm going to have to drive to loving Duluth to try.

The Detroit pie is awesome. That's my favorite now. The last two times I've been for lunch it has not been available. :(

Last time I talked to the guy, he said he couldn't make a whole bunch of it because of the pan or something.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

venutolo posted:

The Detroit pie is awesome. That's my favorite now. The last two times I've been for lunch it has not been available. :(

Last time I talked to the guy, he said he couldn't make a whole bunch of it because of the pan or something.

I was in Austin a few weeks ago and had amazing Detroit style at Via 313 and I'm kind of obsessed now. Thanks for the heads up that it's not always available. I'll call ahead; I'd be heartbroken if I drove all the way up there and they didn't have it.

Three Cities Pizza in Sweet Auburn Market has a decent Detroit style but it doesn't compare to the Via 313 pie (nor, I suspect, to the O4W pie). They deliver though and I'm going to ask for it well done next time I order, that might make it better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
I think I recall the situation with the Detroit pie at O4W Pizza now a bit better. I think I asked if the Detroit pie was available as a whole pie for ordering and it was not because they only had one pan and couldn't make pies on demand. I think this was when they were experimenting with it. I might imagine it has been popular enough to warrant buying more pans, so the Detroit pie might be more readily available. All that being said, I'd definitely call ahead to make sure it is available.